ADVERTISEMENT

15 shutouts since joining the Big Ten

Here are the Massey Composite rankings of who our team has beaten this year: 60, 125, 61, 75, 82 and Wagner. Not a Top 50 or Top 60 team in there.

Wisconsin is ranked 47 and the loss wasn't very close--they trailed by 2 or 3 scores the whole game.

Mediocre coaches clean up only on weaklings. Better coaches also beat better teams.

There you go. See I knew you could rationalize.

We're now on from "he can't beat winning teams" to "he can't beat Massey top 50 or 60"...until of course those teams move into that category and the goal posts move yet again.

Wisconsin had their QB knocked out for the season after our game, but of course that doesn't count.

yup

what we saw the other night was a absolute clinic in coaching

Greg failed miserably
Yep, it wasn't our QB not completing catches, or our line getting manhandled by Iowa's defense, or our abysmal offensive play calling. It was Greg, it's all Greg's fault.

/s

We're now on from "he can't beat winning teams" to "he can't beat Massey top 50 or 60"...until of course those teams move into that category and the goal posts move yet again.

Wisconsin had their QB knocked out for the season after our game, but of course that doesn't count.
That's a weak evasion. I never said he can't beat winning teams. Maybe others have. I've always said he has a ceiling in the middle of the pack. Being unable to beat Top 50/60 teams proves that.

That's a weak evasion. I never said he can't beat winning teams. Maybe others have. I've always said he has a ceiling in the middle of the pack. Being unable to beat Top 50/60 teams proves that.
I'll say it, he can't beat p5 teams with winning records.

You know either way, who is really excited by a coach that never wins big games? He has 1 truly big win in his entire career. And what reason do we have to believe that this team will be any more likely to beat better teams next year than this year? Our passing game still barely exists. Do we have reason to believe it's going to be much better next year?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
You know either way, who is really excited by a coach that never wins big games? He has 1 truly big win in his entire career. And what reason do we have to believe that this team will be any more likely to beat better teams next year than this year? Our passing game still barely exists. Do we have reason to believe it's going to be much better next year?
I'm right there with you

Greg was awful last year and blamed the oc. This year, the team is under performing and it's on him again

My issue has always been…he can’t even win the big east. How will he win the big ten?

I think that would be a valid criticism of Schiano at this point. That being noted, on what basis is Flood a "better gameday coach"? If you're using the 'beating P5 teams with a winning record' metric, Flood had 3 of those in the 4 years he was here, with 2 of them coming in his first season (2012) when the team was still pretty much Schiano's.

Joe P.

Not really. Records are facts.

Records are facts. Sure. But records are not the sole reason , not even the biggest reason , why any school is in a conference.

First of all. There are other programs except football.

Second of all, if records mattered then NW would’ve been booted a long long time ago.

Third , it’s about money and value that schools add to the conference.

And lastly anyone who doesn’t recognize that RU not only started from behind, had 1 terrible hire and setback and then all meanwhile has been receiving significantly less money the whole time … then you’re a troll who is being selective about what facts matter and which ones don’t.

Let’s see… 15 shutouts over 10 years equals … is that 1.5 for a team undermanned , underfunded, and miserably coached ? Asking for a friend.

I think that would be a valid criticism of Schiano at this point. That being noted, on what basis is Flood a "better gameday coach"? If you're using the 'beating P5 teams with a winning record' metric, Flood had 3 of those in the 4 years he was here, with 2 of them coming in his first season (2012) when the team was still pretty much Schiano's.

Joe P.
Flood did far better with Greg's kids than Greg did. that is not even debatable amongst Greg's hardest supporters

Flood did far better with Greg's kids than Greg did. that is not even debatable amongst Greg's hardest supporters
😂😂😂...based on what?????? Please give some sort of contextual answer based on non-cherry-picked data points. You talk about the 'Greg apologists'; you're no different in your type of extreme thinking only you seem to hate the guy instead of think he can do no wrong.

Joe P.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
we haven’t had a serviceable passing game since 2014. That is your problem there. If your offense is 90% running with an average to bad O-line in most years you will get shut out.

I have no doubt with proper coaching Gavin would be at least an average P5 QB
The major blind spot in this program for the last decade has been the coaching and development of QBs. Friedgen was the only coach at RU that actually taught the position. That's why these QBs that are supposed to be saviors are never the answer.

You really think that this team has underperformed this year??? What was your preseason prediction?
Seriously? We had a poster who started a thread before the season renaming our starting QB "Gavin Winsatt" for all the winning he was going to deliver and there were plenty of posters on this site that agreed with him 100%. Are you now telling us that we weren't in the mix for a B1G title this year with Winsatt as our QB? Also, every week, except maybe the OSU game, we have poster after poster predicting Rutgers winning every game by double digit points in some cases. Now, are you telling us that all of these sports board experts are wrong, how can that be, they all seem pretty sure that are right all of the time, and they are very quick to shout down anyone who disagrees with them?

Totally agree. Gavin was a 4-star qb out of high school. One of the highest ranked qbs in the class…

There’s zero reason he should be this bad at this point of his career. Again, we need a dedicated QB coach
A players star rating does not always translate particularly with qb’s. Case in point our opponent this week, Penn state. Hackenberg was an all world 5* recruit with offers from every school in the country, McSorely was a 3* who’se only other D1 offer to play quarterback was Vanderbilt. Which one would you pick knowing what we know now?

It was the worst game we played this year. No arguments from me. We beat ourselves with the penalties and Iowa at home is pretty good.
Is Greg famous for claiming his teams are always ‘Better in November’.

There’s genuinely not a coach in CFB full of more excuses than Greg Schiano. The man refused to accept responsibility for anything unless it’s a positive. Were paying $2.8 MILLION this year for our offensive coordinator’s, it’s pathetic

wow some of you people are miserable.
If we were beating the really good teams we’d be in the top 25. It’s not lost on anyone that we aren’t, yet most people can still see progress.
Real talk what progress has our offense made this year? The defense wasn’t the issue last year, we were good there. What noticeable improvements from our offense have you seen this year?

wow some of you people are miserable.
If we were beating the really good teams we’d be in the top 25. It’s not lost on anyone that we aren’t, yet most people can still see progress.
Yes, pretty much everyone for the most part agrees there is progress, but what some posters are tired of are these constant threads after every win over Temple, Wagner, Indiana about Greg not being paid enough and the need to give him an extension and raise and anyone who disagrees is a hater. The over-the-top anointing of the HC after every win is so predictable on this board and it doesn't allow for meaningful discussions among the fans, it puts people in camps, for and against.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Question. If either or both Northwestern or Va Tech finish 7-5 does that count or no because they didn't have a winning record when we played them?
no they were in utter chaos when we played them and you know that. I'll wager if we played them today the result would most likely be different. I don't think that is a far stretch or reach either

You really think that this team has underperformed this year??? What was your preseason prediction?
stop
preseason predictions change as the season commences hence why no poll is the same

stop trying to play these games

2 games this team was more than capable of beating and did not, that's underperforming by anyone's definition

Is Greg famous for claiming his teams are always ‘Better in November’.

There’s genuinely not a coach in CFB full of more excuses than Greg Schiano. The man refused to accept responsibility for anything unless it’s a positive. Were paying $2.8 MILLION this year for our offensive coordinator’s, it’s pathetic
Can’t take you seriously with this post. How’s Mike Houston doing?

I'm right there with you

Greg was awful last year and blamed the oc. This year, the team is under performing and it's on him again
I'm not sure I'd say they're under-performing. It depends on the yardstick I guess. His v1.0 teams definitely underperformed. His recruiting classes were comparable to anyone in the conference or better--and aren't his supporters always saying it's about recruiting?--and he never even made it to the 2nd best bowl in the easiest conference let alone come close to winning it.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I'm not sure I'd say they're under-performing. It depends on the yardstick I guess. His v1.0 teams definitely underperformed. His recruiting classes were comparable to anyone in the conference or better--and aren't his supporters always saying it's about recruiting?--and he never even made it to the 2nd best bowl in the easiest conference let alone come close to winning it.
I look at the 2 games we could have and probably should have won to say under performing. in addition, a qb that woefully lacking and keeping the team back. I think both are examples of under performing

v1 definitely underperformed until Flood took over and won the BE

I mean that's false and this year alone it will likely be false by the end of the regular season but those goal posts will move again.

My issue has always been…he can’t even win the big east. How will he win the big ten?

Don't worry. When next year we win even more games, I for one look forward to "Well see, no more Michigan, OSU or Cult on the schedule, so...yada yada"

Rinse repeat....

Question. If either or both Northwestern or Va Tech finish 7-5 does that count or no because they didn't have a winning record when we played them?

I already asked that. Pick your favorite:

1. tHeY wErE iN cHaOs

2. "Well they're not in the top 40 Massey, so"

3. He never won the Big East! In fact he made Townsend drop that pass in the end zone!

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT