ADVERTISEMENT

The Bells Must Ring

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
This band director has absolutely DESTROYED it. Especially at hoops games. This is something that MUST be changed, back to how it was for decades, IMHO. Sorry for the rant but it's a problem. Period. Playing the BACK END of the song, and stopping it, coming out of a 30-second TO? WHY??? The place was ready to ROCK at that moment and NADA.

That's all.

(....this is an OPINION....which we are allowed to have here....you don't have to agree 👍 )

Thought they fixed the problems last year. It’s always been an issue playing it during a 30 second TO.

Reactions: RW90
Thought they fixed the problems last year. It’s always been an issue playing it during a 30 second TO.
Not really....you play it...and let the crowd chant....but don't continue playing it. Pretty simple. I just don't get it this guy has done a GREAT job with everything OTHER THAN this song. Weird.

Reactions: ScarletDave
....and again right there....HOW DO YOU NOT immediately go into "The Bells Must Ring" as we cut the lead to 5 and a TO? Ugh....so frustrating...sorry!

Reactions: RUChoppin
This band director has absolutely DESTROYED it. Especially at hoops games. This is something that MUST be changed, back to how it was for decades, IMHO. Sorry for the rant but it's a problem. Period. Playing the BACK END of the song, and stopping it, coming out of a 30-second TO? WHY??? The place was ready to ROCK at that moment and NADA.

That's all.

(....this is an OPINION....which we are allowed to have here....you don't have to agree 👍 )
Somebody needs to get that fixed.

That's all.

Stop complaining

Reactions: RULegacy
Unfortunately everything is now orchestrated through whoever the in game director is. So the band directors are just waiting for their cue as there is a script to follow in certain situations. So it’s not totally their fault. I am one of the drummers in alumni band and have experienced it a few times while back on set. I did once or twice take my own liberties to start Bells when I knew it needed to happen right away because they were being indecisive but shhh don’t tell anyone. lol.

As a regular fan who is generally indifferent about the band, I know it is atrocious at football games. Really pretty lame and embarrassing compared to our peers.

Performance at bball games is less of an issue. I don't have the details some of you have.

It would be great to be proud of it. . . .

• Love
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
One thing I don't like is a few years ago they changed the "Hey Song". So now right when everyone says "Hey!" they added a few more notes to jazz it up...and totally ruined the punch line. Change for change's sake isn't always good. It's not supposed to be interesting musically, it's an audience sing along.

The Pep Band has gone downhill with the loss of Professor Busuito leaving to take the head band director job at ECU (great for him, sad for the pep band) … they have lost some of their way - yes, whoever is telling them to take the second ending, instead of going into the RU Rah Rah Chant, that is a simple fix and oversight .. not a single Rah Rah chant during any timeout is a total fail. No one in athletics or the band department is competent enough to realize this when it happens. And yea, it should be band first at a timeout, THEN DJ, not band at end of timeout when everyone sat back down. Agree with Nuts, who do we need to call to get this fixed.

One thing I don't like is a few years ago they changed the "Hey Song". So now right when everyone says "Hey!" they added a few more notes to jazz it up...and totally ruined the punch line. Change for change's sake isn't always good. It's not supposed to be interesting musically, it's an audience sing along.
That’s to drown out the students saying “**** Penn State.” I find it kind of pathetic that they do so. Let the kids enjoy themselves!

Another problem is over relying on recorded playlists. I remember when our pep band actually had quite a long playlist themselves which now seems to have been lost to the ages... 🥺

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT