ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Pricing

Stop being so emotional. You’re acting like I went out of my way to provoke you when in reality I couldn’t care less about your opinions on this
I'm being emotional? You're the one whining about the prices being too low. If the prices were set at StubHub prices before the year the tickets would've been worthless this year under your scam.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I'm being emotional? You're the one whining about the prices being too low. If the prices were set at StubHub prices before the year the tickets would've been worthless this year under your scam.
That doesn’t even make sense. You’re saying that if the face value was higher then the value would have become $0? And how is a different pricing strategy a scam? Let’s calm down and think this through.

That doesn’t even make sense. You’re saying that if the face value was higher then the value would have become $0? And how is a different pricing strategy a scam? Let’s calm down and think this through.
Stop the gaslighting my boy

My parking cost is $275. As far as I can tell there is no reference to the number of games.

Mine was $275 as well. It specifically said 18 games. I wasn't insinuating that there were different price levels. Just saying 18 games & stating the price. $15.22/game to park.

Mine was $275 as well. It specifically said 18 games. I wasn't insinuating that there were different price levels. Just saying 18 games & stating the price. $15.22/game to park.
Thanks. I didn’t think there were different price levels. I suppose I missed the reference within the receipt of 18 games. Good to know the per game cost.

I've been going to games since 2003. Always sat in the 100 level as that was my preferred viewing location, even if I had to pay more

Went solo 99 % of the time as none of my friends are Rutgers basketball fans

Back in the day, you could go on Rutgers website and buy 100 level tix, or you could call, and I also had an in at the ticket office who I'd get them from

Occasionally I'd buy from scalpers outside if all else failed

Started buying 1 from a long time board member a few years ago, he gave them up so I called the ticket office and they had me on record as buying from him, and from Rutgers, for a few years so they agreed to sell me his seat

Best bet if you're not going to do a Powers/big time donation if you want to get in the 100's is via a single seat. Buddy of mine did that as well, simply called up ticket office and they offered him one

Also, keep looking on the website. I was able to score a front row ticket in 200 level row A (again, a single) a few years back before I moved down

I bought it, then sold it on StubHub or traded with scalpers (plus a few dollars) for the 100 level

Reactions: new jersey1
Tickets are underpriced. The only reason it’s not obscenely underpriced is because of our obscene OOC home schedule.

Friend and I collectively Sat row 2,3,4 center court last season in conf/ p5 games more than season ticket cost per ticket. But I can say it’s still an unbelievable deal even at inflated secondary market costs.

See …thars the entire point

When you look at the total price of the season ticket that is currently charged …and add up what the price is on the secondary market , it’s NOT far off….

Sure …it sit in 105 Row B…and yes, there is 3-4 games a year where the tickets where are you will net $200 for the seat after fees (remember the fees….but those 6-7 cupcakes , the tickets only sell for $50-$75 before fees

If you bought a season ticket in the 100s…and sold every game , what you would get back is not far off from what you paid in total. Especially for the 100s on the top half of the section ….

So, for RU, the athletic dept is not leaving a lot of money on the table

Now…next couple of years if we get better and the secondary market shows the demand as well for the seats …especially outside the top 3-4 games …then there will (and should be) a major adjustment to match

Reactions: RUsojo
See …thars the entire point

When you look at the total price of the season ticket that is currently charged …and add up what the price is on the secondary market , it’s NOT far off….

Sure …it sit in 105 Row B…and yes, there is 3-4 games a year where the tickets where are you will net $200 for the seat after fees (remember the fees….but those 6-7 cupcakes , the tickets only sell for $50-$75 before fees

If you bought a season ticket in the 100s…and sold every game , what you would get back is not far off from what you paid in total. Especially for the 100s on the top half of the section ….

So, for RU, the athletic dept is not leaving a lot of money on the table

Now…next couple of years if we get better and the secondary market shows the demand as well for the seats …especially outside the top 3-4 games …then there will (and should be) a major adjustment to match
The folks in the 100’s have proven to be the most loyal and passionate fans over the years. Squeezing every last dime out of them all things being equal probably means less loyalty less NIL spend and more opposing fans down there for big games. The athletic department probably realizes the juice isn’t worth the squeeze even if there is any juice.

Tickets are underpriced. The only reason it’s not obscenely underpriced is because of our obscene OOC home schedule.

Friend and I collectively Sat row 2,3,4 center court last season in conf/ p5 games more than season ticket cost per ticket. But I can say it’s still an unbelievable deal even at inflated secondary market costs.

Just because you sat in these seats for a handful of the best games (and probably days of the week) and paid over face doesn’t mean the season tickets are underpriced.

1) Would you pay this same price for every single game in the season?
2) Would you pay this same price for every single game this season considering where you live/what you have going on in your life?
3) Would you pay this same price for every weeknight game at 8pm or late Sunday night game?

This is no different than season tickets for pro sports. Of course you can make a ton of money selling seats for a Giants/Eagles vs. the Cowboys….or a Knicks/Sixers vs. the Celtics.

That doesn’t mean an entire season of tickets is underpriced. Loyal fans who are all in for an entire seasons worth of tickets tend to get a slight discount per game vs. the average fan buying single tickets….and then the team/program doesn’t have to worry about selling individual tickets for every single game.

This is kind of the point of season tickets….it’s a win/win for both parties.

Also, a decent amount of these fans are big donors. It’s not just about the ticket/seat fees.

Um disagree.

There are plenty of NFL franchises where it’s impossible to get season tickets (anywhere).

I don’t think that means NFL tickets are underpriced.

It’s more about a supply/demand issue and less about pricing.
Preface this with: I agree with your points in general in the thread.

But in theory this does mean they are underpriced. The "correct" price, at least in a one-off, one transaction game, would be the one that perfectly matches the number of seats and number of people willing to pay the price.

However, as you say, there are other factors besides just strict revenue maximization. And, as you (and others) also point out, it's less clear what the long-term revenue maximization price is; it might be different than the price that maximizes the revenue for every specific season.

Preface this with: I agree with your points in general in the thread.

But in theory this does mean they are underpriced. The "correct" price, at least in a one-off, one transaction game, would be the one that perfectly matches the number of seats and number of people willing to pay the price.

However, as you say, there are other factors besides just strict revenue maximization. And, as you (and others) also point out, it's less clear what the long-term revenue maximization price is; it might be different than the price that maximizes the revenue for every specific season.

Agree with your first point…but that would also mean there are tons of season ticket plans across the country in college and pro sports that are probably “underpriced”.

Yes. I imagine that if you "correctly priced" a lot of this stuff it would also be a PR nightmare. See, for example, the concert ticket scandals.
Concerts are a good point. I mentioned earlier discounting to some extent based on the value of selling all tickets at once, donations, etc. but said I think the current discount is extreme. That’s probably more palatable in general than bringing up perfect market pricing (or at least I’d think it would be).

Just because you sat in these seats for a handful of the best games (and probably days of the week) and paid over face doesn’t mean the season tickets are underpriced.

1) Would you pay this same price for every single game in the season?
2) Would you pay this same price for every single game this season considering where you live/what you have going on in your life?
3) Would you pay this same price for every weeknight game at 8pm or late Sunday night game?

This is no different than season tickets for pro sports. Of course you can make a ton of money selling seats for a Giants/Eagles vs. the Cowboys….or a Knicks/Sixers vs. the Celtics.

That doesn’t mean an entire season of tickets is underpriced. Loyal fans who are all in for an entire seasons worth of tickets tend to get a slight discount per game vs. the average fan buying single tickets….and then the team/program doesn’t have to worry about selling individual tickets for every single game.

This is kind of the point of season tickets….it’s a win/win for both parties.

Also, a decent amount of these fans are big donors. It’s not just about the ticket/seat fees.
Weeknight games. None of the opponents were tournament teams.

Agree they aren’t way underpriced as I said. Just underpriced.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766

This gets into the semantics of what "correct" price means. I would argue that the "correct" price for a season ticket is the price that best achieves Rutgers' strategic objectives for season tickets. Those strategic objective probably include maximization of ticket sales revenue, maximization of donations, reduction of ticket-holder/donor acquisition costs, establishing fan loyalty, building home-court advantage, and so on.

It's a business decision how Rutgers wants to balance those objectives and set season ticket prices. But looking solely at Stub-Hub resale prices and setting the season ticket price at the sum of the individual game resale prices is probably not the best way to achieve Rutgers' objectives.

As an analogy: a bottle of Dasani water sells for $5 at the RAC. The same bottle sells for $2.50 at Quick Chek. The same bottle (warm) is $1.50 at the supermarket. and a 6-pack is $0.60 per bottle at the supermarket. A 12-pack is $0.50 per bottle, and a 24-pack is $0.30 per bottle. But no one seriously believes that Dasani should, or could, sell a 24-pack for $5 per bottle because that is what they get per bottle at the RAC.

So just to confirm, you think that people passing down their season tickets in their will is better for the fanbase, donors, and school than those tickets going to the person with the highest priority points at the time that’s interested in them?
I'm not dead yet so nothing has been passed on.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
This gets into the semantics of what "correct" price means. I would argue that the "correct" price for a season ticket is the price that best achieves Rutgers' strategic objectives for season tickets. Those strategic objective probably include maximization of ticket sales revenue, maximization of donations, reduction of ticket-holder/donor acquisition costs, establishing fan loyalty, building home-court advantage, and so on.

It's a business decision how Rutgers wants to balance those objectives and set season ticket prices. But looking solely at Stub-Hub resale prices and setting the season ticket price at the sum of the individual game resale prices is probably not the best way to achieve Rutgers' objectives.

As an analogy: a bottle of Dasani water sells for $5 at the RAC. The same bottle sells for $2.50 at Quick Chek. The same bottle (warm) is $1.50 at the supermarket. and a 6-pack is $0.60 per bottle at the supermarket. A 12-pack is $0.50 per bottle, and a 24-pack is $0.30 per bottle. But no one seriously believes that Dasani should, or could, sell a 24-pack for $5 per bottle because that is what they get per bottle at the RAC.

Another analogy is a car.

Someone who needs/wants a particular part or upgrade for a car (lightbulb, brakes, tinted windows, rims) might be willing to pay a certain price for one of these parts or upgrades.

If they go to buy an entire car (huge investment), they are likely going to receive a reduced price than the sum of its individual parts. The car maker/dealership is also hoping to strike a deal with the customer for the entire car so they can make the customer happy and hope they’re loyal and return for additional/more expensive cars in the future.

I’m thinking some of the folks who attend only a few games a year and willing to pay $200-$300 for a seat for some of the better games might balk at the idea of paying $5000-$6,000 for that 1 seat for the whole season (huge commitment) when they think about the amount of games/time of games, time investment for a full season, crappy opponents for over 1/3rd of the season and the fact that they may get flagged by the AD if they sell a majority of their games on stubhub.

You guys are making me reconsider trying for 2 court side seats. Just looked it up and I am ranked 389th in priority points and have not written a check yet for this fiscal year. We would be an extra 2 or 3 point favorite in the betting column if I am down there shit talking the opponents.

Also willing to bet the people demanding price increases don't have season tickets and did not sit through the ass beatings the people in the 100s did for many years. It's not always about squeezing every dollar out of your customers.

I would think the Athletic Dept will continue an incremental approach to ticket prices as I have not heard of a waiting list for season tickets. If there is a waiting list for season tickets in the future, there could be larger price increases. The size of the waitlist relative to total season seats could be a big driver of how to set ticket prices.

100s went up $250 this year. 200 level I think also up about 20%.
15-20% increase is very substantial in 1 season.
The people thinking there should be still further price increases haven’t held season tickets for very long or at all.

100s went up $250 this year. 200 level I think also up about 20%.
15-20% increase is very substantial in 1 season.
The people thinking there should be still further price increases haven’t held season tickets for very long or at all.
I expected an icrease, but I do think 250 is a bit steep, 125 would have been much more reasonable.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
New pricing (including required RSF donation)

Floor Loge (118)$2200 + $720 Hospitality Fee$300 increase
100 Center (103, 104, 113, 114)$1775$250 increase
100 Foul Line (102, 105, 115, 112)$1575$200 increase
100 Ends (101, 106, 111, 116)$1475$200 increase
200 Center (203-205, 213-215)$750$100 increase
200 Wings (201, 202, 206, 207, 211, 212, 216, 217)$675$75 increase
300 Level$400$75 increase

The spread between the cheapest 100 level seats and the most expensive 200 level seats is $725 this year, vs $625 last year.

For 18 home games, the 100 center seats are $99 per game, foul line seats are $88, and the end seats are $82. Those seats are not routinely selling for $200-$300 on StubHub. Some people might get that for the most high-demand games, but 100 level seats do not sell for that routinely. I have 100-level seats, and have sold a few games on StubHub because I couldn't attend. In the past 2 years, only twice was I able to sell those tickets for more than I paid, once for $115 per seat and once for $150 per seat. The 3 other times I sold my seats, I received less than I paid.
Avoid ticket seller fees and email me. Scarletnation at gmail dot com

I’m not so sure the ticket office is Leaving a ton of money on the table in the 100s

Average ticket price with donation is $90 -$100 (assuming 18 games )

I didn’t sell any of mine on stubhub (but I refuse to do so), but here is what I saw

What I saw
You have about 6 games you can get $50 a seat after fees …$300
You have about 6 games you can $100 a seat after fees ..$600
You have about 6 games you can get $200 a seat after fees …$1200

That’s $2100 (and I might be a little generous) for what costs $1575-$1775

They might still be a little cheap …but not way off .
Please add me to your buyer list. Scarletnation at gmail dot com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT