ADVERTISEMENT

30 NET/27 Kenpom/30 BART

10 B1G teams in the NET Top 40, which is crazy.

7 MSU
15 OSU
18 Maryland
24 Michigan
27 Wisconsin
30 Penn St
31 Rutgers
32 Purdue
34 Iowa
37 Illinois
47 Minnesota
54 Indiana
176 Nebraska
193 Northwestern

Number of Top 40 teams by conference:
10 - B1G
6 - Big East
5 - P12
4 - B12, SEC
3 - ACC, WCC
2 - MWC
1 - A10, AAC, MVC
In regards to making the tourny, Indiana is NET 54 and analysts think more highly of them than us?

In regards to making the tourny, Indiana is NET 54 and analysts think more highly of them than us?

Because they are 5-9 in Q1, 4-2 in Q2, and have no Q3/Q4 losses. Their average loss has a NET of 27, while ours has a NET of 40. They have one better win than us, and 1 less bad loss. Overall NET ranking is not looked at in a vacuum - it is a value used to give value to different elements of a team's resume.

Because they are 5-9 in Q1, 4-2 in Q2, and have no Q3/Q4 losses. Their average loss has a NET of 27, while ours has a NET of 40. They have one better win than us, and 1 less bad loss. Overall NET ranking is not looked at in a vacuum - it is a value used to give value to different elements of a team's resume.

I am actually wondering why their NET is lagging. They have wins equal to RU and better than most on the bubble.

I am actually wondering why their NET is lagging. They have wins equal to RU and better than most on the bubble.

Only thing I can guess is overall Div-I SOS. Also, it seems like something in NET penalizes for the very bottom of schedules - our worst 3 wins are 242, 306, 311.... and theirs are 275, 296, 335

It’s because blow out losses and margin of defeat do matter quite a bit in the calculation ( and in general). The maxed out the NET cap 5 times (double digit losses). And lost 4 additional 3 possession games (the scoring system in the 1-9 point margin range is probably scaled by possession - that would make sense.)

Needless to say, Indy should be a lock at this point. Zero losses to teams not at least on the bubble with a max loss count of 13. 5 wins over top 6 seeds or better. 4 wins away from home. That’s a punched ticket barring a loss to NW or Nebraska.

It’s because blow out losses and margin of defeat do matter quite a bit in the calculation ( and in general). The maxed out the NET cap 5 times (double digit losses). And lost 4 additional 3 possession games (the scoring system in the 1-9 point margin range is probably scaled by possession - that would make sense.)

Needless to say, Indy should be a lock at this point. Zero losses to teams not at least on the bubble with a max loss count of 13. 5 wins over top 6 seeds or better. 4 wins away from home. That’s a punched ticket barring a loss to NW or Nebraska.

its a better profile with better wins than those Pac 12 and Big 12 bubbles so its really odd that Indiana is put below most of them

No change in Kenpom or Bart with the win. Will be interesting to see if NET catches up

19 Houston....looking like 8/9 but could move to 7 if they win the regular season AAC

22 Texas Tech...will not get dinged much for losing to Kansas but in trouble because of swoon...could be 10 to first 4 games

25 Marquette....likely to fall big time and might be 8/9 but Lunardi now lists them on first four bye grouping

26 Wisconsin...likely to move up and could be a 4 seed

27 Stanford....game vs Oregon...in the 11 range/first 4 right now

28 Florida...one point loss to KY will not ding them....likely 8-9 seed

29 St Mary....WCC tourney to come....likely 8/9 but could fall to 10

30 Penn State...RU will leap over them...likely now to fall to 6...could fall to 7

32 Purdue...out

33 LSU..won today...likely 7 or 8 seed

34 Iowa....looking like anywhere from 5 to 7 depending on what they do tomorrow vs Illinois

35 Auburn won today, looking like a 5 or 6

36 Illinois...looking like a 5 to 7 depending on game vs Iowa

38 Providence..mauled De Paul...could be a 7 now..at worst 8

Rutgers...think they are a 9

It's more resume and SOS than NET for NCAA seeding. Last year UNC was 7th NET but got a 1 seed. Houston 4 NET got a 3 seed.

the road mark will almost certainly ding RU in terms of seeding so our NET might line with up a 7 but ultimately its down a couple of spots

Reactions: gregkoko
19 Houston....looking like 8/9 but could move to 7 if they win the regular season AAC

22 Texas Tech...will not get dinged much for losing to Kansas but in trouble because of swoon...could be 10 to first 4 games

25 Marquette....likely to fall big time and might be 8/9 but Lunardi now lists them on first four bye grouping

26 Wisconsin...likely to move up and could be a 4 seed

27 Stanford....game vs Oregon...in the 11 range/first 4 right now

28 Florida...one point loss to KY will not ding them....likely 8-9 seed

29 St Mary....WCC tourney to come....likely 8/9 but could fall to 10

30 Penn State...RU will leap over them...likely now to fall to 6...could fall to 7

32 Purdue...out

33 LSU..won today...likely 7 or 8 seed

34 Iowa....looking like anywhere from 5 to 7 depending on what they do tomorrow vs Illinois

35 Auburn won today, looking like a 5 or 6

36 Illinois...looking like a 5 to 7 depending on game vs Iowa

38 Providence..mauled De Paul...could be a 7 now..at worst 8

Rutgers...think they are a 9

Interesting...I really think we are sitting solid at 8. Think we wake up tomorrow at net ranking at 28. That’s 7 seed territory ...thinking 8

7-9 versus the field (assuming Indiana makes it and Purdue doesn’t) ...think that’s the big state helps us stay 8 and not 9.

Think we cement a 7 seed with a Michigan win on Thursda

Interesting...I really think we are sitting solid at 8. Think we wake up tomorrow at net ranking at 28. That’s 7 seed territory ...thinking 8

7-9 versus the field (assuming Indiana makes it and Purdue doesn’t) ...think that’s the big state helps us stay 8 and not 9.

It's crazy Palm and others saying we are on the bubble. Heard seth davis say we could be out with bad losses in BIG tourney. Guess he doesn't know you can only lose once!

If the NET means anything we are solidly in. can't see how they can not select somebody with our NET and resume. Seems like a big disconnect that i can't figure out. I assume its just bias against a long time losing program.

Indiana gets the benefit of the doubt with a NET of 51 before today's loss. Crazy.

It's crazy Palm and others saying we are on the bubble. Heard seth davis say we could be out with bad losses in BIG tourney. Guess he doesn't know you can only lose once!

If the NET means anything we are solidly in. can't see how they can not select somebody with our NET and resume. Seems like a big disconnect that i can't figure out. I assume its just bias against a long time losing program.

Indiana gets the benefit of the doubt with a NET of 51 before today's loss. Crazy.
Bad losses in the tournament? We lose to Michigan or Iowa and apparently it's a bad loss?

Bad losses in the tournament? We lose to Michigan or Iowa and apparently it's a bad loss?

I know. It was a weird thing to say. It's like we are automatically a bubble team no matter how well we do.

the road mark will almost certainly ding RU in terms of seeding so our NET might line with up a 7 but ultimately its down a couple of spots
Isn't the home/road differential already taken into account in the NET ranking? We're already being dinged. Why the double jeopardy?

Reactions: Night Man
Isn't the home/road differential already taken into account in the NET ranking? We're already being dinged. Why the double jeopardy?

the close road results have helped the NET overall but the road mark is still a part of the team and sheet and a specific criteria to consider

here are my 8s right now without doing the serious numbers crunching

8: Providence, LSU, Houston, Utah State

9: Florida, Rutgers, Saint Marys, USC.

I think PC and LSU strrong 8s and the other 6 I find interchangable at this time.

I now have Marquette a possible 10 but can see them at 9 too. Not sure where Utah State ultimately winds up but 8/9 game looks likely.

the problem to getting to 7 is passing one of these

7: Iowa, Virginia, Michigan, Colorado....I now have WVU back to 6

When there aren’t that many games played and your opponents happen to go 2-0 that has to help a bit. Niagara won too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT