ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN loves to talk about our content in the B1G

Hey derleider, here's a new toy for you:

flag_large1.jpg

Conference membership is all about GEOGRAPHY...relative location...and both my schools enjoy GREAT geography...Uconn's geography BLOWS...and not in a good way! ...darn!

Originally posted by chase07470:
Still hard to believe that in the old, hyper competitive Big East where we slugged it out with WVU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, UCONN, South Florida...that we ended up with the prized position.

Uconn should give up football. The weak HS football scene in the state will never be anywhere near good enough for a program to thrive there.
There is no way, after the financial commitment the state made, that UConn can give up football, or even pretentions of "big time" football, but, IMHO, they have no choice in the long term. It wouldn't be the first waste of money in the world, and at least you might avoid wasting more going forward. It's not like the American's TV deal is so great you're giving up THAT much.

UConn and UMass should beg, plead and cajole the MAC to change their rules and allow them to be football-only (the reason UMass is leaving the MAC in the first place is that rule change) and take their other sports to the Big East.

If the MAC won't do it -- and I don't think they would -- they should seriously drop down to FCS and take football to the Colonial and their other sports to the Big East. Maine and New Hampshire are on an island in the Colonial now that other New England schools have either moved up or down, and UConn and UMass would provide not only a bridge but instant rivalries. Swallow a little pride and do the logical thing, boys. New England barely can support one FBS team.

Originally posted by BoroKnight:

Originally posted by RURM85:

Originally posted by derleider:

Originally posted by derleider:

Originally posted by DANTHEMAN:

People who are poor tend to envy those with money.
Especially when the rich guys basically inherited it and the poor guys has worked his ass of to get ahead, which I think is the analogy here.

UConn took a no talent state at a middling university and has developed a great athletic department, and even had a decent FB team. Meanwhile we have sat or all of our advantages and managed to squeeze a decent FB program out of it and not much more.

So yeah - I would be pissed if we were in the reverse situation.

As for MD - they didnt need to adjust. They were in a real BCS conference and had a real mid to high level BCS athletic department with national championship competitors in multiple sports over the past decade.

We have a mid-level BCS FB team, and the rest is MAC level.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:29 AM by derleider
They had 2 good seasons in the last decade, 2007 and 2010. In 2010, they lucked into the BCS Bowl game (including a loss to us) and got blown out, capping the weakest team on record to represent the Big East. They have not made a bowl game in 5 years and have won a total of 5 games in the last 2 seasons. Last year was a year of futility losing to the likes of SMU, Tulane, Army and a few other powerhouses. I'll take Rutgers consistently playing in Bowl games (although most were minor Bowl games) anyday over UConn's track record. I'll state our 2006 and 2012 teams were better teams than UConn has ever fielded.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:48 AM by RURM85
Go back and check - from 2004 when they joined the Big East to 2011 the last year before the Big Ten picked us, they were 25-30 in Big East play and we were 26-29.

Im sure that one game, and our string of wins over the Ball States of the world in bowl games is what got us in.

Why is it so hard for RU fans to admit the obvious.

Also - I think the pitt 2004 team was weaker than UConn when they got blown out by Utah in the Fiesta Bowl.

DJ - if UConn were in NJ and RU were in CT with the exactly same academic profile and history, they would be in, at least if they continued to make strides towards becoming an AAU school as they are. The Big Ten pretends its about something other than sports, and its universities are- but in reality they invited Nebraska knowing that they were losing AAU status, and its not like Nebraska is a great school either - certainly not better than UConn these days. Its PR to allow them to spend lots of money on sports without people complaining to much more or less.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:18 AM by derleider
Why not include information on the last 3 years? We played in the same conference 2 out of those last 3 years
Why not include overall record as if UConn's OOC schedule was so much more difficult than us? You're cherry picking to tell your story. Simple fact is for the last 4 years, they've stunk and we've been decent. That information is lost by you to state there's no advantage. Like I stated, I'll take our Bowl Game streak over their 2 good seasons in a decade.
Because we were already invited, that's why. The last two years in the desert and the first Big Ten year are not worthy of comparison, because once we were in -- which came during the 2012 season, if I'm remembering correctly, meaning that year and the two after it don't matter for purposes of this conversation -- you can stop comparing.

Irrelevant information.

Bottom line is this: We are in because of where we are located and what kind of overall university we have. We fit the profile better and bring more eyeballs to the TV sets. NOTHING we did in football got us a Big Ten invitation. Nothing.

Of course our overall football has been better, but we didn't win or share a conference title until after they did. You can't take that away from them, just as they can't argue their program has been better for the past decade, because it hasn't been.

Look, if the roles were reversed, we would feel the exact same way. But saying we've done ANYTHING to merit our inclusion in the Big Ten is preposterous. Delany can say all the right things, and Rutgers people can say all the right things, but the exact same program in Storrs, Conn. would not have gotten in, while their program in New Brunswick would have, assuming the universities attached to them aren't also switched. (And that's no knock on UConn, just a recognition that Rutgers is in a better position in that way, too.)

Where we are on solid ground ripping some of those clowns is on some of the crap they spew when they whine about the situation, because they often are way off base. If they want to analyze the program in a vaccuum, they can sometimes be right, but comparing it to theirs? Let's face it, on the football field alone, neither one had merited an invite to a better conference, but that doesn't change the fact ours is in better shape than theirs.

But, not to piggyback on others, we're in because of where we are (first) and what our school is (second). If you want to throw in potential for football, fine, but we've been talking potential in football since the move to "bigger time" and we don't have that much to show for it aside from a fistful of minor bowls and a really, really bad conference record over the years.

But, to paraphrase something Geno used to say when they had Taurasi, "We're in the Big Ten, and you're not." The "nyah nyah nyah nyah" is merely implied.
Since you're addressing my post, I never said we were in the B1G because of our football program. if you believe I stated this, you have reading comprehension issues. We both agree our football program is better than UConn's program. I'm comparing our program with UConn over the past decade which includes 2012 (when in fact we played in the same conference and news of the B1G invite was not complete until the last game of the season), 2013 (we continued to play in the same conference) and 2014 (we played a much harder schedule than UConn due to conference change). You want to cherry pick years for making a comparison, go ahead.

Originally posted by Akron Buck:

Are you really saying UConn is on the same level as Notre dame in any respect?

Yes an exception would be made for the domers, but only them.
Remarks from Nebraska's chancellor says as much, if they had not been a AAU member since 1909 they most likely do not join the B1G.

Yes TV market, stadium size, and all those other things are important, but this is not the ACC where academics mean nothing at all and AAU membership is important to those at the top of the B1G.

https://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status

"All the Big Ten schools are AAU members. I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the organization." - Harvey Perlman
Agree with this. THey would let the AAU thing slide with ND but UConn is SOL.

UConn is trying very hard to look like a Big Ten university. If the stay on course they will achieve that within 5-10 years. So, the question is, with the new TV contract coming, will they be "good enough" in 2 years to gain an invite.

I believe that the TV contract is relevant because it is the one time in the foreseeable future that a new school (or 2) could be brought into the fold without reducing the payout from current levels. Of course, the TV partners might also like to know what they're bidding on, so that could also be a factor.

Location also favors UConn. They are a bridge into New England, an area that is probably home to the highest concentration of top-tier research institutions. Not that any are likely expansion candidates, but I believe Big Ten academia would be open to talking points like that -- something other than athletics -- that UConn would bring to the table. Not to mention that B1G's fascination with NYC might go beyond Rutgers. It is possible that a small bump in carriages rates in NYC(something that is probably easily attainable) -- plus a dominance in their home state -- might make UConn look very attractive to Delany.

So I'm looking at UConn the same way I looked at Rutgers a while back... It makes sense if it works well as part of a master plan; one that both the presents/chancellors and Delany can buy into.

On the flip side I used to say that the next expansion had to include a "football power". I still believe in that concept, but I would no longer be surprised if the next two additions might be UConn and... a well above average football school like Virginia Tech (which naturally opens up another discussion about the GoR). Like UConn, I believe VT will attain AAU status, perhaps even earlier than UConn. So how do we work around Delany's statement that the AAU is a requirement? You got me there.
This post was edited on 3/6 7:53 PM by Sea Blue

http://academicvision.uconn.edu/

Originally posted by mal359:
Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:
Originally posted by mal359:

Is Nebraska an AAU member?
They were upon entry.
So all UConn has to do is join the AAU and then colossally fudge up and get kicked out? As long as it gets them in the "academic" conference?

As der pointed out, are we really suggersting that the B1G wouldn't take the non-AAU Notre Dame?

Again I ask: Is Nebraska an AAU member?
"JOIN" the AAU?

They would have to apply or be invited.. you do not simply "join" this club. You EARN membership. And as Nebraska learned, you must EARN membership over a long period of time by achieving something in academics and research.

Based on what happened today with the sanctions against Syracuse the UCONN fans should look north. There are reasons why RU is in the BIG and they are not but with the revelations of all the cheating that went on at the Cuse they have to ask why they aren't in the ACC and Cuse is.

I believe uconn will be in the nectar round of discussions for entrance into the BT. That will all depend upon if they improve their football brand, something I'm not optimistic about. They'll have to really recruit top talent OOS to go there, another thing I'm not too optimistic about.

What if Delaney starts to target Texas, or Oklahoma, to keep Nebraska happy? That would be a consideration. UCONN may not be in it until they piggy back into the conference like we did.

Originally posted by Sea Blue:

UConn is trying very hard to look like a Big Ten university. If the stay on course they will achieve that within 5-10 years. So, the question is, with the new TV contract coming, will they be "good enough" in 2 years to gain an invite.

I believe that the TV contract is relevant because it is the one time in the foreseeable future that a new school (or 2) could be brought into the fold without reducing the payout from current levels. Of course, the TV partners might also like to know what they're bidding on, so that could also be a factor.

Location also favors UConn. They are a bridge into New England, an area that is probably home to the highest concentration of top-tier research institutions. Not that any are likely expansion candidates, but I believe Big Ten academia would be open to talking points like that -- something other than athletics -- that UConn would bring to the table. Not to mention that B1G's fascination with NYC might go beyond Rutgers. It is possible that a small bump in carriages rates in NYC(something that is probably easily attainable) -- plus a dominance in their home state -- might make UConn look very attractive to Delany.

So I'm looking at UConn the same way I looked at Rutgers a while back... It makes sense if it works well as part of a master plan; one that both the presents/chancellors and Delany can buy into.

On the flip side I used to say that the next expansion had to include a "football power". I still believe in that concept, but I would no longer be surprised if the next two additions might be UConn and... a well above average football school like Virginia Tech (which naturally opens up another discussion about the GoR). Like UConn, I believe VT will attain AAU status, perhaps even earlier than UConn. So how do we work around Delany's statement that the AAU is a requirement? You got me there.
This post was edited on 3/6 7:53 PM by Sea Blue
I'm not going to comment on your thoughts about UConn. My opinion about UConn is biased. I hate their miserable fan base and have no sympathy for their current plight, thus, not one to judge whether or not they make sense for the B1G.

The rest of what you write makes sense. I think VT would be an excellent candidate for the B1G and bolster the Virginia/DC/Maryland front. VT is a large state university, is growing in research and appears to be a perfect fit even though they are not currently AAU status. I believe they're a better fit than UNC and Virginia simply because they're not steeped in the southern culture thing and their location makes sense. I believe the fanbases of UNC (the very heart and soul of the ACC) and Virginia have absolutely zero interest in moving from the ACC to the B1G.

As you've stated, now would be a great time for the B1G to expand by 2 schools due to the TV contract negotiations and the upcoming deal. However, where we differ is I'm not convinced the B1G will attempt to break the GORs established by the ACC or the Big 12, so the opportunity to pair 2 major schools to join the B1G is unrealistic without challenging the GORs. I see a challenge to the GORs causing a protracted legal battle that the B1G will chose not to undertake, especially because of the ACC relationship with ESPN and the small size of the Big 12. I believe Delany's proclamation that the AAU status is a requirement is a message to the B1G schools and its fanbases that there's not a pairing of 2 schools available that the B1G will go after based on not wanting to start a fight over the GORs.

Of course all opinion since we're talking about the future without any information. What will be interesting is when the B1G's new TV deal separates the SEC and the B1G's larger revenue stream compared to the other 3 P5 conferences lesser revenue streams, and how that affects schools from the ACC, Big 12 and Pac12, who are fighting for bigger pay days.

I'm not going to comment on your thoughts about UConn. My opinion about UConn is biased. I hate their miserable fan base and have no sympathy for their current plight, thus, not one to judge whether or not they make sense for the B1G.

2 schools that don't like each other. Hmm... That'll do.

roll.r191677.gif
Uconn as a "bridge" to New England! LOL!!! No one in NE gives a shit about uconn...its adorably naive to think otherwise!

2 schools that don't like each other. Hmm... That'll do.
I would have the same comments for a number of other former Big East schools including BC, Syracuse, Pitt, many of the basketball schools, etc. Living in the Big East represented living in the crack house where schools and fan-bases wanted to tear the place down. I feel differently about most of the B1G schools and the conference. With some exceptions, there's more respect and whole lot more tradition.

No one in the country gives a shit about Uconn. And even if they did they wouldn't add the value it would take for them to pay for themselves. The football team will never be able to attract the talent needed to thrive.

Uconn is an albatross around the neck of the AAC and Seablue wants them in the B1G. Must be a closet Uconn fan.

Originally posted by Virginiarufan:
No one in the country gives a shit about Uconn. And even if they did they wouldn't add the value it would take for them to pay for themselves. The football team will never be able to attract the talent needed to thrive.

Uconn is an albatross around the neck of the AAC and Seablue wants them in the B1G. Must be a closet Uconn fan.
I was here telling you guys that you had a shot a few years ago. I'm seeing/saying the same thing with UConn now.

I bought in to the negativity early on. In fact, I thought that UConn's dismal GSR in basketball was enough to keep them off the table (congrats to Rutgers BTW on the overall graduation rates). But then again, everyone seems to have something going on now days and UConn seems to be working on their issues.

Perhaps the New England push isn't all the important to the Big Ten. My angle on that is that it is the academic side of the house that will want it. But if there is an interest there, and if UConn can indeed bring in more $$ from NYC, and if they continue to prove that they are serious about improving their academic/research standing, I would not be surprised to see them in the conference by the time the Big Ten tourney plays at MSG.
This post was edited on 3/7 8:28 AM by Sea Blue

UConn is trying very hard to look like a Big Ten university.
Then in the parallel universe tell them not to build a horrendously awful ugly stadium on an abandoned airport 25 miles from campus.

I was here telling you guys that you had a shot a few years ago. I'm seeing/saying the same thing with UConn now.

I bought in to the negativity early on. In fact, I thought that UConn's dismal GSR in basketball was enough to keep them off the table (congrats to Rutgers BTW on the overall graduation rates). But then again, everyone seems to have something going on now days and UConn seems to be working on their issues.

Perhaps the New England push isn't all the important to the Big Ten. My angle on that is that it is the academic side of the house that will want it. But if there is an interest there, and if UConn can indeed bring in more $$ from NYC, and if they continue to prove that they are serious about improving their academic/research standing, I would not be surprised to see them in the conference by the time the Big Ten tourney plays at MSG.
This post was edited on 3/7 8:28 AM by Sea Blue
UConn has a shot. But the B10 isn't in a hurry to expand at this point, and can easily wait until after the next TV negotiations.

I think Delaney's desire is to get UVA and UNC. But that is only possible if there is enough of a disruption in the ACC to cause UNC to jump ship. But Delaney has time on his hands and is willing to wait for that possibility. Failing UNC, the B10 might be interested in UVA and UConn. I think VTech and UConn is a longer-shot since VTech is neither a flagship state university nor an AAU school.

I don't see Uconn adding any market share in the NY market. For all the reasons Rutgers does, Uconn doesn't.

The Hartford market is not the NYC market any more than say, the Albany market is.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Can we please stop it with Uconn, seriously it's over, fvck them. This is just what they want, in their fantasy world they still think they are rivals with us. They don't understand that we have moved on and have zero plans to put them on the schedule.

Look, I understand that the only reason this thread is even as long as it is, is due to it being the off season and we are all bored.

But, it is cruel to mislead them.. so I will be honest with their fan-base...

sorry Uconn, but you don't matter anymore and we have and always will look at you as that FCS team with a shitty off campus stadium.

Heck, even the Big East doesn't want you anymore.

It's over... now can we please just move on.

Please point out where I suggested that UConn and Notre Dame were on the same level. Thanks.

Why expand at all unless you can add to the quality of the conference and to its coffers. Uconn just doesn't have the nautral resources to feed itself never mind paying it's way in any conference. Their women's field hockey, bball and men's bball championships get them no where. They play football 25 miles away from campus in a MAC sized stadium that has zero college feel to it.

Why does the Big Ten have to expand at all??? They now have a strong foothold in the northeast with RU, PSU, and MD to cover NYC to Metro DC. The next contract will net each member north of $40M. The way I see it any new member would have to bring that much to the table and there's no way Uconn could ever bring a quarter of that. The conference is fine just the way it is with 14 teams. Adding more would mean playing rivals that much less. I just don't see it ever happening unless Notre Dame and another big quality school wants in.

I admit that I go over to the Boneyard conference expansion board every once in a while. I enjoy reading their message threads and thinking "this could be us."

As far as "bringing NYC," I live in the area and can tell you that they have NOBODY thinks about UConn. In addition to seeing lots of "R's" I often see fans with Syracuse, Georgetown, and Michigan apparel, as well as a host of other colleges, but I can't recall ever seeing someone wearing UConn stuff.

I could see UConn getting a shot at the ACC if Notre Dame decides to join the B1G (let's face it, that's where the Irish belong, especially with Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State giving them access to scheduling games in the east). They would have a nine game B1G schedule, then add USC, Navy and a PAC or Big 12 team. That would give them a nice national schedule with a midwestern base.

UConn would be a great rival to BC, not to us. Initially, they did not believe that we were "worthy" to be their rival, now they are dying to to be paired up with us. It's funny how things worked out.

-Scarlet Jerry

Why expand at all unless you can add to the quality of the conference and to its coffers. Uconn just doesn't have the nautral resources to feed itself never mind paying it's way in any conference. Their women's field hockey, bball and men's bball championships get them no where. They play football 25 miles away from campus in a MAC sized stadium that has zero college feel to it.

Why does the Big Ten have to expand at all??? They now have a strong foothold in the northeast with RU, PSU, and MD to cover NYC to Metro DC. The next contract will net each member north of $40M. The way I see it any new member would have to bring that much to the table and there's no way Uconn could ever bring a quarter of that. The conference is fine just the way it is with 14 teams. Adding more would mean playing rivals that much less. I just don't see it ever happening unless Notre Dame and another big quality school wants in.
Good points, and no doubt the "why expand" question is something that Delany has to answer. For me it gets back to Delany saying that it's all about the East (at the time he said it anyway). I think he's very open to bringing the East close to an equal representation with the traditional Midwestern footprint. This, as opposed to the Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc., options that get talked about often.

So, if he's still looking to the East, if there were a more attractive all-around partner in New York State or New England (Buffalo, Cornell, Boston C/U, etc.), UConn could easily fall short on the research metrics for starters. But for various reasons I don't think we're going to see any of the aforementioned schools get an invite, so suddenly UConn starts to look -- if nothing else -- intriguing.

At this point I find UConn's silence on the expansion front a huge curiosity. They're doing what they should be doing if they want in invite, and most importantly, they're keeping quiet about it. So if expansion is part of the plan, little ol' no-strings-attached UConn might know something that we don't.

Even to their own fans, Uconn football is like a fart in the elevator. It's there, but no one wants to own up to it...

Good points, and no doubt the "why expand" question is something that Delany has to answer. For me it gets back to Delany saying that it's all about the East (at the time he said it anyway). I think he's very open to bringing the East close to an equal representation with the traditional Midwestern footprint. This, as opposed to the Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc., options that get talked about often.

So, if he's still looking to the East, if there were a more attractive all-around partner in New York State or New England (Buffalo, Cornell, Boston C/U, etc.), UConn could easily fall short on the research metrics for starters. But for various reasons I don't think we're going to see any of the aforementioned schools get an invite, so suddenly UConn starts to look -- if nothing else -- intriguing.

At this point I find UConn's silence on the expansion front a huge curiosity. They're doing what they should be doing if they want in invite, and most importantly, they're keeping quiet about it. So if expansion is part of the plan, little ol' no-strings-attached UConn might know something that we don't.
UCONN's silence on the expansion front is just that...silence! They don't know whether they're being invited to the B1G, ACC or MAC. They're as much in the dark about any news of where they're going. As good of a school as they are academically, I find it perplexing that they have not become an AAU member given the resources that they're surrounded by, or how in ONE publication (USNWR) their rating as a top 20 public institution doesn't coincide consistently with other publications that configure otherwise, in terms of their criterias used for said rankings. They're all going by on tweets and public media records.

The same can be said of us. When the news came out, many of us had no inkling of when and where we were going.

Had any conference wanted UCONN, and that includes the ACC, the consensus would've been that they would've gotten the nod before ULouisville, which academically isn't even on par with them hands down. Yet the question remains...what happened that they were shunned in the last round of expansions? Why were they not picked up, given their improvements in football, and their improvements with their football team, and their dominance in basketball? They shouldve been chosen just for those reasons, yet, they weren't even a breath of consideration. Why? The only thing I can say it that, only they know why.

UConn basketball has been a feather in the Huskies' cap for quite a while; no question about it, and deservedly so. -But their football program is definitely trending downward, and from the look of things presently it doesn't seem like anything in the near future is going to change that trajectory. -And as has been said many times on this board and on others, football drives the bus.

So, couple the football angle with the fact that, other than hoops, UConn may not be seen as bringing a great deal additional, sports-wise, to the table, and the silence alluded to surrounding UConn possibly joining a new league could simply be because no P5 conference really has an interest in adding them. (Though I tend to agree with those who've said that as a result of the round ball factor, the ACC might be their best hope.)

Notre Dame will never join the B1G as long as it can find a conference like the ACC that will whore itself out and let the Irish go independent in football in order to be associated with the Notre Dame brand.

Let's face it, we were invited into the Big Ten because we are a large land grant university that is part of the AAU,with a good academic reputation, a legitimate Power Five football program that happens to be in the Largest Media Market in the World.[/B]
Nothing we have done as an athletic department other than football can even be compared to UConn. We put all our eggs in one basket and it worked. The unfortunate part is the fact that we are not capitalizing on that bit of fortune now. Our athletic aspirations have always lacked the leadership necessary to establish a goal. support it with a plan, and commit the required resources to ensure the success of that plan. Although we have set goals for the athletic department over the last 35 years, we have never supported them with a plan or commitment. Leadership would ideally start with The President and BOG but unfortunately for us we have never had visionary genius combined with political bravery and acumen at the same time.
If it were not for the pure fortune of having Schiano and Mulcahy here at the same time, we would never have been in this position now. Barchi is killing this athletic program as we speak. We have been given an opportunity and he will not allow the department to do the necessary work to ensure its overall success. Julie can get it done but not without the help of The President. I believe that a reasonable amount of money could do wonders to improve the overall physical appearance of the athletic complex. Once that is established, a reasonable commitment to improving the infrastructure of the major programs
(Football and Basketball). Football needs a modern indoor facility, The Rac needs a facelift outside and improvement to player weight rooms, locker rooms and lounges. We do not need a separate practice facility for basketball. The leadership also has to demand excellence for every team. If a coach is not doing his or her job, eat the contract and let them go. We need to think Big time, just like UConn has for the last 30 years. They are light years ahead of us in everything except football. That did not come by accident.

If UConn thought Big time for the past 30 years, they would not be stuck in a non P5 conference. Their box of a stadium on an abandoned airfield looks like and has the feel of a suped-up high school stadium. They're not AAU and have aways to go. When Louisville was actively courting the ACC, their Admin. was no where to be found. Rutgers developed a relationship with the B1G for many years and eventually it paid of. Not so much for UConn.

Wake me up when UConn makes it into a P5 conference. Otherwise, it's nonsense to read that they've thought Big time for 30 years and we have not.

I read through a few of the UConn fans posts.....most of their fans think we are a disaster for the big 10, because they are primarily basketball fans, and are looking mostly at our bb program

I believe that the Big 10 was looking at our addition mostly to see what we could do for them in football, for getting ratings on tv in the NYC/NJ/parts of Pa market

and I believe we did deliver pretty well there.....the future of RU in the NYC market for fb is very bright

deep in their hearts they are hoping that the big 10 thinks they would have to add UConn because RU is not getting it done....they bounce this idea back and forth amongst themselves till they convince themselves it is so

IF we were in their position, we might be doing the same.....but it is a false hope for UConn fans, and they would be
better off working the idea that the ACC might come a calling.

It's hard to argue their success and their argument, but here's where it begins to fall apart. Their market, although is 30th, is actually very small. They rely heavily on MBB and WBB. Nobody really watches WBB, it really doesn't draw ratings. Football drives the bus, of which, they really don't have the capability to gain a foothold into recruiting, or top talent. Is their program expandable? Is the school expandable? How many other things do or would they actually add that's Actually off value to the big ten?

Originally posted by ruthetiger:
It's hard to argue their success and their argument, but here's where it begins to fall apart. Their market, although is 30th, is actually very small. They rely heavily on MBB and WBB. Nobody really watches WBB, it really doesn't draw ratings. Football drives the bus, of which, they really don't have the capability to gain a foothold into recruiting, or top talent. Is their program expandable? Is the school expandable? How many other things do or would they actually add that's Actually off value to the big ten?
you can see that most of their threads are since our poor basketball play....they want to argue that because of our basketball struggles, the big 10 needs more help in carrying the NYC area

and that is just not true....but they can always hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT