ADVERTISEMENT

Unprecedented pressure next year? What are the expectations?

They are the #2 and #3 recruits, not players. I am struggling to really understand how/why these players are rated. What does it mean to be the #1 or #2 recruit?

Looking at the tapes it appears pretty obvious if his shot works out Ace will be playing in the NBA and could be a top pick in the NBA draft. Is that what these rankings are suppose to show?

If Ace and Dylan are proficient on one side of the court and are average at best on the other side they are #2 and #3 in terms of helping a B1G school win basketball games.
Thanks for the semantics argument; think you and I both know we’re referring to recruiting rankings.

I’m not saying we’re destined for the final four because we have these two players. But it’s much more likely than it has been in decades for us.

Thanks for the semantics argument; think you and I both know we’re referring to recruiting rankings.

I’m not saying we’re destined for the final four because we have these two players. But it’s much more likely than it has been in decades for us.
i wish we had them for 4!

Reactions: darkcheck
I hate to break it to you, but sometimes they don’t bust and become one and done lottery picks.
And being a lottery pick in college isn’t an indicator that your college team will have success. Duke and Kentucky get lottery picks all the time, and surround them with 4 and 5 stars, and don’t make deep runs. We will have them for one year with not as highly ranked surrounding cast. To expect too much is a little foolish. Some on here are like “Elite 8”, “Final 4”, “5 stars will be pouring into RU going forward”. That’s not right. Do I hope it happens? YES. But to expect it…..nah. It takes a lot to come together for those special things. Could it, sure. Just enjoy the ride it should be a fun year.

And being a lottery pick in college isn’t an indicator that your college team will have success. Duke and Kentucky get lottery picks all the time, and surround them with 4 and 5 stars, and don’t make deep runs. We will have them for one year with not as highly ranked surrounding cast. To expect too much is a little foolish. Some on here are like “Elite 8”, “Final 4”, “5 stars will be pouring into RU going forward”. That’s not right. Do I hope it happens? YES. But to expect it…..nah. It takes a lot to come together for those special things. Could it, sure. Just enjoy the ride it should be a fun year.
That’s exactly my point. People are so negative on this board it’s actually impressive (and sad). I’m not saying we go to a final four, but the odds are significantly higher than they would be without these players.

Believe it or not I’d take the success that Duke and Kentucky regularly have…

For comparison does anyone know the last non blue blood (like Rutgers) to get 2 5 stars rated this highly and the outcome of the following season? I can think of a few examples of schools but the 5 stars they had weren't rated as high as Bailey and Harper.

Cal in 2015/16 is the closest that comes to mind...

For comparison does anyone know the last non blue blood (like Rutgers) to get 2 5 stars rated this highly and the outcome of the following season? I can think of a few examples of schools but the 5 stars they had weren't rated as high as Bailey and Harper.

The game has also changed so much over the past 10 years.

Reactions: cshelley
That’s exactly my point. People are so negative on this board it’s actually impressive (and sad). I’m not saying we go to a final four, but the odds are significantly higher than they would be without these players.

Believe it or not I’d take the success that Duke and Kentucky regularly have…
I agree with you except for maybe “significantly” higher. They’re higher. But we didn’t really follow up the 2019-2021 seasons with great recruiting. So we probably won’t have as much to surround Ace and Dylan with for mega success. But they’re higher. Many on here are very optimistic in a cocky way and I think that’s why some of us here are like “pump the brakes”. I too would love Kentucky type programs. But small steps. I’d settle for a 3/4 years 4 outta of every five assured ncaa team. Or a top half of the B1G most years. But we’ll need to recruit better than we have. Here’s hoping next year is a start.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I still am picturing this roster subtracting Cliff and adding Ace and Dylan.

Do we all of a sudden go from #300 to #30 on offense? I have a tough time envisioning how we would look defensively. Say we trust Pike and Ace and Dylan as athletes and we finish #40 on defense.

That is a bubble team.

I still am picturing this roster subtracting Cliff and adding Ace and Dylan.

Do we all of a sudden go from #300 to #30 on offense? I have a tough time envisioning how we would look defensively. Say we trust Pike and Ace and Dylan as athletes and we finish #40 on defense.

That is a bubble team.
There is going to be ups and downs if we rely on freshmen. No doubt. On the flips side, RU also adds J Williams who will be one more experienced leader in the court. Expect another transfer too. We will have to wait to see what this roster looks like in June/July but on the surface, 24-25 is a better team than 23-24.

5 star Markelle Fultz at Washington 2016-17 had a tremendous statistical season but the team finished 9-22 after losing 2 nba guys marquisse Chris and Dejounte Murray to the draft. Fultz actually resembles Harper in terms of size and lead guard play

5 Star Anthony Edwards at Georgia for one year 2019-2020 also didn’t make the tournament on another young team.

yes these teams only had 1 5 star frosh but they were both lead guards like Harper and also both first pick overall in nba draft. And both teams didn’t even make the tournament On young teams. Experience matters

My expectations are the Pike and his staff put together and coach a team that could win as many games as they possibly can, be a FUN AND ENJOYABLE team to watch and play a much better OCC schedule against top competition. Besides that I don’t think it’s to much to expect they make the NCAA’s. Other than that it just wait and see.

I hate to break this to you but sometimes those people bust in college. There are no sure things. Not every 5 star pans out.
Hate to break it to you when you’re a top 2-3 player coming out of HS and being discussed as a #1 pick in the NBA draft, you’re in position to be the best player not only in college basketball but the entire world not playing in the NBA.

RU basketball has never had two players of this caliber playing together not even in ‘76 in my opinion. With all due respect to Sellers and company who none were considered top picks in the NBA draft.

This is new ground.

GO RU

Definitely a center at the least but we are a big attraction now I don’t want Cliff back

I think Cliff focusing 100% on his craft is what’s best for him. He’ll have his degree. Time to go make some money playing ball full time and practicing against elite competition.

Hate to break it to you when you’re a top 2-3 player coming out of HS and being discussed as a #1 pick in the NBA draft, you’re in position to be the best player not only in college basketball but the entire world not playing in the NBA.

RU basketball has never had two players of this caliber playing together not even in ‘76 in my opinion. With all due respect to Sellers and company who none were considered top picks in the NBA draft.

This is new ground.

GO RU
I'm pulling for Rutgers in the Final Four, my friends!

5 star Markelle Fultz at Washington 2016-17 had a tremendous statistical season but the team finished 9-22 after losing 2 nba guys marquisse Chris and Dejounte Murray to the draft. Fultz actually resembles Harper in terms of size and lead guard play

5 Star Anthony Edwards at Georgia for one year 2019-2020 also didn’t make the tournament on another young team.

yes these teams only had 1 5 star frosh but they were both lead guards like Harper and also both first pick overall in nba draft. And both teams didn’t even make the tournament On young teams. Experience matters
Seems like 2 five star freshman is twice as many as one, and also they are 2 of the top 3. I think people who predict final four (presumably this means they think we will be a top four team and they aren’t just hoping we get hot in March) are almost certainly overly optimistic, but I sure as hell don’t think we’ll go 9-22. I think the national championship is more likely than a <10 win season (which is not saying much).

We need a really good center from the portal...and Gavin and Simpson need muscle. If those things happen, we could be good.

Reactions: cshelley

I hear you and share your concern on experience. I think that will be the biggest obstacle for next season and why adding an experiences big man should be priority #1.

Correct me if I'm wrong but next season we'll have 7 scholarship players that are either Frosh or 2nd year. 5 incoming plus Griffiths and Davis.

Gavin cannot defend to save his life. It's not about using him properly. We go negative when he is on the court. If he is on offensively it makes it a wash. He has not had his shot for a month, that's why he gets 6 minutes a game now.
He hasn’t had a shot because there’s nothing about our offensive game plan that works into his skillset.

Until we find a coach (can be an assistant) that runs actual offensive sets with off ball motion and screens, this team will struggle to get over the hump.

Get your young talents shooter solid looks and he’ll knock them down.

He hasn’t had a shot because there’s nothing about our offensive game plan that works into his skillset.

Until we find a coach (can be an assistant) that runs actual offensive sets with off ball motion and screens, this team will struggle to get over the hump.

And to this point, it’s doesn’t even need to be every possession.

But when you need an automatic bucket, you need something to lean on. We don’t, we just iso lol

He’s had looks. He hasn’t knocked them down. I’m not saying he’s hopeless forever but he played his way off the court. It is not the coaches’ fault.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
I expect us to be better offensively and worse defensively. How that translates to the win column I can say until I know what the rest of the roster looks like.

We really need Mag to come back and also get an experienced big in the portal. If either of those things doesn’t happen I think we are in for a much tougher slog than many here seem to think. You can’t win big in college basketball anymore with just two freshman studs. They will need plenty of help.

• Love
Top 5 players pan out. With few exceptions.
I'm saying at Rutgers. IDGAS about the NBA. Garbage product that I don't watch.

I care how they will perform next fall. Ace this Ace that. It's all really great.

Has Ace had to defend college athletes? Can he defend the rapist at Illinois who made it look like a Father/Son game?

I hope they will do well but its 2 college freshman.

Indiana has Mgbako the top 10 superstar and Indiana sucks ass and they have another 2 5 stars complimenting him. That is my entire point.

He’s had looks. He hasn’t knocked them down. I’m not saying he’s hopeless forever but he played his way off the court. It is not the coaches’ fault.
He’s had very limited quality looks of catching a pass in rhythm and going up with it.

I know this because our entire team rarely gets these. Don’t even need to scrub through game film.

He’s had very limited quality looks of catching a pass in rhythm and going up with it.

I know this because our entire team rarely gets these. Don’t even need to scrub through game film.
And yet even with our pitiful offense there are like 8 players on our roster who have scored more efficiently so far.

And yet even with our pitiful offense there are like 8 players on our roster who have scored more efficiently so far.
Which is why I said they aren’t using him well.

I’ve said it before, but using him in an iso offense at this stage is comical. Using any of these guys in an iso offense is comical.

That’s why our offensive rank is so horrible. It’s square peg, round hole.

I can’t believe we didn’t roll into this season with set offensive plays to get easy looks.

The best player on my high school team, senior year, accepted a scholarship to Rutgers. I guess he remembered Rutgers 1976, which was only a few years earlier...
Bailey won the job, no due to a Palko injury

Which is why I said they aren’t using him well.

I’ve said it before, but using him in an iso offense at this stage is comical. Using any of these guys in an iso offense is comical.

That’s why our offensive rank is so horrible. It’s square peg, round hole.

I can’t believe we didn’t roll into this season with set offensive plays to get easy looks.
I’m not saying our offense doesn’t suck. It sucks. But even on our sucky offensive roster he hasn’t been one of the better offensive players.

No one denies that any one of our players would do better with a surrounding offensive cast that was better, but there’s no particular reason to think that Gavin wouldn’t still be eighth best out of this bunch of not good players.

I’m not saying our offense doesn’t suck. It sucks. But even on our sucky offensive roster he hasn’t been one of the better offensive players.

No one denies that any one of our players would do better with a surrounding offensive cast that was better, but there’s no particular reason to think that Gavin wouldn’t still be eighth best out of this bunch of not good players.
Think you’re missing my point.

Gavin IMO would do significantly better running off ball movement coming off screens catching a pass in rhythm and putting it up vs playing in an iso offense.

Simpson, for example, could be better in an iso offense than as a shooter coming off screens.

It would make sense that his offensive efficiency would be better than Gavin’s because he’s playing in an offense that’s better suited to his skills. Does that make sense?

It’s like if you had a speed back in football, but you ran a power run game offense instead of letting him get the edge.

This is why I’ve said the staff aren’t putting him in a position to be successful. They’re running an offense that requires you to beat your man off the dribble with a guy that clearly isn’t there at this point in his career. Why not let him get easy looks by running an offense that gives you that?

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Think you’re missing my point.

Gavin IMO would do significantly better running off ball movement coming off screens catching a pass in rhythm and putting it up vs playing in an iso offense.

Simpson, for example, could be better in an iso offense than as a shooter coming off screens.

It would make sense that his offensive efficiency would be better than Gavin’s because he’s playing in an offense that’s better suited to his skills. Does that make sense?

It’s like if you had a speed back in football, but you ran a power run game offense instead of letting him get the edge.

This is why I’ve said the staff aren’t putting him in a position to be successful. They’re running an offense that requires you to beat your man off the dribble with a guy that clearly isn’t there at this point in his career. Why not let him get easy looks by running an offense that gives you that?
I hear what you’re saying and there might be something to it but I think it’s mostly that he just hasn’t played or shot well. Other people on our team do manage to get open looks for three even if they basically never hit them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT