ADVERTISEMENT

RAC renovation

I think more revenue can be generated by just raising ticket prices. I think (don't know) you can actually generate more revenue with the current configuration than adding 2,000 seats and having club seating.
Premium seating brings in way more money. A 20 person suite can easily bring in $5,000. At $20/ticket, you'd need space for 250 seats to replace that revenue

It's crazy. Been to multiple mid-week and weekend games at Pru this year.
I literally went to Pru for Cirque de solie last Friday.
Got there 7pm on a Friday.
Minimal traffic coming from 78 to 21.

The only time I hit significant traffic was picking up my sister after Justin Bieber. I don't think we'll have to worry about a crowd of that magnitude though.

Does $30 to park suck? Yes but it's a one year deal.
No matter where we move games it socks.
Students aren't going to the Meadowlands or Trenton.
Rutgers basketball is bigger than Bieber now!

The only time I hit significant traffic was picking up my sister after Justin Bieber. I don't think we'll have to worry about a crowd of that magnitude though.

Wouldn't be shocked if RU works out a deal with parking lots there for parking passes or something.

I hope the fanbase that takes mass transit enjoys the beautiful aroma of Newark Penn Station or parking at $30 minimally as well as commuting to that hellhole during rush hour. I also cannot see many students attending games in Newark unless it’s a big game
If we have to relocate for a year, I’m sure it ll be Newark but it will piss the hell out of me
What you describe is the secondary reason why I don’t go to Devils games

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The RAC has improved a lot over the past 10 years...scoreboard, sound system, etc. Can't we do things in the offseason? I don't know why you need to sacrifice a season unless you are making major changes. Maybe i am thinking small time.....is their really a huge demand for premium seating and club like amenities?

Add a recession that will soon be here....
I still believe that these changes can be done without missing a season at the RAC.

Last edited:
If they knock out the front and build out the concourse that could be pretty involved.
There are two periods of 8 months to do the really involved work, phase 1 before and phase 2 after a 4 month season. It takes planning and I know it isn’t simple, but I really think it can be done.

And there is no place like the RAC. None. If home games are at a new site, it will be a big inconvenience to some or many season ticket holders and students.

Last edited:
I still believe that these changes can be done without missing a season at the RAC.
If they knock out the front and build out the concourse that could be pretty involved.
It can be done. You would have to do it in phases.

I don't know if you watched the MSG renovations on TV., but the work was done over three years without interrupting the Knicks or Rangers seasons.
There was a lot of (prep) work done behind the scenes, so when the work started, they could move quickly to complete critical projects before the start of each season.
They gutted the entire seating bowl and replaced it one summer.
Another season, the lock rooms were remodeled, and so was the media area.
The last summer of work was the sky bridge and other loose ends that needed completion.

I don't think Rutgers has anything near what MSG needed to go through. The closest might be expanding the front of the building.

Detailed-Image-1-48-768x428.jpg

Detailed-Image-2-41-1170x652.jpg

I can't believe the number of complaints on here about RAC renovations finally becoming reality.
The complaints are about giving up an entire home season. For football, it was unavoidable and only five or six days, on Saturdays only, at a time when we always one game at the Meadowlands anyway. Here, it's any day of the week for ~18 games; giving up one of the best home-court advantages in the nation for that year; and possibly having unforeseen negative long-term impacts that weaken that home-court advantage moving forward.

Even if the work affected non-conference action, Rutgers cannot find a way to make improvements from March 14 (just picking the first date of next season's First Four) through December? That's nine months plus two weeks.

The complaints are about giving up an entire home season. For football, it was unavoidable and only five or six days, on Saturdays only, at a time when we always one game at the Meadowlands anyway. Here, it's any day of the week for ~18 games; giving up one of the best home-court advantages in the nation for that year; and possibly having unforeseen negative long-term impacts that weaken that home-court advantage moving forward.

Even if the work affected non-conference action, Rutgers cannot find a way to make improvements from March 14 (just picking the first date of next season's First Four) through December? That's nine months plus two weeks.
I think we're complaining pre-maturely. We don't have all the details yet, but say a season away from home is necessary, do you scrap the entire project because our fans are upset? You don't get funding like this too often.

Did Justin Bieber have anything to say after you picked him up? Was his wife with him? Would he have been upset if you picked him up after picking up your sister?
LOL

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: NickRU714

Why do people hold onto the idea of Rutgers giving up its season? You don't have to do everything in one year. Spread it out over 2 or 3 years while completing the work during the off-season. The Knicks and Rangers had no problem with MSG renovations over three years and had a shorter off-season.

I don't understand all the crapping on the fan base.

Do we only have a great home-court advantage because of architecture?
Pretty sure that architecture didn't lead to a HCA during the Eddie Jordan years.

Why does the home-court advantage have to lessen after any proposed renovations?
Are the fans going to stop cheering?
Might as well pipe in noise then if the HCA is reliant on outside factors.

And even if the HCA does lessen - doesn't mean the team gets worse. Hopefully HC Pike is building a team that could win in an empty arena if necessary (which he already did!).

Reactions: RUPete
Why do people hold onto the idea of Rutgers giving up its season? You don't have to do everything in one year. Spread it out over 2 or 3 years while completing the work during the off-season. The Knicks and Rangers had no problem with MSG renovations over three years and had a shorter off-season.
We will see what they do, but I would guess it is vastly more expensive to do over several seasons, which is why they are looking to get it done quickly. You can’t compare our situation to MSG, where they draw 20,000 a game, the average ticket price is over $100, and people are drinking $17 beers.

What about a season at the college Ave gym? Woukd that be feasible?
no.. it's just too small, doesn't have the infrastructure needed to host or broadcast.... (i think there is a fire code issue when you get anywhere near capacity-- and with the changes made over the years (for volleyball, etc...) i think there's some additional issues... (could be wrong on that last point)...

It would be a great site for a midnight madness or pre-season exhibition for students only...

Guys

Trust the powers to be on this

They know the value of the RAC…and what makes it the home court it is

I fully expect
1) the old media room to be blown out
2.) bring in an the end zone to just under to where the glass offices
3.) the glass offices become a club or luxury boxes or some combo
4.) the above adds 1500-2000 seats with no affect on crowd noise (if anything …makes it louder
5.) then take the filler in concourse and keep going with it toward the circle and put in the entranced there with more ammentiris and bac to the rac’s permanent chicken finger stand ….

Office built there …maybe a restaurant or team apparel store there. A real ticket office

The works
This is spot on. The RAC is an eyesore. Make the changes

Now that RU72 has broken the news, here's what I heard from reliable sources back in February...

*It's 95 percent certain the games will be played in Newark during the season in which construction takes place. RU had also zeroed in on Trenton, but after a few meetings it was determined that Trenton was not a good place to play because it's in the Philly market. TV and radio want the games played in the NY market.

*Don't expect much in regards to added seating

*Bathrooms could remain limited. According to one person I spoke with, paraphrasing..."you wouldn't think it, but adding bathrooms is tricky. There are so many rules and regulations, it would make your head spin."

*Corridors will be expanded

*...and this is the change I found most interesting: the RAC's main entrance will be moved to the side that faces the green lot.
If there going to shut the place for a year and not add seating that's the most ridiclous thing i have ever heard

It can be done. You would have to do it in phases.

I don't know if you watched the MSG renovations on TV., but the work was done over three years without interrupting the Knicks or Rangers seasons.
There was a lot of (prep) work done behind the scenes, so when the work started, they could move quickly to complete critical projects before the start of each season.
They gutted the entire seating bowl and replaced it one summer.
Another season, the lock rooms were remodeled, and so was the media area.
The last summer of work was the sky bridge and other loose ends that needed completion.

I don't think Rutgers has anything near what MSG needed to go through. The closest might be expanding the front of the building.

Detailed-Image-1-48-768x428.jpg

Detailed-Image-2-41-1170x652.jpg
Very good point. MSG was renovated with no interruption to games for Rangers and Knicks. With Basketball being a 4 month season from early to mid November to early March - it makes you wonder why the renovations can’t be done during the 8 month off-season or in increments like MSG did.

Very good point. MSG was renovated with no interruption to games for Rangers and Knicks. With Basketball being a 4 month season from early to mid November to early March - it makes you wonder why the renovations can’t be done during the 8 month off-season or in increments like MSG did.
Guess is MSG paid more to do it in increments.
also with soaring costs the sooner the better for RU. No need to prolong this over several years

Reactions: RUKen
They could add a LOT more space and only a 1000 seats. You are packed in at the RAC like few other places. LOVE IT. I’m just sayin

If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a few venues with one larger anchor venue for the league games.

This

Also do we think people will travel to Newark to see RU play Central Connecticut or Norfolk St..im not interested in $50 of travel cost

Also how would they handle season ticket cost and seating

The RAC has improved a lot over the past 10 years...scoreboard, sound system, etc. Can't we do things in the offseason? I don't know why you need to sacrifice a season unless you are making major changes. Maybe i am thinking small time.....is their really a huge demand for premium seating and club like amenities?

Add a recession that will soon be here....

Its for jonny come latelys and politicos in the know

Reactions: Unionst
This

Also do we think people will travel to Newark to see RU play Central Connecticut or Norfolk St..im not interested in $50 of travel cost

Also how would they handle season ticket cost and seating
The same way we did it at Giants Stadium games.

The only difference I see is the parking situation. That part is not good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT