ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Wisconsin - Noon On Peacock

I’m surprised this isnt the case…peacock is a worthless nbc network, full of nbc garbage few want to watch.
I didn't find anything to watch besides the game either but I actually prefer it packaged like that. If there was a chance I did find something, it's better that I had the game and some other things to enhance value rather than just the game itself.

When I say all the same, I'm not talking about functionality or ease of use and more in terms of paying for content. Whether it's cable or streaming services, we're paying for content.

In one case (cable/youtube tv), it's almost like a utility so people don't think of it as different or "extra" and it's just part of our everyday ecosystem and is sort of "grandfathered" into most people's minds. But if you have to get a streaming service it has that feel of different and "extra" but it's still boils down to the same thing, it's paying for content. A streaming service just seems like extra and different because it's not part of our everyday ecosystem.

I agree with your comments about usability and functionality. App switching isn't easy. For me, if I'm in a situation like that, I use my iPad for the "extra" app and the big tv for the games on "regular" tv. Also agree that I didn't see any worthwhile content on Peacock besides this game. Don't watch other sports and none of the series looked promising. I normally go for the annual plans but since I don't see a long term value with Peacock, I'll probably just take it for the month and then cut it off. I already have too many things in my watchlist backlog. I'm about as bad as Boeing with their aircraft backlog haha.
If I am not mistaken, there is a limited opportunity to rewatch the Rutgers games. Some (maybe not a lot) prefer to record the games to their library and rewatch several times. After football season, I will sometimes go back and watch a couple of Rutgers games in my sports dead period- not a huge basketball fan and don't watch hockey.

If I am not mistaken, there is a limited opportunity to rewatch the Rutgers games. Some (maybe not a lot) prefer to record the games to their library and rewatch several times. After football season, I will sometimes go back and watch a couple of Rutgers games in my sports dead period- not a huge basketball fan and don't watch hockey.
Not familiar with that, I'm just watch once kind of person. I haven't signed up for Peacock yet to know. If you've already signed up go checkout one of the sports they've broadcast like EPL or even the previous B10 games from earlier this season and see if they're available. If you look back to the week 1 B10 game (ECU/Michigan) to now, you might get an idea of how long they stay in the catalog as well. Take a look at some sport that might have aired in the spring or summer and see if it's still there too.

On youtube tv, I think anything recorded lasts about 9 months iirc.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not familiar with that, I'm just watch once kind of person. I haven't signed up for Peacock yet to know. If you've already signed up go checkout one of the sports they've broadcast like EPL or even the previous B10 games from earlier this season and see if they're available. If you look back to the week 1 B10 game (ECU/Michigan) to now, you might get an idea of how long they stay in the catalog as well. Take a look at some sport that might have aired in the spring or summer and see if it's still there too.

On youtube tv, I think anything recorded lasts about 9 months iirc.
I perused for a while, and I know I'm coming across as old and grouchy (I am!!!), but navigating the app and finding what you want is a challenge. I did find a helpful + feature that let's you set your content, but that's only for individual games, and not the B1G content. At least there's that!

This is a good point that all streamers will need to address - long term storage.
For example if a movie moves off Netflix - I can't record or download it for viewing later.
I have a bunch of movies recorded from months ago off cable that haven't watched.

Even outside of sports - if I "purchase" a movie off Apple and Amazon can't they eventually just remove the movie from my purchases in the future (for whatever reason - such as content is iut of vigue or movie is "cancelled" now?)
I guess hypothetically cable and recorded events could happen too.

Back to physical media!!!
Record the games to tape and you have them forever!
I might still have the 2005 Insight Bowl on tape. Wanted to see if I made it on TV in the student section.

We actually still do physical CDs. Not often anymore but don't think we've ever bought a purely "digital album" off Apple or something.

Reactions: Kbee3
This is a good point that all streamers will need to address - long term storage.
For example if a movie moves off Netflix - I can't record or download it for viewing later.
I have a bunch of movies recorded from months ago off cable that haven't watched.

Even outside of sports - if I "purchase" a movie off Apple and Amazon can't they eventually just remove the movie from my purchases in the future (for whatever reason - such as content is iut of vigue or movie is "cancelled" now?)
I guess hypothetically cable and recorded events could happen too.

Back to physical media!!!
Record the games to tape and you have them forever!
I might still have the 2005 Insight Bowl on tape. Wanted to see if I made it on TV in the student section.
You do make some good points that some fans are just old men screaming at clouds. The two biggest bugaboos I have are (1) seamlessly switching between games from an App to YouTubeTV- solved by having the game on a computer or tablet, but not the same experience; (2) the recordings.

I did check Peacock (as noted, I bought the annual subscription for $39.99), and I do see B1G games as far back as Sept 2. available. That's good to know. As @rutgersguy1 noted, YouTube recordings are only good for 9 months, which kind of sucks, but gotta think that storage gets expensive and has to be purged for the millions of subscribers. One thing YouTubeTV does not let you do is delete recordings you no longer want. I recorded the Rutgers spring practice, and YouTubeTV recorded ALL of the Spring practices for ALL B1G Teams.

You are right about purchasing movies versus "having" them on Netflix, Peacock, etc. It's not the same.

We have a Plex lifetime pass, and we "transcribed" a bunch of favorite movies and have them loaded on our home theatre server. We also have a lot of old TV episodes that are not available through any service, or they have been heavily edited for copyright or PC reasons. Beavis and Butt-Head old episodes - some of the best parts were the commentary on music videos and bands--on Paramount, the videos have been edited out, which sucks, in the words of Beavis and Butt-Head. Same thing for some old Odd Couple episodes. In a funny twist, there is an old Sanford and Son episode when Rollo and Lamont go to a gay bar, and then Fred and Bubba go into the same bar looking for them--IMO, there was absolutely nothing offensive about the old episode, but Sony saw fit to edit out some overly flamboyant patrons in the bar, which is kind of comical. Have watched that episode with a couple of LGT people, and they were like, why would they edit that out? 🤷‍♂️

It's not the same. With cable TV or a streaming cable service such as YouTube TV, one can access ALL (well, now most) games by quickly changing channels in one location.

With Amazon, Apple, and Peacock, to access a small handful of games on a separate app. A user must close theiir main TV app, switch to a streaming app and then find the game they want to watch. For those that like to flip between games on their TV, this is onerous, and time-consuming. For the more tech savvy, you can put Peacock on your mobile device or computer while watching the rest of the games on TV, but their is probably a fair number of people who are not equipped or inclined to do this.

@NickRU714 likes to play the comedic contrarian, but the reality is this is a PITA. And contrary to his schtick, many people still watch a lot of other content via Cable TV or YouTubeTV- local news, national news, financial news, weather, movies, etc. With YouTubeTV, I can put all my favorite channels at the top of the menu for easy access.

I already detailed that there is nothing of interest on the Peacock app besides a small handful of football games and basketball games. The rest of the content is useless crap to me. I have saidabove that I would have no problem buying games on a pay per view basis, which is much easier than subscribing and unsubscribing to a service I don't want with auto renew.
This 100% - switching the app is really annoying. I agree it’s not the money. We usually let the kids put something else on during half time and keep flipping back until the game is on. That would be a real pain with peacock.

This 100% - switching the app is really annoying. I agree it’s not the money. We usually let the kids put something else on during half time and keep flipping back until the game is on. That would be a real pain with peacock.

No company is going to consider "how can we make it easy for people to switch away from our content to other content".

If anything, ideally the Big Ten needs to move more games over to a central interface (Peacock or BTN app) so that it's ONLY easy to watch their own games and no other competing games.

• Love
I’m curious - does anyone know what the data looks like so far on relative Peacock viewership? By relative I mean viewers who are not part of the committed fan base seeking out the game (who will watch no matter what). I’m pretty sure we will have close to zero casual fan viewers who check out Peacock while surfing around for something to watch. Only committed Rutgers fans proactively seeking out the game. But then - if Alabama was on Peacock next week, how many non die hard Alabama fans would go to Peacock to look for their game? I’m thinking not that many?

No company is going to consider "how can we make it easy for people to switch away from our content to other content".

If anything, ideally the Big Ten needs to move more games over to a central interface (Peacock or BTN app) so that it's ONLY easy to watch their own games and no other competing games.
I just had a brainstorm. And it's a great one. I'm offering you a ground floor opportunity.

Let's create an app called My B1G Peacock.

It only streams B1G sports, and only B1G sports. We will kill it.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
I’m curious - does anyone know what the data looks like so far on relative Peacock viewership? By relative I mean viewers who are not part of the committed fan base seeking out the game (who will watch no matter what). I’m pretty sure we will have close to zero casual fan viewers who check out Peacock while surfing around for something to watch. Only committed Rutgers fans proactively seeking out the game. But then - if Alabama was on Peacock next week, how many non die hard Alabama fans would go to Peacock to look for their game? I’m thinking not that many?
You’re not wrong of course, But NBC/Peacock are playing a long range game with their B1G games. 8 games a year is not going to make a big difference either way, but it’s a start.

You’re not wrong of course, But NBC/Peacock are playing a long range game with their B1G games. 8 games a year is not going to make a big difference either way, but it’s a start.

I’m not understanding what the long range game really is though. Unless Peacock is going to have a stream monopoly, the model is only conducive to a decisive fan base (talking about sports subscribers). Unless the platform evolves to a point where it’s easier to surf across stream sources (like with cable) their are major barriers to capturing a comparable audience to viewing levels on prime cable channels. I bet even ND is taking a big hit there. They have more casual fans than anyone. They have a national fan base, but not all fans are equal. Alums are one thing, but you can bet a large segment of the bandwagon types are not tracking when they play on Peacock to switch applications.

I’m not understanding what the long range game really is though. Unless Peacock is going to have a stream monopoly, the model is only conducive to a decisive fan base (talking about sports subscribers). Unless the platform evolves to a point where it’s easier to surf across stream sources (like with cable) their are major barriers to capturing a comparable audience to viewing levels on prime cable channels. I bet even ND is taking a big hit there. They have more casual fans than anyone. They have a national fan base, but not all fans are equal. Alums are one thing, but you can bet a large segment of the bandwagon types are not tracking when they play on Peacock to switch applications.

The long term plan is simple: how many additional subscribers are they getting this year from Big Ten fans?
Cable subscribers isn't a long term plan.

I would almost guarantee they can track which weeks led to an increase of subs - and thus how much value each game is bringing.

Also they can track when subscribers leave so if a mass exodus of cancelation on Monday it'll be clear - Wis/Rut fans won't keep a subscription. Which hurts how much money we generate for media partners.
Which in turn makes us look bad for the Big Ten to monetize the media rights.

Unfortunately for sports fans, we rely on casual cable subscribers to keep costs low for us.

Very soon sports fan will have to cover a greater and greater burden for the $1b/year media contracts we celebrate over.

The long term plan is simple: how many additional subscribers are they getting this year from Big Ten fans?
Cable subscribers isn't a long term plan.

I would almost guarantee they can track which weeks led to an increase of subs - and thus how much value each game is bringing.

Also they can track when subscribers leave so if a mass exodus of cancelation on Monday it'll be clear - Wis/Rut fans won't keep a subscription. Which hurts how much money we generate for media partners.
Which in turn makes us look bad for the Big Ten to monetize the media rights.

Unfortunately for sports fans, we rely on casual cable subscribers to keep costs low for us.

Very soon sports fan will have to cover a greater and greater burden for the $1b/year media contracts we celebrate over.

Maybe. But I think they are overanticipating demand. If it gets to be too much of a pain, people might just decide to listen to those handful of games on the radio. I’ll see how peacock goes for this game. Last stream game I watched froze on my smart TV multiple times. I don’t want to watch the game on a laptop for sure.

Maybe. But I think they are overanticipating demand. If it gets to be too much of a pain, people might just decide to listen to those handful of games on the radio. I’ll see how peacock goes for this game. Last stream game I watched froze on my smart TV multiple times. I don’t want to watch the game on a laptop for sure.

If they over anticipated demand then that means a lower next media contract for the Big Ten.
The reason the Big Ten got $1b/year is because they expected a certain amount of demand. If they don’t exceed and actually make less revenue than expected? That’s not good for Rutgers.
Media partners aren’t going to give more money to the Big Ten if they can’t get what they expect back in revenue.

The whole “just subscribe and cancel” actually is the worst possible thing to do.
Showing an appreciable increase in subscribers directly related to an upcoming Rutgers game would be great for the program.

My biggest issue is the viewing experience is not as good on peacock. With comcast dvr you can pretty much watch the game on fast forward and stop right before the plays start. Easy to bounce to another channel real quick during commercials, and return right where you left off.

With the Peacock interface, you hit fast forward and cant see the image so dont know where you end up. And time consuming to bounce in and out of app.

And as stated above you cant start the game late, think you have to wait until its over and start from the top.

Is it like this on other streaming services?

The whole “just subscribe and cancel” actually is the worst possible thing to do.
Showing an appreciable increase in subscribers directly related to an upcoming Rutgers game would be great for the program.
…yet completely predictable behavior. Peacock is a crap network full of content few want. This is way HBO Max turned to Max…so they could shove a whole bunch of shows few care about. Luckily, for those crap shows HBO content functions as the anchor. Peacock is not lucky in that their content is basically all crap… Well, mostly crap.

If they over anticipated demand then that means a lower next media contract for the Big Ten.
The reason the Big Ten got $1b/year is because they expected a certain amount of demand. If they don’t exceed and actually make less revenue than expected? That’s not good for Rutgers.
Media partners aren’t going to give more money to the Big Ten if they can’t get what they expect back in revenue.

Maybe but I doubt it. That’s not the end game because the world isn’t moving to all stream for many many years to come. Older millennials through Baby Boomer generations are united in their preference for a centralized solution. It’s a large group of people that won’t be dropping cable any time soon. Younger generations live under the same roofs as these folks in many cases. We are a long long way from a stream only solution.

So long as there’s still a large market for cable we’re in great shape.

Maybe but I doubt it. That’s not the end game because the world isn’t moving to all stream for many many years to come. Older millennials through Baby Boomer generations are united in their preference for a centralized solution. It’s a large group of people that won’t be dropping cable any time soon. Younger generations live under the same roofs as these folks in many cases. We are a long long way from a stream only solution.

So long as there’s still a large market for cable we’re in great shape.
None of the many different media platforms, including traditional cable, etc. cater to older millenials and boomers (you skipped GenX, which includes me, btw). The target demographic for sports is young males. Thats just the way of the world.
As for having difficulty seeing how NBC could be profitable showing B1G games on Peacock...
For me, it has always been hard to see how the advertising supported broadcasts actually pay. I mean, who is running out and buying all the crap in the commercials?! I guess somebody is. Same thing with streaming. You and I would be amazed at how many people sign up and pay for this stuff.

Long thread, so I apologize as I'm sure this has to have been covered by now. Does Peacock have free trial? I only need it for about 4 hours.

None of the many different media platforms, including traditional cable, etc. cater to older millenials and boomers (you skipped GenX, which includes me, btw). The target demographic for sports is young males. Thats just the way of the world.
As for having difficulty seeing how NBC could be profitable showing B1G games on Peacock...
For me, it has always been hard to see how the advertising supported broadcasts actually pay. I mean, who is running out and buying all the crap in the commercials?! I guess somebody is. Same thing with streaming. You and I would be amazed at how many people sign up and pay for this stuff.
I said millennials through baby boomers didn’t I?

Many young males live with their parents still.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
…yet completely predictable behavior. Peacock is a crap network full of content few want. This is way HBO Max turned to Max…so they could shove a whole bunch of shows few care about. Luckily, for those crap shows HBO content functions as the anchor. Peacock is not lucky in that their content is basically all crap… Well, mostly crap.

Crap to you.
What exactly does cable have that’s so interesting?
Other than live sports, there is zero on cable that interests me.

My wife watches a lot of murder shows on cable. Maybe that’s what everyone is watching? I’ll pass.

Crap to you.
What exactly does cable have that’s so interesting?
Other than live sports, there is zero on cable that interests me.

My wife watches a lot of murder shows on cable. Maybe that’s what everyone is watching? I’ll pass.
Cable has my favorite show....Last Week Tonight with John Oliver....on HBO.
But you're right....not much else.

Long thread, so I apologize as I'm sure this has to have been covered by now. Does Peacock have free trial? I only need it for about 4 hours.
No but you cancel the monthly in 30 days
Cost you $5.99 to watch the game

Cable has my favorite show....Last Week Tonight with John Oliver....on HBO.
But you're right....not much else.

Funny nobody else has answered.
Wonder how many cancel their cable subscription or lower the tier they get in the off-season.

Maybe I'll jump on board with everyone.
How do I cancel my BTN subscription? Dont need it from April through August. I'm done with the Big Ten forcing me to pay for a worthless cable subscription.

Worst part of peacock is that you can’t tape it. I am busy in something I can’t change until after the game starts. I understand I can join late and rewind but if you miss it- shit out of luck

Worst part of peacock is that you can’t tape it. I am busy in something I can’t change until after the game starts. I understand I can join late and rewind but if you miss it- shit out of luck

The prior Big Ten games appear to all be still available on Peacock so you can rewatch it. No need to "tape" it.

Peacock wants $5.99 for me to watch one game? I aint going to pay no five dollars and 99 cents, how am I going to become a billionaire paying all these streaming apps that kind of money. NBC should put all their normal 12 noon shows on peacock and put the Rutgers game on their regular station for free.

The prior Big Ten games appear to all be still available on Peacock so you can rewatch it. No need to "tape" it.
Do you know if they are available immediately or how long I would have to shut down TV, Radio and internet before I could watch it?

Peacock wants $5.99 for me to watch one game? I aint going to pay no five dollars and 99 cents, how am I going to become a billionaire paying all these streaming apps that kind of money. NBC should put all their normal 12 noon shows on peacock and put the Rutgers game on their regular station for free.
In the Spirit of the missing HeavenU. If you sign up and have a Capitol One or Rakuten extension/account they will give you $2.50 back right away lol.
I signed up today for the month for $5.99 and got the $2.50 credited back in an hour.

To boot, the subscription auto renews, and I set my calendar to cancel 3 days before the due date.
I won't say this for certain for Peacock but pretty much any membership I've cancelled before expiration still was good until the renew date even if i cancelled it way in advance.

The reason I refuse to sign up for Peacock is not because I'm "cheap" and I don't think I'm alone here. The reason I won't give in is because I don't want to encourage more ridiculous streaming-only games. It's one thing to have the game available to stream, which is perfectly fine, but requiring fans to sign up and pay for a subscription to watch one game is absolutely ridiculous. I don't want to boost Peacock's numbers by signing up and streaming this game. I'll just monitor the score on my phone and wait for next week.

Just signed up for the month and took a look for those interested in replays. I see the Kentucky Derby from May still available and saw some MLB games from April still available. Don't know if that length of time will apply for B10 football/basketball as well but it's reasonable to think replays will be available for some months after.

The reason I refuse to sign up for Peacock is not because I'm "cheap" and I don't think I'm alone here. The reason I won't give in is because I don't want to encourage more ridiculous streaming-only games. It's one thing to have the game available to stream, which is perfectly fine, but requiring fans to sign up and pay for a subscription to watch one game is absolutely ridiculous. I don't want to boost Peacock's numbers by signing up and streaming this game. I'll just monitor the score on my phone and wait for next week.

Is forcing people to buy cable/BTN to watch games any different?
You say it's the principle - well it's the same principle.

Funny you say it's not about being cheap. Its a lot more expensive to pay for cable to watch 11 games than pay for Peacock for one month to watch 1 games.

If all Rutgers games were on Peacock, it would be much cheaper for the entire year than just 1 month of cable.

Just signed up for the month and took a look for those interested in replays. I see the Kentucky Derby from May still available and saw some MLB games from April still available. Don't know if that length of time will apply for B10 football/basketball as well but it's reasonable to think replays will be available for some months after.
I’m more interested if it is available immediately after the game. I may have to miss it but would love to watch without already knowing the result

I’m more interested if it is available immediately after the game. I may have to miss it but would love to watch without already knowing the result
There was a post above taken from the mgoblog of Michigan that said 30-60 mins after the game. For EPL, I saw the official line was after 9pm eastern of that day but some on reddit said about 30-45 min after the game they've seen those matches pop up but some did have issues when replaying a match. So I suppose it's potentially within an hour after the game finishes but don't know for sure.

Currently, I see Women's Gymnastics All Around final and Korn Ferry Tour Champ Rd 2 going on live or Rugby WC France/Italy coming up at 3pm. If you really wanted to gauge how quickly replays get posted you could always check and see how fast those things get posted

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT