ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sirius/XM Cancel Scam?

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Have a trial account with my new car, which expires May 2. Received this e-mail today:

"We want to let you know that you have a subscription scheduled to renew on 05/02/2023. On that date the Visa card that you provided ending in 9XXX will be charged $31.05, which includes fees and taxes. That amount may change if there is recent activity on your account. To view the details of your account or update your payment method if this card is no longer valid, go to siriusxm.com/register to register and login to your online account."

-So, I tried logging on. I have had an account, and I could always logon to make changes to my account, but they usually required a chat or a telephone call to cancel. I could not log on. The website kept prompting me to register and provide answers to 3 security questions. I did this multiple times, and could not get past the registration screen. Tried this 3 separate days on two separate computers and browsers. No dice.

- Started the chat. The chat crashed twice when I told them I wanted to cancel.

- Tried calling. When I picked the option to cancel, I was told to call back between 8 am-4 pm Monday-Friday.

-Called again, this time I asked for renew subscription. Got a customer service rep, presumably in India. They are always so pleasant but difficult to get what you want. I tell her I want to cancel instead of renewing. She told me I had to call back on May 2, 2023. I told her that would not work because my credit card would be charged that day and that in the past that happened at the stroke of midnight. She assured me this would not be a problem. I told her I would not be available because I would be out of the country on May 2. She puts me on hold to talk to her supervisor.

She comes back with, I can put your account on hold for 2 weeks and then you can call us when back from vacation. I tell her no. Puts me on hold. She tells me they can put my account on hold for 6 months and it will reactivate, and I can call back then. I tell her no. She puts me on hold.

Finally, she comes back and tells me I can cancel. 15 minutes of wasted time plus the time spent trying to login and register.

Anybody else go through something like this? Hope they go out of business.

I had sirius for 1 year when I bought a new car. I ended up keeping it for several years after the free trial but it became very expensive for what they give you and I cancelled when it was up for renewal. Had no problem cancelling but after a few months, they started sending me offers and it kept getting cheaper and cheaper with each offer. I ended up getting it again when the offer was $5.95 per month for 1 year. After the year was up, I cancelled again but told them I sold the car so I don't get any more offers.

I had sirius for 1 year when I bought a new car. I ended up keeping it for several years after the free trial but it became very expensive for what they give you and I cancelled when it was up for renewal. Had no problem cancelling but after a few months, they started sending me offers and it kept getting cheaper and cheaper with each offer. I ended up getting it again when the offer was $5.95 per month for 1 year. After the year was up, I cancelled again but told them I sold the car so I don't get any more offers.
Same for me previously. This time was painful, and they have gone to great lengths to make it difficult to cancel and to charge your card. I'm only in the car a few hours per week, and I listen to regular radio, my own music collection and internet radio stations through TuneIn. I would listen to Sirius/XM a bit, but not enough to justify paying a subscription fee.

My situation is similar, except I already had a subscription through my old car, which was totaled in a storm in '21. When I bought a new car I got the trial, and then was able to move my current subscription, which I was able to negotiate 3 years at $6 per month for both car and internet (I listen at the gym). It went pretty smoothly with the agent. I was never talking to a foreign agent. Are you sure this wasn't phishing?

Have a trial account with my new car, which expires May 2. Received this e-mail today:

"We want to let you know that you have a subscription scheduled to renew on 05/02/2023. On that date the Visa card that you provided ending in 9XXX will be charged $31.05, which includes fees and taxes. That amount may change if there is recent activity on your account. To view the details of your account or update your payment method if this card is no longer valid, go to siriusxm.com/register to register and login to your online account."

-So, I tried logging on. I have had an account, and I could always logon to make changes to my account, but they usually required a chat or a telephone call to cancel. I could not log on. The website kept prompting me to register and provide answers to 3 security questions. I did this multiple times, and could not get past the registration screen. Tried this 3 separate days on two separate computers and browsers. No dice.

- Started the chat. The chat crashed twice when I told them I wanted to cancel.

- Tried calling. When I picked the option to cancel, I was told to call back between 8 am-4 pm Monday-Friday.

-Called again, this time I asked for renew subscription. Got a customer service rep, presumably in India. They are always so pleasant but difficult to get what you want. I tell her I want to cancel instead of renewing. She told me I had to call back on May 2, 2023. I told her that would not work because my credit card would be charged that day and that in the past that happened at the stroke of midnight. She assured me this would not be a problem. I told her I would not be available because I would be out of the country on May 2. She puts me on hold to talk to her supervisor.

She comes back with, I can put your account on hold for 2 weeks and then you can call us when back from vacation. I tell her no. Puts me on hold. She tells me they can put my account on hold for 6 months and it will reactivate, and I can call back then. I tell her no. She puts me on hold.

Finally, she comes back and tells me I can cancel. 15 minutes of wasted time plus the time spent trying to login and register.

Anybody else go through something like this? Hope they go out of business.

I heard about it many times. That is why I did not renew. I did hear someone who eventually found an easy to to end it. I think they cancelled their credit card or something and then got a new card.

SiriusXM is f*cking awful. I was an early adopter and a pretty faithful customer for a dozen years through half as many cars. Got tired of shitty, repetitive content and usurious prices. Apple CarPlay with Amazon Music and Pandora fixed the problem.

Reactions: Knight Shift
SiriusXM is f*cking awful. I was an early adopter and a pretty faithful customer for a dozen years through half as many cars. Got tired of shitty, repetitive content and usurious prices. Apple CarPlay with Amazon Music and Pandora fixed the problem.

I just use apple CarPlay with Amazon. Good enough for me.

Each year I get an email that my subscription will renew soon I think the amount is about $250. I just call and get the SPECIAL offer lol. I renew each time for $60 plus tax

Reactions: Foads
I have it for Mad Dog and Stern. I like the dedicated artist channels too.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Love SiriusXm, especially since I drive a lot and only listen to music in the car. Have had it for nearly 20 years and really love my favorite stations and surfing through a bunch of others too. Also, really like a bunch of the DJs on several stations - yes, I still like DJs and the serendipity of stumbling upon great music I wouldn't find as easily otherwise. I don't even know what it costs, lol.

Back in the day I would send them a check for yearly service.
When they started insisting on cc only on file for their payment I said adios
Knew they would be difficult to separate in the future

Yikes.

Was just considering signing up for my truck. Haven't had it in about 20 years, back when the two were seperate and I had just XM.

Incidentally, just canceled Spotify, which seemed super easy online (assuming it doesn't show up on my statement next mo). Might just pick that back up instead of XM.

Done with Amazon for anything but base Prime. They were charging me an extra $30 or 40 a month for a bunch of add-ons I didn't want or actively agree to. F that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT