ADVERTISEMENT

30+ years of RU campus and sports stories...

Randal7

All American
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2009
...As told from the unique perspective of Scarlet Fever owner, three time university mascot and Rutgers alum Steve O.

Far reaching chat on:
- His story (from Rutgers engineering student and mascot to business owner)
- Inspiration for a shop drawn from his travels with athletics (school pride at apparel shops at other universities which was a gap at Rutgers)
- A delve into his favorite sports moments and athletes at Rutgers
- His thoughts on Greek life's role in the collegiate experience (from sports fandom to school ties as post grads)
- The value proposition of Rutgers to NJ families

Hope you all enjoy!

Here is Scarlet Fevers website. Their phone is 732-247-4678. For those who have never been there, it is at the corner of Easton Avenue and Somerset Street in New Brunswick. Right near both hospitals, train station, College Avenue campus, the Zimmerman, lots of restaurants, and maybe a ten minute walk from all the concert halls and theaters. Easy to get to from the New Jersey Turnpike and Routes 287, 1, 22, 27, 28, 440, and 78.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Shirts, hoodies, sweats, glassware, rugs, blankets, hell, even my dog’s water bowl came from Scarlet Fever!

Reactions: Section124
Shirts, hoodies, sweats, glassware, rugs, blankets, hell, even my dog’s water bowl came from Scarlet Fever!
I even got the pin from the 2nd Pinstripe Bowl for my hat (naturally purchased at Scarlet Fever) because @SF88 and his family pointed me to the last concession stand in Yankee Stadium that still had them.

Reactions: RUPete
One of these is the number 1 selling apparel item in perpetuity. Gotta listen to find out which one :)

And one of our own on here. 👍

When you're looking for something Rutgers-related and you DON'T check out ScarletFever first, you're doing it wrong.
Just about all of my RU merch is from Scarlet Fever, even the stuff from my family, when they buy me gifts. Steve is a great guy, too - had many good chats with him in the store over the years.

...As told from the unique perspective of Scarlet Fever owner, three time university mascot and Rutgers alum Steve O.

Far reaching chat on:
- His story (from Rutgers engineering student and mascot to business owner)
- Inspiration for a shop drawn from his travels with athletics (school pride at apparel shops at other universities which was a gap at Rutgers)
- A delve into his favorite sports moments and athletes at Rutgers
- His thoughts on Greek life's role in the collegiate experience (from sports fandom to school ties as post grads)
- The value proposition of Rutgers to NJ families

Hope you all enjoy!

Thanks for posting. Steve is my fraternity brother and good friend. The one story he told about a bunch of us getting into a van and traveling to celebrate a birthday party was my father's birthday this past February. We've done a lot of stuff together and I think that's something that needs to be stressed to high school kids. If you're from Jersey, this is our state university and you won't be going there for just four years. You'll be developing a lifelong relationship. I know so many people who went to an unknown school, far away, paid more than double, and they've never gone back and never see the friends they had in college. Steve was always very passionate about Rutgers going back to when he was the mascot (which he invented by the way. I don't think he mentioned that). If you're showing your kid or a friend's kid the campus, make sure to stop by the store and say hi. He'll give a great argument why Rutgers is the best.

Reactions: Randal7
Thanks for posting. Steve is my fraternity brother and good friend. The one story he told about a bunch of us getting into a van and traveling to celebrate a birthday party was my father's birthday this past February. We've done a lot of stuff together and I think that's something that needs to be stressed to high school kids. If you're from Jersey, this is our state university and you won't be going there for just four years. You'll be developing a lifelong relationship. I know so many people who went to an unknown school, far away, paid more than double, and they've never gone back and never see the friends they had in college. Steve was always very passionate about Rutgers going back to when he was the mascot (which he invented by the way. I don't think he mentioned that). If you're showing your kid or a friend's kid the campus, make sure to stop by the store and say hi. He'll give a great argument why Rutgers is the best.
No doubt about that -- he is able to communicate the value proposition of Rutgers (and Greek life) in a highly compelling and persuasive way. A true loyal son

No doubt about that -- he is able to communicate the value proposition of Rutgers (and Greek life) in a highly compelling and persuasive way. A true loyal son

Honestly, I don't think high school kids are thinking much about what happens after college. The truth of the matter is that if you go to Rutgers, you're likely going to be in NJ after college and the same is true for the friends you make. Of course people will spread out all over the country, but the majority will likely be in or near NJ since it's the best state to live in (according to Wallet Hub). Like Steve was saying, we had a fraternity golf outing today at the Rutgers Golf Course. This weekend, we have a canoe/camping trip, and of course in the fall, we'll have tailgates. Why would you go anywhere else?

Reactions: Plum Street
Steve has raised A TON of money for Eric.
a ton of dollar bills would be worth $908,000.
20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-LAYERS-beard-crop.png

a ton of pennies would be worth only $363.54 (double that in copper value - theoretically - if they were pre-1982)

iStock_58509974_MEDIUM.jpg

Quarters weight 5.67 grams each, so a ton (2,000 pounds) of quarters would be worth $4007

03ed9e0ab0724261b80c8f6f57b39929.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT