ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan johnson is leaving

higgins3

All American
Dec 15, 2012
Thought this kid had some game. Red shirted last year. Oh well. He's departing the banks. Next up.

MAd,same. I thought this kid had potential and not too many other people offered. Strange. Next up.

Crazy. Seemed to come from a decent HS program. Maybe that was the case though, madhat.

Carino is saying one more player might be added. I think Laurent and Kjohnson can play some 3/wing ball.

Maybe Johnson got confused with all the johnsons during practice. Good luck to him.

Ru onward.

Crazy. Seemed to come from a decent HS program. Maybe that was the case though, madhat.

Carino is saying one more player might be added. I think Laurent and Kjohnson can play some 3/wing ball.

Maybe Johnson got confused with all the johnsons during practice. Good luck to him.

Ru onward.
One more player added, means one more leaving or not coming..
The speculation ; "should I go or should I stay" will continue, if Carino has it right :scream:

From Carino's article about Grier coming in and Ryan Johnson leaving:

Rutgers is at the scholarship limit of 13 players, but indications are there might be one more bit of shuffling involving a prior 2015 commit.

Batie transferring out of RU
Hopefully to a school that's giving him a scholarship.
I'm glad when RU walk-ons get a scholarship from RU or walking-on at RU helped them get one from another U.

This smells like academics...just my guess. 2nd guess would be homesick and maybe he did not adjust to life in Jersey, it's not for everyone.

was this the kid that a few of you were touting based on practice reports. Judging by his offer list this kid might not have been Big 10 material anyhow

We're all speculating. No one knows. I do think RJ had some offensive skills we could've used. Versatility too.

He could shoot Bac. He was undersized but was "the best shooter on the floor" in a game against the best hs team in the country. Oh well. Just weird.

was this the kid that a few of you were touting based on practice reports. Judging by his offer list this kid might not have been Big 10 material anyhow

This guy has not participated in a conversation in weeks....comes back just to drop in some negativity. WOW !!!!

He disappeared after Jordan and Shoes landed Freeman because he could not bash them with constant negatives about their recruiting. You are a piece of work !!!!

Last edited:
Kid might have helped, maybe not.
It's according to your outlook.
Mine is on the bright side, so will say Ryan would have been an offensive asset because I look for the positive.
The positive side of Johnson's leaving us the experience gained by adding Grier and after Omari leaves after this season Nigel will be eligible.
The negative outlook would be the opposite, but neither side of the coin can claim there right ( at least for now)
But as I and others with positive outlooks and look for reasons to have hope, the ones that see darkness will find a way to make every move Jordan makes look like a losing proposition.
Because they don't look for things to go right, just feel the ones that go bump in the night.

On the football board the negative nellies are accused of driving recruits away by all the negative posts about the HC & FB program.
Could Ryan have seen the debbie downers posting their RU MBB sucks thoughts and driven him and Batie away.
Just kidding, but thought t would be fun to throw it in here ;)

Madhat, you think players read these boards?I really don't think so but who knows.

I'll bet they read them all the time. No data, but if I were an RU athlete, I'd read up on the gossip and speculation, and maybe people talking about me.

Madhat, you think players read these boards?I really don't think so but who knows.

Some probably do, but I doubt what's said on the boards affects their decisions.
Probably they laugh about some of the things they read on the boards and think most posting are nuts

Reactions: cyrock3
Batie left because Jordan wasn't Willing to give him a scholarship it's obvious . The kid wants to go somewhere where he's wanted . It's sad because he actually showed signs that he could play and even won us a game . I'm expecting another down year from this program

I like this move. He sounds like a good kid and it won't hurt to have a little more experience on the roster and in the lockerroom. Whether the kid makes a difference on the court is almost irrelevant because it's unlikely that Johnson was going to be much of a contributor. And, hey, a bonus -- now there's finally a Jersey kid with a scholarship on the roster!

So many dumba$$ posts are from phony RU "fans" or trolls from rivals on the free boards-Sallycuse fans were rampant on these boards in the Big East days and we see plenty of Ped Staters recently on the FBall side. Recruits have to know that. I'd guess that the Premium forums provide much more legitimate opinions, commentary, etc. from real fans for recruits wanting to gain some insight on the fan base.

I like this move. He sounds like a good kid and it won't hurt to have a little more experience on the roster and in the lockerroom. Whether the kid makes a difference on the court is almost irrelevant because it's unlikely that Johnson was going to be much of a contributor. And, hey, a bonus -- now there's finally a Jersey kid with a scholarship on the roster!
Like Grier's size--what's the report on him defensively?

Interesting. I thought Johnson could've contributed but that's the last time I'll say it! Onward!

Griers size is good. I want to see him get his stroke back. He is 6 4 and has some wingspan. Defensively, I think he is okay. I have heard he was trying to work on that.

Rutgers won /loss record has far more influence on recruits decision making than anything said on a message board.

Interesting. I thought Johnson could've contributed but that's the last time I'll say it! Onward!

Griers size is good. I want to see him get his stroke back. He is 6 4 and has some wingspan. Defensively, I think he is okay. I have heard he was trying to work on that.
Trying to work on his D as a 1-yr graduate transfer? :(

Yes, Batie tried hard and seems like a great kid but if players like him are getting time in B1G games, we are going backwards. 2+ years after the Rice debacle and we have to move past just filling the roster with D2/D3 talent.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yet no one recruited him..why was that
Could be worried that he wasn't going to qualify and didn't want to take the gamble.
RU took the gamble and he was a partial qualifier that had to redshirt his freshman year instead of being on the floor
like he was needed.
Here's an OTB article that says some schools were interested in him
Ryan Johnson, a wing out of North Carolina, committed to Rutgers today. The 6'5" guard also had interest from UNC-Willmington, Minnesota, and VCU. Phenom Hoops calls him one of the area's best kept secrets, and says his body type compares to former UConn guard Jeremy Lamb. Johnson's video highlights show him to be a pure shooter and Phenom Hoops also lauds his Basketball IQ.
http://www.onthebanks.com/2014/4/28...ryan-johnson-65-wing-guard-commits-to-rutgers

Ryan had offers ,but from schools like James Madison.

Not all kids that are good are highly recruited. Do we expect 4-5 stars to come here right now? We shouldn't and they won't come consistently.

Johnson was said to be a top 15 player in his state. Had length, range. Lacked size. Don't know why he wasn't recruited heavily. He was recruited by teams like JMU, etc. If you think we're better than JMU 10/10 times that is not reality.

Jordan had a plan. It's still going, but I thought Johnson would've contributed here.

Magoo, you're right. We need to move forward and establish a group of players that can compete nightly at this level.

I think this year well see 12+ wins, and year after 15+. Just realistic numbers.

Magoo, you're right. We need to move forward and establish a group of players that can compete nightly at this level.

I think this year well see 12+ wins, and year after 15+. Just realistic numbers.

12+ wins this year would show me there is some progress being made. Anything above that is just gravy.

No doubt. And i think well be able to do it. We lose KJ. Great player, but gave the ball away a ton on offense.

Simple math. Keep the ball in your hands on offense and you have a chance to score more points.

Mack, didn't have many downsides .Could've played better defense, but he gave his all every game.

Hope Jack and Mack find good teams to play for. Some people don't realize this but for many of these players basketball is their only chance. It's what they've spent their life doing. Best to Mack and Jack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT