ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NBA Draft (key dates, rumors, predictions)

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
2022 NBA Draft
June 23, 2022
Barclays Center
Brooklyn, NY

Key Dates:
Underclassmen Entry Deadline: April 24th
G-League Elite Camp: May 13th-15th
NBA Draft Combine: May 16th-22nd
NBA Draft Lottery: May 17th

Underclassmen Withdrawal Deadline: June 1st

Rutgers-related: Ron Harper Jr., Caleb McConnell and Jaden Jones have declared as underclassmen.
None seem to have a 1st round draft grade (i.e. guaranteed contract).
With a 2nd round-undrafted grade, would they gamble on staying in the draft or return for another year?
They can't hurt their draft stock by returning (can't get lower than 2nd round-undrafted).

Draft Combine and G-League Elite Camp invites should start coming out in early May.
This will be a big predictor of if they stay in the draft or not.

Last edited:
A key point people may not realize.

Declaring for the Draft is a 2 step process.
  1. Request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. This must be done no later than April 14th. Usually feedback is given within 7-10 days. All feedback will be given by April 24th (early entry deadline).
    They give a general projection:
    • Lottery (1-14)
    • 1st Round outside of Lottery (15-30)
    • 1st half of 2nd Round (31-45)
    • 2nd half of 2nd Round (46-60)
    • Not drafted
  2. After receiving feedback from the UAC, you officially declare for the NBA draft.

This means that RHJ, Caleb and Jaden (and other early entrants) already have a general idea of their draft projections.
However, after making such a grand display of "declaring for the draft" no player ever "withdraws from the draft" this early.
Have to save face and play it out for a while.

How accurate is all this. If I am in an organization and I like a player that is “under the radar” I am not going to tell the world how good I think the player is.

Reactions: NickRU714
How accurate is all this. If I am in an organization and I like a player that is “under the radar” I am not going to tell the world how good I think the player is.

I generally take all "mock drafts" (NY Giants select OL X with pick 5) as pure fiction.
As you said, why would any team let anyone know who they actually want.

I think general projections are more reliable (solid early 1st round vs 2nd round).
Because it's not specific to any team but more a general consensus among multiple teams and not based on individual rankings by a team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT