ADVERTISEMENT

2018 G Mac McClung

I don't know how Rutgers is doing with the two four star PG's with offers, Jalen Carey and David Duke. Does Rutgers take a early shot here or wait it out on those 2 top 75 players? I know Carey visited a few months ago.

Personally, I would prefer one of those 6'4" PG's. but, this may be a "bird in the hand" type situation if the staff is really interested and if MacClung is interested.

There is not always a linear relationship between height and wingspan. If a kid is 6 0 and has long arms, that will definitely help him on the basketball court. Like life, it's a game of wills out there. Ask Seton Halls Angel Delgado.

I don't know how Rutgers is doing with the two four star PG's with offers, Jalen Carey and David Duke. Does Rutgers take a early shot here or wait it out on those 2 top 75 players? I know Carey visited a few months ago.

Personally, I would prefer one of those 6'4" PG's. but, this may be a "bird in the hand" type situation if the staff is really interested and if MacClung is interested.

Just saying, I don't always think height is the main factor in choosing someone. If they can be 6 0 and have a wingspan of 6 6 at that position, there can be a compromise.

Kid looks like a tough kid with skills (just from video), not worried about size or wing span for a PG as much as skills, toughness and court awareness.

Hawk and Russ

We need a PG in this class...

Who do you guys like better..Tabbs or McClung

Thanks

Hawk and Russ

We need a PG in this class...

Who do you guys like better..Tabbs or McClung

Thanks

I agree with Russ that PSU likely leads for Tabbs, they've been recruiting him the longest and at least 6+ months or so before RU and a host of others have gotten involved like VTech etc.....I believe Tabbs is a better player overall and especially appears to be so on defense and bigger/taller than McClung, so he fits the prototype of what RU likes....I think Tabbs is more of a combo guard that is similar to Geo Baker, where McClung may be a little more of a playmaker/comfortable at PG at the college level, so while Tabbs may be a better player today, McClung may be more of a lead guard that may not take much to adjust as a PG at this level.

There are other combo or PG's beyond these two, but if given the choice of Tabbs or McClung, Tabbs is the more known product and I would lean that way, but McClung's game and tape gives me comfort we would be fine either way....A lot of this is a name we are familiar with or heard and seen and a newer kid that perhaps has not been as recognized.

McClung has an X-factor that you cannot coach....he believes in his game and gets his teammates involved as an unselfish player....He also has a little wiggle in his game and can create space to get his own offense as a jump shooter, which in conference games is a more likely part of his game RU would need. While Tabbs may be the better player, McClung may be the better fit for what RU does to compliment Baker and hopefully Montez Mathis....Each guard would bring something different to the court and I am a player that believes in players having defined strengths and roles on a roster more than ever vs overall individual talent.

If you told me by the end of the summer my guards in the 2018 recruiting class would be Mathis and McClung, I'd sign up for that today....

McClung doesn't have great height, but he looks quick with a very good first step, which leads me to believe he could be at least adequate on defense if the desire is there, which it would have to play for coach Pikiell. He also looks to have a frame he could add some strength to.

In watching the videos, this kid's playing style reminds me of Bobby Hurley. I'm obviously not talking skill level, but style of play. Kid is a baller.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
Let's hope we get some good news soon. I really like this kid's game.He and Mathis would be super.

Sounds like things went well today for McClung.....just saw a tweet that RU offered McClung...

I would assume his recruiting now expands to the bigger boys. Good look being one of the first power conference guys in on McClung.

Just saying, I don't always think height is the main factor in choosing someone. If they can be 6 0 and have a wingspan of 6 6 at that position, there can be a compromise.
Not sure we have the luxury of waiting on anyone. I like this kids game and he looks like he can play defense as well.

Pikiell is a legit 6'4".....Looks like he could be 6'3 or 6'2 1/2"

iylhkj9b4w4ywwgzxwuj

Reactions: MV9000
The kid's got skills, hops, and he attacks the game with a vengeance, yet still is unselfish in terms of setting up his teammates with some slick passes. And as far as his height is concerned, he looks plenty tall enough standing next to Coach P, (and he's sure as hell tall enough to dunk the ball with ease....and authority).

Hey, if he wants to come, I say take him in a nanosecond. From watching his tapes, he seems to have that "it" factor that you just don't pass on if you have the chance to add him to your team.

Reactions: KevH and Scangg
In watching the videos, this kid's playing style reminds me of Bobby Hurley. I'm obviously not talking skill level, but style of play. Kid is a baller.

Sorry Bobby Jr had no where near this kid's hops. Bobby Jr was very quick, could shoot, great awareness of players on the court, always played with great talent around him, and would out work you. Great compliment to pay this young player but this kid's athleticism jumps right out at you.

GO RU

Reactions: Scangg
The kid's got skills, hops, and he attacks the game with a vengeance, yet still is unselfish in terms of setting up his teammates with some slick passes. And as far as his height is concerned, he looks plenty tall enough standing next to Coach P, (and he's sure as hell tall enough to dunk the ball with ease....and authority).

Hey, if he wants to come, I say take him in a nanosecond. From watching his tapes, he seems to have that "it" factor that you just don't pass on if you have the chance to add him to your team.
I think this kid would be another nice piece to the puzzle. I'm surprised we are the first major conference team to offer. He would have an opportunity for a lot of playing time at Rutgers. I hope he's one of the kids who commits? We can't take everyone and the dominos are going to start to fall soon.

Yeah they have an odd resemblance haha. Pretty weird tbh. Irregardless sign him up. Someone get a bagman to Mathis and Reids house haha.

Mcclung stole a ball from Mathis over the weekend. I am sure Mathis sees the potential of playing with him. Look at 2.04 of the video posted.

Hurley was a Top 10 NBA pick-------PG on 2 NCAA Champions

Played HS basketball at the highest level

Comparing the 2 is silly

I live in Gate City and have watched McClung in every high school game hes played in. If he does choose to play for Rutgers I can assure you this....you won't find a harder worker or bigger gym rat. There's absolutely no quit in this kid and he elevates the play of everyone around him. And I wouldn't let the lack of height be a worry....hes 6'1 or 6'2 but he has a 39 or 40 inch vertical and is the true definition of explosive.

I watched him play football as a freshman and he had 13 TDs playing the WR/Slot position and would more than likely have landed scholarships in football too had he not quit to focus on basketball. His whole family has played college sports of some sort at the D1 level so his talent comes as no suprise. His sister set almost every record in the VHSL in Soccer a few years ago and played on the Olympic team and then went on to play for FSU and then transferred to UT. His Dad or Grandfather (Can't remember which it was....maybe both) played for VT as a Tight End.

If you guys will look back at the highlights of Gate City vs. Union.......he scored 47 pts that game. But what's impressive is that he scored it against James Mitchell.....which is a Rivals Top 250 Tight End prospect. Mitchell was matched up on him man-to-man the whole game and couldn't stay in the same ball park with him.

just figured I'd share my .02 worth on the subject since I've seen him play for 3 years. seen that he got the offer and wanted to check in and see what you guys were saying about him and if you liked the offer.

Last edited:
I live in Gate City and have watched McClung in every high school game hes played in. If he does choose to play for Rutgers I can assure you this....you won't find a harder worker or bigger gym rat. There's absolutely no quit in this kid and he elevates the play of everyone around him. And I wouldn't let the lack of height be a worry....hes 6'1 or 6'2 but he has a 39 or 40 inch vertical and is the true definition of explosive.

I watched him play football as a freshman and he had 13 TDs playing the WR/Slot position and would more than likely have landed scholarships in football too had he not quit to focus on basketball. His whole family has played college sports of some sort at the D1 level so his talent comes as no suprise. His sister set almost every record in the VHSL in Soccer a few years ago and played on the Olympic team. His Dad or Grandfather (Can't remember which it was....maybe both) played for VT as a Tight End.

If you guys will look back at the highlights of Gate City vs. Union.......he scored 47 pts that game. But what's impressive is that he scored it against James Mitchell.....which is a Top 250 prospect Tight End on Rivals. Mitchell was matched up on him man-to-man the whole game and couldn't stay in the same ball park with him.

just figured I'd share my .02 worth on the subject since I've seen him play for 3 years. seen that he got the offer and wanted to check in and see what you guys were saying about him and if you liked the offer.

Thanks for the insight. Definitely the type of player I would like to see here. Seems like he would be a fan fav.

Sign this kid up immediately. Can't put a measure on hard working kids and wanting to get better!

Hurley was a Top 10 NBA pick-------PG on 2 NCAA Champions

Played HS basketball at the highest level

Comparing the 2 is silly

Read my post again Irish. I said the STYLE of play was similar, not the skill. Nothing silly about comparing styles of play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT