ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Pricing

Students had option to buy football and hoops combo ticket if they didn't want to wait in line. That doesn't excuse football for blocking off Senior Night which I thought was a bad look.

There will be seats open in 200 and 300 level for season tickets purchase if you so choose. I'm sure Rutgers will yet again announce how the amount of season tickets sold was more than the previous year.

I chose the words "to the extent possible" for a reason. I understand not everyone likes every decision, but every decision is made with the intention of harming the least amount of people possible.

Try to be less emotional next time you come to the keyboard.
I’m not being emotional at all. I’m simply pointing out how you made a bad faith claim that I’m a constant complainer because you don’t have the ability to form an argument using logic. It’s the same thing you’re doing now, and it’s done for the same reason you blindly support anything the school does, like retaining Chris Ash for 3 years past his expiration date. Some people aren’t capable of having their own opinions. No shame in that.

I already have season tickets, likely more seats than you do for the revenue sports. You have no idea how much I donate, and in the same thread where I said the schools should charge more based on the market you told me to donate more (see the flaw in your logic?). You also have no idea how much the students who were shut out will or would donate in the future (newsflash, not all students can afford to buy tickets even if they want to).

You can parade around as Mr. Rutgers all you want, just stop acting like there’s anything going on in the critical thinking department the next time you lob out labels to try and sidetrack things.

You can see your rank on your profile page and then click View My Points. The link in the header navigation doesn't work. Hard to know how much you could move up since it's a variable moving target, but every $100 is 1 point for annual giving and every $1000 is 1 point for lifetime giving. They do round to two decimal points so fractional giving still gets you points.
Thanks but having a hard time finding. On the app?

I just received an email from RU confirming my seat fee for basketball.
I understand donations to the RFund ate tax deductible and have always believed seat fees are not.
Yet, the email states...."there were no substantial goods or services exchanged for this contribution".
It also states that "Donors may obtain registration information from the Attorney General of the State of New Jersey by calling..."
Lastly, it states that the details of the contribution is outlined for your tax records.
So, are these seat donations tax deductible or not?

I’m pretty sure the NJ tax law changed a couple years ago making these seat fees no longer tax deductible.

Reactions: RUskoolie
It is. I think a lot of peeps agree with me.
So just to confirm, you think that people passing down their season tickets in their will is better for the fanbase, donors, and school than those tickets going to the person with the highest priority points at the time that’s interested in them?

So just to confirm, you think that people passing down their season tickets in their will is better for the fanbase, donors, and school than those tickets going to the person with the highest priority points at the time that’s interested in them?
I am definitely confirming that everything you posted in this thread is one bigass whine.

Tickets are underpriced. The only reason it’s not obscenely underpriced is because of our obscene OOC home schedule.

Friend and I collectively Sat row 2,3,4 center court last season in conf/ p5 games more than season ticket cost per ticket. But I can say it’s still an unbelievable deal even at inflated secondary market costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: GORU2014
And they were given tickets for each of those seasons in which they paid for tickets. That was the transaction, it wasn’t a license for them to override the free market in perpetuity.
Long term ticket holders with the priority points should always be able to get their usual seats providing they pay the amount the university wants

Long term ticket holders with the priority points should always be able to get their usual seats providing they pay the amount the university wants
I agree, my opinion is just that the university is charging below market pricing. Definitely wouldn’t want to see them take tickets away from the people who made donations and bought the seats assuming they were willing to pay the face prices.

Let us know how it goes.

I have no inside information, but I would be surprised if 1378 is high enough on the list to get into the 100 level. I think @RUBlackout will probably be borderline.

As I posted earlier in this thread, with only about 1400 seats for individual fans in the 100 section, and about 140 seats opening up each year, you have to have a lot of priority points to get in. Granted, some of the 1377 people ahead of you already have seats, and some are fans of football or other sports or otherwise not interested in basketball tickets. But there is still a lot of demand.

I wish you luck. They guy who has the seats next to mine got a new job on the west coast, so I expect he is not renewing his tickets. We need to replace him with a good, loud, knowledgeable fan. I'd be happy if you get those seats.
What section? I am trying to get across from the benches and in section 103 or 105 ideally

That is a good question
Can a long term ticket holder will their seats to their children retaining priority points in the process
If priority is not passed along with the seats the family probably loses the seats to a higher priority customer

Reactions: GORU2014
I agree, my opinion is just that the university is charging below market pricing. Definitely wouldn’t want to see them take tickets away from the people who made donations and bought the seats assuming they were willing to pay the face prices.

Quit worrying about what other people should be paying.. enough. The university sets the prices not you. They gonna give me a discount if we suck?

Reactions: rutgersron
That is a good question
Can a long term ticket holder will their seats to their children retaining priority points in the process
If priority is not passed along with the seats the family probably loses the seats to a higher priority customer
The Giants used to allow people to will their tickets and the waitlist for season tickets was massive (I think it was 60,000+ deep at one point). Then they opened the new stadium, implemented PSLs, and raised prices, and people dropped and they worked their way through the waitlist. I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar happened here post-renovations, although it would look a little different given the lack of that massive waitlist.

You just described the free market.

You’ll still be able to sell your seats and get surplus value. That’s exactly what the issue is.

Ideally, the school would be pricing these appropriately based on the past 4 or so seasons with fans, so that sale prices would be roughly equal to resale prices. That would mean the school is capturing most of the value.
The free market is overwhelmingly influenced by first-mover advantage.

Reactions: Scarlet83
This is another thing that the school needs to address. Long-time donors and new graduates are going to be shut out based on parents and grandparents going to games 40-50 years prior
I guess I shouldn't tell you that I sit in the 100s because after sitting in their seats for 35 years I took over my grandparents seats when they moved to Florida

I’m a season ticket holder for the past 5-6 years in the 200’s. I have 6 total seats with my family and live 60 miles away….here are my thoughts.

- Overall, tickets in the 200s seem fairly priced. Tickets in the 100s are probably slightly underpriced. There are a number of factors to consider:

1) Basketball is a long/cold season with a good amount of non-conference games against crap opponents
2) There are many weeknight night games, and a good amount of late weeknight games.
3) Couple point 1) and 2) and it’s not easy to make all or even a large majority of home games. Especially if you live more than 15 miles away or have a job/family where you can’t always drop everything and leave at 5pm. Even if you can, it’s a lot of games.

4) Rutgers shouldn’t be basing their season ticket prices solely off resale prices on Stubhub. There are plenty of colleges/pro sports where season tickets holders could reap some pretty big bucks if they resold every single game. This isn’t just a Rutgers thing.
5) The point of season ticket holders is to have a loyal and passionate fanbase who consistently shows up to support your team/program. This is more valuable than reaping the most dollars for every single seat/every game.
6) If Rutgers were to jack up the season ticket prices in the 100s and 200s you would see a lot more resale on the third market, and a lot more opposing fans in these seats. It’s very hard for opposing fans to get their hands on tickets the past couple of years because most folks aren’t dumping their tickets on stubhub when they can’t go to big games. It’s usually the opposing fans (Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin) who are willing to fork out $150-$300 a game to see their favorite front running team once a year. The average Rutgers fan isn’t flocking to pay this much.
7) I know first-hand the latter part of 6) to be true because I’ve sold a number of games on the ticket board and can’t tell you how cheap our fans are sometimes. I’ve had people try to nickel and dime me $5-$10 for tickets/parking when I was already selling at face value or below Stubhub prices.

7) The real way to increase revenue to is do it through the mandatory seat donations.
8) I would bet that a good amount of the folks sitting in the 100s donate a lot more $ to Rutgers and/or Athletics than what they are simply paying for their seats.

9) You don’t just jack up prices 100+ % out of nowhere because you’re selling out a building/stadium or have experienced some success over the past few years. This should come over time in steady increments. Some people seem to forget how easy it was to get your hands on tickets in the 100s not too long ago. If there’s a down season or two (or many - see football) the season ticket holder base could be decimated, especially with insane prices. Once you lose a customer it is very hard to get them back.

Finally, I have a feeling some of the folks complaining about the cheap prices are the ones left out. I don’t feel too bad for anyone who didn’t jump on board over the past few years. You had plenty of chances to get your hands on season tickets. Also - I bet some of these folks would be the first to jump off the bandwagon if we had a down season or would be the first to try and sell a majority of their games on stubhub for a profit.

Last edited:
If the previous threads about it being impossible to get season tickets in the 100s are correct, then I think that indicates that the 100s are underpriced.

Um disagree.

There are plenty of NFL franchises where it’s impossible to get season tickets (anywhere).

I don’t think that means NFL tickets are underpriced.

It’s more about a supply/demand issue and less about pricing.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I’m a season ticket holder for the past 5-6 years in the 200’s. I have 6 total seats with my family and live 60 miles away….here are my thoughts.

- Overall, tickets in the 200s seem fairly priced. Tickets in the 100s are probably slightly underpriced. There are a number of factors to consider:

1) Basketball is a long/cold season with a good of non-conference games against crap opponents
2) There are many weeknight night games, and a good amount of late games.
3) Couple point 1) and 2) and it’s not easy to make all or even a large majority of home games. Especially if you live more than 15 miles away or have a job/family where you can’t always drop everything and leave at 5pm.

4) Rutgers shouldn’t be basing their season ticket prices solely off resale prices on Stubhub. There are plenty of colleges/pro sports where season tickets holders could reap some pretty big bucks if they resold every single game. This isn’t just a Rutgers thing.
5) The point of season ticket holders is to have a loyal and passionate fanbase who consistently shows up to support your team/program. This is more valuable than reaping the most dollars for every single seat/every game.
6) If Rutgers were to jack up the season ticket prices in the 100s and 200s you would see a lot more resale on the third market, and a lot more opposing fans in these seats. It’s very hard for opposing fans to get their hands on tickets the past couple of years because most folks aren’t dumping their tickets on stubhub when they can’t go to big games. It’s usually the opposing fans (Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin) who are willing to fork out $150-$300 a game to see their favorite front running team once a year. The average Rutgers fan isn’t flocking to pay this much.
7) I know first-hand the latter part of 6) to be true because I’ve sold a number of games on the ticket board and can’t tell you how cheap our fans are sometimes. I’ve had people try to nickel and dime me $5-$10 for tickets/parking when I was already selling at face value or below Stubhub prices.

7) The real way to increase revenue to is do it through the mandatory seat donations.
8) I would bet that a good amount of the folks sitting in the 100s donate a lot more $ to Rutgers and/or Athletics than what they are simply paying for their seats.

9) You don’t just jack up prices 100+ % out of nowhere because you’re selling out a building/stadium or have experienced some success over the past few years. This should come over time in steady increments. Some people seem to forget how easy it was to get your hands on tickets in the 100s not too long ago. If there’s a down season or two (or many - see football) the season ticket holder base could be decimated, especially with insane prices.

Finally, I have a feeling some of the folks complaining about the cheap prices are the ones left out. I don’t feel too bad for anyone who didn’t jump on board over the past few years. You had plenty of chances to get your hands on season tickets. Also - I bet some of these folks would be the first to jump off the bandwagon if we had a down season or would be the first to try and sell a majority of their games on stubhub for a profit.
I appreciate the well thought out post. Obviously have some disagreement on how the pricing should ultimately look but I get where you’re coming from. You also said it in a more reserved way than others so this isn’t really trying to discredit what you said, but I’d push back on painting too broad of a brush on saying the people who would want to move down would jump off the bandwagon. In some cases it would happen but in others it can just be due to scarcity, timing, moves, or other life events that prohibited getting in soon enough. I think it’s the same issue as saying everyone in the 100 level sells their tickets or doesn’t stand up during games.

Holy. crap.

You know when we reduce everything down to the most economic aspects of a situation we effing ruin it.

Season ticket holders from the 100s that haven either supported the team for all the crap years, or were able to because they jumped in more recently and had the PP that they earned through $upport should be lauded.

If anyone here has $uper $ignifiant reason to believe they should be down there but aren’t yet, I’m sure they will be there soon with a little bit of patience. A fraction of the amount some of the stalwarts down there have shown over the years.

Personally would love to be down there, maybe will be 10-15 years down the road.
Who knows…in the meantime I’ll be rooting from above in the wings and hoping the prices set keep the balance of good reruns to the university while keeping real RU fans in the building.

I guess I shouldn't tell you that I sit in the 100s because after sitting in their seats for 35 years I took over my grandparents seats when they moved to Florida
I don’t blame you. I disagree with the policy by the school, but you didn’t do anything outside of their rules and it seems like you actually go to the games based on your posts

I appreciate the well thought out post. Obviously have some disagreement on how the pricing should ultimately look but I get where you’re coming from. You also said it in a more reserved way than others so this isn’t really trying to discredit what you said, but I’d push back on painting too broad of a brush on saying the people who would want to move down would jump off the bandwagon. In some cases it would happen but in others it can just be due to scarcity, timing, moves, or other life events that prohibited getting in soon enough. I think it’s the same issue as saying everyone in the 100 level sells their tickets or doesn’t stand up during games.

Agree I don’t mean to paint with a broad brush and that wasn’t directed towards you.

But I do know some folks who post about season tickets being too cheap only go to maybe a couple games a year. Just because they may be willing to shell out $300 to see one of the best home games of the year doesn’t mean the whole season should be $300 a game.

Now if you’re willing to pay that much for a full season then that’s a different story. But we have a lot of cheap fans and I bet most who are willing/can afford those prices for a full season aren’t posting here lol.

1) Basketball is a long/cold season with a good of non-conference games against crap opponents
2) There are many weeknight night games, and a good amount of late games.
3) Couple point 1) and 2) and it’s not easy to make all or even a large majority of home games. Especially if you live more than 15 miles away or have a job/family where you can’t always drop everything and leave at 5pm.

9) You don’t just jack up prices 100+ % out of nowhere because you’re selling out a building/stadium or have experienced some success over the past few years. This should come over time in steady increments. Some people seem to forget how easy it was to get your hands on tickets in the 100s not too long ago. If there’s a down season or two (or many - see football) the season ticket holder base could be decimated, especially with insane prices.

Well done.

Agree I don’t mean to paint with a broad brush and that wasn’t directed towards you.

But I do know some folks who post about season tickets being too cheap only go to maybe a couple games a year. Just because they may be willing to shell out $300 to see one of the best home games of the year doesn’t mean the whole season should be $300 a game.

Now if you’re willing to pay that much for a full season then that’s a different story. But we have a lot of cheap fans and I bet most who are willing/can afford those prices for a full season aren’t posting here lol.
Lol, fair

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT