ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NBA Draft - key dates and events

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
This is turning into an annual thread on here. We're a program full on draft watch each year.

• Early Entry Deadline: April 23rd
  • G-League Elite Camp: May 13th - 14th
  • NBA Combine: May 15th - 21st
  • NCAA Early Entry Withdrawal: May 31st
  • 2023 NBA Draft: June 22nd

Reactions: GORU2014 and cm_13
NBA Combine invites will start to leak about a week before (early May).
It's usually approx 100 people.

Generally if you aren't even invited to the Combine, then you aren't getting drafted.
In 2021 RHJ wasn't invited, but still waited until the last minute to withdraw.

Hopefully we don't have to wait that long on Clif - one way or another.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Here is the full list of Early Entry candidates.
242 players for a total of 60 draft picks.
Just to put some perspective on how "declaring" for the draft has little to no correlation to being drafted. 95% of the declarations are for show.

Note: this doesn't even include graduating college players- such as Caleb.

https://olympics.com/en/news/2023-nba-draft-victor-wembanyama-early-entry-candidates-complete-list
242 players are declaring for roughly 40 spots. Roughly 20 spots will go to foreign players.

Reactions: NickRU714
Draft lottery happening now.

Picks 6-14 go as planned.
Dallas keeps #10. Orlando gets #11 from Chicago.
Detroit dropped to #5.

Wembanyama going to Houston, San Antonio, Charlotte or Portland.

Spurs win it!
Robinson to Duncan to Victor!
Another French Connection for San Antonio.

Charlotte with #2 and likely Scoot Henderson or Brandon Miller.

Will be interesting to see what Portland does with the 3rd pick. Use the pick and go for the future or trade it to compete with the time Dame has left.

It seemed pretty obvious to me before the lottery took place that the Spurs would win it. I even predicted it on twitter. The NBA is rewarding the Spurs for being a stand up organization with a strong history of winning. Robinson to Duncan to Wemby.

It seemed pretty obvious to me before the lottery took place that the Spurs would win it. I even predicted it on twitter. The NBA is rewarding the Spurs for being a stand up organization with a strong history of winning. Robinson to Duncan to Wemby.

Afterwards I had the same thought.
Definitely makes sense they would win.

Draft is underway!!

Not too many surprises so far.

Interesting that the top 7 picks only included 2 NCAA players:
2 France
1 G League
2 Overtime Elite
2 College Freshman

G League/OTE may not have the “tv” that college basketball does but that’s not impacting draft status it seems.

Jett Howard goes #11 overall
Big Ten Freshman Of The Year

As a reminder, HC Pike just said GG would compete for Big Ten Freshman Of The Year next year

Edit - I’m dumb. JHS win the award not Jett.

Last edited:
Duke C Derek Lively II goes #12
So much for the Duke turning him into a draft disappointment and not lottery pick like some said.

So many “draft experts” on the board.

So Slappy Howard lost his backcourt (Howard and Bufkin) in the top 20 picks of the NBA draft and arguably one of the best college centers (Dickinson) to the portal and didn’t make the NCAA tournament. What a terrible coaching job he did.

#19 overall Brandin Podziemski from Santa Clara

Santa Clara has back to back 1st round picks??
WTF??

Draft is underway!!

Not too many surprises so far.

Interesting that the top 7 picks only included 2 NCAA players:
2 France
1 G League
2 Overtime Elite
2 College Freshman

G League/OTE may not have the “tv” that college basketball does but that’s not impacting draft status it seems.
Mock for next year from nbadraftroom.com has G-League/France/G-League/Kentucky/Spain as the top 5

Duke C Derek Lively II goes #12
So much for the Duke turning him into a draft disappointment and not lottery pick like some said.

So many “draft experts” on the board.

And Dariq Whitehead goes #22 to Brooklyn Nets
Both Duke freshman in 1st round

1st round over
Big Ten has 5 picks
#11 Jett Howard (Michigan)
#15 Kobe Bufkin (Michigan)
#17 Jalen Hood-Schafino (Indiana)
#23 Kris Murray (Iowa)
#29 Brice Sensabough (Ohio State)

Not a bad showing.

Notable undrafted:

just about every center
Drew Timme
Adama Sonogo
Oscar Tshiebwe (2022 Best Center in CBB winner)
Ivy League star Tosan Evbuomwan
March Madness assist king Markquis Nowell (he's reportedly 5'8"??)

Note - Jordan Dingle missing from the list of draftees isn't an oversight. He withdrew his name last month after not getting a Combine invite, G-League camp invite or appearing on any mock draft ever.

Last edited:
20 of 58 picks were college freshman

1st round: 15
2nd round: 5

This is why people saying "only a handful of players are one and done" when Gavin or even Ace/Harper are brought up is foolish.

Note - this doesn't even include those who stayed in the draft but went undrafted.

So much for the Big Ten being a poor league. We had 5 guys drafted in the first round and the Big East only had Hawkins of Connecticut. The Big Ten had at least 3 more in round two with Pickett at # 32, Lundy at # 46 and Jackson Davis at # 58. The Big had more first rounders I believe than any league.

So much for the Big Ten being a poor league. We had 5 guys drafted in the first round and the Big East only had Hawkins of Connecticut. The Big Ten had at least 3 more in round two with Pickett at # 32, Lundy at # 46 and Jackson Davis at # 58. The Big had more first rounders I believe than any league.
Cam Whitmore of Villanova was drafted #20. Was top 10 in some mocks.
Uconn's Andre Jackson went #36 (2nd round)
Also 3 picks from UCLA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT