ADVERTISEMENT

39 yds passing.

But, the relevant point is, he knows a shit ton more about football than you or I.
HErman also knows how to pick up a fumble and take it to the HOUSE! He is the reason that teams line up a RB behind the QB when kneeling

The late great Mike Leach was obviously on the other end of the spectrum, throwing 80% of the time. When asked about having a more balanced attack he said "50% pass and 50% run is 50% stupid." He outlined how balance isn't about an equal share of run or pass but being able to have balance across the field and keeping the defense spread out causing gaps and open space.

That said, if a team can't stop the run...you don't stop running. Far more likelihood of mistakes and turnovers through the air.

Nothing makes a WR recruit want to commit to your program more than 39 yards passing against Indiana. We'd better embrace Schianoball and the Wing-RPO offense, lest we be looked at as ungrateful fans.

Army, Navy, and Air Force each had more passing yards Saturday.
If we were 2-6 you'd have a point, but at 6-2 it really does look ungrateful.

And I admit a game like this isn't especially alluring to potential WR recruits, but it does look very good to OL, RB's and the entirety of the defense.

The WR's will just take a little more selling from the recruiters.

We win by 17 points on the road, but we can't avoid nitpicking about our play calling the next day. I guess we are so used to winning, particularly on the road, that we can afford this luxury. Did the OP get any enjoyment in watching our OL continue to blow hole after hole for our backs? Good grief!

Have you reviewed the every pass by Gavin thread? The inaccuracy was not particularly evident, except on a few passes, and it was a small sample size. Indiana is not Ohio State (of course), but Allar looked like absolute crap in the first half yesterday for Penn State. I tend to think fans hold their own players (especially their QB) than those of other teams. We also seem to forget that other B1G teams have top WR and TE recruits. Our TEs are blocking or MIA most of the game. Watching PAC12 games, I notice a lot of receivers and TEs going high to make catches RU fans could only dream about because it seems that many of our recievers' and TE's cleats are glued to the turf.

You need to change that avatar back. The new one is confusing me. LOL

Reactions: yesrutgers01
We win by 17 points on the road, but we can't avoid nitpicking about our play calling the next day. I guess we are so used to winning, particularly on the road, that we can afford this luxury. Did the OP get any enjoyment in watching our OL continue to blow hole after hole for our backs? Good grief!

Nice emotional over reaction.

but 39 yds passing is pretty bad.

X9Yokw6.jpg

Reactions: Bagarocks and Dpgru
Will do in near future. It's Halloween time and I liked Greg's zombie dance, it that's what he was going for.

Oh I get it. And I kinda hope they use Greg's "dance" on the scoreboard during games. LOL.

I just don't recognize as quickly with the new avatar and the world is all about entitled me so I had to speak up. ; )

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Oh I get it. And I kinda hope they use Greg's "dance" on the scoreboard during games. LOL.

I just don't recognize as quickly with the new avatar and the world is all about entitled me so I had to speak up. ; )
How was the DR. The parking place we used a couple times at Newark Airport had a guy from the DR behind the counter. With the Mrs. standing next to me, he's going on and on about how hot the women are in DR. So, when we finally get seated in the plane, I ask her if she wants to go to the DR. . . . . .we have never gone.

How was the DR. The parking place we used a couple times at Newark Airport had a guy from the DR behind the counter. With the Mrs. standing next to me, he's going on and on about how hot the women are in DR. So, when we finally get seated in the plane, I ask her if she wants to go to the DR. . . . . .we have never gone.

H O T. 90 and 90 all week. Hottest it's ever been there for us. Thank God for the ocean, pools and frozen drinks.

H O T. 90 and 90 all week. Hottest it's ever been there for us. Thank God for the ocean, pools and frozen drinks.
Well, was the parking guy correct? That's the info I was looking for!
It's been hot here in Sedona all week (80s), and most of the wommin are over 70, so that's the extent of the hotness here.

Honest question to the sky is falling because of our lack of passing crew.

How season defining of a bad passing game can any outing really be for a QB that missed on a grand total of 7 throw attempts? Let’s be conservative and say there were 2 point blank drops (the ones in Q1 are not arguable) and 2 deliberate throw aways under pressure. So what - that means he threw 3 bad passes in this game and we’re in trouble going forward? There was one pass (and only one) that stands out as truly concerning. The short pass to the right (maybe his last pass) should be a bunny completion for any HS QB which is why I say it’s a concern that Gavin seems to have so much trouble executing those. Watching that misfire stood out to me as glaring in the same way it stands out in my kids AAU BB games when a kid picks up his dribble in the back court. It was only one throw in this game, but I’ll give you that this will need to be an area of focus for Gavin in the off season because not being able to execute those limits our play calling options. But the other misfire(s)? What - your going to go crazy about one or two passes sailing over the head of our receivers incomplete?

GW had 180 yards in both the Michigan and Wisconsin games on the road. His completion rate on longer throws overall isn’t that bad and gives us a chance to compete. There’s no question his passing totals and percentages look bad relative to peers look poor because of our lack of a lateral passing game to pad completion rate.

Last edited:
GW is a good athlete and generally makes good decisions but his accuracy is awful. No other way to sugarcoat it.

if you believe you can run on an opponent, then you run, run, run.

Having said that, we were having trouble with throwing and catching. Fix that and we could have won this game by 30 points.

Last edited:
If we have the leading rusher in the Big Ten and didnt use him to earn our most rushing yards ever in a B1G game, people would say ots coaching malpractice (literally what got Gleeson fired after Nebraska last year - all we needed to do was run Sam Brown to win and instead he had Gavin slinging the ball and the picks is what let Neb win)

Reactions: Knight Shift
Some “fans” would actually be happier if we threw for 300 yards and lost than imposing our will in the run game and winning.
The combined record of the next four opponents is 24-5, the combined record of the 6 teams we beat to date without a legitimate B1G passing game is 11-25. Let's all stop the fallacy that we can run the ball down the throats of our next 4 opponents. Without a legit passing game we will likely lose, and lose big, the next 4 games and our bowl game.

Honest question to the sky is falling because of our lack of passing crew.

How season defining of a bad passing game can any outing really be for a QB that missed on a grand total of 7 throw attempts? Let’s be conservative and say there were 2 point blank drops (the ones in Q1 are not arguable) and 2 deliberate throw aways under pressure. So what - that means he threw 3 bad passes in this game and we’re in trouble going forward? There was one pass (and only one) that stands out as truly concerning. The short pass to the right (maybe his last pass) should be a bunny completion for any HS QB which is why I say it’s a concern that Gavin seems to have so much trouble executing those. Watching that misfire stood out to me as glaring in the same way it stands out in my kids AAU BB games when a kid picks up his dribble in the back court. It was only one throw in this game, but I’ll give you that this will need to be an area of focus for Gavin in the off season because not being able to execute those limits our play calling options. But the other misfire(s)? What - your going to go crazy about one or two passes sailing over the head of our receivers incomplete?

GW had 180 yards in both the Michigan and Wisconsin games on the road. His completion rate on longer throws overall isn’t that bad and gives us a chance to compete. There’s no question his passing totals and percentages look bad relative to peers look poor because of our lack of a lateral passing game to pad completion rate.
Funny you call this a honest question:
"Honest question to the sky is falling because of our lack of passing crew"

If one points out the issue it doesn't mean we think the sky is falling. It means it's an issue to be commented on and addressed.

One issue is that the number of running plays keeps the clock running and the defense off the field, a real plus against teams like Ohio State, Maryland and Penn State.

Reactions: ScarletDave
GW is a good athlete and generally makes good decisions but his accuracy is awful. No other way to sugarcoat it.

His accuracy numbers stand out because he’s so bad on the laterals / screens. He’s only thrown what, maybe 12 of them all season and we’re lucky if 6 of them were completed. Albeit - 3 of the ones he did complete went for big plays in our early games. This is what sets him apart from other QBs the most. Your average QB attempts at least 4-5 of these types of passes a game and completes 80% of them (even if the play fails and D takes down the receiver in the backfield for a loss). Passes for short loss, are usually more than offset by other lateral receptions that break free for big yards after reception. Again, we have a few of those types of completions but far less than most teams because we don’t run those kind of plays often.

I’m NOT saying this isn’t an issue. Rather, I’m saying it’s more of a confined issue (related to one type of throw) than some are making it out to be. No - Gavin isn’t great (or even above average) from medium to long, but he falls within the range of average. Add in that he’s an above average running and as I said - it’s the short game that’s bringing down his overall game.

Funny you call this a honest question:
"Honest question to the sky is falling because of our lack of passing crew"

If one points out the issue it doesn't mean we think the sky is falling. It means it's an issue to be commented on and addressed.

All I’m saying is that he only threw for 39 yards more because we chose to keep the ball on the ground than because he was so awful in the air. No QB is going to have that many passing yards in a game where they only attempt 12 passes.

We have had balanced games this year. So, it isn't that we won't do it or he is the problem. 3 drops early and he realistically is 8-12.
And, if we couldn't run at will, he would have been asked to pass.

GW needs to get better. We will have a difficult time against OSU/PSU/Maryland and maybe lessor, Iowa, if we can't make some throws- cough cough, catches.

I say lessor with Iowa as we do 4 the aspects of offense/defense better than they do. We run and pass for more and our defense is also better on the run and pass. This game is going to come down to a mistake. We make it, they win, they make it, we win.

The combined record of the next four opponents is 24-5, the combined record of the 6 teams we beat to date without a legitimate B1G passing game is 11-25. Let's all stop the fallacy that we can run the ball down the throats of our next 4 opponents. Without a legit passing game we will likely lose, and lose big, the next 4 games and our bowl game.
Not one person said that. Everyone expected Indiana to feature a heavy dose of KM. The game went down exactly as anticipated. Nobody is saying we should approach any of the remaining games on the schedule this way.

As someone else pointed out - very little about our trajectory would change if GW went 8/12 for 73 yards in the air instead of 5/12 for 39 yards. Maybe we get an extra FG or TD out of it? The plan was to only throw when we had to and avoid turnovers at all costs - clinch the bowl bid. We did exactly that.

No one here disputes the importance of that game. Most likely a bowl invite hung in the balance.

With so much riding on it, Schiano didn’t trust Wimsatt to throw much. It is what it is.

The strategy worked to get us bowl eligible. No further analysis needed. Coming from a regular Schiano-basher, this isn’t the time to complain about that.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
No one here disputes the importance of that game. Most likely a bowl invite hung in the balance.

With so much riding on it, Schiano didn’t trust Wimsatt to throw much. It is what it is.

The strategy worked to get us bowl eligible. No further analysis needed. Coming from a regular Schiano-basher, this isn’t the time to complain about that.

Thanks - better from you than me. This is exactly spot on. The game was called and executed exactly how it should have been to maximize our chance of winning. There’s nothing else to talk about until the next game. Here’s to hoping we’re working on the short game over the bye week.

I know we won, but 39 yds passing is pretty bad. Our offense needs to be more balanced.
There were 3 obvious bad drops on passes right to the receiver. And two bad obvious inaccurate passes. This was not a bad game by Wimsat. The passing game overall needs to improve to take the next step from solid mediocre to good (aka top 25). But that's really an issue for next year. Nothing major is going to change midseason. This year's team will pass when it has to and we will be rolling the dice when we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT