ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
It is my understanding that Rutgers would be away from the RAC for a year. Also,there would be some form of a luxury box. Would you rather play at Jadwin or Newark during that off season?

Jadwin probably makes more sense even though Newark is more convenient for me.

As long as they don't screw too much with what makes the RAC great I don't really care where we play for that year though. Oh, and move the student section closer to the court for god sake

If they need to make us play away from home for a season that should be our signal that they are doing too much and are going to ruin the RAC.

I find it hard to believe they couldn’t build those office into luxury suites and build a welcome plaza in stages. Over multiple off seasons

Bathrooms in the back should be able to be done in one season.

If they try to kick us out for a year we better start kicking and screaming.

Modernize the exterior and entrances, put in better/more bathrooms and concessions, upgrade the seating, scoreboards, etc, but keep the configuration just like it is (seats practically on top of the court), ideally add 1,000 seats or so, but that's enough. Don't mess with what makes it awesome now.

Reactions: RU82 and RW90
There are lots of ways to upgrade the RAC without messing with what's good. And there are easy ways to screw it up. On the good: expand the concourse and bathrooms. Expand the seating behind each basket. I could see boxes from the current admin offices being moved out and toward the court creating an overhang over the concourse and that would likely increase the noise reverberation so I'm Ok with that.

Anything that messes with the main seating on each side of the court is bad. Keep it the same sardine-can hot-mess it is now.

You want 8000 rabid fans.

there are 2 reasons why I wouldn’t take clients to a Rutgers game….

Reason 2….it is uncomfortable and the food stinks.
Reason 1…why would I ever want to ruin my experience worrying about someone else

please don’t fill the building with people not all in on Rutgers basketball.

The only thing I care about for the 2 hours I am in the RAC is the game in front of me. The 15 minutes of halftime goes so quick.

The team and fans make the arena.
Not the other way around.

Can an arena help boost an undertalented team? Sure.
But talented teams shouldn't need the arena to win games - see away games, conference tournaments, NCAA tournament.

Literally same conversation just happened with the Warriors and moving to a new arena.
It "wasn't as good" - until the team started winning. It was good enough to just win a championship.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/culture/...cle_f21c9301-14ec-5dde-9313-3e667cf2a1e8.html

Guys

Trust the powers to be on this

They know the value of the RAC…and what makes it the home court it is

I fully expect
1) the old media room to be blown out
2.) bring in an the end zone to just under to where the glass offices
3.) the glass offices become a club or luxury boxes or some combo
4.) the above adds 1500-2000 seats with no affect on crowd noise (if anything …makes it louder
5.) then take the filler in concourse and keep going with it toward the circle and put in the entranced there with more ammentiris and bac to the rac’s permanent chicken finger stand ….

Office built there …maybe a restaurant or team apparel store there. A real ticket office

The works

Guys

Trust the powers to be on this

They know the value of the RAC…and what makes it the home court it is

I fully expect
1) the old media room to be blown out
2.) bring in an the end zone to just under to where the glass offices
3.) the glass offices become a club or luxury boxes or some combo
4.) the above adds 1500-2000 seats with no affect on crowd noise (if anything …makes it louder
5.) then take the filler in concourse and keep going with it toward the circle and put in the entranced there with more ammentiris and bac to the rac’s permanent chicken finger stand ….

Office built there …maybe a restaurant or team apparel store there. A real ticket office

The works
Sounds good to me. A lot of underutilized space in front of the RAC. And bac better be working on a special gourmet chicken finger recipe or at the very least a collaboration with some celebrity chef for the permanent chicken finger stand.

College basketball is 2 hours. The game is quick. I am very worried that the renovation will lead to a different atmosphere. Leave the RAC be!!!!
We saw what they did to 118. Half empty airport bar during many games. We may be the only school that kept shrinking its arena. I fear RU will screw up perhaps the best home court advantage in the country.

We saw what they did to 118. Half empty airport bar during many games. We may be the only school that kept shrinking its arena. I fear RU will screw up perhaps the best home court advantage in the country.
Maybe in the minority but 118 was a symbol of what has held RU back for years and I’m glad they are getting more dollars than they were before. Great move, enjoyed the vibe in the new area.

What year would this be?

Crazy idea - but what if we went full barnstorming and went all away games?

Work out an agreement with the BIG for increased revenue for that particular year.
Really load up the coffers.
Maybe it can be planned for Griffiths 2nd year?

What year would this be?

Work out an agreement with the BIG for increased revenue for that particular year.
How about I start watching the NBA....

These are still college kids, they go to class and enjoy the college experience, plus fatigue of flights and strange hotel rooms.

Still taking 14 bus rides to East Rutherford to the IZOD Center (home to KVH, Chris Morris, Kenny Anderson, Buck Williams and Chris Dudley) is no picnic (does it even still exist?)

Reactions: NickRU714
It’s should be simple but I’m sure they’ll make it complicated. Clear out everything in the side rooms put in concessions, bathrooms. Blow out front with huge atrium expand bathrooms, concessions, ticket/merchandise sales. Throw in some luxury boxes over top and permanent student seating. That should take NJ Unions 3 and a half years to build. Nonunion about 10 months.

Last edited:
It’s should be simple but I’m sure they’ll make it complicated. Clear out everything in the side rooms put in concessions bathrooms. Blow out front with huge atrium expand bathrooms, concessions, ticket merchandise sales. Throw in some luxury boxes over top and permanent student seating. That should take NJ Unions 3 and a half years to build. Nonunion about 10 months.
LOL - excellent! Maybe that $100M from the Gov won't go as far as you think when you're paying union prices.

What year would this be?

Correct- crazy idea and no thank you.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
We’ve been down this road before. I’m skeptical that anything actually happens….or years away at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT