ADVERTISEMENT

$333/Season Ticket surcharge to pay for Football Facilities

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
We need better football facilities to compete with the Ohio States, Nebraskas, Michigans, Tennessees, and Penn States of college football. What do you think of paying a $333 voluntary surcharge per season ticket to pay for them?

There are roughly 31,000 season ticket holders. If each pays the $333 surcharge, it would yield 10.3 Million Dollars in Revenue per year. This would be done over five years, yielding 51.6 million dollars.

i envision a facility, similar to Tennessees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw4OdUaVmEA[/URL]

Wasn't your prior idea something like why can't we raise $10K per person? So you're headed in the right direction.

Originally posted by rutgersal:

We need better football facilities to compete with the Ohio States, Nebraskas, Michigans, Tennessees, and Penn States of college football. What do you think of paying a $333 voluntary surcharge per season ticket to pay for them?

There are roughly 31,000 season ticket holders. If each pays the $333 surcharge, it would yield 10.3 Million Dollars in Revenue per year. This would be done over five years, yielding 51.6 million dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw4OdUaVmEA
slooooooooow down. You do that and you'll go from 31k to 22k over night. 333 is more than many people are paying for their tickets....

Originally posted by RBS05:
Wasn't your prior idea something like why can't we raise $10K per person? So you're headed in the right direction.
that was basketball, where we don't have as many season ticket holders, and needed to raise $30 Million dollars.
That calculation was $6000 x 5,000 basketball fans.

In Football, we do have large numbers of season ticket holders. i have been toying with the idea of asking football season holders to contribute towards the basketball facility. don't know if its feasible.

Originally posted by vkj91:

slooooooooow down. You do that and you'll go from 31k to 22k over night. 333 is more than many people are paying for their tickets....
Its would be totally voluntary. There would be a brochure explaining what the money is for. If people don't want to contribute, they just click the negative checkbox, and the amount gets withdrawn.

Paying anything via surcharge is a ridiculous idea. The Federal Government currently subsidizes donations...so that is how all money should be raised.

For example: If I am willing to give a tax deductible donation of $1000, I am only going to be willing to pay $720 in "fees" (which represents the real cost of my donation).

We already have some mandatory seat donations. And we already have voluntary seat surcharges, its called donations. If its voluntary, how is it different from what we have? You can always donate more, no?

Before anyone starts donating, we need a clear plan, and we need our President to be a leader in our effort to be competitive in BIG athletics. We can strive for excellence in both Academics and Athletics, like the BIG charter mandates.

RIght now there is no plan and no leadership. Not a recipe for maximizing donations.

Surcharge is a terrible idea.

A thoughtful, well-articulated plan that highlights the financial need, where monies would go, tax-deductibility, the ability to get company-matching funds, etc. seems like the better plan.

Originally posted by TonyLieske:

Paying anything via surcharge is a ridiculous idea. The Federal Government currently subsidizes donations...so that is how all money should be raised.

For example: If I am willing to give a tax deductible donation of $1000, I am only going to be willing to pay $720 in "fees" (which represents the real cost of my donation).
please don't get caught up in the financial semantics. it would be treated as a "voluntary" donation, not a fee.

Originally posted by jmc11201:

A thoughtful, well-articulated plan that highlights the financial need, where monies would go, tax-deductibility, the ability to get company-matching funds, etc. seems like the better plan.

This is exactly what I have in mind.

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:
Buffoonery.
How is it bufoonery? How can you expect 5 * recruits to come to a place with 3* facilities? THAT is bufoonery. Yes, you might get a recruit here or there. But Mercedes caliber recruits want Mercedes caliber facilities.

Schiano actually wanted to include this project as part of the stadium expansion, but it was removed due to cost.

Originally posted by JPhoboken:
We already have some mandatory seat donations. And we already have voluntary seat surcharges, its called donations. If its voluntary, how is it different from what we have? You can always donate more, no?

Before anyone starts donating, we need a clear plan, and we need our President to be a leader in our effort to be competitive in BIG athletics. We can strive for excellence in both Academics and Athletics, like the BIG charter mandates.

RIght now there is no plan and no leadership. Not a recipe for maximizing donations.
That is a fair criticism. Obviously nothing would be done without a clear plan. And I expect that a plan for excellence to be forthcoming.

This would be one of the tasks from that plan. A Target Amount would be determined and the need would be clearly explained. The difference, is that a specific amount would be presented, which would be used for this specific purpose.

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:
Buffoonery.
How is it bufoonery? How can you expect 5 * recruits to come to a place with 3* facilities? THAT is bufoonery. Yes, you might get a recruit here or there. But Mercedes caliber recruits want Mercedes caliber facilities.

Schiano actually wanted to include this project as part of the stadium expansion, but it was removed due to cost.
The type of money you are talking about needs to be raised through sponsorships and/or successful alumni with deep pockets. The typical season ticket buyer will not consider what you are suggesting. Maybe go the GoFundMe route ... perhaps the collective college football audience will come to Rutgers aid.

We can't continue to bleed the limited supporters of Rutgers Athletics. Yes we are now in the Big Ten but the giant increase in ticket holders has not happen in that so many proclaimed would happen in the two revenue sports.

We need new fans not charge those that have supported these two sports through the dark ages a lot more.

Rutgers can't ride on the backs of a small, tiny minority of NJ residents and alum that have over paid for average to terrible results.

Asking the current fan base isn't the answer.

Al you seem more reasonable when you have a drink in your hand. My suggestion is to drink more and stop asking the minority for more $$. :) We are already paying a lot more than just a few years ago. Come up with a new fan base suggestion.

Besides winning can do more than $$.

Let figure out how to recruit and win before asking for more money.

This post was edited on 3/23 5:55 PM by WhiteBus

This is correct, if you try and make it mandatory. If you make it voluntary, then congratulations, you've just made $999.00.

To get people to give more money requires that you give them something in return. The brick campaign is a solid example of this. And how many of us have more than one brick? I'd bet lots...

Sorry Al but Barchi would take that $10 million & force the Athletic Department to pay down the subsidy.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Just layout a plan and a vision of where you want to head as an athletic dept and then market and sell that EVERYDAY to potential donors.

As part of my job I have to come up with a Strategy that slays out a vision for our product offering. I then work with Sales to market that to prospects and existing clients. No different here at all if you want people to buy into that vision.

I have not seen 1 thing from RU on this yet but I still donate a good amount every year

Just put a note on the ticket order that says "suggested donation $150 million". Maybe someone will pay it and solve all Rutgers money problems.

Luckily Julie has forgotten more about running an AD than delusionAL ever will know!

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
We can't continue to bleed the limited supporters of Rutgers Athletics. Yes we are now in the Big Ten but the giant increase in ticket holders has not happen in that so many proclaimed would happen in the two revenue sports.

We need new fans not charge those that have supported these two sports through the dark ages a lot more.

Rutgers can't ride on the backs of a small, tiny minority of NJ residents and alum that have over paid for average to terrible results.

Asking the current fan base isn't the answer.

Al you seem more reasonable when you have a drink in your hand. My suggestion is to drink more and stop asking the minority for more $$. :) We are already paying a lot more than just a few years ago. Come up with a new fan base suggestion.

Besides winning can do more than $$.

Let figure out how to recruit and win before asking for more money.

This post was edited on 3/23 5:55 PM by WhiteBus
Amen brother, I'm all tapped out pouring $$$$ to RU.

Agree with White Bus here as he is right on target. Besides SL our football facilities aren't that bad. And with your plan Al, the average person with 3 season tickets now has to cough up another $666 for a donation on top of his seat donation and paying $30-40+ to park per game so that to attend a game the minimum cost might be around $150 per game and that's figuring a $50+ seat donation + your $333/7 + the ticket cost + parking. For a 7 home game cost or to sum it up again....$65 ticket + $10 seat donation + parking $10 minimum + $333/7 - $47 = $132 and thst doesn't include the priority point donation. Congratulations Sl...uou just priced Rutgers out of the market for the average guy.

Have another drink and try something else. And as noted BB needs the help right now. Football seems to be carrying itself fine and even there too people are being squeezed more every year. If you want to do something good then convince Barchi and the BOG to borrow against future B1G earnings yo fo some things that are needed to be done overall.

Originally posted by jmc11201:

Surcharge is a terrible idea.

The company match issue is significant. I donate to both athletics and academics. If I have a fixed amount of $$ that I can donate each year, then Rutgers loses $1 in company-matching funds for each $1 I move over to athletics.

Or we could simply charge our 9 million New Jersey residents about $1 per year to raise $9MM per year in revenue. The point being that other states earmark a much higher percentage of State tax receipts for their State universities than we do and it's time for that to change.

I don't know what Al stated because I have him on ignore. Why is he still on this board? Get rid of him but of course there are so many others to get rid of. Sad.

Originally posted by RU848789:

Or we could simply charge our 9 million New Jersey residents about $1 per year to raise $9MM per year in revenue. The point being that other states earmark a much higher percentage of State tax receipts for their State universities than we do and it's time for that to change.
But for most major programs, they are able to build new football and basketball practice facilities without large pieces of state funding...and others are able to do major stadium renovations (i.e. like Texas A&M's $485 Million renovation for Kyle Field, where only 4% of the cost is coming from local government entities) without major state support. (Minnesota is one of those exceptions).

Also, most major programs do not have the annual subsidies payout from General Univ Funds to help cover cost shortfalls for their Athletic Dept like RU has had to do in recent years.

Its would be totally voluntary. There would be a brochure explaining what the money is for. If people don't want to contribute, they just click the negative checkbox, and the amount gets withdrawn.
your logic is effed up al... why should someone have to check a box to opt out?.. why not check a box if you WANT to donate more??.. what you are suggesting with that is a friggin scam

Originally posted by Scarletwoman:

Why is he still on this board?
Because he bleeds for Rutgers more than 90% on this board?

Full disclosure, Al's posts often annoy me, but at least he's talking about addressing an obvious area of need for RU.

He is talking about the school laying out a plan, and telling the season ticketholders that if they donate $333 extra apiece, we can build facility X.

It seems like most people's complaint is the semantics of calling it a surcharge. If you read what he wrote, he is not proposing a surcharge.

Originally posted by TRU2RU:
Sorry Al but Barchi would take that $10 million & force the Athletic Department to pay down the subsidy.
This is simply not true, and it is incredibly damaging to the school to spread misinformation like this, which is essentially encouraging people to NOT donate.

I would take a million Al posts over this kind of BS, that really has no place here, or anywhere coming from an RU supporter.

Al makes more sense on this topic then just about anyone else i have heard.

Basketball needs money to compete. A facility is part of the problem. A plan needs to be put in place where fans and alums pay for it. Asking for a handout from the state is wrong.

Originally posted by Local Shill:
Yet you still commented. So what's the purpose of having him on ignore? Oh that's right, I'm on ignore too. You're a self absorbed moron.
Someone please quote this message so ms. Big mouth sees it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Are you serious with this post? Have some respect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT