ADVERTISEMENT

“The Bells Must Ring”

Can someone explain?

For decades we heard a very specific version of “the bells must ring.” I don’t know if it was Smith, or the new band director, but a couple of years ago they started playing an additional stanza prior to the XP and many find it exceedingly annoying As of now there is a complete lack of momentum to the song. This was discussed during the off-season, and I’m 99% sure, that the band director told somebody it was going to be changed. Apparently not.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Agree. I didn't know when to sing or cheer. There's no cue like there was the last 15 years .

When we score at TD they play the first verse of “The Bells Must Ring”, unofficially called “March Men of Rutgers”. Which has always been played in the pregame show as the band marches down the field, but then never again the rest of Gameday. I actually like it after a TD a lot, it’s a great verse. After the extra point, the band plays the second verse, then is the chant, and then the final verse, which is the same as the second but with the second ending, and go knights at the end.

Reactions: JoeRU
Just my two cents...I happen to like the historical intro being played to "The Bells Must Ring" after a TD which, by the way, was all but forgotten until its recent resurrection.

Agree. There’s not enough time for the band to play “Bells” between the TD and XP most of the time anymore. The intro is short enough, and I like it. And the lyrics make sense in context.

The verse ("March men of Rutgers.. ") sounds more like a traditional fight song in how it is laid out. The Glee Club has sung that section for as long as I can remember and, as noted above, was integrated into pregame ~15-20 years ago. The chorus (what most fans would call "The Bells Must Ring") is played after the PAT.

I for one like both sections and think it was a great addition to add in the verse after TDs too. IMO, it was change for the better.

NUTS I agree with you 100%. Don't F with the songs. Same at Bball games in the countdown from the to the start of game and 2nd half. Can we have some traditions please?

If ND or Michigan ever f'd with the songs there'd be rioting in the streets and the band director would be fired on the spot.

Thought this was going to be about Art taking that late shot in 1Q......

btw....... bet $20 someone @ nj.com will run some article about "why didn't Sitkowski come out for concussion check?"....... (hope Politi's mom ain't reading this thread........)

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Oh yeah: Where we told the band was going to be bigger this year? Looks like you got smaller again. This guy might not be any better than Smith, who knows, I guess we’ll have to see still early but definitely a ????

Playing the opening verse before the xp and the chorus/chant after is great. The music of the opening verse is really catchy and has a great classic CFB feel. I first heard it after Grants TD at Washington and immediately knew we had a new director with pretty good instincts. Well, except the fermata in the Alma mater which he got rid of .

Reactions: rc64 and OTBOTOR
I am not a musician but as I said earlier my ear is telling me something is different about “The Bells Must Ring!”

Different key, speed?

I do like as, @LevaosLectures mentioned, what we’re doing right after the TD now. ND does something similar where they play “The Rakes of Mallow” right after a TD and then “Wake up the Echos” after the PAT.

We’re getting there...

I am not a musician but as I said earlier my ear is telling me something is different about “The Bells Must Ring!”

Different key, speed?

I do like as, @LevaosLectures mentioned, what we’re doing right after the TD now. ND does something similar where they play “The Rakes of Mallow” right after a TD and then “Wake up the Echos” after the PAT.

We’re getting there...
Wow, I thought I was losing it but you are correct. I think they are playing "bells must ring" too fast. After every TD yesterday I was "something is wrong with the playing of the song".

BTW to everyone on this thread. Last year when Todd Nichols started we had a lot of complaints like : The band only played to the one side of the field, the original home side. And of course they stopped playing the Alma Mater pre game. I sent a very nice email to him and within two games it was fixed and he replied thanking me for the email.

The important thing to remember is that the RU Rah Rah chant is outstanding. It's unique to Rutgers. It has a long tradition, and it links today's B1G team to the long history of the program and Eastern football. When it is done properly, as any basketball fan knows, it is truly impressive.

When messing with it means it confuses the fans, then it needs to be fixed.

I do like the "March Men of Rutgers" prior to the PAT, and I think the students should sing it. I think an alternate song here could be "Yankee Doodle" to highlight the Rutgers brand as a colonial college. It's what makes us unique in the world of college football.

I would like to add that the band plays the second verse of "The Bells Must Ring" at times when people really want to do a chant. For example, as they march off the field at the end of the pregame show, why not play the first verse and lead the crowd in a chant? Seems like they miss opportunities like that a lot.

When it is done properly, as any basketball fan knows, it is truly impressive.
For example, as they march off the field at the end of the pregame show, why not play the first verse and lead the crowd in a chant? Seems like they miss opportunities like that a lot.

Spot on with the chant being awesome when done together. You're right that it works even better in basketball, given the more intimate nature of the arena and the way that the sound funnels around the RAC.

As for pregame, I think they don't it again for a couple of reasons:
1) It was just played 5 minutes earlier
2) They would be competing with other things (e.g. coin toss, PA announcements) and there is very little time to spare.

As for singing it, I wouldn't hold my breath (it would be cool though). The words also refer to "men of Rutgers" or "Rutgers men", which might draw the ire from some quarters.

Reactions: CoachMagoo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT