ADVERTISEMENT

2018 G Mac McClung

What I like about Mac is he fits the mold as a team player. I'd take him in a heart beat!
I think Coach Pike's success is that he can make the most out of a TEAM. He did very good at Stony Brook with these types of players. I remember years ago, the US Olympic team, playing as a well coached TEAM, and they literally destroyed the NBA Allstar team in an exhibition game. It wasn't even close. The NBA guys were not a TEAM because they didn't play together for more than a week or two. All that talent with little results. Just a point I wanted to make and I'm very excited as to what kind of TEAM the staff is going to put together and to play as a TEAM! We saw a nice glimpse of it last year.

Completely disagree. Ewing never had the talent around him. Especially considering he needed to get through the GOAT MJ. As much as I liked starks he was no pippen. Ewing never had that level of player to be Robin to his Batman like pretty much every single NBA champ. Now you need at least 3. Ewing never even had 2
If Charles Smith can make one of those 4 missed layups then Knicks are up 3-2 with a great shot at winning at home.

According to a source, McClung might be part of a Team Loaded VA package deal for Georgetown.

Hoyas are after David McCormack and Kiyon Boyd on that AAU team. Hearing McClung may be a take for GU if they get one of McCormack or Boyd.
Thanks Russ. Maybe your source wasn't clear, but do you think package deal means they'd probably only accept McClung if one of the other guys was coming, or that McClung and/or one of the other players like GT and may choose to commit together? Two different scenarios and your post kind of implies a bit of both. The first scenario doesn't necessarily speak to McClung's interest level in GT, but just means that he may not have a commitable offer without one of the others.

My source believes that GU will definitely take McClung if that gets them one of McCormack or Boyd.

He also believes that McClung may be a take for them regardless. He doesn't know how interested in the kid is in GU

As interest expands and no real word on how into us he is, i feel this one is a goner

I hope this kid likes Pike as much as I think he does? Do you want to go to a school based on being taken as a package because other guys are coming; or do you want to come to a school where you will be the point guard because we believe you can lead our school to a championship?

I like him a lot. Kid can sure get up. Plays under control from what we can see. Yes it's a highlight reel but I like it.

Hurley was a Top 10 NBA pick-------PG on 2 NCAA Champions

Played HS basketball at the highest level

Comparing the 2 is silly
It's only silly in retrospect. Hurley played along side great talent and out of high school I don't think anyone saw him as a sure NBA player.

I think Rhodes did play a little in the NBA----not long but then went overseas if memory serves

Bleacher report Instagram just put up a clip of an in bounds alley oop that was EXPLOSIVE and an awesome dunk. I watched it a few time I was so amazed. And then I saw it was McClung who was tagged in it ! This kid can hop !!

Athleticism translates. He seems to have a nice working shot as well.

Similar to Kiss, a kid who plays with swagger is a prerequisite for a program on the rise.

After a bad couple rain storms, the banks are finally rising!

Let's go RU.

Not going to lie, McClung jumps look more effortless than Sanders.

I never thought I'd say that, lol.

Ground to rim in .02 seconds.

Pikiells's closing skills will be tested and on full display.
The closing skills are only a small part of Rutgers difficulty in recruiting higher level talent.Overcoming perception of the program based on past failure compounded by negative recruiting by other schools makes Pikiell's job far more difficult than most power conference head coaches.

Absolutely 78. Not sure if people don't want to admit or just conveniently forget these things. Have to guard against misplaced disappointment as a result also. Patience.

Reactions: RW90
Dazzling, exciting - clearly has talent and a strong amount of innate showmanship.
Yes there is a fair amount of 'eye candy' there to be enjoyed - some of which needs to be set aside in an evaluation

Key is - where is the kid's heart? How does he really, really want to spend his college career? - does he have a burning vision of being a key outstanding part of a synchronized defensive and offensive cohesive basketball game winning 5-guys-on-the-court machine? ... or is he going to be drawn toward a place where he senses that he will regularly be able to put the razzle-dazzle / spectacular highlight reel stuff on display.

Imagine that Pikiell is selling strongly - but not sugarcoating - impression is that Pikiell makes it very clear that the is focus is on building the program - and committed to elevating it to the point where eventually basketball analysts say - - "Rutgers .. they always play really good team basketball - they will out-hustle & out-smart & exploit the weaknesses of every team they face ... if you snooze on Rutgers even a little bit - they will make you pay dearly .... and if you manage to get a win against them - you will have had to play your very best game - and you will have been in a battle."

Ultimately, with the volume of key players that Pikiell & co. are engaging in discussions, they are going to connect with some of the right matches that buy in to the concepts & commit. There are plenty of "possibilities" - but the right ones will be the ones that are willing to completely buy -in.

ADVERTISEMENT