ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PREVIEW/LIVE THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were not great and drove me nuts for long stretches in the game...but yeah this one's on Rutgers.
We got 2 game winning shot opportunities
They got 1
They won on st Patrick’s day

Last edited:
Reactions: QD43
They were not great and drove me nuts for long stretches in the game...but yeah this one's on Rutgers.
well.. we were in position to win and did not.. so that part is on Rutgers.

But, if not for the refs, we would have been or more points ahead at the end. And even if you allow that to be simple incompetence by those refs, you had Cliff pulling down an important offensive board late and he was fouled by 2 guys and we "lost the ball".

Routinely, ND was allowed to push and shove and hook our guys to control them and we got called for similar things.

Did anyone else think that Harper was fouled on that three-pointer to tie it at 87? Granted they won by two, but they would have gone into their offense sooner if they had been behind

This game was 110% on Pike and I don’t want to hear otherwise from anyone on this board.

The players played their asses off and deserved to win that game.
Pike would have had to have a way to stop the penetration that happened all game

we went the entire season without getting ripped to pieces on the inside, play after play...

all of a sudden it was a huge weakness...... when everybody thought it was the three pointers being the threat, and RU stronger inside...

what the heck

Reactions: RW90
Just a rough guess, but I assume ND had 60+ points in the paint? That’s on coach. Their entire offense in OT was drive, chuck it at the rim, and get the put back if it doesn’t go in

Reactions: QD43 and Mr Magoo
I feel awful. We had it until we didn’t multiple times.

Appreciate seeing Geo Ron and Caleb throughout the years they’ve brought tons of fun and hope

We were up 7 and plying well and then for whatever reason Hyatt and Mag came in and stayed for a while…smh
Ron and geo can’t play all game. They were gassed. Giving them that breather got Ron and geo an extra OT. I understand I thought same thing but we were gassed.

Reactions: MikeRU09
Just a rough guess, but I assume ND had 60+ points in the paint? That’s on coach. Their entire offense in OT was drive, chuck it at the rim, and get the put back if it doesn’t go in
Very very well coached. They don’t turn the ball over either. I hate Brey but damn he showed us something today .

Pike didnt pass the ball in...something you learn and I teach. Pass the player open he had Geo open he had a step you then pass him.open. a high lob is the absolute dumbest pass I r seen now multiple gsmes
Bro. This isn’t complicated.

Paul inbounds (I’d like him to be an option here but he’s our best passer so okay you accept that).

He puts Hyatt on the floor and runs him to the other end of the court. Okay so he’s not an option.

Then your remaining 3 guys you just have them run around like their heads are cut off.

No screen to get a man free? Absolute trash. The fact that anyone is defending that is insane to me. It’s been an issue in multiple games. Some of you are straight up blind to the things Pike needs to improve.

Another inbounds play brain fart that was masked by two answered prayers from Ron Harper Jr.

The board is way too hard on Mulcahy. He had a poor start but was fine after that. There was no bench production AGAIN, and the starters ran out of gas. This is a game that Rutgers wins by 10 last year because of Myles Johnson and Jacob Young; really wish they stayed.
He literally threw away the game

the problem is that there is a HUGE drop off from starters to bench.

Pike was smart to ride the starters. that decision wasnt the problem.

the problem is recruiting - he hasnt recruited a deep enough team
Disagree. Drop off on offense but a step up in D. Need to play possession ball at the end.

If it wasn't for desperation 3s, we would have lost much earlier. ND was the more disciplined team that was able to run plays effectively. We looked confused, tired and lethargic, and we're bailed out by desperate 3s late in the game. Again, we choked in the clutch. That's how this team will be remembered. They only played well when they weren't expected to win. They couldn't handle success.

Reactions: Rutgers25
No one who has watched us for years should be surprised that we were getting beat regularly off the dribble. It was like Brey went away from his tendencies and decided to attach the basket off ball screens. We were just out of sorts on the defensive end most of the night. We never adjusted. While I don't think the refs cost us the game ND had 8 fouls and we had 6 its in a 2OT game?

Ron and geo can’t play all game. They were gassed. Giving them that breather got Ron and geo an extra OT. I understand I thought same thing but we were gassed.
Then he needs to recruit a bench that isn’t overwhelmed vs ND

the ND fans didnt seem very happy with some of the calls against them in the 2nd half.

other than that one bad call against Caleb I had zero issues with them in the second half

even in the first half I thought Ron got mugged a few times but overall really wasnt that bad

but really, overall, the refs were the LAST thing we should be talking about right now

Reactions: MikeRU09
They scored almost at will late in the game.
For the life of me, I don't understand why they let Wesley get a free run to the basket at the end of the first OT. Guy couldn't hit the wide side of a barn all game including on the FT line. FOUL HIM and make him make two FTs to tie the game.

If it wasn't for desperation 3s, we would have lost much earlier. ND was the more disciplined team that was able to run plays effectively. We looked confused, tired and lethargic, and we're bailed out by desperate 3s late in the game. Again, we choked in the clutch. That's how this team will be remembered. They only played well when they weren't expected to win. They couldn't handle success.
You are another asshole but you take it to a whole nother level.

Pike would have had to have a way to stop the penetration that happened all game

we went the entire season without getting ripped to pieces on the inside, play after play...

all of a sudden it was a huge weakness...... when everybody thought it was the three pointers being the threat, and RU stronger inside...

what the heck
I have no issue with the penetration tbh.

I mean we knew they were a good shooting team and we were worried about pikes flash double/pressure in the post creating kick outs.

Instead of doing that Pike decided to just take the 3 ball away entirely. That was his GP so you live and die with it.

Reactions: redking
The last possession in regulation was killer. The game should have been won there period..settling for an outside shot inexcusable
Agree. I think we got a Harper 3 and then a Geo elbow fade and neither went in. You want those guys taking shots but one needs to go down.

Reactions: wheezer
Bro. This isn’t complicated.

Paul inbounds (I’d like him to be an option here but he’s our best passer so okay you accept that).

He puts Hyatt on the floor and runs him to the other end of the court. Okay so he’s not an option.

Then your remaining 3 guys you just have them run around like their heads are cut off.

No screen to get a man free? Absolute trash. The fact that anyone is defending that is insane to me. It’s been an issue in multiple games. Some of you are straight up blind to the things Pike needs to improve.
No I totally agree. Pike has many things to work on. And I think just because he’s taken us to 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments doesn’t mean he has no flaws. He has a ton. And in order for us to get past the first couple rounds ur needs to work on them. We could’ve easily have won

Another inbounds play brain fart that was masked by two answered prayers from Ron Harper Jr.

The board is way too hard on Mulcahy. He had a poor start but was fine after that. There was no bench production AGAIN, and the starters ran out of gas. This is a game that Rutgers wins by 10 last year because of Myles Johnson and Jacob Young; really wish they stayed.
Paul had about as bad a defensive game as possible. He was in every highlight for the wrong reason.

Disagree. Drop off on offense but a step up in D. Need to play possession ball at the end.

I hear ya but I dont remember if there were opportunities for that.

that doesnt always work - e.g., put Miller in for defense and then there are no breaks and hes left in there and hes a liability on offense

I have no issue with the penetration tbh.

I mean we knew they were a good shooting team and we were worried about pikes flash double/pressure in the post creating kick outs.

Instead of doing that Pike decided to just take the 3 ball away entirely. That was his GP so you live and die with it.
But then you have to rebound.
No matter what, you have to rebound and they didn't do it all game

Reactions: wheezer
No I totally agree. Pike has many things to work on. And I think just because he’s taken us to 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments doesn’t mean he has no flaws. He has a ton. And in order for us to get past the first couple rounds ur needs to work on them. We could’ve easily have won
I actually think you’re a great poster that in general leans on the positive/benefit of the doubt side of things, but you’ll call it how you see it for the most part.

Some people are just afraid to criticize Pike and it’s nonsense IMO

Reactions: Danprusa_4
The season ended exactly the way it ended against Houston, Geo doing things he should not be doing. Geo 7-19, 3 TOs, Paul 3-11 3 TOs. You came back to end the season the same way it ended last year,.

Geo for 5 years is consistently inconsistent. He makes the same big shots for five years, he makes the same dumb mistakes and fouls for five years, he plays under control for five years, he doesn't know when to stop shooting when its not there. freshman through 5th year senior he gives you 12 pts 3-4asts and 2-3rebs. Consistently Inconsistent.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Rutgers should have won the game prior to third OT but the defense was pathetic.Final score 89-87 Notre Dame.The failure of the Mulcahy in bounds pass was beyond belief because it has happened before.The coaching staff has to take the blame for that play.When Rutgers scores 87 points they must win that game .The defense was abysmal especially around the basket.
How do you blame a coach if a player throws a bad pass when Harper was right there to catch it and then probably get fouled?

Second game Mulcahy threw a bad pass on an inbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT