ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2024 QB AJ Surace commits to Rutgers

Congrats and thanks to AJ for staying home and repping his state on the gridiron. He is a fanatic pickup and will recruit others to join him. I have a feeling that we are going to see a strong recruiting class in the next cycle. His commitment says a lot, considering that one of the most successful college football coaches sends his kid to play for Greg.

Scarlet Jerry

Coming from you, that's good enough for me. 👍
He reads the defense well, has good feet, keeps his eyes up on the move, and is decently athletic. Some of his mid level balls are on target but a bit low. Id also like to see his deep balls get a bit more distance.

He will continue to grow into his game as he gets older.

I think it is a really good pickup for us.

As someone said earlier the kid plays with a deficient line, saw him play twice this year. If this kid was at Hun or one of the northern parochials he would be a 4 star national recruit. Athletic, smart, nice arm strength and gets the ball out in time.

As someone said earlier the kid plays with a deficient line, saw him play twice this year. If this kid was at Hun or one of the northern parochials he would be a 4 star national recruit. Athletic, smart, nice arm strength and gets the ball out in time.
I saw some drops on his tape too. Good long throws in the books as incomplete passes.

The law of averages says one of these QB recruits will be a legitimate B1G level QB, why not this kid? He has been coached his whole life for this opportunity, let's hope he takes advantage of it.

So 1 in 4 highly rated recruits at RU end up being legit Big 10 QBs? Can you name a few :)

So 1 in 4 highly rated recruits at RU end up being legit Big 10 QBs? Can you name a few :)
I won’t go back too far but we have had many since say 2004 who would have been legit or more than legit Big QB’s Some of them were gifted enough to be top half of the BIG. Others were on 2 BIG programs and started games and won games in the BIG which makes them legit. You can question them all you want. We have not had a Heisman level QB or Top 3 Big QB but a few could have been at that Top 3 level. It helps when they are surrounded by NFL talent at most positions.

When NJ kids get away fans cry about it. Now we land one and the same fans are complaining about it and questioning their abilities.

I won’t go back too far but we have had many since say 2004 who would have been legit or more than legit Big QB’s Some of them were gifted enough to be top half of the BIG. Others were on 2 BIG programs and started games and won games in the BIG which makes them legit. You can question them all you want. We have not had a Heisman level QB or Top 3 Big QB but a few could have been at that Top 3 level. It helps when they are surrounded by NFL talent at most positions.

When NJ kids get away fans cry about it. Now we land one and the same fans are complaining about it and questioning their abilities.
I’m not questioning their abilities. Just questioning the success rate. It’s been hit or miss for sure.

I don’t think it’s a question of the past QBs abilities because they all were definitely good kids with abilities to thrive if they landed in the right system . RU has continued to be a location where once they get here it’s like getting your feet stuck in Muddddd , and I put the problem of developing QBs squarely on GS’s front door step, it’s no coincidence that when QB’s transfer or leave NJ to play at other programs they do very well , and that’s one of the reasons why people get upset because we hear so often about NJ QBs or even position players lighting things up outside the state of RU.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don’t think it’s a question of the past QBs abilities because they all were definitely good kids with abilities to thrive if they landed in the right system . RU has continued to be a location where once they get here it’s like getting your feet stuck in Muddddd , and I put the problem of developing QBs squarely on GS’s front door step, it’s no coincidence that when QB’s transfer or leave NJ to play at other programs they do very well , and that’s one of the reasons why people get upset because we hear so often about NJ QBs or even position players lighting things up outside the state of RU.
While he was never a fan favorite, perhaps the biggest QB crime was 2016 and what Ash/Mehringer did with Laviano.
2015- 187/307 (60.9%) 2247 yards 16 TD/12 INT
2016- 70/145 (48.3%) 748 yards 5 TD/2 INT

He had some off field issues, but 2016 was the start of the Giovanni Rescigno era.

Can't really say that about Teel, or for that matter Dodd. And you can't lay Savage's issues at his doorstep. Now you can point to issues with post-2014 QBs (except for the Nova/Fridge year), but how is that Schiano's fault?

And Bill Belichick sent his son to Rutgers. I'm sick of the things being said about Schiano. He's built a big ten quality defense and I'm optimistic the offense will come around. I haven't lost faith in him. Look at the job Pikiell has done. Despite it being far easier to build a successful basketball team it still took Pike at least 4 years to turn the program around and start seeing meaningful results.
He did not send his son here to play football. He played lacrosse and only football toward the end. So no, being on the football team was not a ringing endorsement

Reactions: PSU_Nut
While he was never a fan favorite, perhaps the biggest QB crime was 2016 and what Ash/Mehringer did with Laviano.
2015- 187/307 (60.9%) 2247 yards 16 TD/12 INT
2016- 70/145 (48.3%) 748 yards 5 TD/2 INT

He had some off field issues, but 2016 was the start of the Giovanni Rescigno era.
The biggest crime was playing Ryan Cubit bc his dad was OC over Chad Schwenk who outplayed him clearly

His ability isn't the question. What kind of coaching he gets is.

Reactions: Zimm80
He did not send his son here to play football. He played lacrosse and only football toward the end. So no, being on the football team was not a ringing endorsement

But the Pats draft picks during those years suggests otherwise. And not just the DBs, Beauharnais became a Pat as well.

You can't possibly be saying that Bill Belichick doesn't believe in the Rutgers Football program, can you? I must be misunderstanding your post.

You can't possibly be saying that Bill Belichick doesn't believe in the Rutgers Football program, can you? I must be misunderstanding your post.

I think he was pointing out that Belichek situation is not analogous.

Obviously, he respects Schiano as a coach.

Nothing really to argue about.

61+ikajYwqL.jpg

5e87bd3ee48bc72a37ee21fb_upc-00030613107773-glamor-frontpackageglamor-2019-09-16t14-29-09-87165139-a9a2-4bfd-b97c-4fb4c5ef317f._TTD_._SR1200,1200_._QL100_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
P.S. RIGHT
Yes, he does respect Schiano as a coach. I think it was his recommendation that got Schiano the Tampa job. I was refuting that he sent his son here to play football. His son came here for lacrosse and joined the football team only at the end to segue into football while he still had eligibility….giving him brief experience and priming him for coaching.

Yes, he does respect Schiano as a coach. I think it was his recommendation that got Schiano the Tampa job. . . . .
How did that recommendation work out? The fact is the current HC of the Patriots has yet to prove he can win anything without the help of Tom Brady. Should we really be following his advice on who to hire and fire?

I'm seeing 6 on rivals. BC, Indiana, Michigan State, Northwester, Pitt, Rutgers.
But TOS has Duke and Tennessee.

Great get, welcome!!!

If Pitt was recruiting him you got a good QB.

Pitt likes Rival 3-Star NJ QB.

Two Rival 3-Star NJ QB who came to Pitt had NFL careers (Kenny Pickett and Joe Flacco).

I believe both of those QB were better than Penn State Rival 5-Star QB Christian Hackenberg who is the QB coach at Winslow Township High School.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

If Pitt was recruiting him you got a good QB.

Pitt likes Rival 3-Star NJ QB.

Two Rival 3-Star NJ QB who came to Pitt had NFL careers (Kenny Pickett and Joe Flacco).

I believe both of those QB were better than Penn State Rival 5-Star QB Christian Hackenberg who is the QB coach at Winslow Township High School.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Flacco was a Delaware product that went to the NFL Pitt might have got him first, but the Blue Hens developed him into pro material.
Pickett is a panther product.

Flacco was a Delaware product that went to the NFL Pitt might have got him first, but the Blue Hens developed him into pro material.
Pickett is a panther product.

Yes, saw him play in a spring game with QB Tyler Palko who was 1st team QB but you could see Joe was also special. Don't blame him for transferring and proving his worth. Similar to the situation with Rutgers QB Tom Savage eventual transfer to Pitt.

One of the best Rutgers QB that used to give Pitt fits was Mike Teel.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Yes, saw him play in a spring game with QB Tyler Palko who was 1st team QB but you could see Joe was also special. Don't blame him for transferring and proving his worth. Similar to the situation with Rutgers QB Tom Savage eventual transfer to Pitt.

One of the best Rutgers QB that used to give Pitt fits was Mike Teel.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Savage proved himself his freshman year at Rutgers then went to Arizona because RU soph year didn't go as good as it should have..
Savage eventually went to Pitt because of the NCAA rules, he wanted to return to Rutgers when his Uof A move didn't pan out like he wanted.

Flacco transferred then proved himself, can't really credit Pitt for his development .

Teel had some good games for Rutgers and is considered one of the best RU QBs ever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT