ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Wrestling Predictions

Who the heck remembers a Rider Coach's tweets from 2-4 years ago? lol. 3 people? lol , how many followers can a Rider coach possibly have? How many of the 40,000 NJ HS fans that flock to Atlantic City every March might be interested to see 2 D1 NJ teams wrestle with NJ HS stars that won or placed at AC? I think plenty.. How many would know of the Rider Coach's tweets from 2-4 years ago? I say no more than 2, LOL.
Do you want to grow interest? Sell some tickets? Or hold a twitter grudge from 2-4 years ago, that extremely few people are even aware of ? I've followed RU Wrestling closely for about 10 years now, before that casually for a long time, and honestly, I don't know what the F the Rider coach even tweeted. I don't even know his name!
People remember, especially our coaches and wrestlers. And it was more than just some tweets and got very nasty. 40,000 people don't go to AC. You're lucky if it's half of that as most of the same people go to multiple sessions. Rutgers wrestling Rider won't grow any interest or sell any more tickets than wrestling many of the other teams I posted.
I think he has a lot of good things to say, its a shame people don't want to listen.
Who wants to listen to someone that's condescending, talks out of both sides of his mouth, throws around erroneous info as facts, and continues to pound his fist that Rutgers must wrestle Rider to save wrestling? That drowns out any meaningful info or discussion.

OMFG, so simplistic minds were supposed to read all of the non-highlighted words into your message? Okaaay.

However, there's this thing called Google that allows you to search all kinds of information. It's great, you should try it.

The Big Ten initiated a study in 2009 to determine what schools it should consider for expansion. In late February/early March 2010, parts of the study, done by William Blair and Co., a Chicago investment firm, were leaked to the media, and they indicated that the teams that the Big Ten should target for expansion should be Rutgers, Pitt, Missouri, Syracuse and Notre Dame. Notre Dame was last on the list, because they turned the B1G down in 1999, and some were still butthurt over it.

Do you really not give your Rutgers leadership enough credit to think that as soon as they heard they were on that list, they didn't start selling themselves and talking to the Big Ten? And, that they started laying the foundation for membership, if it was offered?

No, you're probably right, Delany probably just waves his magic wand and stuff magically appears overnight. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do you have a link to the site you're referencing? I wasn't able to find much about the results of that study.

Yup - well said. And while I know Pernetti favored wrestling, given all that has transpired SINCE, had Rutgers not been admitted to the B10, wrestling would likely have not survived.

Water under the bridge - it was saved. It just serves as a reminder this sport is under attack, and there is no room for schools not helping other schools.

So I'll issue a general comment - someone tell me why Rutgers NOT wrestling Rider is GOOD for the sport and for the school?

Also, enlighten me as to WHY Rutgers doesn't want to wrestle Rider?

From my point of view, I question the wisdom of giving Rider access to the RAC, a Big Ten program, and to another match within NJ each year. I would rather they not have that to sell when we go head to head with them for recruits. This is just my point of view.

I see Princeton as the ideal in state matchup because by and large we are not targeting the same kids. I think there is a lot of overlap with Rider. As we improve and hopefully solidify ourselves in the top half of the Big Ten, I think that starts to go away, and wrestling Rider becomes a win-win.

I've admittedly never really thought of it how you say. Which is that if we aren't selfish about it, perhaps more kids would stay in state if we had better in state rivalries, and perhaps the rising tide would lift all 3 schools to a higher level. Perhaps, for example, the annual rivalry between Rider and Rutgers results in a kid like Kinner choosing Rutgers (or Rider) over OSU. I could see that. It may help build more state pride within the sport. I am not sure, but I see what you are saying.

Reactions: rdefabri
The same could be said for the other two also. Spencer Lee is very good,as are Fix and Nick. Any of the three could beat each other on any given day. IMO

OSU has a bit of predicament since they have strong returning wrestlers at 125 and 133 in addition to bringing Fix into the Mix. Should be interesting.

From my point of view, I question the wisdom of giving Rider access to the RAC, a Big Ten program, and to another match within NJ each year. I would rather they not have that to sell when we go head to head with them for recruits. This is just my point of view.

I see Princeton as the ideal in state matchup because by and large we are not targeting the same kids. I think there is a lot of overlap with Rider. As we improve and hopefully solidify ourselves in the top half of the Big Ten, I think that starts to go away, and wrestling Rider becomes a win-win.

I've admittedly never really thought of it how you say. Which is that if we aren't selfish about it, perhaps more kids would stay in state if we had better in state rivalries, and perhaps the rising tide would lift all 3 schools to a higher level. Perhaps, for example, the annual rivalry between Rider and Rutgers results in a kid like Kinner choosing Rutgers (or Rider) over OSU. I could see that. It may help build more state pride within the sport. I am not sure, but I see what you are saying.

I can see where there might be concern about recruits, but I think the better recruits are going to Rutgers. Rider might have an edge on the PA or NJ recruit that goes "under the radar". They have a good class with Joe Casey and Chris Wright, but nothing like the class Rutgers or Princeton are getting.

The B10 association is huge - nothing against the EWL, but the best wrestlers want to wrestle in the best conference.

[QUOTE="rdefabri, post: 3237756, member: 52474"]I know - I'm a complete idiot, why did I say that? It's clear I don't know anything, maybe I should just go back to the Rider or Seton Hall forums, right [/QUOTE]

I think you'd do everyone a favor here if you did. No one here cares what you have to say.

The details of what he said earlier , the stuff that everyone jumped all over him for , are irrelevant . Who saved the program and when,is not the important part of his post. It's about parochialism and how it can hurt wrestling, a sport that is hanging on by a thread in many places (one of the first sports a school cuts when there is budget pressure). He argues that the wrestling community can help the sport by supporting each other . He is not wrong .

Sports are great because of competition - facing an opponent and beating them. This whole thing about not giving another team a platform to get better and how we should try to strangle programs like rider... or in football, schools like Syracuse, Boston college and temple, is just weak and is a Business thing, not a sports thing.

We keep looking at sports through the business lens, and then wonder why so many transfers and firings are happening. We're training our youth to be selfish.

Anyway - bring on Rider

Reactions: rdefabri
I guess I'm in minority here, but I always wanted to see RU vs Rider match up. I liked it before, and I'll like now. It's 10x more fun for me to see NJ wrestlers I've followed in highschool going against each other than wrestling Lock Haven or Hofstra.
Why does it matter if the opponent has NJ wrestlers? I don't see how that's more exciting.
The details of what he said earlier , the stuff that everyone jumped all over him for , are irrelevant . Who saved the program and when,is not the important part of his post. It's about parochialism and how it can hurt wrestling, a sport that is hanging on by a thread in many places (one of the first sports a school cuts when there is budget pressure). He argues that the wrestling community can help the sport by supporting each other . He is not wrong .

Sports are great because of competition - facing an opponent and beating them. This whole thing about not giving another team a platform to get better and how we should try to strangle programs like rider... or in football, schools like Syracuse, Boston college and temple, is just weak and is a Business thing, not a sports thing.

We keep looking at sports through the business lens, and then wonder why so many transfers and firings are happening. We're training our youth to be selfish.

Anyway - bring on Rider
Not wrestling Rider wasn't a business decision. They were classless, disrespectful assholes. No need to wrestle a school that acts like that.

Why does it matter if the opponent has NJ wrestlers? I don't see how that's more exciting.
Not wrestling Rider wasn't a business decision. They were classless, disrespectful assholes. No need to wrestle a school that acts like that.

If they were classless, then let's kick their ass. What's with this "taking my ball and going home" stuff? Are we from NJ or what? Let's face our issues and enemies and rivals and whatever other obstacles exist head on. Coach Goodale, go shake hands with the Rider guys and let's get this thing going. After we beat them, shake hands and keep it moving

This is EXACTLY why do not want to schedule FCS Monmouth. Those kids would be out to prove something and they'd have to play dirty and douchey to do so.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I never saw the tweeter from the past, and I don't care. And I'm sure the RU coaching staff don't care about that either.

I don't think there are any school outside of RU and Rider that have more NJ wrestlers in their starting lineup. As a NJ wrestling fan (although i live near philly now), I just like to see them wrestle against each other, much more so than hostra or lock haven. It's just more fun for me, and a lot of people share that sentiment.

I never saw the tweeter from the past, and I don't care. And I'm sure the RU coaching staff don't care about that either.

Agree with this, but wouldn't have any way of knowing. I'm sure WNG would have a better handle on knowing if the staff holds some hard feelings.

From my perspective, if I had to venture an educated opinion, Goodale may not like the risk/reward proposition wrestling Rider entails. Rider has everything to gain and nothing to lose in the matchup. If/when we win, we were supposed to, being the big ten school and state university of NJ. Having said that, I'd still like to see this as an annual event. To be 100% against this dual due to a couple tweets years back seems a little vindictive to me, but to each his own.

Agree with this, but wouldn't have any way of knowing. I'm sure WNG would have a better handle on knowing if the staff holds some hard feelings.

From my perspective, if I had to venture an educated opinion, Goodale may not like the risk/reward proposition wrestling Rider entails. Rider has everything to gain and nothing to lose in the matchup. If/when we win, we were supposed to, being the big ten school and state university of NJ. Having said that, I'd still like to see this as an annual event. To be 100% against this dual due to a couple tweets years back seems a little vindictive to me, but to each his own.
I think everyone is putting too much emphasis on this hypothetical Rutgers vs. Rider matchup.

First of all, any wrestler with a future in college wrestling will choose Rutgers over Rider. If you followed recruiting over the past few years, all the top talent staying in state have chosen Rutgers and the rest have trickled down to Rider(No knock on Rider, still have produced AAs). Just like Lehigh, Rider will get recruits overlooked by the B1G schools that want to still wrestle competitively.

Top college recruits will want the B1G atmosphere, ability to wrestle one of the best schedules, and always a possibility to get to the National tourney. And after Rider's graduating class this season, I see no issue with Rutgers beating them home or away.

I think everyone has moved on from whatever this infamous tweet was. Rider is still a top program in the EWL and Rutgers has the possibility to have multiple AAs next season. I'm interested to see if Suriano stays at 125 or bumps up to 133.

Reactions: belushijo
I think everyone is putting too much emphasis on this hypothetical Rutgers vs. Rider matchup.

First of all, any wrestler with a future in college wrestling will choose Rutgers over Rider. If you followed recruiting over the past few years, all the top talent staying in state have chosen Rutgers and the rest have trickled down to Rider(No knock on Rider, still have produced AAs). Just like Lehigh, Rider will get recruits overlooked by the B1G schools that want to still wrestle competitively.

Top college recruits will want the B1G atmosphere, ability to wrestle one of the best schedules, and always a possibility to get to the National tourney. And after Rider's graduating class this season, I see no issue with Rutgers beating them home or away.

I think everyone has moved on from whatever this infamous tweet was. Rider is still a top program in the EWL and Rutgers has the possibility to have multiple AAs next season. I'm interested to see if Suriano stays at 125 or bumps up to 133.

Don't disagree with anything here. Well thought out post. I'd only like to add that Rider basically used to be on the schedule every year (or close to it) so I think a lot of us would just enjoy picking the rivalry up where it left off. Don't want to speak for everyone, but those of us who are in favor aren't losing any sleep over not having Rider on the schedule (nor am I accusing you of saying anything of the sort). Would just be a fun dual, with a lot of Jersey vs. Jersey matchups, which is always a good time! Personally, I support it just for the entertainment aspect of being able to watch a whole bunch of Jersey guys I've followed since their high school days.

Don't disagree with anything here. Well thought out post. I'd only like to add that Rider basically used to be on the schedule every year (or close to it) so I think a lot of us would just enjoy picking the rivalry up where it left off. Don't want to speak for everyone, but those of us who are in favor aren't losing any sleep over not having Rider on the schedule (nor am I accusing you of saying anything of the sort). Would just be a fun dual, with a lot of Jersey vs. Jersey matchups, which is always a good time! Personally, I support it just for the entertainment aspect of being able to watch a whole bunch of Jersey guys I've followed since their high school days.
Couldn't agree more! Nothing better than seeing matchups of past Jersey State Champs/medalists. And it's great to promote wrestling in-state overall. I think it wouldn't hurt either program, but would be beneficial.

Under Coach Sacchi, Rider was the better wrestling program. It's a testament to Goodale that we have reversed that trend to the point where it's clear we are the better program.

Under Coach Sacchi, Rider was the better wrestling program. It's a testament to Goodale that we have reversed that trend to the point where it's clear we are the better program.
Under Sacchi, we funded 2.9 to 4.4 of the 9.9 scholarships available and only at in-state tuition levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Boys
That's true, but Goodale's early success helped the AD believe in this program and get it to the point where it got fully funded.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Word on the street is good chance Suriano goes 133 next year... I feel more confident in a matchup wit gross or Micic then I do Lee or Fix

Word on the street is good chance Suriano goes 133 next year... I feel more confident in a matchup wit gross or Micic then I do Lee or Fix

Lee is a very stout 125#..no guarantee he doesn't move up as well. Either way, NS wont be running away from anybody..

Lee is a very stout 125#..no guarantee he doesn't move up as well. Either way, NS wont be running away from anybody..
NS doesn’t run away from anyone. He made this clear in his interviews. Either way, I want NS to wrestle at the weight he will wrestle his best at

Lee is a career 125. Fix may go 133. Fix is as good or better than Lee. Nick has beaten both of them. Fix is the guy to beat for the next 4 years. His nuetral game can allow him to catch and release really anyone. Check out his world age level freestyle.

Nick isn’t ducking them but when I watched their epic who’s #1 match (30 minutes of exciting wrestling. It’s on YouTube. Make the time) I thought fix was as good or better than nick technically.

Our boy will be fine in either weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT