ADVERTISEMENT

1/3 Of Student Section Roped Off

Maybe they just need to find a better way. I fully support having this happen but I also understand the gripes about some of it.
Bitching here isn't going to do anything. Taking the subject up to Pike, Hobbs, and Greg may. But if they are cool with it then don't waste your time fellas. They run the show and Pike isn't pushing back on Greg.

Stop …it’s 80 seats for a few hours. Maybe in 3 years they’ll build an actual new lounge for recruiting in an updated RAC
Agree you don't stop having them at bball games
But leaving after the trophy presentation isn't a good look

Re. location, you put them behind the band

Whether they're in the front row sitting on their hands, or behind the band on their hands, I guarantee you it makes no difference whether they commit or not

But for the kids waiting outside for 2 hours, they're the ones who are going to be into the game, enthusiastic, potential future donors and more importantly for now, giving the visiting team's bench the business

Give them the primo seats

Reactions: BuggsyRU and toby83
Its not worth the sacrifice. Rutgers football is, and will continue to be a lackluster program under Greg. Schiano can't return the favor. No basketball recruits - want to sit in the cold, and watch Schiano get blown out by Terrapins

Stop …it’s 80 seats for a few hours. Maybe in 3 years they’ll build an actual new lounge for recruiting in an updated RAC
You're not very good at counting, are you?

Its a whole section in the student section. Ever been to the RAC?

Reactions: Unionst
You're not very good at counting, are you?

Its a whole section in the student section. Ever been to the RAC?
80 recruits do not take up an entire section… now I don’t believe even if there were 80 -100 parents we should have had issues. No 😜 I only spent 20 seasons as a ticket holder in sec 304 - 3 seats … Your polliwog in comparison junior…

Reactions: RutgersBandAlum
This is my favorite thread because it shows up every year. We know it happens and yet there's always complaining.

Here's what I'm waiting for is the opposite thread which will happen:

Why no football recruits after the biggest game of the year? We could have showed them all the atmosphere that Rutgers brings..shame on Rutgers being Rutgers.

Unbeliveable how many people will tell you the sky is blue on the board and then when you make it blue, they come back and say it should be red.

You have to let the kids in the building, and putting them in the 300s does not give them a good experience

Put them behind the band as those are the least desirable, and have the students cram in to 109 and 110

Its also better to get the students by the visiting bench to give them the business
Wait...do you think they're giving 300 people FREE seats at Cameron Indoor Stadium, to sit on their hands and be silent, in the student section? HELL NO.

Put them in the 300's. They couldn't care less.

Its not worth the sacrifice. Rutgers football is, and will continue to be a lackluster program under Greg. Schiano can't return the favor. No basketball recruits - want to sit in the cold, and watch Schiano get blown out by Terrapins

lol...I mean we did have the 2024s and a 2025 5* recruits at a football game and tailgate beforehand.

is this really a big sacrifice? it's not a big net positive for RU?

Reactions: TRU2RU and wheezer
This is my favorite thread because it shows up every year. We know it happens and yet there's always complaining.

Why no football recruits after the biggest game of the year? We could have showed them all the atmosphere that Rutgers brings..shame on Rutgers being Rutgers.

Unbeliveable how many people will tell you the sky is blue on the board and then when you make it blue, they come back and say it should be red.
You have summed it up perfectly . These are our staunch MBB and several Schiano detractors of the past 23 years.

Reactions: flyrradio
Wait...do you think they're giving 300 people FREE seats at Cameron Indoor Stadium, to sit on their hands and be silent, in the student section? HELL NO.

Put them in the 300's. They couldn't care less.
You can't compare our ceiling with Duke's ceiling in football, just like you can't compare our success w/their success (and waiting list) for basketball

It's a few times per year
Football brings in 85 % of the revenue

Put them behind the band
That's the last spot the students sit anyway

Just like back in the day, overflow students go in the 300's
Hopefully, this entices students to get season tickets

And if I'm GS, you don't have them leave after trophy presentations - optics matter and it's just not a good look

You can't compare our ceiling with Duke's ceiling in football, just like you can't compare our success w/their success (and waiting list) for basketball

It's a few times per year
Football brings in 85 % of the revenue

Put them behind the band
That's the last spot the students sit anyway

Just like back in the day, overflow students go in the 300's
Hopefully, this entices students to get season tickets

And if I'm GS, you don't have them leave after trophy presentations - optics matter and it's just not a good look
Gotcha, gotcha...I'm good with that and agree!

Reactions: RUbbFannn
I don't mind the football recruits taking up seats once or twice a year. What was stupid yesterday though was saving half of that section for the current football players, most of whom left after 10 minutes once they were introduced to the crowd.

If they want to wait in line as any other student, sure
I entered the RAC at 12:10 there was no line at either entrance & there were a hundered students sitting in the front rows of section 109. The students who get there early & wait on line do so so that they can be in the front row

I have no problem with football recruits being at the game with their family but to have almost the entire football team to sit there and not root for the team and leave after the presentation. The optics are bad and disheartening for students who were shut out. If you are not going to root then stay away!

I entered the RAC at 12:10 there was no line at either entrance & there were a hundered students sitting in the front rows of section 109. The students who get there early & wait on line do so so that they can be in the front row
No, that’s not how this works. They get on line early to claim the tickets. Once they claim the tickets, some will go in early, some will go back home, some will go to class (if a weeknight), and some will go to the dining hall. That variation in what students do after they get tickets explains the lack of students inside at 12:10, and the tickets for games like this usually sell out, which explains why there was no line.

Reactions: bac2therac
How was the reception for the trophy reveal? This has Schiano written all over it. Show up to the basketball game, celebrating the Pinstripe bowl - like he just won the Rose Bowl

Last edited:
What Schiano wants, Schiano gets no matter how ridiculous.
Let's be clear, one of our very best and most impressive assets is the environment at our basketball games. To not leverage that in recruiting for football would demonstrate that we are not really serious about supporting our most important sports program (from a national perception perspective). And when you have recruits and their families on campus, you treat them like royalty, not second class citizens, meaning you dont stick them in the 300s.
Every year, the hoops game is brought up as one of the highlights of the Junior Day event by some recruits. It makes a strong, positive impression about how great it is to be a student at RU. It would be just plain dumb to not run it the way they do - even though for 1 game every year it may diminish our home court advantage by some (quite) small percentage.

There’s valid arguments on both sides of the topic here. Of course football recruiting is important and this has been happening for years and it was bad timing that we are playing Purdue this weekend but in the end the biggest issue it’s a crap idea and poor look by Schiano to have his team take 80 seat away from other students and then let them leave midway through the first half.
This is the one aspect I would consider changing. But would need to know why they left.

I have no problem with football recruits being at the game with their family but to have almost the entire football team to sit there and not root for the team and leave after the presentation. The optics are bad and disheartening for students who were shut out. If you are not going to root then stay away!
They sat there for about 30 minutes staring at their phones. Zero interest in the game. Better off taking them to lunch somewhere.

How was the reception for the trophy reveal? This has Schiano written all over it. Show up to the basketball game, celebrating the Pinstripe bowl - like he just won the Rose Bowl
Exactly- loses last 4 regular season games, has Wagner on the schedule to get to 6 wins and acts like it was a great season.

Final score will be like 80-50, student section really can’t help here.

Team is awful.
Still a dickhead thing to say that our team blows. I’m shocked that you don’t understand why people think that’s a douche move.

You keep saying it’s 80 seats. It’s more than 80 seats because they spread them out to make the recruits extra comfortable. It’s probably 200 seats or more if for being honest, to accommodate 80 people.

For the record, each section in 108-110 holds 500 people. The issue is not 80 football players. It's taking up an entire section for football recruiting. The fact that we are playing the #2 team in the country and the national player of the year makes it that much worse. And has been the case every time the recruits and their families come, it looks like the last place on earth they want to be. Schiano needs to figure out a better way to recruit than this.

You keep saying it’s 80 seats. It’s more than 80 seats because they spread them out to make the recruits extra comfortable. It’s probably 200 seats or more if for being honest, to accommodate 80 people.
They took the entire section!

For the record, each section in 108-110 holds 500 people. The issue is not 80 football players. It's taking up an entire section for football recruiting. The fact that we are playing the #2 team in the country and the national player of the year makes it that much worse. And has been the case every time the recruits and their families come, it looks like the last place on earth they want to be. Schiano needs to figure out a better way to recruit than this.
So what ?… you sound like a spoiled brat. ❤️

The fact that we were playing the #2 team in the country makes it even better. Football recruiting is a tad bit important.

I hate this debate. Should 100 football recruits and their recruiters get prime seats over the equivalent number of students once or twice a year? Of course! It's so obvious to me it hurts. How else are we going to recruit? What else can we sell? doesn't anyone care about winning football games and growing the flagship sports program?

Also, that atmosphere was electric. Not having that one section with students changed nothing in terms of the atmosphere. This is just cranky New Jerseyans eating their own again.

I do agree that the players should be encouraged to stay to the end and cheer though. They are actually students.

Last edited:
They should have stayed the whole game
Yes… I understand the perception and optics on this but that really doesn’t happen with Schiano. You would have to be stupid to even think he was ok with it. If you dislike Greg Schiano as several do on here then no sense attempting to convince some otherwise. No amount of saying hey Hobb’s figure it out .

I don't mind the football recruits taking up seats once or twice a year. What was stupid yesterday though was saving half of that section for the current football players, most of whom left after 10 minutes once they were introduced to the crowd.
Actually disappointed with the football players doing so

Reactions: fatsam98
you'd think football players would be sports fans and be at least a little excited to watch a high-level college basketball game. Guess not.
Maybe that blonde coed girlfriend was more important? Maybe they had school work? There are more important things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT