ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Selection Show Tonight

Bruce Beck just gave the ladies a shout out on his sports report, thanks Bruce.
Good to hear.
Interesting that the SEC and the ACC networks are giving special follow-up coverage devoted to the women's tournament after the selection show. No word about the B1G doing that in the ESPN announcement but maybe that reflects the antipathy since the women's tournament is an ESPN contract? ESPNU is the nationwide follow-up.

Go RU!

6th seed. If win then..
Winner of Arizona V. Stoney Brook.
NC st. #1 seed in region.
3 B1G teams in the same bracket?

TAWRU, not to be nosey, but what part of the country are you living in now?
After 32 years of living and working in Middlesex County NJ and being a season ticket holder for RU women's basketball, I retired to California. Hence my time zone confusion and knowledge about Cal Baptist, UCSB, UCDavis, etc.
By the way, I could hear the anguish all of the way from Arizona (Knight Time Fan) on the bracket placement of RU, with Arizona as potential second round opponent for RU.
BYU has its own channel out here and I have seen the BYU team play a couple of times. They look better than UCSB.

As a #6 seed, the NCAA committee placed RU in the #21-#24 range, which seems fair. Had we beat Iowa in the B10 tournament, I bet we'd have their #5 seed, but not sure I'd prefer their bracket right now (Central Michigan in round 1, likely Kentucky in Round 2).

BYU was one of the last four in, according to the selection committee.

Reactions: RU MAN
After 32 years of living and working in Middlesex County NJ and being a season ticket holder for RU women's basketball, I retired to California. Hence my time zone confusion and knowledge about Cal Baptist, UCSB, UCDavis, etc.
By the way, I could hear the anguish all of the way from Arizona (Knight Time Fan) on the bracket placement of RU, with Arizona as potential second round opponent for RU.
BYU has its own channel out here and I have seen the BYU team play a couple of times. They look better than UCSB.
Yeah, I'm a bit conflicted if it comes to it. Can't they both win?

BYU is not perhaps an easy match-up, but it should certainly be do-able.

Years ago got the BYU channel - not on DirecTV.

BYU's channel is an ESPN deal that was struck after BYU left the Mountain West to go it alone as a football independent. I don't know that they could have survived independence without the ESPN TV money since they've had to cobble together their schedules each year. They dropped "down" into the WCC for basketball. The WCC is not a bad conference - it has Gonzaga after all - and St. Mary's has had some good men's teams lately. But it aligns the first or second largest private university in the US with a bunch of (mostly) small Catholic colleges that have rather different missions than BYU.

Because of its refusal to play on Sundays, BYU wasn't able to join the Big 12 and institutionally, as a rather right-wing university, it isn't a good fit with the Pac12 schools. So it is kind of stuck in a sports vacuum, not really belonging anywhere.

BYU's channel is an ESPN deal that was struck after BYU left the Mountain West to go it alone as a football independent. I don't know that they could have survived independence without the ESPN TV money since they've had to cobble together their schedules each year. They dropped "down" into the WCC for basketball. The WCC is not a bad conference - it has Gonzaga after all - and St. Mary's has had some good men's teams lately. But it aligns the first or second largest private university in the US with a bunch of (mostly) small Catholic colleges that have rather different missions than BYU.

Because of its refusal to play on Sundays, BYU wasn't able to join the Big 12 and institutionally, as a rather right-wing university, it isn't a good fit with the Pac12 schools. So it is kind of stuck in a sports vacuum, not really belonging anywhere.
Do they now play on Sundays? I suspect that they might have to play on a Sunday at some point.

Last edited:
Do they now play on Sundays? I suspect that they might have to play on a Sunday at some point.
The NCAA has always placed them in a non-Sunday game. In softball, their sub-regional (often at a PAC school in the northwest) would run Thursday to Saturday, while all the others ran Friday through Sunday. I don't think they have ever put an event like the Women's College World Series to the test. I've always wondered what would happen.

BYU channel has been around since 2000 and broadcasts regular programming, as well as BYU sports. The deal with ESPN is separate, and allows one live BYU football game on the BYU channel and also allows the channel to broadcast ESPN reruns of BYU football.

The NCAA has always placed them in a non-Sunday game. In softball, their sub-regional (often at a PAC school in the northwest) would run Thursday to Saturday, while all the others ran Friday through Sunday. I don't think they have ever put an event like the Women's College World Series to the test. I've always wondered what would happen.
[/

The Final Four and even some of the later rounds (at least in other years) would put them to the test. This year, as in some other years, the FF is on Easter Sunday, which puts some of the other teams to the test as well but so far, no one has declined.
Thankfully RU can remove that risk for the NCAA by winning in the first round this year.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT