ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 Wrestling starting lineup ?

Harleyr1

Junior
Dec 6, 2017
Any thoughts on what the starting lineup might be for this years wrestling team ...lots of new blood that’s for sure !

Any thoughts on what the starting lineup might be for this years wrestling team ...lots of new blood that’s for sure !

125 Alvarez
133 Suriano
141 Lipari
149 Vanbrill
157 Kannaird
165 Turley
174 Grello
184 Janzer
197 Correnti
285 Colucci

Watch out for Vulakh - Will not be surprised if he goes right away.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
125-Aguilar
133-National Champion
141-Lipari
149-Van Brill
157-Benner
165-Glasgow
174-Grello
184-Janzer
197-Correnti. Still like him the best at this weight. Maybe Pagano wins spot here or 184.
Hwt-Colucci

I’m sure Willie Scott and Donner will get some matches mixed in as well. It will be interesting to see how Alvarez and true freshmen fit in. I would’ve to believe most will Redshirt.

Will be interesting to see what Lightner does this year. And does Aragona find a starting spot? Hearing Alvarez quite a bit over 125 this summer.

125 Metzler Aguilar Alvarez
133 Suriano Firestone, Robinson, Ecklof
141 Lipari Aaronga Britton
149 Van Brill Vulakh Brenner Angelo Gobencion
157 Glasgow Santos Harrison
165 Kinnard Donner Oliveri
174 Grello Scott Ciaramella
184 Janzer Turley
197 Pagano Correnti
Hwt Colucci Lightner DelVecchio Esposito

As team will only keep 30, the 2 cuts will likely br Echlof, Gobencion, or Ciaramella

184 Janzer Turley
197 Pagano Correnti

As team will only keep 30, the 2 cuts will likely br Echlof, Gobencion, or Ciaramella
That’s the roster ..no thoughts on who starts.

That’s the roster ..no thoughts on who starts.

So hard to tell before they compete in early tourneys and wrestle offs , but I'll give it a whirl:

125- Aguilar
133- Suriano
141- Lipari
149- Benner
157- Van Brill
165- Glasgow
174- Grello
184- Janzer
197- Correnti
285- Colucci

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearscreen25
184 Janzer Turley
197 Pagano Correnti

Looking at lineup on TrackWrestling, looks like Gobencion and Ciaramella might be gone. Looks like Rich Halal a Bergen Catholic kid is an incoming freshman. Was not a starter for BC, should be around 133 or 141.

Question for those who follow the program closely: Who on the roster is poised to make a big jump this year? Last year the answer I got at this time was Peter Lipari.

here is my unedumacated guess

125- Aguilar
133- Suriano
141- Lipari
149- Van Brill (Possibly one of the freshman takes this spot)
157- Kanniard (kannaird take RS next year)
165- Glasgow
174- Grello
184- Janzer (Possibly Scott)
197- Correnti (60/40 Lightner)
285- Colucci

I am very Curious to see how Alvarez & Aragona perform. I think we may see one of these two make a case to not redshirt this year. Basing results on freestyle, Correnti loses to Lightner (Not sure folkstyle will follow but I am a closet Correnti fan)I liked what I saw with Nic Aguilar during freestyle season. Nic just appears really small. I have always liked Scott and haven't seen enough of Janzer to know where he stands.

Everyone thinks this Suriano kid is a lock to start at 133 huh??

On a more serious note. I think Vulakh is being overlooked a bit. Maybe it is because he committed late and we are more familiar with the NJ guys - I honestly don't know. I think he has a good chance to crack the lineup at 149 or 157 (moreso than Kanniard this year). He just has that Big 10 snarl about him and his pedigree is top notch.

On a more serious note. I think Vulakh is being overlooked a bit. Maybe it is because he committed late and we are more familiar with the NJ guys - I honestly don't know. I think he has a good chance to crack the lineup at 149 or 157 (moreso than Kanniard this year). He just has that Big 10 snarl about him and his pedigree is top notch.

I figured 1 of Kannaird/Vulkah will RS this season and the other one next....not sure which one it will be,

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Looking at lineup on TrackWrestling, looks like Gobencion and Ciaramella might be gone. Looks like Rich Halal a Bergen Catholic kid is an incoming freshman. Was not a starter for BC, should be around 133 or 141.
Gobencion is now listed on the roster in Trackwrestling.

I figured 1 of Kannaird/Vulkah will RS this season and the other one next....not sure which one it will be,

That's why I mentioned in my earlier post.I would not be surprised if he starts as he is a top recruit.Look at all the national tournaments he won and competed in.He is tough as nails and I can see him excelling in the Big 10.

Olympic year and would not surprise me if he goes for that ....was wondering who was gonna speculate this first ...
Currently not listed on Rutgers Student database (public information), just surprised since he hasn’t shown much interest in freestyle over the last 4 years.

Rutgers updated their TrackWrestlimg lineup just yesterday and included Nick so that is odd if he is not enrolled at school this semester. We shall see soon enough.

Harley - I bet Suriano takes redshirt for 1st semester and then decides what he will do.

Great to hear.

What weights do you project Alvarez and Vulakh this year and if they red-shirt or not?
If Nick does redshirt for olympics I see this as the lineup
125-Aquilar
133-Alvarez ....he is big right now
141- Lipari...Firestone could be a sleeper here tho
149- Aragona or Vulakh.....too good to redshirt IMO
157-VanBrill ...yes I said it !
165-Glasgow ..Turley could upset here if SG can’t stay healthy
174-Grello
184-Janzer
197- Correnti
Hvy- Collucci
Just a projection so hopefully hopefully I don’t get assaulted lol

Last edited:
125-Aquilar
165-Glasgow ..Turkey could upset here if SG can’t stay healthy
174-Grello
184-Janzer
197- Correnti
Hvy- Collucci

Alvarez vs. Lipari scrambles in practice will be fun to watch. Both should really benefit from the addition of Tyler Graff as a coach. I hope JoJo/Vulakh spends as much time as possible with Reece and AA. Donny too. We have some really high level coaches/partners for our lightweights/middleweights.

This thread is the first time I heard rumors of Suriano red shirting.
I always figured he would take his senior year and start training MMA.
I guess putting off Alvarez RS year would be all right, but I was looking forward to the Seth Gross vs Suriano matchup.

turkey is a tough wrestler....problem with him is he tires in the 3rd period from all the Tryptophan in his system

Reactions: koleszar
125-Aquilar
165-Glasgow ..Turkey could upset here if SG can’t stay healthy
174-Grello
184-Janzer
197- Correnti
Hvy- Collucci

Not surprised if Vanbrill goes 157 as he looks big in the video.I think Glasgow might end up with a redshirt.Vulakh looks primed to start right out of the gates.

Thinking that if Glasgow is healthy that he goes 157 this year... He was very undersized at 165...

Reactions: koleszar
Thinking that if Glasgow is healthy that he goes 157 this year... He was very undersized at 165...
I have heard the undersized part before but I never really believed it. A tad below the average 165 pounder but bigger than someone I saw squeezing into 157 for very long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT