ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting 2024 PG Dellquan Warren decommits

It’s not professional sports.
But as I told Nick…please enjoy

Why not?
Because decades ago someone said "amatuer" out loud?

Big Ten Conference makes $1b a year in just media revenue - for 14 schools.More than the NHL does for their national TV package.

Coaches sign multi million dollar contracts.
Rutgers AD budget spends over $100m a year.

If it sounds like a duck and acts like a duck.....

Now that observation is totally delusional. He ‘s very good but this is what happens when people start celebrating verbals 4-6 12 -24 months before the kid signs. Thinking back how ecstatic the feelings were on here and on the podcasts. Rutgers is just one of many who will need to act or just put all $$$$ into football … then pray it’s close.
How is it delusional? I watched the games. I don't care what everyone else was saying.

Reactions: GRU23
Stop what?
Saying that flips have always occurred?
Sorry for the bad news - literally on this site here are just a couple of threads - before the dreaded NIL.
And this doesn't even include the Round Table threads that are behind the pay wall.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/will-we-get-at-least-one-kid-to-flip-to-ru.201043/
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/big-flip-for-maryland.184353/
So you’re saying it’s the same amount of flipping as pre NIL?

Why not?
Because decades ago someone said "amatuer" out loud?

Big Ten Conference makes $1b a year in just media revenue - for 14 schools.More than the NHL does for their national TV package.

Coaches sign multi million dollar contracts.
Rutgers AD budget spends over $100m a year.

If it sounds like a duck and acts like a duck.....
I said enjoy, why are you arguing with me
To me there’s an enormous difference and you won’t change my mind.

Reactions: NickRU714
Pay for play is not NIL
I guess you can make a distinction, but the constitution gives individuals pretty broad latitude for what they can do with their money. If people want to give college athletes money for going to a particular college, I don’t really see this as something the Supreme Court would have any problem with.

Pay for play is not NIL

I’m all for rules and transparency surrounding this. I’ve said before that I recognize:that the schools make an investment in the players and there should be some obligation to the schools. Firm up the transfer rule and put tampering rules in place, something the NCAA could have done had they not been so boneheaded to let it get to the SC. Now it’s trying to have congress legislate on NIL. I think it’ll stabilize after the first few million dollar players end up busts. Given the demographics and volume of commerce in our area, it’s hard not to think NIL won’t be a net positive long term.

You’d think a fanbase that nearly watched one of our guys die on the field would have a better perspective regarding the players.

I’m all for rules and transparency surrounding this. I’ve said before that I recognize:that the schools make an investment in the players and there should be some obligation to the schools. Firm up the transfer rule and put tampering rules in place, something the NCAA could have done had they not been so boneheaded to let it get to the SC. Now it’s trying to have congress legislate on NIL. I think it’ll stabilize after the first few million dollar players end up busts. Given the demographics and volume of commerce in our area, it’s hard not to think NIL won’t be a net positive long term.

You’d think a fanbase that nearly watched one of our guys die on the field would have a better perspective regarding the players.
Dumb last paragraph

Reactions: colbert17
What were teh initials of that Fab 4 we were going to get many years ago.. something like GRIF? Anyway.. we've been down this road before.. after basketball season.. all the hangers-on and the dark net of the recruiting world starts chirping in their ears... and this time you add in NIL money "LEGALLY" being tossed around...

..well, looks like I picked the wrong month to give up drugs and booze.

Did anyone from this board honestly think this type of fiasco wouldn’t happen once it became legal ? Go back with all the back n forth of why it was needed, why it was a good thing, how these poor children weren’t getting their fair cut? Why a scholarship wasn’t enough and kids needed some spending loot.? College NIL is not what most fans thought it was. And to be believing that kids today have moral values based upon a relationship over time? Wait … more bad news is coming especially in basketball. As another put it . 4-5* players verbal then get a bag full of cash. 3* players develop and after say 2-3 years they get a nice bag of cash. Over the past 22 years ( after my sons were out on their own) my donations and ticket buying was better than decent.After Ash 2018 I said I’ll wait to get back to tickets and fund raisers. .These last several weeks has made future donations a B1G question mark. . . . let’s see if my man Ace and Dylan change my opinion.

I don’t think it could be understated how important is is for this program to have Cliff next year.

The sky officially falls if he isn’t in uniform.

No matter where one directs their donation to go Rutgers still needs to do a better job . On the field or court, on the facilities improvements and the direct messaging to the fan base. RU fans need to face the reality that as a up and coming major D-1 school, in a 1st tier conference , we are still in our infancy stage.vs our conference opponents.

Reactions: NickRU714
That’s a fact our fanbase thinks a die hard is a person who posts a hundred times a day. Every fundraiser we have had to better the teams has been met with zero enthusiasm and is instead mocked and argued about.
So you can't be a diehard fan unless you contribute dollars to the cause of directly paying players even if you philosophically disagree with concept?

You are right we don't have a lot of fans that will contribute to such an endeavor but I could have told you that when this paradigm shift first occurred. Just look at the overall size of the endowment.

If the fans are going to be increasingly responsible the success of RU athletics than we are in deep do do. It ironic that the academics, facilities, conference affiliation and coaches seem to matter less but the size of bag is increasingly the determining factor. Completely unsustainable IMO.

So you can't be a diehard fan unless you contribute dollars to the cause of directly paying players even if you philosophically disagree with concept?

You are right we don't have a lot of fans that will contribute to such an endeavor but I could have told you that when this paradigm shift first occurred. Just look at the overall size of the endowment.

If the fans are going to be increasingly responsible the success of RU athletics than we are in deep do do. It ironic that the academics, facilities, conference affiliation and coaches seem to matter less but the size of bag is increasingly the determining factor. Completely unsustainable IMO.
I agree it’s not a good system but it’s the system that is in place. The fanbase has its opportunity to make sure we can compete but fails miserably because of how cheap it is. If it was not for the few big donors we have Ace and Dylan would not possibly be coming here. Why can’t the rest of the fanbase step up so we don’t lose guys? The complaining is stupid because you can actually do something about it. Other fanbases can but this one can’t. The money is there because the threads and many of dumb threads that are here talking about money real estate the stock market trips around the world are talked about daily. I’m beginning to think it’s bored seniors with not much going on who frequent the boards to BS daily. There is nothing wrong with that if that’s how you want to live your life. Just pathetic and sad how the opportunity to make us better is there and so very few actually take advantage of that.

Reactions: DRC79
I agree it’s not a good system but it’s the system that is in place. The fanbase has its opportunity to make sure we can compete but fails miserably because of how cheap it is. If it was not for the few big donors we have Ace and Dylan would not possibly be coming here. Why can’t the rest of the fanbase step up so we don’t lose guys? The complaining is stupid because you can actually do something about it. Other fanbases can but this one can’t. The money is there because the threads and many of dumb threads that are here talking about money real estate the stock market trips around the world are talked about daily. I’m beginning to think it’s bored seniors with not much going on who frequent the boards to BS daily. There is nothing wrong with that if that’s how you want to live your life. Just pathetic and sad how the opportunity to make us better is there and so very few actually take advantage of that.
It has been established and proven factual for years…then there was an uptick …now we see why the empty bank account was years behind so many other teams. We are somewhat better but so is everyone else in the B1G.

I’m admittedly Delusional.
My love and fanaticism for RU sports is well documented.
Watching the Army/Navy game and seeing those athletes play for love of the game, love of their school and love for their teammates, was the exact same feeling I got watching Deron Cherry, Bill Pickel, Brian Leonard and Ray Rice.
I got emotional when the glee club sang the Alma Mater.
In my world its been taken from me.
I still root for RU, I will still monetarily support programs and facilities…I will never pay college players directly to play.

I’m all in on true NIL, kids should be paid for anything they endorse, I’d be good with revenue sharing for every player, not just starters and 5 star recruits out of high school who’ve never played a down

I’m a dinosaur, I admit it, but I can’t lie to myself

Last edited:
One of the best opinion guys we have here. Someone who actually has legit street credit and takes his time to explain. Never overly critical and always upbeat even when we crap the bed. We know your love for Rutgers Zap… but you are correct about this NIL…

Not ideal from a "everyone seems to be fleeing" perspective but I'm gonna be honest I didn't think this guy was anything special when I watched a bit of his EYBL games. I admit I did not see a huge sample but from what I saw he was, well, fine.
Now that observation is totally delusional. He ‘s very good but this is what happens when people start celebrating verbals 4-6 12 -24 months before the kid signs. Thinking back how ecstatic the feelings were on here and on the podcasts. Rutgers is just one of many who will need to act or just put all $$$$ into football … then pray it’s close.
How is it delusional? I watched the games. I don't care what everyone else was saying.
By the way TOS just dropped him 47 spots in their ratings. Guess they're delusional too.

Once again I remember a couple of years ago the poster who said that the whole NIL thing was about a guy like Geo making a couple of hundred dollars for putting his name on a basketball camp in New Hampshire.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Thinking fans donating $20 a month is a solution to NIL problems is delusional. The schools dominating NIL are backed by big donors. I’m begging you to stop wasting your money and do something better with it.

I’m admittedly Delusional.
My love and fanaticism for RU sports is well documented.
Watching the Army/Navy game and seeing those athletes play for love of the game, love of their school and love for their teammates, was the exact same feeling I got watching Deron Cherry, Bill Pickel, Brian Leonard and Ray Rice.
I got emotional when the glee club sang the Alma Mater.
In my world its been taken from me.
I still root for RU, I will still monetarily support programs and facilities…I will never pay college players directly to play.

I’m all in on true NIL, kids should be paid for anything they endorse, I’d be good with revenue sharing for every player, not just starters and 5 star recruits out of high school who’ve never played a down

I’m a dinosaur, I admit it, but I can’t lie to myself
Ah yea good guy Ray rice. Back when college sports had values!

Thinking fans donating $20 a month is a solution to NIL problems is delusional. The schools dominating NIL are backed by big donors. I’m begging you to stop wasting your money and do something better with it.
Huh? Are you an Indiana fan or something?

If fans that donate 25 bucks a month can help retain 90 percent of our student athletes, it's well worth it. The big donors are the ones who are gonna keep and poach the 5 star recruits. We need more of them and we just don't have them. This is gonna take everyone's help to work.

Former Rutgers basketball commit finds new landing spot

R.cfa014c92f8c662822a38b3aa819a64a

Reactions: Local Shill
I have to admit - the irony is a little amusing.

Sept 10th was the latest "report" of Dylans commitment date.
Well that comes and passes with nothing.

Meanwhile the PG who decommitted "because Harper is potentially a silent commit" actually does make a public commitment on Sept 10th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT