ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports 2020-21 NCAA banner to be unveiled

ChrisNalwasky

All American
Staff
Mar 25, 2018
PISCATAWAY, N.J. - The Rutgers Men's basketball program will honor the 2020-21 team at the home opener against Lehigh at Jersey Mike's Arena on Wednesday night.

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats 40 minutes before the game's tipoff at 7:01 p.m. to see the brand-new banner that will be unveiled approximately at 6:41 p.m.

The team will unveil the 2020-21 NCAA Tournament banner, which will hang in the rafters during the 2021-22 season. The banner commemorates the achievements of the 2020-21 program advancing to its first March Madness in 30 years.

Head coach Steve Pikiell led the Scarlet Knights program to new heights last season when RU returned to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1991 and won its first tournament game since 1983, with a 63-60 victory over Clemson in the first round.

The Scarlet Knights' win over No. 7 seeded Tigers in the opening round, marked the highest-seeded team defeated in the NCAA Tournament since 1979, before falling to an eventual Final Four team in No. 2 seed Houston.

The men's basketball program will also hold a special moment to honor senior small forward Ron Harper Jr., who scored his 1,000th-point during last season's Big Ten Tournament. Harper Jr. averaged a career-high 14.9 points during his junior season.

Harper Jr. has already accumulated national preseason recognition heading into his last year as a Scarlet Knight. He was listed on the Basketball Hall of Fame's 2021-22 Julius Irving Award Watch List, and award given to the nation's best small forward. Harper Jr. was also selected to the Big Ten's 2021-22 Preseason First-Team.

Another reminder to fans attending the home opener is that the matchup is sold out. Rutgers will implement an alternate traffic pattern for the game. Fans are encouraged to arrive early, as increased traffic volume may delay ingress and egress.

Consistent with University policy, Rutgers Athletics encourages all patrons, fans and spectators to these events be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Face coverings are required for indoor events as the University continues to uphold health and safety practices in accordance with campus, local and state guidelines.

Fans are asked to always wear a mask – unless eating or drinking – during their time within the facility. You will not be able to enter the facility without a proper face covering.

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats 40 minutes before the game's tipoff at 7:01 p.m.
Unfortunately, due to traffic, a sizable portion of fans will be lucky to be inside the building four minutes, rather than 40, prior to tipoff. Getting there early isn't an option when coming straight from work.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early, as increased traffic volume may delay ingress and egress.
This is odd; not the ingress, but why would you need to ARRIVE early to avoid egress? They wouldn't dare suggest leaving early! Even if we're up by over 40 with 10 minutes to play!

Reactions: kcg88
This is odd; not the ingress, but why would you need to ARRIVE early to avoid egress? They wouldn't dare suggest leaving early! Even if we're up by over 40 with 10 minutes to play!
Because students and faculty are egressing at the same time fans are ingressing. And, no, I don't know if those are actual words.

40-minutes prior to tip? And WHY does this need to be done 20-minutes prior? Shouldn't this be done right after the starting lineups are announced? Silly, IMHO.
Guess TV (BTN+) doesn't want the delay.. which is just stupid but probably in the contract (that is, it is stupid for a streamed game.. for BTN network games.. they have a schedule to keep.. tho, I suppose, there is a price to them in data over the stream)

Funny thing is they will film it and use a clip during some kind of show later.

Really kinda sucks that the first game back in 20 months and 8 months after our first NCAA tournament appearance in forever is relegated to streaming that no one will see.

Reactions: RUonBrain
40-minutes prior to tip? And WHY does this need to be done 20-minutes prior? Shouldn't this be done right after the starting lineups are announced? Silly, IMHO.
Not silly at all IMHO. Pike and the team are striving for much better than making the NCAAs.

Does Seton Hall celebrate making the tournament 5 minutes before the season starts?

Not silly at all IMHO. Pike and the team are striving for much better than making the NCAAs.

Does Seton Hall celebrate making the tournament 5 minutes before the season starts?
I think you completely misunderstand what I’m saying. If it were up to me I wouldn’t even hang a banner for an individual tournament appearance. I honestly think that’s silly itself.

I think you completely misunderstand what I’m saying. If it were up to me I wouldn’t even hang a banner for an individual tournament appearance. I honestly think that’s silly itself.
I sort of understand. For those who want to see the banner come early. Pike probably doesn’t want a distraction 1 minute before the season starts

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Oh he will one day I’d guess!
A statue of a giant hoagie is more likely.
20180221_113700.jpg

Reactions: RW90 and AreYouNUTS
For the record I am OK with the banner. For us fans it is a huge accomplishment and worthy of celebration. Pike should get a statue outside the RAC
I think individual banners for every appearance seems lame. A single banner listing every appearance is fine and special banners for Sweet 16 or better seems legit.

how can i be my seat early when i have to wait in line for 15 minutes to piss because there are only 2 bathrooms in the entire arena

how can i be my seat early when i have to wait in line for 15 minutes to piss because there are only 2 bathrooms in the entire arena
PRO TIP.......Know when media timeouts are and the minute you hear the whistle you are gone. You will have plenty of time to be back in your seat unless you are in 300s or are doing more than #1

I am all for raising the banner. I just think this should be done at halftime. At the same time they introduce the first big 10 championship team and both number 1 seeds.

PRO TIP.......Know when media timeouts are and the minute you hear the whistle you are gone. You will have plenty of time to be back in your seat unless you are in 300s or are doing more than #1
This is great advice for fans who have an aisle seat (like me 😎). However, if your seat is in the middle of a row and you are at the beck & call of those in your row to get to the aisle, chances are you won't be back in your seat until the ball is in play again following the timeout.

This is great advice for fans who have an aisle seat (like me 😎). However, if your seat is in the middle of a row and you are at the beck & call of those in your row to get to the aisle, chances are you won't be back in your seat until the ball is in play again following the timeout.
A little role play……Jaden Jones makes a 3. turn to the guy next to you and say “What a sweet stroke, by the way next whistle I am going to use the mens room.” It is like dominos. Once the guy next to you stands they will all stand, unless they are on social media and not paying attention.

By the Maine game your row mates will know how you roll and will look for you to make your move at the appropriate time.

A little role play……Jaden Jones makes a 3. turn to the guy next to you and say “What a sweet stroke, by the way next whistle I am going to use the mens room.” It is like dominos. Once the guy next to you stands they will all stand, unless they are on social media and not paying attention.

By the Maine game your row mates will know how you roll and will look for you to make your move at the appropriate time.
And, if you go frequently, they may recommend a good urologist.

more PRO pro tip..

• College men: At the first dead ball after 4-minute intervals (beyond the 16:00, 12:00, 8:00, and 4:00 minute mark of each half).[2] Additionally, the first 30-second team timeout in the second half is expanded to a television timeout.[citation needed] If free throws are to be shot, a timeout is taken first.[citation needed] Effective with the 2015–16 season, when a team calls a timeout within the 30-second window before the next scheduled TV timeout break, the called timeout takes the place of the scheduled TV timeout.[3] A similar rule in the NBA is used when a 20-second timeout is called but a team's mandatory timeout point has been reached.[2]
US Astronaut Lisa Nowak pro tip:

35456and8-DependFittedBrief-I-35458-CN-BI-01_300x.jpg

PISCATAWAY, N.J. - The Rutgers Men's basketball program will honor the 2020-21 team at the home opener against Lehigh at Jersey Mike's Arena on Wednesday night.

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats 40 minutes before the game's tipoff at 7:01 p.m. to see the brand-new banner that will be unveiled approximately at 6:41 p.m.

The team will unveil the 2020-21 NCAA Tournament banner, which will hang in the rafters during the 2021-22 season. The banner commemorates the achievements of the 2020-21 program advancing to its first March Madness in 30 years.

Head coach Steve Pikiell led the Scarlet Knights program to new heights last season when RU returned to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1991 and won its first tournament game since 1983, with a 63-60 victory over Clemson in the first round.

The Scarlet Knights' win over No. 7 seeded Tigers in the opening round, marked the highest-seeded team defeated in the NCAA Tournament since 1979, before falling to an eventual Final Four team in No. 2 seed Houston.

The men's basketball program will also hold a special moment to honor senior small forward Ron Harper Jr., who scored his 1,000th-point during last season's Big Ten Tournament. Harper Jr. averaged a career-high 14.9 points during his junior season.

Harper Jr. has already accumulated national preseason recognition heading into his last year as a Scarlet Knight. He was listed on the Basketball Hall of Fame's 2021-22 Julius Irving Award Watch List, and award given to the nation's best small forward. Harper Jr. was also selected to the Big Ten's 2021-22 Preseason First-Team.

Another reminder to fans attending the home opener is that the matchup is sold out. Rutgers will implement an alternate traffic pattern for the game. Fans are encouraged to arrive early, as increased traffic volume may delay ingress and egress.

Consistent with University policy, Rutgers Athletics encourages all patrons, fans and spectators to these events be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Face coverings are required for indoor events as the University continues to uphold health and safety practices in accordance with campus, local and state guidelines.

Fans are asked to always wear a mask – unless eating or drinking – during their time within the facility. You will not be able to enter the facility without a proper face covering.

It should be so loud when the banner is unveiled that the roof comes off the building

It's only been 30 years...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT