ADVERTISEMENT

Parking Assignments Now Available on SK.com

I got a call in November/December from RU asking to make my 2015 donation early. I did. Then RU starts this "buy your tix early and get 5 priority points." Having just given them my donation early, i didnt renew in December. So, im screwed for donating early. If I have spent that same money on tix, id likely be bumped up 1 or 2 lots.

I got a call in November/December from RU asking to make my 2015 donation early. I did. Then RU starts this "buy your tix early and get 5 priority points." Having just given them my donation early, i didnt renew in December. So, im screwed for donating early. If I have spent that same money on tix, id likely be bumped up 1 or 2 lots.

this is exactly where monthly donations taken right from your checking account would have helped you out. no big donation check means it would have been easier/less painful for you to write a check in December for the ticket price. figure out what you want to donate/can afford to donate, divide by 12 and have RU take it out monthly. it's really a no brainer.

I believe to actually order your tickets you have to pay the required seat donation. So you were not screwed as you needed to make the donation first.

Money paid to RU for season tickets of other sports should not be judged differently than money given as an athletic department donation (w/ the exception of Men's Basketball, I guess). You should not be rewarded by buying gymnastic season tickets, most likely not attending any games, and move ahead of me in PP. If the goal is getting the most $$$ possible then I would suggest - crunch the numbers and release tentative pp lots and assignments; then reach out to each person and provide a dollar amount to lock-in their lot from previous year or a higher amount to lock-in the next lot up. Start with scarlet and so on, releasing the lot assignments at different dates ie people in scarlet lot will know for sure June 1 and people in light blue will know July 15 or something to that effect. Everything else with this new system is fine.

No one here would be unhappy if just before locking in our lot they called us to give a heads up. The kicker is it was possible you were in silver or black, donated enough for purple thinking you could make the jump by taking advantage of the pp opportunities, and then got relegated to silver or light blue. If that effected someone they have the right to be disgruntled.

Totally unrealistic idea. That's literally thousands of phone calls. Plus - doesn't the person called last have the advantage of knowing what everyone else bid and exactly what it takes to get his desired lot. What do you do then, go back around the list a second time?

Almost every idea posted in this thread to change the system would result in less money to RU. Most suggestions are simply ways for the person suggesting to get additional points based on their own existing circumstances. The best idea I have seen here was giving priority points for season ticket purchases in sports besides basketball. Of course, it would have to be a sport that actually sells season tickets but this is a nice way to reward support for non revenue sports. I don't think away game football tickets should generate points (though bowl games should) since the away game money is probably going to the home team. And the idea of priority points for getting in the stadium early is laughable.

Lastly, I do not think the claim that long time season ticket holders are not adequately compensated for their loyalty is valid. In my case, a season ticket holder since 1994 who has donated, the sum of my consecutive season and lifetime giving points is a pretty good head start on what I needed for the lot I want. I would think for many people it is at least half of the requirement. Not sure what else you can expect.

Yeah, my big mistake was not donating tickets. Not sure why they were giving priority points for donating tickets since there was no mandatory allotment for this bowl game and RU was in no danger of eating tickets.
-----------

I was involved with two or three others here that started a thread on donating tickets, Shamelessly kept bumping it to keep it current....aside from getting priority points it also made the RU ticket sale number for the bowl a bit higher than it would have been....you then hope that the next time we qualify for a bowl we are able to beat out another big 10 team that is similarly positioned, because our sales look better.

RU did sell quite a few donated tickets and was well aware of the effort put out by fans on our site

--------------
Not really more money, but doing it every year..... If the school is starting to award points for years donating, and this is year one for everyone, I have no problem with this, because my years as a ticket holder keeps me way ahead of both a new yearly donor or a new yearly ticket holder......long time seat holders probably do not need an additional point cushion

As an old dedicated codger, I have well over 60 points in the bank between FB and BB. Giving a newbie a point for something and me a point means nothing in the long run.

And I agree that it might be that the consecutive years donating will make it harder for visiting fans from getting good season seats by buying season passes every other year when they come here.

These are some good points.

As someone who had been donating for years, I was annoyed that I don't get credit for my prior donations under this new perk. I was also annoyed because I thought this was a somewhat meaningless perk, since just about every seat in the stadium requires a donation, and therefore there is pretty much no difference between awarding a point for consecutive years giving and consecutive years as a FB season ticket holder.

But even though I was annoyed that I didn't gain anything under this perk as a loyal donor, I also recognized that I didn't lose anything either. With or without this perk, everyone moves up with one additional point each year.

But you make a good point that in future years this perk will benefit Rutgers fans who buy and donate every year, at the expense of fans from other schools who buy season tickets only when their team comes to Piscataway.

And all though I still would have liked the points for my previous donations, I can also understand that Rutgers may have done it this way to help create future distance between Rutgers fans and visiting fans without creating too much disruption this year to everyone's place in the priority point order that currently exists.

the screw job comes in with the people who get f'd upping their donation to stay in their lot they were in last yeaer and then getting bumped down and not refunded....to me that's just taking advantage of people and leaves a bad taste
I donated $1,100 to 'stay' in the Purple Lot only to find out that I was bumped to the Black. Not Happy!

I donated $1,100 to 'stay' in the Purple Lot only to find out that I was bumped to the Black. Not Happy!

we donated almost $2000 last year to stay in the Yellow lot and got bumped back to Blue. I wasn't happy but instead of whining I took it as a good sign that ticket sales and donations were up. We moved to Blue, found out all of our Yellow lot friends were in the same situation, made new friends and are having a great time (except for the whole getting out of the lot at the end of the game thing)

Reactions: Raritan83
Mr. Screw also has a monthly donation taken directly out of his checking account every month. it's a good way to make your donation without feeling the pain of having to write a big check.

A great idea. But if someone is going to do this, they should be aware that since the football donation deadline is April 30, monthly donations made in May and June won't count toward their football priority points unless they notify Rutgers prior to Apr 30 of their pledge to make their May/June donations prior to June 30.

Totally unrealistic idea. That's literally thousands of phone calls. Plus - doesn't the person called last have the advantage of knowing what everyone else bid and exactly what it takes to get his desired lot. What do you do then, go back around the list a second time?

Almost every idea posted in this thread to change the system would result in less money to RU. Most suggestions are simply ways for the person suggesting to get additional points based on their own existing circumstances. The best idea I have seen here was giving priority points for season ticket purchases in sports besides basketball. Of course, it would have to be a sport that actually sells season tickets but this is a nice way to reward support for non revenue sports. I don't think away game football tickets should generate points (though bowl games should) since the away game money is probably going to the home team. And the idea of priority points for getting in the stadium early is laughable.

Lastly, I do not think the claim that long time season ticket holders are not adequately compensated for their loyalty is valid. In my case, a season ticket holder since 1994 who has donated, the sum of my consecutive season and lifetime giving points is a pretty good head start on what I needed for the lot I want. I would think for many people it is at least half of the requirement. Not sure what else you can expect.

I said nothing about a bidding war. Just an additional set fee to lock in your space. You lock in your lot for $100 (or other set fee). If not, you risk losing your spot if enough people pay a set fee (worth x amount of PPs), to move your # down below the cutoff. The number of PPs available would have to be determined by the AD. If you are safely in then you don't need to pay to lock in.

Making 20 calls in an hour, if ONE person class to lock in their spot at a modest rate of $100, the AD just made $100/hr. I think they can afford to do so. Ie 5 reps could call 5hrs Monday through Friday or less spread out over the month-month and a half needed to have a "rolling admission" type of process starting by locking in scarlet until you get to blue 6 months later.

Nothing crazy here.

I said nothing about a bidding war. Just an additional set fee to lock in your space. You lock in your lot for $100 (or other set fee). If not, you risk losing your spot if enough people pay a set fee (worth x amount of PPs), to move your # down below the cutoff. The number of PPs available would have to be determined by the AD. If you are safely in then you don't need to pay to lock in.

Making 20 calls in an hour, if ONE person class to lock in their spot at a modest rate of $100, the AD just made $100/hr. I think they can afford to do so. Ie 5 reps could call 5hrs Monday through Friday or less spread out over the month-month and a half needed to have a "rolling admission" type of process starting by locking in scarlet until you get to blue 6 months later.

Nothing crazy here.

It seems that the concept that there is a fixed amount of spots in each lot evades you. Unless you set the "lock in" donation so high that you know that the # of people that take that opportunity will be less than the number of spaces in the lot, there is no fair way to do this. You have to make the same offer to everyone and then hope you don't oversell the lot. And the assumption that a rep can make 20 calls in an hour is nit realistic either. Trust me, your suggestion is not workable. The blind auction is the best way to raise money, especially with strong demand.

I believe that in the past there was a donation amount that guaranteed a parking lot. It was a pretty high number and I can't remember what it was or if this is still offered.

Nothing crazy here.

I don't understand how this works. Let's say the Scarlet lot holds 1000 cars. They assign 1000 parking passes in priority point order and the last pass assigned has 140 priority points. 200 cars that parked in Scarlet last year get bumped.

So they call the first person on the list of cars that got bumped. He is told that if he donates $100 more, he can get into the Scarlet lot. So he does that. That means there are now 1001 cars in a lot that holds 1000. So they have to bump someone else, probably car 1000, since he was the last car to qualify for Scarlet.

Do they now call that person and offer to keep them in Scarlet if they donate $100 more? And if that person accepts, do they re-bump car 1001? Do they then call car 1001 and offer him a spot in Scarlet if he donates another additional $100? And if he accepts and car 1000 is re-bumped, do they keep calling each other in a viscous cycle until someone refuses to pay the 15th round of $100 donations?

And then they move on to car 1002, and go through the same thing again?

Your idea only works if Rutgers can create additional supply of Scarlet spaces to satisfy additional demand. But there is a fixed supply. Every time someone moves up or reclaims a Scarlet space that they didn't qualify for, that means they are bumping someone who actually qualified for the space.

I don't understand how this works. Let's say the Scarlet lot holds 1000 cars. They assign 1000 parking passes in priority point order and the last pass assigned has 140 priority points. 200 cars that parked in Scarlet last year get bumped.

So they call the first person on the list of cars that got bumped. He is told that if he donates $100 more, he can get into the Scarlet lot. So he does that. That means there are now 1001 cars in a lot that holds 1000. So they have to bump someone else, probably car 1000, since he was the last car to qualify for Scarlet.

Do they now call that person and offer to keep them in Scarlet if they donate $100 more? And if that person accepts, do they re-bump car 1001? Do they then call car 1001 and offer him a spot in Scarlet if he donates another additional $100? And if he accepts and car 1000 is re-bumped, do they keep calling each other in a viscous cycle until someone refuses to pay the 15th round of $100 donations?

Your idea only works if Rutgers can create additional supply of Scarlet spaces to satisfy additional demand. But there is a fixed supply. Every time someone moves up or reclaims a Scarlet space that they didn't qualify for, that means they are bumping someone who actually qualified for the space.

Upstream, they are not suppose to be calling the person who would #1001 and the cut off, but this year I have been told by a very reliable source within the admin that they were calling them this year to donate more to qualify which screwed everyone else.

When you give over 30 green lot parking pass to the media that's a problem as well! When you reserve all hospitality areas yellow lot passes, then don't sell hospitality areas that's a bigger problem!

Another thing that needs to be looked at is they keep saying they have sold over 2,000 new season tickets this year. Last year I believe we were over 27,000 season tickets sold. Where is that number now? Did ever single season ticket holder renew and add a parking pass? I don't think so.

I think all sports should count toward points. Treat them the same way you treat donations and make it 1 pt. for $100 spent in a given year.

It wouldn't do me any good, because outside of football the only other thing I do is maybe take in a few men's bball games.

Although come to think if it, I deserve points for that.

Sure, I pretty much only go with @RutgersRaRa and he never takes a dime for the ticket...

BUT - I always wind up traveling to the game while scrunched into the vestigial back seat of whatever vagina magnet he's driving this season, so... hardship.
I have no idea what the back seat is like so can't comment on your post.

Another thing that needs to be looked at is they keep saying they have sold over 2,000 new season tickets this year. Last year I believe we were over 27,000 season tickets sold. Where is that number now? Did ever single season ticket holder renew and add a parking pass? I don't think so.
--------------------

the school has released the fact that we had 2,000 new season ticket holders and that renewals were very good, maybe an all time
percentage high...they did not say how many people did not renew, to the best of my knowledge.

Upstream, they are not suppose to be calling the person who would #1001 and the cut off, but this year I have been told by a very reliable source within the admin that they were calling them this year to donate more to qualify which screwed everyone else.

When you give over 30 green lot parking pass to the media that's a problem as well! When you reserve all hospitality areas yellow lot passes, then don't sell hospitality areas that's a bigger problem!
-----------------------

there are actually two green lot sections, the media is in a fenced off section by the bubble I believe.....I would not want to tailgate in that
sectioned off piece of green lot given a choice....you don't lose much by the media having it, IMHO

Everyone needs to accept the fact that parking and seating are not rewards. The days of rewarding long suffering fans is over. These systems are now focused on being revenue generators. Parking is about maximizing revenue not deciding who is a die hard or more deserving fan.
---------

A long term ticket holder has an advantage of built up priority points ....what that fan must do is keep pace with what the school wants, and also anticipate what others will contribute....but we do have a starting advantage

The "reward" is, keep pace, you keep your lot/seats

Agree. If Hospitality areas are not sold out on certain games then somehow this unissued Yellow Parking Lot passes should be offered back for sale on those specific games.

-----------------------

there are actually two green lot sections, the media is in a fenced off section by the bubble I believe.....I would not want to tailgate in that
sectioned off piece of green lot given a choice....you don't lose much by the media having it, IMHO

You lose 40 parking spots that loyal RU season ticket holders I know would want to park there.

It seems that the concept that there is a fixed amount of spots in each lot evades you. Unless you set the "lock in" donation so high that you know that the # of people that take that opportunity will be less than the number of spaces in the lot, there is no fair way to do this. You have to make the same offer to everyone and then hope you don't oversell the lot. And the assumption that a rep can make 20 calls in an hour is nit realistic either. Trust me, your suggestion is not workable. The blind auction is the best way to raise money, especially with strong demand.

I believe that in the past there was a donation amount that guaranteed a parking lot. It was a pretty high number and I can't remember what it was or if this is still offered.

I understand there is a fixed number of spaces. This would be the process, assuming there are 1k cars in each lot (just as an example, and we'll use scarlet and yellow, i know that's not the real order..):

1. Assign lock in value and a PP value ie $100 for 1 temporary PP.

2. See how many people in yellow lot below would reach scarlet lot PP amount with the additional 1 PP. Let's say 50 ppl eligible.

3. Call bottom 50 in scarlet lot and offer $100 to lock in. 40 people lock in, 10 do not.

4. Offer 50 ppl in yellow, starting with highest PP, $100 for 1 temporary PP to bump to scarlet. Once 10 people accept, they move up and the 10 who did not lock in scarlet move down.

This process would be a simple way to address the donors on the fringe of each lot while still respecting the PP hierarchy. And raise some extra $$$.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
-----------------------

There used to be a separate media lot in the fenced section behind the geen lot. But to accommodate the number of fans that wanted to park in the green lot, Rutgers expanded the green lot to include most of the old media lot. So now the green lot includes the old green lot in front of the fenced in area plus the part of the fenced in area not needed for media.

I think the system works just fine as it is. the only thing that pisses me off is that because RU started this arbitrary "earn 5 points extra if you order your tix early", I was not prepared to take advantage of it. Yet i still made a donation early and don't get the same credit for placing a ticket order (which i had full intention of doing in the first place.

i say RU needs to leave the system as it is and stop changing the rules repeatedly.

I understand there is a fixed number of spaces. This would be the process, assuming there are 1k cars in each lot (just as an example, and we'll use scarlet and yellow, i know that's not the real order..):

1. Assign lock in value and a PP value ie $100 for 1 temporary PP.

2. See how many people in yellow lot below would reach scarlet lot PP amount with the additional 1 PP. Let's say 50 ppl eligible.

3. Call bottom 50 in scarlet lot and offer $100 to lock in. 40 people lock in, 10 do not.

4. Offer 50 ppl in yellow, starting with highest PP, $100 for 1 temporary PP to bump to scarlet. Once 10 people accept, they move up and the 10 who did not lock in scarlet move down.

This process would be a simple way to address the donors on the fringe of each lot while still respecting the PP hierarchy. And raise some extra $$$.

That is different than what I thought you were suggesting. But certainly the could call cars 951-1000 and tell them that they're the last cars to qualify for the Scarlet lot, but it will cost them an additional $100-$200 to keep their spot. Since the Scarlet lot costs $50 per game, and requires a $2500+ donation and 121 priority points, it is likely that cars 951-1000 have already donated more than $4000 anyway. An additional $100 is not going to keep them from keeping their spots. So I would expect that everyone would just pay the extra ransom and cars 1001+ will still be shut out of the Scarlet lot. But it is a good way for Rutgers to extort an extra $100 out of the last 50 cars.

When you get down to the Black lot, you have many fans that are struggling to pay the ticket price and donate even $500. With these fans I would expect a large portion of the bottom 50 would be unable to pay the extra $100 ransom to stay in the lot they already qualified for. So there would be some opportunity for some Silver lot cars to move up.

I understand how this could make an extra $30,000 or so for Rutgers. But I'm not sure how extorting additional money from fans who already qualified for a parking space makes anyone happier.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Where did you see the 2,000 number? I don't remember them ever putting a number out, only that it was more than last year. Also I believe the season ticket # last year was 31,000, not 27,000.

Where did you see the 2,000 number? I don't remember them ever putting a number out, only that it was more than last year. Also I believe the season ticket # last year was 31,000, not 27,000.

Knightsfan7, I do remember that 31,000 number also from last year but having a hard time finding it. All I can find now is this....

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071514aaa.html

Does say RU is over 27K, 27,126 to be exact at July 17 of last year.

So my questions to RU would be, Where is this number now? and Where was this number at the renewal deadline on 4/30/15?

Let say for the sack of argument they had 31K season ticket holders last year. You are not going to renew all 31K, say you renew at 90% which I would say is respectable. That is 27,900 season tickets renewed. Did everyone add a parking pass that we had to bumb people to the RAC?

I just feel there are a lot of numbers and facts that RU holds from its season ticket holders that they are scared to release. If they really followed the rules of the 4/30 cutoff for parking, its not that hard to say ok we had X number of season tickets renewed and X number of parking passes renewed, and there are X number of spots on Busch campus to fill.

Do you not think this would ease the mind of many season ticket holders?

Knightsfan7, I do remember that 31,000 number also from last year but having a hard time finding it. All I can find now is this....

So my questions to RU would be, Where is this number now? and Where was this number at the renewal deadline on 4/30/15?

Let say for the sack of argument they had 31K season ticket holders last year. You are not going to renew all 31K, say you renew at 90% which I would say is respectable. That is 27,900 season tickets renewed. Did everyone add a parking pass that we had to bumb people to the RAC?

I just feel there are a lot of numbers and facts that RU holds from its season ticket holders that they are scared to release. If they really followed the rules of the 4/30 cutoff for parking, its not that hard to say ok we had X number of season tickets renewed and X number of parking passes renewed, and there are X number of spots on Busch campus to fill.

Forbes had them at roughly 31,000.

The parking announcement said 2,000 new sales (I'm assuming that means additional on top of the 31k).

We lost a few hundred spaces in light blue... That is roughly an 8% increase in demand based on sales and lost spaces. Add in 5 pp for early purchase plus the bowl game tick donations and the increases seem to me to be about what you might expect.

This is wild, I went from silver to RAC. need 20PP for silver now, I dont think you even needed any PP to get into that lot last year. Gunna be a while before i can get back. only 9.5PP

The meaningful number is the number of season ticket holders as of Apr 30 last year and this year. People who ordered season tickets after the Apr 30 deadline do not qualify for inclusion in the Priority Point assignment of season parking. Someone could have been a 1st year season ticket holder last year, buying their tickets after the Apr 30 deadline and therefore not included in the priority point parking assignment. When they renewed this year before Apr 30, they would not be included in the priority point parking assignment.

Also, the number of season tickets, or season ticket holders, does not tell the whole story. A season ticket holder can have more than one parking pass, depending on the number of tickets they have. Also, someone could have 8 season tickets and 2 parking passes, and drop to 6 season tickets and 2 parking passes. The number of season tickets sold to that person has dropped, but the number of parking passes is not affected.

Nonetheless, I don't think Rutgers is going to release the detailed breakdown of season ticket numbers that you are looking for. In the press release about the assignment of parking, they indicated that the demand for parking passes has increased (link:New season ticket sales and donor support drives heightened demand for Rutgers football parking). The best you can expect to get from them is to quantify the amount of the increase.

I didn't go to RU but from reading posts here for over 10 years it seems to me you're giving them too much credit lol. It doesn't seem they're capable of being that devious and as we have seen year after year, they can't keep their collective mouths shut. If they were playing fast and loose with numbers I bet we'd know it. If anything I'd say they simply have no idea.

It takes them 2 months to figure out parking. I don't see how they could do what you suggested without causing even more confusion or possibly end up leaving prime, income producing spots unused.

The meaningful number is the number of season ticket holders as of Apr 30 last year and this year. People who ordered season tickets after the Apr 30 deadline do not qualify for inclusion in the Priority Point assignment of season parking. Someone could have been a 1st year season ticket holder last year, buying their tickets after the Apr 30 deadline and therefore not included in the priority point parking assignment. When they renewed this year before Apr 30, they would not be included in the priority point parking assignment.

Also, the number of season tickets, or season ticket holders, does not tell the whole story. A season ticket holder can have more than one parking pass, depending on the number of tickets they have. Also, someone could have 8 season tickets and 2 parking passes, and drop to 6 season tickets and 2 parking passes. The number of season tickets sold to that person has dropped, but the number of parking passes is not affected.

Nonetheless, I don't think Rutgers is going to release the detailed breakdown of season ticket numbers that you are looking for. In the press release about the assignment of parking, they indicated that the demand for parking passes has increased (link:New season ticket sales and donor support drives heightened demand for Rutgers football parking). The best you can expect to get from them is to quantify the amount of the increase.
Then the meaningful number is an even bigger increase as we went from something less than the July 27k at the cutoff last year to at least 31k. Add some additional sales before this season end and you have a much larger percentage increase of people eligible for parking than the numbers I used.

I was all ready to come on here and bitch about getting bumped down from the black lot to the "light blue" lot.... but then I remembered that I decided not to donate more than the minimum scholarship fund this year. That isn't Julie's fault.

You get what you pay for, folks.

And the people complaining about not getting sufficiently "rewarded" for being long time fans & ticket holders: welcome to the B1G. money talks. money renovates the Hale Center. Not stories about the temple game in the rain or whatever. It's a wonderful story. That was the big east days. It's a new day. We need $.

I had a Twitter conversation with Lucci. He said the record for season tickets is last years 31,000. We are close to that this year and he feels we have a good chance to be over 31,000 this year.

It seems a lot of people missed out on the best way to get pp for this year: buying bowl game tickets to donate and paying for your season tickets in December

paying in December got you 5pp

Giving away valuable assets to people who do extra credit assignments is not a sound business strategy.

donating bowl game tickets got you 1pp per ticket and 1pp for every $100 you spent. tickets were $30 each. we bought 10 tickets (10pp) at $300 (another 3pp) so in December alone we got 18pp added to our count.

Neither is accepting 30 cents on the dollar for donations. That's great that you earned 15 bonus points, but Rutgers effectively crowded out someone who donated $1400 more than you to accommodate you.

I know in my case, donating $1200 to get Black parking is essentially telling me that my donation is not valued & I would have gotten a spot two lots better if I just wasted the money on Detroit tickets & did my extra credit assignments.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Giving away valuable assets to people who do extra credit assignments is not a sound business strategy.

Neither is accepting 30 cents on the dollar for donations. That's great that you earned 15 bonus points, but Rutgers effectively crowded out someone who donated $1400 more than you to accommodate you.

I

We actually had enough points to stay in Blue because of donations so we didn't need the extra 13 points. they were just safety points.

Reactions: Local Shill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT