ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Cofifa

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
I was curious if Devco and/or Rutgers is allowed to build houses/condos/apartments in New Brunswick for faculty/staff or if that is considered housing discrimination ? I would think that would go along way to making the town have more of a college sense to it (although NB is light years ahead of the late 70's)Thanks. By the way, the new Honors College looks GREAT !

I was curious if Devco and/or Rutgers is allowed to build houses/condos/apartments in New Brunswick for faculty/staff or if that is considered housing discrimination ? I would think that would go along way to making the town have more of a college sense to it (although NB is light years ahead of the late 70's)Thanks. By the way, the new Honors College looks GREAT !
Actually we are in the planning stages of concept planning for a housing initiative that would hopefully encourage faculty , staff, hospital and medical school staff to live in a neighborhood setting. this would not be a high rise multi family initiative but something closer to the Riverwatch concept of Row Homes and or townhomes. The cost of land is a challenge but this is a priority. It needs to be in a location that will allow residents to use the University bus system, bike and or walk to campus and work.

Appreciate what you do for New Brunswick and the updates you give on this board. Is there anything you can share with regards to the Ferren Deck? Eg Projected timeline, is demolition slated to be happening anytime soon etc. Thanks.

Reactions: RUKeystone
Cofifa,
That sounds terrific. About how many people are you talking about ?
I think you would phase this type of project , that being said you really need to generate critical mass and establish community so I would think an initial phase of 100 would be a good target

We are currently working through environmental challenges on the Ferren . There was a spill from an off site source in the 80's and it needs to be adddressed as part of the demolition phase .

@Cofifa What else is being built behind the new academic building? It looks like a greenhouse, but I'd assume that's for growing the shrubs and stuff being planted. What's going to replace that?

@Cofifa What else is being built behind the new academic building? It looks like a greenhouse, but I'd assume that's for growing the shrubs and stuff being planted. What's going to replace that?
We have attempted to continue the Voorhese Mall through the Academic Builidng. At the top of the Hill/Bishop Place side will be a passive park, which will commemorate the 250th . It will have sitting areas and landscaping. It is also intended to provide room for a tent for gatherings. You will be able to see down through the Mall after the leaves are off the trees you will be able to see Old Queens

Love this project and overall concept! I'm hoping (and assuming) that there will be some work done to "spruce up" the Queen's campus before the 250th. The cupola of Old Queen's badly needs a paint job (same with Murray Hall), and most of the blacktop walkways should be replaced with brick pathways. The latter is a big budget project, but I wonder if some of it could be done in phases.

-Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: Waiohine
We have attempted to continue the Voorhese Mall through the Academic Builidng. At the top of the Hill/Bishop Place side will be a passive park, which will commemorate the 250th . It will have sitting areas and landscaping. It is also intended to provide room for a tent for gatherings. You will be able to see down through the Mall after the leaves are off the trees you will be able to see Old Queens
Awesome.

Great place for a Henry Rutgers statue.

having met Edward Bloustein, you would not find him a suitable candidate for a statue. People here overrate Bloustein as a president; he hung on to the job for 20 years because no one would offer him a better one; he alienated faculty and students; he basically talked to only four other people at the university. He's gotten his memorial and doesn't deserve another. Then again Henry Rutgers (whatever he looked like) is not very suitable either; he got the school named after him with a gift, but then stiffed the school in his will. We need more imagination on candidates.

Reactions: rufancoe00
having met Edward Bloustein, you would not find him a suitable candidate for a statue. People here overrate Bloustein as a president; he hung on to the job for 20 years because no one would offer him a better one; he alienated faculty and students; he basically talked to only four other people at the university. He's gotten his memorial and doesn't deserve another. Then again Henry Rutgers (whatever he looked like) is not very suitable either; he got the school named after him with a gift, but then stiffed the school in his will. We need more imagination on candidates.
Michigan State has Sparty. State Penn has the Lion statue. Naturally, a Scarlet Knight makes sense here. Do it!

Reactions: SF88
Michigan State has Sparty. State Penn has the Lion statue. Naturally, a Scarlet Knight makes sense here. Do it!
Love the idea. Knight on a horse. Students would paint it scarlet every year, like they paint the glove on the Brooks Robinson statute at Camden Yards gold.

Reactions: SF88
Eh. Henry Rutgers didn't give the school that much in all honesty. Unless it's entirely privately funded, seems unnecessary. Maybe a statue of Bloustein, a Scarlet Knight statue, or such. Something that has had or has more impact on the school.

Didn't give the school that much? This is a myth perpetuated by the fact that a $5,000 bond and bell doesn't sound like much and the assumption that the school changed its name in hopes of getting more (though I've never seen anything but speculation to that point). .

The reality is that it was a good gift for the times. His gift did help but more importantly his name and reputation backing the school were extremely valuable. Henry Rutgers was a great philanthropist and leader in the New York and New Jersey area. His name came with great credibility and recognition. So to say he didn't give the school that much is vastly understating his impact.

But I suggest the statue not just because of his gift/impact on Rutgers but because of his enormous impact on the entire region. He was a great American figure and merits such recognition. Not to mention it would become a place of pride and tradition for students and alumni.

And yes, of course, privately funded.

Didn't give the school that much? This is a myth perpetuated by the fact that a $5,000 bond and bell doesn't sound like much and the assumption that the school changed its name in hopes of getting more (though I've never seen anything but speculation to that point). .

The reality is that it was a good gift for the times. His gift did help but more importantly his name and reputation backing the school were extremely valuable. Henry Rutgers was a great philanthropist and leader in the New York and New Jersey area. His name came with great credibility and recognition. So to say he didn't give the school that much is vastly understating his impact.

But I suggest the statue not just because of his gift/impact on Rutgers but because of his enormous impact on the entire region. He was a great American figure and merits such recognition. Not to mention it would become a place of pride and tradition for students and alumni.

And yes, of course, privately funded.
18241456.jpg
some people may not know this but there are 2 streets in Manhattan named after Henry Rutgers north of the Manhattan Bridge near the 'F' line station

Eh. Henry Rutgers didn't give the school that much in all honesty. Unless it's entirely privately funded, seems unnecessary. Maybe a statue of Bloustein, a Scarlet Knight statue, or such. Something that has had or has more impact on the school.

Lets go for it - build a statute of the richest guy around and hope for a money flow....

I get that Col. Rutgers didn't really give that much, even when adjusted for current dollars. But the school could have gone under without him. And Dr. Bloustein, while deserving of one for a host of reasons, wasn't exactly beloved during his administration. Perpahs Eddie could go by the library if you want one for him. And a Scarlet Knight belongs elsewhere. So give Henry his due here, with a view of Old Queens (and incidentally Willie the Silent) when the leaves are down.

going back to the original topic, the lack of real housing stock is what hampers the city's ability to attract and retain young profs. Since the houses aren't desirable, more Riverwatch style townhomes need to come into play. Building them a few blocks off of downtown would be beneficial long-term to the city

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT