ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Weihenstephaner_Vitus_beer.JPG

vitus4.jpg

Sip of Sunshine is amazing. And I hate IPAs.

The guy comes down from Lawson's twice a week and brews a limited batch at Two Roads Brewery. A case goes for around $180-200. They rarely make the shelves.

Heard there's another similar IPA they're starting to brew from Lawson's. Forgot the name, but it doesn't matter; they're hard to find too.

Nice, that's not too far from where I base and think there are some closer Buy-Rites I could check too. Thanks!
Fanu, Einstok is pretty much in any halfway decent beer place around here. Their distribution on NJ is pretty broad. Personally though, I'm not a fan. Nothing bad about their brews....just pretty bland.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Had to. And not only because I'm a fan. It's a damn good beer. Stocked at Little Brothers in Flemington. Crafted by the band's resident polymath, singer Bruce Dickinson.

trooperbeercan.jpg

Having read craft beer threads here in the past I have to say that the sophisticated tastes of board members here for good craft beers has increased exponentially.

Not a Sam Adams or Yuengling vote in the thread. That is real progress in my opinion. Gentleman, enjoy your craft beer experiences !

Reactions: RUshore99
Did you mean New Belgium's Fat Tire that recently started showing up in CNJ? I absolutely loved this beer on frequent trips to the Midwest but recently bought a 12 pack and wasn't as enamored for some reason.

fattire_l.png

Always found it overrated. I lived in Colorado for a while, where it's like ordering a Bud, and just never "got it." Preferred virtually every other CO beer.

Reactions: Underdogs88
Always found it overrated. I lived in Colorado for a while, where it's like ordering a Bud, and just never "got it." Preferred virtually every other CO beer.
Fat Tire was my gateway beer when I lived in Denver. I have to admit my tastes have changed and I never drink it now. But, their new brewery is two miles from my house and the tasting room opened about a month ago.....

Fat Tire was my gateway beer when I lived in Denver. I have to admit my tastes have changed and I never drink it now. But, their new brewery is two miles from my house and the tasting room opened about a month ago.....

I have good memories of Oskar Blues, Odell and Breckenridge breweries. Tommyknockers was a classic, too, and the perfect stop between Denver and the mountains.

New Belgium has some good stuff, just could never get that into Fat Tire. It was vexing because I wanted to like it (seem to remember some good specials), just didn't. I did get into Coors Light for a while, though - great for keeping hydrated during mid-July volleyball games!

Reactions: RUChoppin
I have good memories of Oskar Blues, Odell and Breckenridge breweries. Tommyknockers was a classic, too, and the perfect stop between Denver and the mountains.

New Belgium has some good stuff, just could never get that into Fat Tire. It was vexing because I wanted to like it (seem to remember some good specials), just didn't. I did get into Coors Light for a while, though - great for keeping hydrated during mid-July volleyball games!

I think the Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale was one of my favorites on my trip out to Colorado. Also enjoyed Fort Collins Brewery, if I remember right.

Tried Sweetwater's Goin' Coastal recently. IPA with a hint of pineapple and it was better than I expected.

GC-website-1.jpg

Reactions: Newbrunfus
I've never been a fan of candy and fruit flavored beers, but to each his own.

Right now I'm really enjoying IPAs. Kane Head High is by far the best local brew right now. If you have a chance to visit the brewery in Ocean you should check it out. They have an Imperial IPA aged in bourbon barrels on tap that is out of this world.

Reactions: rutexan84
I've never been a fan of candy and fruit flavored beers, but to each his own.

Right now I'm really enjoying IPAs. Kane Head High is by far the best local brew right now. If you have a chance to visit the brewery in Ocean you should check it out. They have an Imperial IPA aged in bourbon barrels on tap that is out of this world.

I simply can't do IPAs, no matter how often I try. I think it has something to do with this:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/are-you-a-supertaster.82905/

Not a Sam Adams or Yuengling vote in the thread. That is real progress in my opinion. Gentleman, enjoy your craft beer experiences !

Actually the 3rd reply to the thread had Sam Adams Porch Rocker. Since this thread was asking about "different" beers the Bud and Yuengling crowd (of which I admit being a member) probably didn't feel the need to reply.

One of my buddies works on the bottling line at River Horse. He gets to take home bottles that are either overfilled or underfilled, which is awesome for our tailgates. I haven't been too crazy about many of their beers, but their new IPA, Hippotizing, is actually pretty good.

Anyone been to Cypress in Edison? Their owner is a Rutgers alum. I think their beers are just okay though.

I simply can't do IPAs, no matter how often I try. I think it has something to do with this:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/are-you-a-supertaster.82905/

I used to dislike IPA's also because of their overly hoppy flavor. Then, I went on a tour of the Long Trail brewery in Vermont. One of the tour guides said the proper way to drink IPA's is as follows: 1.) inhale through your nose and hold your breath; 2.) drink the IPA; 3.) exhale through your mouth. It completely changed the taste of all IPA's for the better, IMO.

I used to dislike IPA's also because of their overly hoppy flavor. Then, I went on a tour of the Long Trail brewery in Vermont. One of the tour guides said the proper way to drink IPA's is as follows: 1.) inhale through your nose and hold your breath; 2.) drink the IPA; 3.) exhale through your mouth. It completely changed the taste of all IPA's for the better, IMO.

Thanks, I have tried that (neighbor is a beer snob who can't fathom that I don't love being hop bombed). It helped a bit, but it's just way too much. I mean, I can drink them, but I don't enjoy it. No matter, there's plenty of beer I do like.

I've found the Great Lakes company produces quite a few good beers; specifically Edmund Fitzgerald and Commodore Perry. I also love the Ommegang Three Philosophers.

Also, I like Beach Haus (I know some here don't, but everyone's tastes are different, so it's all good). The new double IPA Hopbahn is really good in my opinion. Like some of their tap room beers better than what you find on the store shelves; don't like the Cruiser so much, but love the Winter Rental in the colder months (cannot drink in the spring or summer.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT