ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 Wrestling starting lineup ?

I could easily see him being finished with college after everything and simply moving on to his next venture in life. With that being said, I hope I'm wrong..
In that case he wouldn't need to redshirt. He'd just leave. The purpose of taking a redshirt is to preserve eligibility. So that would show he has every intention of returning. I think you can rest easy friend.

In that case he wouldn't need to redshirt. He'd just leave. The purpose of taking a redshirt is to preserve eligibility. So that would show he has every intention of returning. I think you can rest easy friend.
Or, it could just be keeping all options available. At this point, he probably isn't sure what will happen or where his head will be at in a year.

Good for Nick and will help with recruiting and our 20-21 year, but I'm not as optimistic as most others when it comes to our lineup. We may not have a ranked wrestler this year without Nick in the lineup. Our guys still have a lot of developing to do before I feel better about the future of the program

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Or, it could just be keeping all options available. At this point, he probably isn't sure what will happen or where his head will be at in a year.
I'll never say never, anything is possible, but there really is no evidence Nick doesn't want to come back for his final year of eligibility. At least nothing that I have seen or read.

He only has one year left. Some scenarios could play out. Takes full year off. Comes back second semester like Kyle Synder and just wrestles a couple matches before B1G's. I'm selfish and wanted to see him here at Rutgers in the finals of the B1G's. We're hosting and this might be our worst finish without him. But I get it, you just can't pass up a chance at the Olympics.
I realized later in the evening that he only has a year left, and figured someone would pick up on it--thanks. And part of me is disappointed that I won't be seeing him wrestle all year, and that this will be a step-back year for the program, but in the long run the program will be stronger. And as for a shot at the Olympics, he absolutely has to take that shot. We'll get to see him at RU at some point, so we have that to look forward to.

I realized later in the evening that he only has a year left, and figured someone would pick up on it--thanks. And part of me is disappointed that I won't be seeing him wrestle all year, and that this will be a step-back year for the program, but in the long run the program will be stronger. And as for a shot at the Olympics, he absolutely has to take that shot. We'll get to see him at RU at some point, so we have that to look forward to.
Imagine recruiting at RU if he wins gold at Tokyo. I'm on board with a down year this year if it means thinking long term and becoming an elite program every year after.

SO who wrestles 133 at the beginning of the year?
Do you risk Alvarez eating up a RS and having Suriano come back for second half of the season?

Does Malcolm Robinson go 133 until the halfway point and pull Alvarez RS in the second half if Nick does in fact qualify for the Olympic trials.

I would have to think Nick is good enough to qualify at 57 kg but you never know until they wrestle.

I could easily see him being finished with college after everything and simply moving on to his next venture in life. With that being said, I hope I'm wrong..
Seems odd, I mean even Kyle Snyder came back for his senior year for a shot at another National Championship. I can't recall any returning National Champion with eligibility left just throwing in the towel for noninjury related reasons. If there is, I can't remember a circumstance like that and if there was it's a very rare occurrence. These kids work their whole life for this moment and now he's just going to say, screw it I'm done?
Just seems like an odd scenario you presented.

Seems odd, I mean even Kyle Snyder came back for his senior year for a shot at another National Championship. I can't recall any returning National Champion with eligibility left just throwing in the towel for noninjury related reasons. If there is, I can't remember a circumstance like that and if there was it's a very rare occurrence. These kids work their whole life for this moment and now he's just going to say, screw it I'm done?
Just seems like an odd scenario you presented.
I think part of Snyder coming back was because TanTom thought that was his best chance for a team NC for at least a couple of years, not just Snyder's desire for another.

Here's something to think about regarding Suriano. Presumably, each qualifying tournament gets easier and easier, because the guys that qualify aren't going to compete, once they're qualified. So, if Nick doesn't qualify in December, two of his other qualifying opps are in March. He might try to decide which qualification path is easier: win the NCAA or train January to March for what should be the easiest qualifying tournament.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Olympic Freestyle weight classes - 57Kg, 65Kg, 74, 86kg, 97kg, 125kg. With 65 Kg=143.3 pounds, and 57Kg =125.7 pounds, Suriano is a bit of a 'tweener' since he was 133 last year. I'm guessing it's 65 Kg then, which puts him up against guys like Zain Retheferd, Yianni, Frank the Tank and others I may not be thinking of.

At 57Kg, (126pounds) he is up against Fix, and Gilman, much more manageable BUT I think at his age that weight might be close to impossible and still keep the strength needed to win.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Olympic Freestyle weight classes - 57Kg, 65Kg, 74, 86kg, 97kg, 125kg. With 65 Kg=143.3 pounds, and 57Kg =125.7 pounds, Suriano is a bit of a 'tweener' since he was 133 last year. I'm guessing it's 65 Kg then, which puts him up against guys like Zain Retheferd, Yianni, Frank the Tank and others I may not be thinking of.

At 57Kg, (126pounds) he is up against Fix, and Gilman, much more manageable BUT I think at his age that weight might be close to impossible and still keep the strength needed to win.
Write this down on a calendar...I agree with every point you make. There are no easy paths to the Olympics, for Nick or anyone else.

He will compete at 57kg.

Write this down on a calendar...I agree with every point you make. There are no easy paths to the Olympics, for Nick or anyone else.

If that's the case Suriano will need to cut to 57Kg to go against Fix and Gilman, as i do not see him beating James Green, Zain Retherford or Yianni,or even Anthony Ashnault at 74Kg. Will be interesting if Ashnault can get down that low now.

edit- I just noticed Obrats post above. Then i think Fix the slight favorite over Suriano based only on the fact Fix has a lot more FS experience. Gilman right in there too, maybe Graff as well.

Ashnault is going down to 143

That's great to hear ! He will have his hands full with James Green, Retherford , and Yianni, but if he's in top form and has a great Olypic trials, who knows? Even Frank the Tank and Ryan Deakin at that weight, i think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT