ADVERTISEMENT

15-3

May 11, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Franklin is 15-3 in the B1G in the previous 3 seasons.

He's a d-bag for sure, but, I was thinking, if Pen St had hired Ash instead of Franklin would they have gone 15-3 in conference the last 3 seasons?

Ash doesn't have the charisma Franklin has in recruiting. Factor that into what kind of personnel he would have had the last 3 seasons.

Comparing is nice, especially when comparing a Rutgers' HC with the HC of a traditional power and using his best 3 years.
Ash came from OSU and is going into his 3rd season as a HC , so let's use Urban's first three season as the Buckeyes HC for in-conference games.
24-0 :eek:, well that might be out of reach

As for the Franklin comparison, maybe going by his and Ash's first two season's B1G record would be more fair and compare that :
Franklin 6-10
Ash 3-15
Looks like Franklin has an edge there .
But he did have a good HC BOB handing off a program that was on the upswing due to the way he handled the adversity he knowingly walked into
Even though sanctions hurt PSU, BOB still was able to go 10-6 in conference play because of his leadership

Chris took over a Football program from the Human sanction and needs to restore it back to respectability

W-L records are easily used to bash or praise a HC if they are being used to fit an agenda.
This thread was started with that purpose in mind so the best of Franklin was used instead of using his first two because Franklin's first two seasons as Penn St's HC didn't fit the bash agenda as well.
:chairshot:

Franklin has done wonders in recruiting

They lost a lot on defense this season and 3 top playmakers in Barkley, Hamilton and Gesecki
Blacknall too, just joking.

They are lucky that their tougher games are at home this season

Comparing is nice, especially when comparing a Rutgers' HC with the HC of a traditional power and using his best 3 years.
Ash came from OSU and is going into his 3rd season as a HC , so let's use Urban's first three season as the Buckeyes HC for in-conference games.
24-0 :eek:, well that might be out of reach

As for the Franklin comparison, maybe going by his and Ash's first two season's B1G record would be more fair and compare that :
Franklin 6-10
Ash 3-15
Looks like Franklin has an edge there .
But he did have a good HC BOB handing off a program that was on the upswing due to the way he handled the adversity he knowingly walked into
Even though sanctions hurt PSU, BOB still was able to go 10-6 in conference play because of his leadership

Chris took over a Football program from the Human sanction and needs to restore it back to respectability

W-L records are easily used to bash or praise a HC if they are being used to fit an agenda.
This thread was started with that purpose in mind so the best of Franklin was used instead of using his first two because Franklin's first two seasons as Penn St's HC didn't fit the bash agenda as well.
:chairshot:
Good points. So who is the better turn around coach. Bill O’Brien or Ash?

They lost a lot on defense this season and 3 top playmakers in Barkley, Hamilton and Gesecki

spoken like a Nit follower. Don't worry about this reply being an attack. I know there are some who claim to be RU fans but really aren't big ones, just root for RU to win more than against and also support other programs like PSU
So praising PSU and their HC is easy to do for them.
Even to the point of knocking everything Rutgers by using everything Penn St as an example.

As for me, want RU to win every game and if I never see: "Praise be to Penn St" again on this board, I wouldn't mind that a bit

Good points. So who is the better turn around coach. Bill O’Brien or Ash?
The jury should be still out on that.
But the support BOB received and how the Nit fanbase supported their program is something Ash can only dream about.

spoken like a Nit follower. Don't worry about this reply being an attack. I know there are some who claim to be RU fans but really aren't big ones, just root for RU to win more than against and also support other programs like PSU
So praising PSU and their HC is easy to do for them.
Even to the point of knocking everything Rutgers by using everything Penn St as an example.

As for me, want RU to win every game and if I never see: "Praise be to Penn St" again on this board, I wouldn't mind that a bit

You're paranoid

I hate Pen St

You can not compare and nobody can give a real answer to this question. So what’s the point?

Was Franklin as good as Saban when he was at Vandy?

15-3 and in the Big Ten and coming out the B1G East and still haven’t sniffed a playoff game. Those losses are a blowouts to Michigan, Michigan State, and a loss to Ohio State. PSU has to prove they can beat all three in a season to ever be king.

15-3 and in the Big Ten and coming out the B1G East and still haven’t sniffed a playoff game. Those losses are a blowouts to Michigan, Michigan State, and a loss to Ohio State. PSU has to prove they can beat all three in a season to ever be king.
The problem is 4 years ago we were a high throw to Kroft away from beating them, and were the better team that season. The turnaround trajectories are much different, we don’t need to be kings yet, just need to raise our national reputatjon a bit with some signature wins

The problem is 4 years ago we were a high throw to Kroft away from beating them, and were the better team that season. The turnaround trajectories are much different, we don’t need to be kings yet, just need to raise our national reputatjon a bit with some signature wins

We don’t have to have signature wins, we need to get back to being a perennial Bowl team like we became under GS. RU became a lock for Bowls year in and year out. Let’s get back to that with a 6-win season in 2018.

They have McSorely coming back and a top 5 recruiting class. They won’t take much of a dip, if any IMHO.

They have McSorely coming back and a top 5 recruiting class. They won’t take much of a dip, if any IMHO.
On paper they should not skip a beat. They did lose a talented group headlined by Barkley so there is a chance they will slip. That’s a lot of Prosuction to replace. McSorley has a great year with Barkley drawing a lot of attention. Now everyone will focus on him so he will have his work cut out. I like that kid but have to root against him while he is at PSU. Except for when they play Michigan in which case I may even root for him and them.

On paper they should not skip a beat. They did lose a talented group headlined by Barkley so there is a chance they will slip. That’s a lot of Prosuction to replace. McSorley has a great year with Barkley drawing a lot of attention. Now everyone will focus on him so he will have his work cut out. I like that kid but have to root against him while he is at PSU. Except for when they play Michigan in which case I may even root for him and them.

They lost a ton on defense and it remains to be seen if they have an impact RB yet

Franklin is 15-3 in the B1G in the previous 3 seasons.

He's a d-bag for sure, but, I was thinking, if Pen St had hired Ash instead of Franklin would they have gone 15-3 in conference the last 3 seasons?
I think you meant to say he is 15-3 the last 2 seasons...he is 19-7 the past 3 years

As others have said PSU would have never hired Ash so it’s a moot point, they wanted someone with previous head coaching experience and that was a known excellent recruiter.

The real question is, would Ash have been able to bring in better assistants to take advantage of a team with the talent level PSU has had the last two seasons to be equally as successful...

If James Franklin didn’t cover up a scandal would Penn stat have even hired him?

The jury should be still out on that.
But the support BOB received and how the Nit fanbase supported their program is something Ash can only dream about.
not even close, if you dont know who then you dont know shite

Forget about Franklin and PSU. That program is re-established as a football blueblood, along with Michigan, Ohio State, etc.

DJ Durkin, Dino Babers and PJ Fleck are better comparables.

No.

James Franklin (and the staff he's assembled) is among the best and most energetic recruiters in the country.

Chris Ash seemingly has the personality of a potato.

PSU would be OK under Ash given the built-in advantages that come with the job, but the ceiling would have been more late-stage Paterno - mostly 8-9 wins with the occasional 10 - whereas Franklin can win a national title.

the mechanic who fixes a Ferrari will have made a faster car than the mechanic who fixes a Buick.

Franklin started on third base....or rather, PSU started on third base.

Reactions: hern4144
it takes time to build and if a HC goes to a traditional power that had a good HC and recruiter and replaces him/her, that HC has a great chance to continue making that program improve. Traditional powers have the name brand factor when recruits look for programs they feel they should commit to.
Franklin stepped into that type of situation and also at a place that has a very supportive administration and generous fan base .
But in all honesty Franklin is also a great recruiter and gaining respect as a HC.

Ash stepped into a situation that had Rutgers in a bad spot PR wise and a FB program drowning in incompetence, especially on the recruiting front .
Rutgers never was considered a traditional power and might even have been looked at as a program going nowhere but down to the more talented HS players and their advisors.
That makes recruiting talent harder and building a program into a good one from a poor one that much harder than if stepping into a program with a winning tradition and a fanbase thay is behind you 100 %.
Recruits see that and also how the area surrounding the school treats the players
Also a friendly media helps

Comparing Ash , considering what he walked into, and Franklin ( with what he inherited) would make the comparison tilt strongly in Franklin's favor and unfair to Ash
Just like comparing Franklin's first couple of years at Vanderbilt to Nick Saban's 2009,2010 & 2011 years at Bama would be unfair to Franklin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT