ADVERTISEMENT

The way too early

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
The Big Ten may be tougher to predict than the national picture,but it appears to be at a level of last season or a drop lower,with Rutgers, if Cliff returns in the top 2 in returning points:
Michigan State
Purdue-assuming Edey back
Rutgers-incoming frosh of consequence
Maryland-potential to win it
Illinois
OSU-with no Brice
Iowa
Indiana
Wisconsin
Michigan-unless Hunter returns
Nebraska
Northwestern-revert to the mesne
Minnesota-far improved
Penn State-could be world class bad

Nationally-based on the consensus of the 5 current pundits:
UConn
Marquette
Duke
Houston
Creighton
Kansas
UCLA
Michigan State
Miami
UNC

Maryland will be the favorites if/when they get Hunter Dickinson. Ohio State and Michigan State will also get a lot of preseason hype.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
When Willard lands Dickinson and wins the big ten…

Feels like it’s only a matter of time with Willard if not next year sometime soon.

Rutgers will probably be picked towards the bottom of the league.

Reactions: biazza38

Feels like it’s only a matter of time with Willard if not next year sometime soon.

Rutgers will absolutely not be picked toward the bottom of the league. They will be an improved team compared to this season.

My way too early prediction is Wisconsin wins the league. They never have back to back sup par seasons.

Lost a lot of weird games last year. Return most of the team I believe

Turgeon won the big ten as well. Maryland fans will just run Willard out of town like they did with Turgeon.

Of course, there is still some roster movement to shake out, but based on what we know, I can't see why Rutgers would be picked near the bottom of the league. I expect a pretty strong year again, something along the lines of the trajectory you were on this year prior to the Mag injury. Perhaps a tick beneath that, but that's still a pretty good season.

It's also hard for me to imagine a Willard-coached team maintaining the type of intensity required to put itself in the best position to succeed. He has some good pieces, but they will slump and play themselves out of contention for anything serious. If he's got 3-seed material, bet that they will earn a 7 or 8 seed with little hope of advancing to the second weekend. It's his way.

Torvik currently has us projected #42, though our roster is missing Spencer so I assume a bunch of other teams are also missing players so, yeah.

This is fun, but as the title says way too early. Especially in todays college basketball.

We have no idea what our roster looks like. You take Cliff out of the mix we could be in trouble.
I'm not disagreeing, but losing Cliff "it opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities".

IF you call being 6-14 in B1G interesting.......

Take Myles and Cliff out of the lineup over the past 5-6 years and our not dancing streak is alive and well. We will quickly learn how important those 2 are/were when Cliff leaves/graduates.
The possibilities it opens up are getting other players and changing playing style.
I agree, if they try to play just like they played when they had Cliff, but without Cliff, that would be bad.

What is the expected impact of the incoming freshman?
Potential Big Ten Freshman POY level for Griffiths?
At least Big Ten All-Freshman Team.

A limited Mag (presumably) and the loss of Caleb (even just his defense - regardless his offense) it seems like a big jump to project a Top 2 Big Ten team.
Even with a returning Clif. Is the expectation that Clif progresses into a Big Ten POY caliber player?
We've gone down the "Clif will definitely shoot 3s next year" last off season.

I don't see Maryland as some elite team, they lost Hakim Hart to the portal and Donta Scott graduated. They had ONE B1G road win, at Minnesota.

I like their incoming freshman, but I like RUs even more than MDs.

Ohio State will bounce back and while PSU is penciled towards the bottom out of ignorance, they will likely land, all A-10 1st team guard and former Top 150 recruit, Ace Baldwin, who played for Mike Rhoades at VCU.....I think Baldwin is better than Jalen Pickett in all around talent.

The B1G will secure another 8 to 9 bids again, but let's get to Labor Day weekend and assess things. Means nothing in early April or even Memorial Day or 4th of July.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I don't see Maryland as some elite team, they lost Hakim Hart to the portal and Donta Scott graduated. They had ONE B1G road win, at Minnesota.
Donta Scott has another year of eligibility, but I think it's going to be a mutual decision for him to depart, one way or another...

The Athletic has us ranked 25 nationally. So maybe not... Seth Davis.

Reactions: shields
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT