ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton - undefeated

APKnight

Senior
Nov 21, 2013
Great job by Princeton so far. Included in their wins is a 30 point win at Michigan. If I were Julie, I would keep an eye on the Princeton coach. They are very well coached. With all of our top rated recruits, we should be much better than we are. I am disappointed this year.

Originally posted by APKnight:
Great job by Princeton so far. Included in their wins is a 30 point win at Michigan. If I were Julie, I would keep an eye on the Princeton coach. They are very well coached. With all of our top rated recruits, we should be much better than we are. I am disappointed this year.
Why do you think we have so many top rated recruits? CVS will have the team prepared come tournament time. BTW Princeton has not played any top rated teams, however, I give them credit as it is hard to stay undefeated this late in the season regardless of schedule.

Agree with APK. Stringer recruits great classes but for the most part they don't get any better. I'm a big RU fan, but if I were a Top 50, Top 100 player I wouldn't go to RU. Stringer needs to wake up. It is 2015.

Only one Win by the Tigers has been in single digits.
16 of 17 wins in double figures and many of those were large
They beat Pitt by16 and Michigan by 30

Odd schedule if I read it correctly...last game on the 10th and don't play again until the 30th.
17-0. 13 to play, all Ivy League

Princeton has finals the latter half of January. There are no sports competition during this period.

Coach could also be a big fish in a small pond. be careful looking at how teams out of the spotlight play and then thinking it would be the same or better in the spotlight. See Gary Waters, see Stan Heath, see Randy Edsal in football etc

I'd keep an eye on her, but it's definitely important to understand that recruiting is different at the Ivy League schools than at a B1G school, and that would be a factor in evaluating her potential.

I agree but one can only imagine what she could accomplish with a team full of All Americans. I'm not advocating for CVS' removal. I'm just looking ahead to the future. Anything can happen. A good AD keeps a short list in her hip pocket.

APKnight, do you not understand that CVS and the Princeton coach do not recruit the same players. She would not work at RU.

Originally posted by Scarletwoman:
APKnight, do you not understand that CVS and the Princeton coach do not recruit the same players. She would not work at RU.
When the time comes (which I hope is not soon), whoever RU hires will be a risk of some sort. The choice likely will be between someone who's been successful in a lesser conference and someone who's been in a major conference but as an assistant, unless by that time RU has a lot of money to throw at the job.

In practice, a lot of major conference hires are people who have shown coaching talent and the ability to recruit in lesser conferences and have not been recruiting the kinds of players who would come to a major program. The betting in those cases is that the success they have in a challenging recruiting environment will translate to success in an environment where you aren't as constrained by other school-related factors. The Ivy League has some very strict constraints - admission standards plus not offering athletic scholarships. The question you'd have is whether she would be able to adjust her recruiting accordingly if she were freed from those constraints.

There has been a lot of local talent that is now playing elsewhere: the Mabreys, Flaherty, Hynes-Allen, Sykes, and Mincy, to name a few. Also, whatever happened to the NYC pipeline that brought us Piph, Kia, and B-Ray; which could have been affected positively OR negatively by the late Apache Paschall? A lot of the "shore" talent consists of excellent three point shooters.

On the other hand, we have done well in Georgia and other Southern states. Also, membership in the BIG could bring interest from Midwest players. While recruiting efforts are closed-mouthed at Rutgers (some of this is limited per NCAA rules), Carlene had posted many tweets which, without crossing any lines, gave an indication of some of our targets.

With the exception of Tyler, the past couple of years did not include any top ten/all american talent. With Laney's graduation, followed by Copper (#17), Rachel, and Briona, I am hoping that we can sign some top talent from the class of 2016. Unfortunately, much of those players have already given verbal commitments to elite schools.

I wonder what effect Carlene might have on future recruiting if she were to be hired or retained by CVS?

I am not sure CVS retires at the end of her contract, I could see RU extending it, but at some point she will and it could happen in 4 years who knows but if she announces her retirement in advance it will take a toll on recruiting..and if she announces it after her final game, then it still hurts recruiting because those players will ask to get out of their letter. Tough situation that Julie faces in the future.

I do think someone like the PU coach will be considered. How could she not? I still long for Gail G as a replacement but that ship may have sailed

Originally posted by bac2therac:

I am not sure CVS retires at the end of her contract, I could see RU extending it, but at some point she will and it could happen in 4 years who knows but if she announces her retirement in advance it will take a toll on recruiting..and if she announces it after her final game, then it still hurts recruiting because those players will ask to get out of their letter. Tough situation that Julie faces in the future.

I do think someone like the PU coach will be considered. How could she not? I still long for Gail G as a replacement but that ship may have sailed
I'd like Gail G., too, but all reports are that she's much happier now than she was as a college head coach.

but they always have the fire that still burns in them.....she would be a perfect choice for coach in waiting and she could be hired as an assistant for a year. Don't know what her relationship is like with CVS.

Of course in perfect world, Dawn Staley is my #1 choice. There is no doubt she is on Julie's list but I am not sure the school would be willing to shell out another big contract on a sport that loses money since they took a lot of heat with CVS. Don't laugh but you wonder how happy Geno is at UConn being in such a weak conference, could he get board, maybe he wants a new challenge in the future. Will he retire at UConn. Certainly not as bizarre as one would think right?
This post was edited on 1/23 9:56 AM by bac2therac

Originally posted by bac2therac:

but they always have the fire that still burns in them.....she would be a perfect choice for coach in waiting and she could be hired as an assistant for a year. Don't know what her relationship is like with CVS.

Of course in perfect world, Dawn Staley is my #1 choice. There is no doubt she is on Julie's list but I am not sure the school would be willing to shell out another big contract on a sport that loses money since they took a lot of heat with CVS. Don't laugh but you wonder how happy Geno is at UConn being in such a weak conference, could he get board, maybe he wants a new challenge in the future. Will he retire at UConn. Certainly not as bizarre as one would think right?

This post was edited on 1/23 9:56 AM by bac2therac
Geno at RU? Some heads would explode - not just here, but in Storrs, and possibly Knoxville, too. I think he's unlikely to leave UConn, but I wouldn't rule it out completely if playing in the AAC becomes a complete nightmare (which is not out of the question) and the Huskies can't find an exit strategy.

What I've heard at RebKell about GG is that she's happier because she doesn't miss the recruiting trail one little bit, which doesn't strike me as something that is likely to change.

To make a run at Dawn S. (or Geno, for that matter), you'd need a lot of money plus other evidence of a commitment, like significant facilities upgrades. I think everyone hopes that the upgrades will be in progress before the end of the CVS contract, so that might be helpful in recruiting her or another top coach.

Originally posted by Scarletwoman:
So there isn't any coach that can move up from lower ranks and have success at a larger school ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT