ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winter Weather Advisories Up for Much of Area (2-4") for Sat am

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
New thread since this is no longer likely just a minor nuisance event, although in reality it might not be much more than many got this morning (but didn't quite expect it N of 195). Advisories were just issued for early Saturday for 2-4" for Chester-Montco-Bucks-Hunterdon-Somerset-Union-NYC-LI and most counties N of that line, i.e., the counties in blue in the map below - with the exception that for Bergen-Passaic and the Hudson Valley/CT, the advisories are for 3-5" of snow. Less snow will fall to the south of the advisory counties, due to borderline temps/rain.

Honestly, the 2-4" advisory should really include the northern half of Middlesex, also (but that's not allowed, since the NWS needs to formally "split" counties to let them do that, like they've done for Burlington, Passaic, and Bergen - and Bucks/Montco in PA - and they also have coastal Ocean and Monmouth). If you look at the county map, Somerset and SI often get advisories while Middlesex doesn't because of the southern half, south of the Raritan, generally - if they cut the county in half from about North Brunswick (a bit south of the Raritan there, since the line should be SW to NE to reflect roughly constant temps) to Perth Amboy, that would mean they could "fit" N Middlesex into advisories/warnings much better.

52871747_10215708322335104_4477202878628364288_n.jpg

NWS-NYC and Philly maps are up for tomorrow - sharp cutoff to the S/E of a line from about Doylestown to NB and within NYC even.

53055634_10215708587461732_5605339952331096064_n.jpg

53728811_10215708572221351_7947363504053288960_o.jpg

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
250 PM EST Fri Mar 1 2019

Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Carbon-Monroe-Berks-
Lehigh-Northampton-Western Chester-Eastern Chester-
Western Montgomery-Eastern Montgomery-Upper Bucks-Lower Bucks-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO
7 AM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations of
2 to 4 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze expected.

* WHERE...Portions of northern and northwest New Jersey and east
central, northeast and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 9 PM this evening to 7 AM EST Saturday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions with
reduced visibilities at times Friday night into Saturday
morning..

National Weather Service New York NY
317 PM EST Fri Mar 1 2019

Hudson-Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Western Union-Eastern Union-
New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-Richmond (Staten Island)-
Kings (Brooklyn)-Northern Queens-Southern Queens-Northwestern Suffolk-Northern Nassau-Southern Nassau-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow and some sleet expected. Total accumulations of 2 to
4 inches expected, with the higher amounts expected farther
away from the Atlantic coast.

* WHERE...New York City and adjacent portions of northeast New
Jersey south of Interstate 80.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to noon EST Saturday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

o noon EST Saturday.

Northern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Northern Middlesex-
Northern New London-Southern Fairfield-Southern New Haven-
Southern Middlesex-Southern New London-Western Passaic-
Eastern Passaic-Western Bergen-Eastern Bergen-Orange-Putnam-
Rockland-Northern Westchester-Southern Westchester-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5
inches expected.

* WHERE...Southern Connecticut, interior southeast New York, and
northeastern New Jersey mainly along and north of Interstate

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to noon EST Saturday.

Last edited:
New thread since this is no longer likely just a minor nuisance event, although in reality it might not be much more than many got this morning (but didn't quite expect it N of 195). Advisories were just issued for early Saturday for 2-4" for Chester-Montco-Bucks-Hunterdon-Somerset-Union-NYC-LI and most counties N of that line, i.e., the counties in blue in the map below - with the exception that for Bergen-Passaic and the Hudson Valley/CT, the advisories are for 3-5" of snow. Less snow will fall to the south of the advisory counties, due to borderline temps/rain.

Honestly, the 2-4" advisory should really include the northern half of Middlesex, also (but that's not allowed, since the NWS needs to formally "split" counties to let them do that, like they've done for Burlington, Passaic, and Bergen - and Bucks/Montco in PA - and they also have coastal Ocean and Monmouth). If you look at the county map, Somerset and SI often get advisories while Middlesex doesn't because of the southern half, south of the Raritan, generally - if they cut the county in half from about North Brunswick (a bit south of the Raritan there, since the line should be SW to NE to reflect roughly constant temps) to Perth Amboy, that would mean they could "fit" N Middlesex into advisories/warnings much better.

NWS-NYC and Philly maps are up for tomorrow - sharp cutoff to the S/E of a line from about Doylestown to NB and within NYC even.

7 AM EST SATURDAY...

morning..

Kings (Brooklyn)-Northern Queens-Southern Queens-Northwestern Suffolk-Northern Nassau-Southern Nassau-

NOON EST SATURDAY...

o noon EST Saturday.

NOON EST SATURDAY...

inches expected.

Knight Shift approves of this thread, and I am going to guess so does @e5fdny .

But now you have to suffer the wrath of @bac2therac and @RocktheRac . You will handle it with aplomb, as usual.

Reactions: RU848789
Im hoping this one is a bust. Gotta drive to Long Island for work tomorrow by 7am.

Could easily bust for CNJ, but much less likely to bust for NYC/LI, although taking the most southerly route possible will help you (a little more likely to have some rain/mix). The later you can leave, the better the weather will be, as temps will likely get above 32F by mid-morning and precip will be winding down by then, although the later you leave the worse the traffic will be. If you're a little daring, what I would probably do is leave early and hope that the snow isn't crazy heavy and that crews will be able to keep the major highways in decent shape - my guess is a lot less traffic helps more than snow-free conditions. But I also don't mind driving in the snow...

7 AM EST SATURDAY...

morning..

NOON EST SATURDAY...

o noon EST Saturday.

NOON EST SATURDAY...

inches expected.

But now you have to suffer the wrath of @bac2therac and @RocktheRac . You will handle it with aplomb, as usual.
giphy.gif

Channel 7 bullish for both storms. Has north jersey 3-6 tonight and 6-12 on Sunday night with a foot plus just over the border.

Did say Sunday’s totals will change but it’s a very early guess

Reactions: Knight Shift
no not going to be posting my thoughts in these threads anymore, the OP doesnt like my snark
I respect your opinion and weather knowledge, as I do with respect to numbers. I just wish you folks would be less confrontational. Whether that means separate threads or posting restraint I don’t know but it’d be nice to see. As Rutgers fans we deal with enough adversity, controversy, and bickering without having that in weather and off topic threads.

Could easily bust for CNJ, but much less likely to bust for NYC/LI, although taking the most southerly route possible will help you (a little more likely to have some rain/mix). The later you can leave, the better the weather will be, as temps will likely get above 32F by mid-morning and precip will be winding down by then, although the later you leave the worse the traffic will be. If you're a little daring, what I would probably do is leave early and hope that the snow isn't crazy heavy and that crews will be able to keep the major highways in decent shape - my guess is a lot less traffic helps more than snow-free conditions. But I also don't mind driving in the snow...
Damn straight.
[thumb2]

no not going to be posting my thoughts in these threads anymore, the OP doesnt like my snark

As I've said before, I don't like the small % of your posts in these threads that are snarky (and disagreeing/arguing isn't "snarky" - it's a natural part of discussing any complex topic), but I find the vast majority of your posts in these threads to be helpful/useful by me and many others. Unlike T and a few other trolls, you usually add great value to these threads. I think everyone would prefer if you continued posting.

Channel 7 bullish for both storms. Has north jersey 3-6 tonight and 6-12 on Sunday night with a foot plus just over the border.

Did say Sunday’s totals will change but it’s a very early guess

Remember, that 6" line is from about Allentown to Parsippany to Tarrytown; NW of that line is the 6-12" amounts, so one would likely have to go a bit NW of that line to get to 8" or more.

What am I? Chopped liver? If you guys voted me out of the Triumvirate at least let me know.

Snow this AM was good for making snowballs. People must have wondered who the ol fool was standing on his deck throwing snowballs at a street sign. Sadly the arm isn't as good as it used to be.

What am I? Chopped liver? If you guys voted me out of the Triumvirate at least let me know.

Snow this AM was good for making snowballs. People must have wondered who the ol fool was standing on his deck throwing snowballs at a street sign. Sadly the arm isn't as good as it used to be.
There was nothing on the paved surfaces by me...street, driveway or sidewalk.

Maybe I got up too late to see it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'm only happy when it rains.
Washes all the salt away. Oops look another salting truck just went by. I wonder how commerce survived before these millions of gals. of brine were spread?. Must've been a living hell.

There was nothing on the paved surfaces by me...street, driveway or sidewalk.

Maybe I got up too late to see it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The deck is well off the ground. Didn't start to melt till the afternoon. No sticking on the roads here either.

After about 15 minutes of sprinkles, around midnight it changed to sleet and it sleeted lightly for about 20 minutes and has been sleeting moderately since then and we have already have a treacherous coating of sleet on all paved surfaces. It's 32F here in Metuchen. If the radar is to be believed, it looks like the snow/sleet line is moving SE right over me as we speak and I should see snow soon. We'll see.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=DIX-N0C-1-12

We are getting light snow up here at this point.

All snow as of about 1:40 am here in Metuchen - coming down moderately - looks like some heavy stuff is incoming - hoping it stays as snow and doesn't transition back to sleet. Looks like a heavy precip approaching line (from the south) of 35-40 dBZ stuff - hopefully snow - guess I'll find out in about 10 minutes. We had 1/4" of sleet (at 3-4:1 sleet to snow, that's about 0.075-0.10" LE) and have about 1/4" of snow on top of that already. Should pile up quickly if it stays all snow. 32F still. Beautiful out there, but really slippery with the layer of sleet underneath everything.

All snow as of about 1:40 am here in Metuchen - coming down moderately - looks like some heavy stuff is incoming - hoping it stays as snow and doesn't transition back to sleet. Looks like a heavy precip approaching line (from the south) of 35-40 dBZ stuff - hopefully snow - guess I'll find out in about 10 minutes. We had 1/4" of sleet (at 3-4:1 sleet to snow, that's about 0.075-0.10" LE) and have about 1/4" of snow on top of that already. Should pile up quickly if it stays all snow. 32F still. Beautiful out there, but really slippery with the layer of sleet underneath everything.

Legitimate heavy snow now under 35-40 dBZ echoes with 1/4 mile visibility and >1" per hour rates over the last 15 minutes. Went from 1/2" total to 1" total in the last 20 minutes or so. If this stays snow, looking at the radar, we'll easily make 3". As I said earlier today, they really ought to split Middlesex into 2 zones with the northern zone from about North Brunswick to Perth Amboy - that section could've been under an advisory too and it fits nicely between SI and Somerset County. Still 32F. Pretty sure sleep ain't in the cards, lol.

Steady snow here in Linden, everything is covered including the streets.

Legitimate heavy snow now under 35-40 dBZ echoes with 1/4 mile visibility and >1" per hour rates over the last 15 minutes. Went from 1/2" total to 1" total in the last 20 minutes or so. If this stays snow, looking at the radar, we'll easily make 3". As I said earlier today, they really ought to split Middlesex into 2 zones with the northern zone from about North Brunswick to Perth Amboy - that section could've been under an advisory too and it fits nicely between SI and Somerset County. Still 32F. Pretty sure sleep ain't in the cards, lol.

Still snowing heavily here in Metuchen with 1" falling in the last 40 minutes, as we're up to 2" now, as of 3:00 am. Snow is piling up. Temp has dropped to 31F. My only worry is that it looks like that sleet line has crept back up almost to the Raritan, maybe 5 miles south of me. If it stays snow, we could get 5".

Still snowing heavily here in Metuchen with 1" falling in the last 40 minutes, as we're up to 2" now, as of 3:00 am. Snow is piling up. Temp has dropped to 31F. My only worry is that it looks like that sleet line has crept back up almost to the Raritan, maybe 5 miles south of me. If it stays snow, we could get 5".

2.75" as of 3:30 pm, so 1.5" per hour rates for the last 30 minutes, and it's still snowing moderately to heavily, plus it looks like the sleet line went as far north as the Raritan and has since sunk back southward by several miles, so hopefully I'm in the clear. 31F still. As one of the mets said, being close to the sleet line usually means you're closest to the best dynamics and snowfall rates, so it's possible our area jackpots, which would be nice after completely missing this morning. Reports of all/mostly sleet in East Brunswick, Monroe, Holmdel, etc. Might not look pretty, but it's still pretty dangerous stuff (and has the same frozen mass as the snow).

What's the drive from Hoboken into Westchester starting at about 9am looking like at this point?

Looks like a bit over 2 in Hillsborough. Heading over to the Hillsborough Deli soon to pickup some coffee.

2.75" as of 3:30 pm, so 1.5" per hour rates for the last 30 minutes, and it's still snowing moderately to heavily, plus it looks like the sleet line went as far north as the Raritan and has since sunk back southward by several miles, so hopefully I'm in the clear. 31F still. As one of the mets said, being close to the sleet line usually means you're closest to the best dynamics and snowfall rates, so it's possible our area jackpots, which would be nice after completely missing this morning. Reports of all/mostly sleet in East Brunswick, Monroe, Holmdel, etc. Might not look pretty, but it's still pretty dangerous stuff (and has the same frozen mass as the snow).

3.25" as of 4:00 am, so 1" per hour rates the last 30 minutes, as the intensity has let up some; still snowing moderately, but it's starting to look like the back edge of the heavier precip may only be 1-2 hours away. 4-5" is looking likely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT