ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Pricing

GORU2014

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2013
Prices for 2023-2024 came out: https://app.scarletknights.com/TixCentral

The athletic department still can’t get it right for whatever reason. The spread between the 100 level seats and 200 level seats is way too tight (seems to be smaller than last year?). 100 level tickets are routinely selling for $200-300+ on the secondary market, pent up demand is through the roof, yet there’s this fear around raising the prices to market levels.

Missed opportunity for the program to bring in some extra money and get additional people in those seats who actually want to be at the games, instead of giving them away to other people and StubHub.

I think the prices are fair for the 100s are fair. They’re considerably more than the other sections.

Reactions: fatsam98
New pricing (including required RSF donation)

Floor Loge (118)$2200 + $720 Hospitality Fee$300 increase
100 Center (103, 104, 113, 114)$1775$250 increase
100 Foul Line (102, 105, 115, 112)$1575$200 increase
100 Ends (101, 106, 111, 116)$1475$200 increase
200 Center (203-205, 213-215)$750$100 increase
200 Wings (201, 202, 206, 207, 211, 212, 216, 217)$675$75 increase
300 Level$400$75 increase

The athletic department still can’t get it right for whatever reason. The spread between the 100 level seats and 200 level seats is way too tight (seems to be smaller than last year?). 100 level tickets are routinely selling for $200-300+ on the secondary market, pent up demand is through the roof, yet there’s this fear around raising the prices to market levels.

The spread between the cheapest 100 level seats and the most expensive 200 level seats is $725 this year, vs $625 last year.

For 18 home games, the 100 center seats are $99 per game, foul line seats are $88, and the end seats are $82. Those seats are not routinely selling for $200-$300 on StubHub. Some people might get that for the most high-demand games, but 100 level seats do not sell for that routinely. I have 100-level seats, and have sold a few games on StubHub because I couldn't attend. In the past 2 years, only twice was I able to sell those tickets for more than I paid, once for $115 per seat and once for $150 per seat. The 3 other times I sold my seats, I received less than I paid.

I’m not so sure the ticket office is Leaving a ton of money on the table in the 100s

Average ticket price with donation is $90 -$100 (assuming 18 games )

I didn’t sell any of mine on stubhub (but I refuse to do so), but here is what I saw

What I saw
You have about 6 games you can get $50 a seat after fees …$300
You have about 6 games you can $100 a seat after fees ..$600
You have about 6 games you can get $200 a seat after fees …$1200

That’s $2100 (and I might be a little generous) for what costs $1575-$1775

They might still be a little cheap …but not way off .

The spread between the cheapest 100 level seats and the most expensive 200 level seats is $725 this year, vs $625 last year.

For 18 home games, the 100 center seats are $99 per game, foul line seats are $88, and the end seats are $82. Those seats are not routinely selling for $200-$300 on StubHub. Some people might get that for the most high-demand games, but 100 level seats do not sell for that routinely. I have 100-level seats, and have sold a few games on StubHub because I couldn't attend. In the past 2 years, only twice was I able to sell those tickets for more than I paid, once for $115 per seat and once for $150 per seat. The 3 other times I sold my seats, I received less than I paid.
Didn’t realize the cheapest 100s were only $1275 last year. People here routinely said they were paying $1500+ for the corners so it seems like that was inaccurate or they were including excess donations.

Nearly every conference game this year was $200 minimum for the cheapest 100 level seats on StubHub. The prices generally drop closer to the game, but if you look a week or more out, they’re selling (and actually selling, not just sitting there) for those prices or more.

I’m not so sure the ticket office is Leaving a ton of money on the table in the 100s

Average ticket price with donation is $90 -$100 (assuming 18 games )

I didn’t sell any of mine on stubhub (but I refuse to do so), but here is what I saw

What I saw
You have about 6 games you can get $50 a seat after fees …$300
You have about 6 games you can $100 a seat after fees ..$600
You have about 6 games you can get $200 a seat after fees …$1200

That’s $2100 (and I might be a little generous) for what costs $1575-$1775

They might still be a little cheap …but not way off .
I think those are a little low for the resale estimates, but regardless, that’s an immediate 35-40% profit for someone who wants to just resell all or essentially all of their seats (and there are unfortunately people doing that).

Reactions: bac2therac
I think those are a little low for the resale estimates, but regardless, that’s an immediate 35-40% profit for someone who wants to just resell all or essentially all of their seats (and there are unfortunately people doing that).
If you sell all your seats for most of the games, you would be flagged as a potential ticket reseller and prohibited from renewing or purchasing.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Prices for 2023-2024 came out: https://app.scarletknights.com/TixCentral

Missed opportunity for the program to bring in some extra money and get additional people in those seats who actually want to be at the games, instead of giving them away to other people and StubHub.
The problem I have with this is I have never sold me 100 level seats, no matter the game. but they want to raise ticket prices because secondary market tickets are insane for my seats?

That seems unfair, now I might need to sell a big game to get it to be more affordable.

The problem I have with this is I have never sold me 100 level seats, no matter the game. but they want to raise ticket prices because secondary market tickets are insane for my seats?

That seems unfair, now I might need to sell a big game to get it to be more affordable.
Demand and inflation. Do you know how many people want to upgrade to 100s?

You have a buyer 😉

Reactions: darkcheck

You just described the free market.

You’ll still be able to sell your seats and get surplus value. That’s exactly what the issue is.

Ideally, the school would be pricing these appropriately based on the past 4 or so seasons with fans, so that sale prices would be roughly equal to resale prices. That would mean the school is capturing most of the value.

Reactions: FastMJ
In practice yes.
I got the email before when I moved to another state and sold some tickets. They gave me one week to appeal.
You must have been selling a LOT of tickets then and likely all through StubHub. It sounds like they gave you a warning too even in that case.

They’re linked up to StubHub. If anyone sells offline or through random platforms, in all likelihood nothing happens as they’d generally just see transfers instead of sales.

Reactions: bac2therac
$100 a ticket/game in the 100s seems perfectly reasonable if that's what it comes out to.

I hope they never charge obscene amounts for the good seats like the Rangers and Yankees do.
It'll kill the atmosphere with regular people being priced out.

Keep in mind that many of the folks in the 100s maintained those seats for many consecutive seasons of the leanest seasons including the Littlepage years.
And they were given tickets for each of those seasons in which they paid for tickets. That was the transaction, it wasn’t a license for them to override the free market in perpetuity.

And they were given tickets for each of those seasons in which they paid for tickets. That was the transaction, it wasn’t a license for them to override the free market in perpetuity.
There were many years where you couldn’t give the seats and parking away. It’s interesting, I must admit, to hear the pontificating of the Basketball Season Ticket Economists.

Based on the ever rotating cast of people in the seats next to me, I can't believe that's the case
New policy.

Here is the email I got.

‘This letter’s intent is to inform you of changes to Rutgers Athletics TicketingPolicy. Starting in 2022, Rutgers Athletics prohibited ticket purchases with the exclusive intent of reselling the inventory. Rutgers has consolidated its secondary business to one partner through an RFP process, beginning with the 2022 Football and 2022-23 Men’s Basketball seasons, and continuing thereafter.

Your account has been flagged as a potential ticket reseller, meaning you are purchasing tickets with the sole intent of reselling your inventory. At this time, your seats will no longer be available to renew, or purchase new, for the upcoming seasons.

If you believe there has been a mistake, please reply with your full response no later than Monday, March 27th.’

There were many years where you couldn’t give the seats and parking tag away. It’s interesting, I must admit, to hear the pontificating of the Basketball Season Ticket Economists.

Reactions: rutgersron
If the previous threads about it being impossible to get season tickets in the 100s are correct, then I think that indicates that the 100s are underpriced.
It is not impossible to get 100 level seats. But there aren't enough seats for everyone who wants them, so they go to those who are the most loyal donors.

There are only 1624 seats in the 100 level (728 in the center sections, 728 in the foul line sections, and 168 in the end sections). Some of those are behind the visitor bench and reserved for the visiting school. Some are reserved for Rutgers. And some are allocated to corporate sponsors, as part of the benefits they receive from their sponsorship. So there may be 1400 seats available for individuals. And maybe 10% of those become available each year, as people give up their seats for various reasons.

So assume there are about 140 seats available each year, or about 70 pairs of seats (though some may be singles, triples, or 4+). Those get allocated in priority point order, so the people with the most priority points get first choice of those seats.

The good new is you don't need to be in the top 70 of priority points to get 100 level seats. Most people in the top 70 would already have 100 level seats if they wanted them. Even if the top priority point holders with 100-level seats moved to better seats as they become available, they would be freeing up their current seats.

But I think it is fair to say that if you are number 3000 on the priority point list, you probably won't get 100-level seats as they become available. Even if they reallocated all 1624 seats every year, you wouldn't get those seats if you are 3000 on the priority point list.

But if you are truly interested in getting 100-level seats as they become available, you should talk to your R Fund rep and discuss what you need to do to get into those seats as they become available.

Last edited:

Center Court 200's is only $41 v. $99 for 114. Seems about right.

Didn’t realize the cheapest 100s were only $1275 last year. People here routinely said they were paying $1500+ for the corners so it seems like that was inaccurate or they were including excess donations.

Nearly every conference game this year was $200 minimum for the cheapest 100 level seats on StubHub. The prices generally drop closer to the game, but if you look a week or more out, they’re selling (and actually selling, not just sitting there) for those prices or more.
So, wait. You didn't know the published cost for tickets from Rutgers last year. But you expect me to trust you on the unpublished price of tickets sold on the secondary market?

No thanks. I will go with what I know from the 100-level tickets I sold, and from what people around me sold their seats for. You may occasionally get >$200 per seat for a big game. Maybe you'll get that for some other conference games if you have really good seats. But for most OOC games, you taking a loss on your tickets. And for the remainder of the games, you are near the break-even mark +/- a couple of bucks.

(Aside from all conjecture, Rutgers knows exactly what tickets sold on StubHub were sold for. They know what the purchaser paid, what StubHub's fee was, and what the seller was paid-out.)

So, wait. You didn't know the published cost for tickets from Rutgers last year. But you expect me to trust you on the unpublished price of tickets sold on the secondary market?

No thanks. I will go with what I know from the 100-level tickets I sold, and from what people around me sold their seats for. You may occasionally get >$200 per seat for a big game. Maybe you'll get that for some other conference games if you have really good seats. But for most OOC games, you taking a loss on your tickets. And for the remainder of the games, you are near the break-even mark +/- a couple of bucks.

(Aside from all conjecture, Rutgers knows exactly what tickets sold on StubHub were sold for. They know what the purchaser paid, what StubHub's fee was, and what the seller was paid-out.)
Considering I’m shut out from buying the 100 level seats through the school and am not shut out from buying them on StubHub, I did in fact know the StubHub prices. I also knew the approximate 2022 face values for the 100 level, so I apologize if that ~$100/season variance is too big of an issue for you to overlook (especially when the actual numbers further support what I’m saying).

You can also read what others here are saying, or I can make a game-by-game thread next season on resale prices. If you have 100 level seats and aren’t waiting until 2 days before the game to post them, you’re not taking a loss other than maybe 3-4 early season weeknight games.

Reactions: RUsojo
Considering I’m shut out from buying the 100 level seats through the school and am not shut out from buying them on StubHub, I did in fact know the StubHub prices. I also knew the approximate 2022 face values for the 100 level, so I apologize if that ~$100/season variance is too big of an issue for you to overlook (especially when the actual numbers further support what I’m saying).

You can also read what others here are saying, or I can make a game-by-game thread next season on resale prices. If you have 100 level seats and aren’t waiting until 2 days before the game to post them, you’re not taking a loss other than maybe 3-4 early season weeknight games.
So how much should 100 level seats be since you’re an expert?

Reactions: red sail

If you are routinely paying >$200 per seat for 100 level seats off StubHub for anything other than big games, you are

I was going to post some comments about how StubHub provides guidance to sellers so they know if the price they set is high or low compared to what comparable tickets are selling for. And since I have listed tickets, I get the benefit of that guidance.

But then I thought, GoRU2014 is right. He is paying over $200 per seat in the 100 level. And next year demand is probably going to be higher. He should be prepared to spend $300 per seat. If I am unable to make a game next year, I'll price my seats for only $275 because I am a nice guy and I want to cut you a break. You're welcome.

If you are routinely paying >$200 per seat for 100 level seats off StubHub for anything other than big games, you are

I was going to post some comments about how StubHub provides guidance to sellers so they know if the price they set is high or low compared to what comparable tickets are selling for. And since I have listed tickets, I get the benefit of that guidance.

But then I thought, GoRU2014 is right. He is paying over $200 per seat in the 100 level. And next year demand is probably going to be higher. He should be prepared to spend $300 per seat. If I am unable to make a game next year, I'll price my seats for only $275 because I am a nice guy and I want to cut you a break. You're welcome.
That’s kind of you.

Keep in mind that many of the folks in the 100s maintained those seats for many consecutive seasons of the leanest seasons including the Littlepage and Jordan years.
You're telling me. I've had them forever and by the way after the price per seat , the donor fee per seat and the points required they don't seem inexpensive to me. I'll leave them to my kids and grand children.

You're telling me. I've had them forever and by the way after the price per seat , the donor fee per seat and the points required they don't seem inexpensive to me. I'll leave them to my kids and grand children.

By the way most have least 2 seats or more. Who buys one season ticket?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT