ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Preferred bowl destination this year

Which B1G bowl would you most like to see Rutgers play in this season?

• Music City

Votes: 90 55.9%
  • Las Vegas

Votes: 40 24.8%
  • Pinstripe

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • Guaranteed Rate

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Quick Lane

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

RUtrumpet92

Heisman Winner
Feb 5, 2003
Which B1G-affiliated bowl do you most want to see us play in this season? Not which bowl do you think we will play in.

I am leaving out the NY6 as not realistic even if we finished 9-3, although clearly that would be the best possible outcome. I also am leaving out the Citrus because I think that's a long shot too, and would skew the results.

Reminder of the bowl selection order:
Citrus (Orlando)
Music City (Nashville)
Las Vegas (duh)
Pinstripe (duh)
Guaranteed Rate (Phoenix)
Quick Lane (Detroit)

Garden State Bowl
Happy Birthday Love GIF by Mo Willems Workshop

Anybody preferring the Pinstripe Bowl is out of their mind.
Baseball stadium with the worst view of the football field in late December in the Bronx?
Not to mention dangerous turf for the players, No tailgating, Zero Bowl Game atmosphere. No thanks .
The only fans that like the PS bowl are the ones that wouldn't travel to an away Bowl. It is that simple.

I am sure that anyone that has attended mult 3 day bowl trips out of the area, is looking for another one- as long as they can afford it.

The only fans that like the PS bowl are the ones that wouldn't travel to an away Bowl. It is that simple.

I am sure that anyone that has attended mult 3 day bowl trips out of the area, is looking for another one- as long as they can afford it.

Also all the fans who are just watching on TV, which will be plenty.

Which B1G-affiliated bowl do you most want to see us play in this season? Not which bowl do you think we will play in.

I am leaving out the NY6 as not realistic even if we finished 9-3, although clearly that would be the best possible outcome. I also am leaving out the Citrus because I think that's a long shot too, and would skew the results.

Reminder of the bowl selection order:
Citrus (Orlando)
Music City (Nashville)
Las Vegas (duh)
Pinstripe (duh)
Guaranteed Rate (Phoenix)
Quick Lane (Detroit)
Dates would be helpful, since timing is a big issue for many, especially with the holidays; I added them below. I would have a much harder time making 12/26, 12/30 or 1/1, due to proximity to holidays (but would still likely go), whereas 12/28 and 12/23 would be easy. Never been to Nashville, but have been to all of the other locations, so I'd probably go with the Music City bowl. I also don't really care about warm weather, per se (surprise!), so that's not a factor for me.

Citrus (Orlando) - 1/1
Music City (Nashville) - 12/30
Las Vegas (duh) - 12/23
Pinstripe (duh) - 12/28
Guaranteed Rate (Phoenix) - 12/26
Quick Lane (Detroit) - 12/26

Reactions: RUtrumpet92
Music City is my choice. Never been to Nashville other than transiting the airport on the way to the PapaJohns Bowl in Birmingham. I've been to all other locations. Date is good not being day before or after Christmas. The date proximity to New Years is less concerning to me. Chances for decent weather better than some other locations. Warmer weather means can pack a little lighter. Also really enjoy being to a bowl location where there are things to do and more opportunity to have pep rally, Alumni Tailgate and other events. Still, nothing can beat the experience at the '05 Insight Bowl. That is still etched in my memory as great trip.

Music City is my choice. Never been to Nashville other than transiting the airport on the way to the PapaJohns Bowl in Birmingham. I've been to all other locations. Date is good not being day before or after Christmas. The date proximity to New Years is less concerning to me. Chances for decent weather better than some other locations. Warmer weather means can pack a little lighter. Also really enjoy being to a bowl location where there are things to do and more opportunity to have pep rally, Alumni Tailgate and other events. Still, nothing can beat the experience at the '05 Insight Bowl. That is still etched in my memory as great trip.
One of the wins that many RU fans forget was the comeback win against Vanderbilt. Recall BL having a good game. One of maybe a few hundred RU fans that were there. They almost beat us but TD was called back as QB was beyond line of scrimmage.

No way I would get on a plane at holiday time - and with all the FAA/Airline problems cropping up. Pinstripe is better than last years bowl lol

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Nashville is only about 6F warmer than New Brunswick at the end of December (49/33F vs. 42/28F), although they do get a lot less snow per winter. In case people are interested, Vegas is 57/38F, Phoenix is 66/45F, Orlando is 71/54F, and Detroit is 33/23F.

Agree on Insight being the best ever bowl experience.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Dates would be helpful, since timing is a big issue for many, especially with the holidays; I added them below. I would have a much harder time making 12/26, 12/30 or 1/1, due to proximity to holidays (but would still likely go), whereas 12/28 and 12/23 would be easy. Never been to Nashville, but have been to all of the other locations, so I'd probably go with the Music City bowl. I also don't really care about warm weather, per se (surprise!), so that's not a factor for me.

Citrus (Orlando) - 1/1
Las Vegas (duh) - 12/23
Pinstripe (duh) - 12/28
Which one is Cheez It?

Citrus (Orlando) - 1/1
Las Vegas (duh) - 12/23
Pinstripe (duh) - 12/28
Excellent point on the dates of the games possibly impacting the desirability of some of them, particularly Vegas and Phoenix. I'm not sure the Quick Lane Bowl would have a lot more votes regardless of the date.

Interesting tweet from the Music City Bowl showing six different projected matchups this week with four different B1G teams against five different SEC teams.

• Haha
Reactions: RUInDaBronx
I think we had a couple of our bowls either on the day after or two days after X-Mas...

My family actually loved those. The kids were all between 12-16 and to be getting on a X-Mas or X-Mas Eve flight was such a rare treat for them. And then the bowl just seemed like a fun, short, holiday vacation.

Now let’s look at the chances of Rutgers actually going to each of these bowls.

Music City: 3%
Las Vegas: 5%
Pinstripe: 90%
Guaranteed Rate: 2%
Quick Lane: 0%

Let's say we beat Iowa and Maryland (both are roughly 50-50 games IMO, so we have a 25% chance of winning both) and finish 8-4. In that scenario, I think we've got a great shot of going to one of the other two.

Let's see how Saturday's games go.

Who voted for Quick Lane? Does someone live near Detroit?

I went to the last one. It wasn't bad. I was surprised to see signs at the train using a middle eastern language. But inside the couple of blocks around the stadium it was OK. Outside that though thar be dragons.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I gotta ask, what's a Transperfect?
According to Google:

TransPerfect Translations is a translation and language services company based in New York City. The company serves clients in many fields, such as film, gaming, law, and healthcare.

According to Google:

TransPerfect Translations is a translation and language services company based in New York City. The company serves clients in many fields, such as film, gaming, law, and healthcare.
Look at that, their bowl sponsorship is spreading knowledge of their business!

I'm guessing they could've helped this:

According to Google:

I feared something else. ; )

Let's say we beat Iowa and Maryland (both are roughly 50-50 games IMO, so we have a 25% chance of winning both) and finish 8-4. In that scenario, I think we've got a great shot of going to one of the other two.

Yeah, the Pinstripe Bowl in the Steinbrenner Memorial Whorehouse should be the bowl of last resort.

Let's see how Saturday's games go.
Even at 8-4, there is still a chance of us going to the pinstripe as Iowa and Wisconsin will likely be chosen over us.

Our best shot to go elsewhere is to finish 9-3.

I think we had a couple of our bowls either on the day after or two days after X-Mas...

My family actually loved those. The kids were all between 12-16 and to be getting on a X-Mas or X-Mas Eve flight was such a rare treat for them. And then the bowl just seemed like a fun, short, holiday vacation.
I went to just about all the bowls during Schiano 1.0 because they didn't conflict with Christmas or NYE, which was key as I went solo, as my wife and son aren't huge football fans (they'll go to one game a year, but have never been interested in committing to 2-3 days away for a bowl).

So going away solo for Christmas wouldn't go over well, nor would being away for NYE, as we've hosted a NYE party for the past 25+ years. For a 12/26 or 1/1 game, I'd likely have to take a 6 am flight out that day and hope for no delays and a 12/25 or 12/31 game would be a no go for me.

I went to the last one. It wasn't bad. I was surprised to see signs at the train using a middle eastern language. But inside the couple of blocks around the stadium it was OK. Outside that though thar be dragons.
There is a large Arab-American community in and around Detroit.

Even at 8-4, there is still a chance of us going to the pinstripe as Iowa and Wisconsin will likely be chosen over us.

Our best shot to go elsewhere is to finish 9-3.
I'd say 9-3 would almost guarantee we are picked before Pinstripe. We would likely be ranked and our season would be a great story. The only downside to our bowl chances, paradoxically, is that could knock Penn State out of a NY6 bowl and into the Citrus.

Remember there are three non-NY6 bowls ahead of Pinstripe: Citrus, Music City, and Las Vegas. Even if Iowa and Wisconsin claim two of those, there's still a third opening.

Go U Northwestern tomorrow, beat those Badgers!

I went to just about all the bowls during Schiano 1.0 because they didn't conflict with Christmas or NYE, which was key as I went solo, as my wife and son aren't huge football fans (they'll go to one game a year, but have never been interested in committing to 2-3 days away for a bowl).

So going away solo for Christmas wouldn't go over well, nor would being away for NYE, as we've hosted a NYE party for the past 25+ years. For a 12/26 or 1/1 game, I'd likely have to take a 6 am flight out that day and hope for no delays and a 12/25 or 12/31 game would be a no go for me.
Arizona was the 27th and Texas the 26th. We traveled on X-Mas for the Insight and the Eve for the Texas Bowl. But since Kevin was playing- we were all pretty invested.
But...in those first few years- Rutgers did a really shitty job helping families make arrangements and didn't organize anything for families during that time. - not to pay for anything but just to even let us know what hotel or to block off some rooms for us. In 2005- we were completely left on our own and when we called out to the bowl- the dumb shits gave us the other school's hotel. We had to make a change after we got there. Rutgers also had tables up in those first couple of bowls to help staff family do things and had some nice organized events for staff family too- but again, player family- not much help at all...in the later bowls, maybe we just got better at it and we got to know more families- but it seemed so much easier.
And every bowl was a blast- the wife and I have been in sales and always able to work remote if we wanted so we usually took 5-7 days for each one. We even drove back and forth to Bama for the no pizza bowl

• Wow
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT