ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tokyo - anyone ever been?

redlinehw

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2004
Anyone been there and know a good area around Tokyo for Airbnb? Looking for place to stay for 3 months next year.

thanks so much

Would absolutely love to go to Tokyo one day soon. Sorry can't be of any help!

Anyone been there and know a good area around Tokyo for Airbnb? Looking for place to stay for 3 months next year.

thanks so much
In the days before Airbnb, one could find old inns in the area of Asakusa, near Ueno Station (if memory serves). If possible, take the Shinkansen (the Bullet Train) to Kyoto and Osaka. The folks in Osaka tend to be friendly -- much more so than people in Tokyo -- and they're known for their sense of humor. At least that was how my experiences went. In any case, redline, have a wonderful time! Ganbatte ne!

Can’t help with Airbnb but I stay at the Sheraton near the US Embassy… pretty centrally located and has a great breakfast. Beware it’s an expensive city but is definitely worth a visit. I’ve be a few times but there is sooo much more to do and see. Get to a Tokyo Giants game, see the Tokyo fish market (4 AM start), and don’t miss having a sushi breakfast at one of the tiny restaurants near the market, and don’t skip a wagyu steak dinner.

thanks so much

Was there in September; if you can find something in Shibuya, that neighborhood was awesome (but would probably be pricey to stay there for months). Only walked through Roppongi one afternoon, but I think it’s supposed to have a bit more of a western presence.

I was there many years ago on business and really enjoyed it.

I don’t love long flights.

Got home from Tokyo on Friday afternoon and went to a Cub Scout pack meeting that evening. I was sort of whining about my 12-13 hour return flight (in a very nice business class seat). A dad I am friends with was in the FBI at the time. He said “Probably my worst flight like that was an Air China flight from Hong Kong. Everyone was smoking. I was in the last row handcuffed to a mass murderer we were extraditing. He was a hit man for the Chinese mob in New York…he actually was a good guy to chat with.”

So I try not to whine about travel now!

Was there in September; if you can find something in Shibuya, that neighborhood was awesome (but would probably be pricey to stay there for months). Only walked through Roppongi one afternoon, but I think it’s supposed to have a bit more of a western presence.
I was there several times but in the late 80's and 90's. I did stay in the Roppongi area and there were more western eating places in the area but I am not sure that is what you want for the Japanese experience. I always stayed in hotels. The subway system worked well although very crowded so if you find a place near a stop you should be able to get around fairly easily.

I was there several times but in the late 80's and 90's. I did stay in the Roppongi area and there were more western eating places in the area but I am not sure that is what you want for the Japanese experience. I always stayed in hotels. The subway system worked well although very crowded so if you find a place near a stop you should be able to get around fairly easily.

Agreed from a vacation perspective, but if staying somewhere for months at a time it might be nice to have a home base in an area with more western influence.

Reactions: idunno271828
I’ve been and stayed in Roppongi. Like others have said it’s the most “western” of the neighborhoods. If looking for airbnb try looking in Aoyama.

Got home from Tokyo on Friday afternoon and went to a Cub Scout pack meeting that evening. I was sort of whining about my 12-13 hour return flight (in a very nice business class seat). A dad I am friends with was in the FBI at the time. He said “Probably my worst flight like that was an Air China flight from Hong Kong. Everyone was smoking. I was in the last row handcuffed to a mass murderer we were extraditing. He was a hit man for the Chinese mob in New York…he actually was a good guy to chat with.”

Tired Sick Of It GIF by U by Kotex Brand

OMFG LOLOL!!!

I can't answer your questions but I was in Tokyo for just two days in 2019. As was mentioned above, it is a very crowded city, both above and below ground. Over a period of three months, it could easily wear you down. There are a few places that would make great weekends away that I recommend: 1) the Mt. Fuji area, and you'll be close enough that you can wait to see the weather forecast to ensure that the mountain will be "out" during your visit; 2) Nikko, a tranquil town with several temples about two hours to the north by train and 3) Kamakura, a beautiful town surrounded by park-like environment, delightful for walking.

These, along with the more distant Kyoto, Himeji Castle, Nara, and Hiroshima were my favorite destinations in Japan.

Enjoy your stay. Get used to have everyone look at your feet!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT