ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN loves to talk about our content in the B1G

I don't have a problem with their sour grapes. We'd be ripping them if they landed in the A¢¢ and we were still locked into the American Athletic Conference.

UConn program is still D1AA quality in football. That's why they could never have been considered. Same reason Villanova could never have been considered. Their basketball program has been wonderful, but no one cares about basketball.

images

Originally posted by Block R:

Originally posted by jakeknight:
Who cares, were in the B10 they are not, and that's not changing.
This was my thought as well. They are so far in the rearview mirror why bother expending any energy looking back?
+1000

Why do people waste time or care about UConn's, Syracuse, B.C., .... fan bases?? Ancient and distant history!

Uconn would be like inviting Creighton or Villanova to the Big Ten ... Great basketball, but football is FCS level. The Big Ten is about big research universities, big on-campus football stadiums will smash mouth offenses and big-time tailgates. Uconn just doesn't fit the bill, sorry Puppies.

Yukon? Isn't that that Division II school somewhere in New England?

They have a Garbage Football Program with little hope of improving. They lost to SMU, making them the worst football program in the entire country last year. Tulane humilitated them.

Most of their Boneyard contributors rip everything Rutgers, as well as, a dozen or so other programs that they believe they're better than. They also run most opposing fans off their board with their superiority complex. Its a terrible place to be. Good luck to them. Hope they continue to rot.
This post was edited on 3/5 9:17 AM by RURM85

If you read that drivel your IQ will drop 20 points. They are so Fing stupid it's beyond comprehension.

If you read that drivel your IQ will drop 20 points. They are so Fing stupid it's beyond comprehension.

It's funny. Especially they're effort for arguing. I give them an F for rational thought...somewhat.

UConn is ahead of us in hoops with National championships. They have pulled ahead of us in soccer the past few years. They are in Hockey East with a varsity hockey program. Where they are behind is football. Football drives the bus. If Rutgers football never improved starting in 2005 it is very possible they would have earned the B10 invite ahead of us.

Fact is we are still near the bottom for overall B10 sports standings. In football we were 3-5 in conference. In hoops we are 2-15. In ladies hoops we show potential at 12-6 in conference.

Comparing us and MD in conference shows Maryland has adjusted better

Football: RU 3-5 MD 4-4
M Hoops: RU 2-15 MD 13-4
W Hoops: RU 12-6 MD 18-0
M Soccer: RU 1-6-1 MD 5-2-1
W Soccer: RU 8-4-1 MD 3-5-5
Gymnastics: RU 0-5 MD 2-3
Field Hockey: RU 2-6 MD 7-1
Wrestling: RU 2-7 MD 0-9

UConn is ahead of us in hoops with National championships. They have pulled ahead of us in soccer the past few years. They are in Hockey East with a varsity hockey program. Where they are behind is football. Football drives the bus. If Rutgers football never improved starting in 2005 it is very possible they would have earned the B10 invite ahead of us.

Fact is we are still near the bottom for overall B10 sports standings. In football we were 3-5 in conference. In hoops we are 2-15. In ladies hoops we show potential at 12-6 in conference.

Originally posted by DANTHEMAN:

People who are poor tend to envy those with money.
Especially when the rich guys basically inherited it and the poor guys has worked his ass of to get ahead, which I think is the analogy here.

UConn took a no talent state at a middling university and has developed a great athletic department, and even had a decent FB team. Meanwhile we have sat or all of our advantages and managed to squeeze a decent FB program out of it and not much more.

So yeah - I would be pissed if we were in the reverse situation.

As for MD - they didnt need to adjust. They were in a real BCS conference and had a real mid to high level BCS athletic department with national championship competitors in multiple sports over the past decade.

We have a mid-level BCS FB team, and the rest is MAC level.
This post was edited on 3/5 9:29 AM by derleider

They don't understand that its football.

That's why we are here, and they never will be.

Its a shame that what they say about the rest of our sports is true though.

Originally posted by knightfan7:

Stopped reading after the comment that RU was actually added as a bridge to UConn.
Me too. That was a few posts after someone said that Connecticut, like NJ, is part of the NYC media market while ignoring the obvious fact that RU is in the NYC market while UConn is not.

New%20York.gif

Yeah, Connecticut vs NJ in the NYC market. It's probably a lot closer than it looks on a map.

Originally posted by RUfinal4:

And we knew from the very beginning that most of our sports programs (excluding football, womens basketball, wrestling, maybe 1 or 2 others) were not B1G ready. Our Administration told us so prior to entering the B1G on July 1. This was clearly stated and should not come as a surprise. There's a lot of work to be done and in time, we'll rise to the level of competition.

Originally posted by IL Lusciato:

You think we are really here for our mid-level FB team and fan base. We are here for one reason - NYC metro has alot of people and enough of those people are RU.Big Ten fans that the Big Ten can make huge money off of us.

Of course we need a decent FB team to get that to work - but even then - our FB team wasnt that much better than UConn in the time leading up to our invitation (since then they have fallen off the map). If we had their FB program (results, fan base, etc) we would still likely have gotten the invite as long as we were still in this market.

And thats why they are pissed. Because they know that we are in basically by a stroke of historical luck - NY didn't found a major university in the NY metro that played BCS football and NJ did. Meanwhile they are stuck for basically the same reason - they founded their university out in the boonies instead of in Stamford.

If Rutgers football never improved starting in 2005 it is very possible they would have earned the B10 invite ahead of us.
No, they would have gotten some other school or not expanded at all.

Uconn was NEVER EVER in the mixed for the Big Ten.

Originally posted by derleider:

You think we are really here for our mid-level FB team and fan base. We are here for one reason - NYC metro has alot of people and enough of those people are RU.Big Ten fans that the Big Ten can make huge money off of us.

Of course we need a decent FB team to get that to work - but even then - our FB team wasnt that much better than UConn in the time leading up to our invitation (since then they have fallen off the map). If we had their FB program (results, fan base, etc) we would still likely have gotten the invite as long as we were still in this market.

And thats why they are pissed. Because they know that we are in basically by a stroke of historical luck - NY didn't found a major university in the NY metro that played BCS football and NJ did. Meanwhile they are stuck for basically the same reason - they founded their university out in the boonies instead of in Stamford.
this....its certainly not our commitment to big time athletics. RU is lucky because of location and UConn is not, that's the bottom line but a further look into the entire athletic program shows much more success and much more commitment. Does anyone doubt that UConn would be worrying about not investing in getting their programs up to Big 10 level infrastructure wise

Especially when the rich guys basically inherited it and the poor guys has worked his ass of to get ahead, which I think is the analogy here.

UConn took a no talent state at a middling university and has developed a great athletic department, and even had a decent FB team. Meanwhile we have sat or all of our advantages and managed to squeeze a decent FB program out of it and not much more.

As for MD - they didnt need to adjust. They were in a real BCS conference and had a real mid to high level BCS athletic department with national championship competitors in multiple sports over the past decade.

They had 2 good seasons in the last decade, 2007 and 2010. In 2010, they lucked into the BCS Bowl game (including a loss to us) and got blown out, capping the weakest team on record to represent the Big East. They have not made a bowl game in 5 years and have won a total of 5 games in the last 2 seasons. Last year was a year of futility losing to the likes of SMU, Tulane, Army and a few other powerhouses. I'll take Rutgers consistently playing in Bowl games (although most were minor Bowl games) anyday over UConn's track record. I'll state our 2006 and 2012 teams were better teams than UConn has ever fielded.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:48 AM by RURM85

You don't understand that it is not about football. It is about markets.

That's why we are here.

For those arguing sports and comparing ours to theirs outside of football, just remember that the Big Ten is NOT just about sports. Our academics, size and content were just as attractive to Big Ten presidents as our proximity to the NYC viewing market. That's something Yukon does not bring to the table.

Part truth, part sour grapes, part delusion and arguments stretched beyond belief. I can see their frustration because as successful as their athletics dept has been, no one really cares about UConn or else they'd be in the ACC, B1G or BigXII.

Joe P.

Originally posted by RURM85:

They had 2 good seasons in the last decade, 2007 and 2010. In 2010, they lucked into the BCS Bowl game (including a loss to us) and got blown out, capping the weakest team on record to represent the Big East. They have not made a bowl game in 5 years and have won a total of 5 games in the last 2 seasons. Last year was a year of futility losing to the likes of SMU, Tulane, Army and a few other powerhouses. I'll take Rutgers consistently playing in Bowl games (although most were minor Bowl games) anyday over UConn's track record. I'll state our 2006 and 2012 teams were better teams than UConn has ever fielded.

Go back and check - from 2004 when they joined the Big East to 2011 the last year before the Big Ten picked us, they were 25-30 in Big East play and we were 26-29.

Im sure that one game, and our string of wins over the Ball States of the world in bowl games is what got us in.

Why is it so hard for RU fans to admit the obvious.

Also - I think the pitt 2004 team was weaker than UConn when they got blown out by Utah in the Fiesta Bowl.

DJ - if UConn were in NJ and RU were in CT with the exactly same academic profile and history, they would be in, at least if they continued to make strides towards becoming an AAU school as they are. The Big Ten pretends its about something other than sports, and its universities are- but in reality they invited Nebraska knowing that they were losing AAU status, and its not like Nebraska is a great school either - certainly not better than UConn these days. Its PR to allow them to spend lots of money on sports without people complaining to much more or less.
This post was edited on 3/5 10:18 AM by derleider

...also what Spanky said. I think we bring much more to the table in terms of academics and research as well.

Joe P.

Der, disagree regarding 04 Pitt. I think they're 1-2 scores better than 2010 UConn. Heck, I think 04 UConn is better than 2010 UConn.

Joe P.

Go back and check - from 2004 when they joined the Big East to 2011 the last year before the Big Ten picked us, they were 25-30 in Big East play and we were 26-29.

Im sure that one game, and our string of wins over the Ball States of the world in bowl games is what got us in.

Also - I think the pitt 2004 team was weaker than UConn when they got blown out by Utah in the Fiesta Bowl.

DJ - if UConn were in NJ and RU were in CT with the exactly same academic profile and history, they would be in, at least if they continued to make strides towards becoming an AAU school as they are. The Big Ten pretends its about something other than sports, and its universities are- but in reality they invited Nebraska knowing that they were losing AAU status, and its not like Nebraska is a great school either - certainly not better than UConn these days. Its PR to allow them to spend lots of money on sports without people complaining to much more or less.

Why not include information on the last 3 years? We played in the same conference 2 out of those last 3 years
Why not include overall record as if UConn's OOC schedule was so much more difficult than us? You're cherry picking to tell your story. Simple fact is for the last 4 years, they've stunk and we've been decent. That information is lost by you to state there's no advantage. Like I stated, I'll take our Bowl Game streak over their 2 good seasons in a decade.

Uconn would be like inviting Creighton or Villanova to the Big Ten ... Great basketball, but football is FCS level. The Big Ten is about big research universities, big on-campus football stadiums will smash mouth offenses and big-time tailgates. Uconn just doesn't fit the bill, sorry Puppies.

It's also not only about what we've done, but what the potential is now that we're actually in the conference. The B1G doesn't get any money from UCONN playing in the fiesta bowl for the Big East. The bottom line is, we have more potential to be a perennial power with our large football fanbase, nice stadium and atmosphere, and alumni base. UConn just is not big time and with their stadium they just don't have the potential to be a big-time team for the Big Ten.

UConn, SMU,E Carolina, Temple....All perfect together. Aresco is trying to make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Sh t, but his job is impossible.

During that time, they never achieved the high ranks or wins over top ranked opponents that we did.

Did they even sell out their stadium once during that time?

Their recruiting was bad and Rockin Randy dumped them for another bball school.

The writing was always on the wall there. The fact that RU remained at least decent under Flood and that they were getting their doors blown off by Towson speaks volumes.

They talk about 'moving the needle', yet I seriously think our lowest-rated bowl game probably generated more local interest than their Fiesta Bowl appearance. Their FB support makes our bball support look awesome.

Joe P.

This a a fallacy that many UConn and Syracuse posters seem to propagate. Neither school ever had a chance of going to the B10 no matter how successful their football programs were. This is 100% about TV markets and new recruiting grounds. Connecticut and Syracuse provide neither. Neither was an AAU member either which is huge also. UConn had a possibility of being invited to become a member of the AAU, but they can't overcome the 2 biggest liabilities.

I'm am still amazed that anyone still tries to pass this BS off as fact being that it has been so widely reported what the B10 was looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT