ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 Wrestling starting lineup ?

I have heard the undersized part before but I never really believed it. A tad below the average 165 pounder but bigger than someone I saw squeezing into 157 for very long.

You couldn't see the difference between a 165lb kid and a 165lb wrestler out there?

I have heard the undersized part before but I never really believed it. A tad below the average 165 pounder but bigger than someone I saw squeezing into 157 for very long.
I agree with @jerzey devil here. Glasgow was a very small 165 LB, when he stepped on the mat you could see the difference. Moves he usually would get were negated by the sheer strength and size of his opponent. No way was he ready to take on 165 LBs at the collegiate level last year.

Just got back from the Cedar Grove Bocce Singles Tournaments ( I advanced to the Quarters ! lol), and I distinctly remember Coach G in a podcast or video interview saying Glasgow wanted to remain at 165 (Coach G didn't sound thrilled). This is was from sometime in April or May, maybe even June.

Just got back from the Cedar Grove Bocce Singles Tournaments ( I advanced to the Quarters ! lol), and I distinctly remember Coach G in a podcast or video interview saying Glasgow wanted to remain at 165 (Coach G didn't sound thrilled). This is was from sometime in April or May, maybe even June.

Honestly I would rather hear it from the wrestler or wrestlers directly what weights they would prefer to wrestle.What the coaches would like to do compared to the wrestlers always differ.

Currently not listed on Rutgers Student database (public information), just surprised since he hasn’t shown much interest in freestyle over the last 4 years.

Rutgers updated their TrackWrestlimg lineup just yesterday and included Nick so that is odd if he is not enrolled at school this semester. We shall see soon enough.
Harley - I bet Suriano takes redshirt for 1st semester and then decides what he will do.
odd...
How can he take an Olympic redshirt as I've been told on here that he didn't qualify as he needed more than the national title? I guess he could take his regular redshirt, if he wanted, but why wouldn't he be enrolled?

You couldn't see the difference between a 165lb kid and a 165lb wrestler out there?

I agree with @jerzey devil here. Glasgow was a very small 165 LB, when he stepped on the mat you could see the difference. Moves he usually would get were negated by the sheer strength and size of his opponent. No way was he ready to take on 165 LBs at the collegiate level last year.

I'm just really stating my opinion. Between the 2 he looked less like a 157 body.
Side note: I was always amazed at how thick Marinello and Vincenzo seemed compared to most everyone else in the class so I'm not really comparing to either of them.

odd...
How can he take an Olympic redshirt as I've been told on here that he didn't qualify as he needed more than the national title? I guess he could take his regular redshirt, if he wanted, but why wouldn't he be enrolled?
Not taking an Olympic Redshirt, he can take a regular redshirt. Possibly to get ready to make a run at the olympics.

Reactions: Leonard23
I'm just really stating my opinion. Between the 2 he looked less like a 157 body.
Side note: I was always amazed at how thick Marinello and Vincenzo seemed compared to most everyone else in the class so I'm not really comparing to either of them.

Well in another month or so none of our opinions will matter as we find out what weight he goes at..lol.. IIRC I thought I had heard he was naturally 165ish.. But I could be wrong... Also remember that Glasgow is a little on the short side...

Reactions: rubigtimenow
When is the last time Suriano wrestled in a free style tournament? 6 years ago? I just don't get the vibe he's interested in wrestling Free Style anymore, even if he did the Beat the Streets one off.

I admit I have no inside info, just looking at what he has done the past 5-6 years.

Does suriano ever wrestle for RU-NJ again? I don’t think so.

Last edited:
Does suriano ever wrestle for RU-NJ again? I don’t think so. Sorry wrestling fans
"Sorry wrestling fans?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? Like that we're beneath you because we actually support a sport that is successful here?

Last edited:
Didn’t think it would trigger that sort of reaction , I changed it.
I’m a huge fan too. Just don’t think we’ll see him again. We were talking roster projections ...
Thank you for clarifying things. As I posted earlier, without tone to put things in perspective, it can sometimes sound differently than what was originally intended to sound like. It would be nice if we had some clarification on Suriano's status, perhaps from one of the mods.

Didn’t think it would trigger that sort of reaction , I changed it.
I’m a huge fan too. Just don’t think we’ll see him again. We were talking roster projections ...
So "Just don't think we'll see him again"? This is your opinion based on no outside information, right? If that's the case, wrestling fans disregard his post it's just an opinion.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
The way it was worded bothered me, plus I don't recall him posting on here. Sounded snarky. With no way to pick up on tone, who's to say it isn't?
7099 post so I think he has posted before and so what if he hasn’t ...since when is it not allowed to post just because someone is new ...take a chill pill ..you don’t own this forum ..there is gonna be many differences of opinion ..deal with it ...what you read into what he said was just plain ridiculous lol

The only way i see Suriano never wrestling for RU again would be injuries.
He is a warrior and loves the competition.
It is clear Nick has a plan (by most of his interviews)
I am looking forward to 2 more matches against DeSanto this year (or next year)

I am not sure if he would have a great career in MMA.
He might have the heart and tools, but he appears to "Bleed" easily.
That could be a detriment (more so in boxing)

Either way, wrestling season cannot start soon enough.

Deciding whether I will try to attend my first live wrestling match this year.
I enjoy watching the matches at home and interacting with fellow fans on boards.
Go RU

Deciding whether I will try to attend my first live wrestling match this year.
I enjoy watching the matches at home and interacting with fellow fans on boards.
Go RU
Have to go. No ifs and buts about it. You have to go at least once. Sitting amongst over 4,500 knowledgeable fans is fun as hell. There's no such thing as visiting fans taking over the crowd. The Ashnault vs Kolodzik match was absolutely bonkers. It's the fans which make it a top 5 atmosphere in the country, they're pretty intense and you can't help but get excited.

Word around the camp fire is that Nick is going to take a redshirt and train for the 2020 Olympics. Heard mumblings weeks ago but waited for news to start leaking.

Anybody else hear this? @wngarbarini @obrats ?
Pat Mineo broke the news. Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere else yet. Exciting news for Nick if true.

Pat Mineo broke the news. Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere else yet. Exciting news for Nick if true.

Nick will be taking an Olympic or redshirt - It seems more likely now.
He is probably going to wrestle for ITALY.He has all the makings of a Gold Medalist.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Looks like it’s going to be a tough year. Will we have any all Americans now that Suriano is redshirting?

Looks like it’s going to be a tough year. Will we have any all Americans now that Suriano is redshirting?
We were building for 2021 in any case, and the future from there forward is seriously bright. I'm okay with Nick redshirting since he'll be absurdly strong in his final year here, and we'll have our current recruits a year stronger and experienced. This is a wonderful move for a developing program.

Last edited:
I hope Nick actually returns to RU..I dont have a great feeling about this.
Why wouldn't he? This could be a big plus for RU. Marketing angle for recruits would be great if he makes the Olympic team and medals. Top blue chip recruits really care about the senior level and winning gold medals.

We were building for 2021 in any case, and the future from there forward is seriously bright. I'm okay with Nick redshirting since he'll be absurdly strong in his final two years here, and we'll have our current recruits a year stronger and experienced. This is a wonderful move for a developing program.
He only has one year left. Some scenarios could play out. Takes full year off. Comes back second semester like Kyle Synder and just wrestles a couple matches before B1G's. I'm selfish and wanted to see him here at Rutgers in the finals of the B1G's. We're hosting and this might be our worst finish without him. But I get it, you just can't pass up a chance at the Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT