ADVERTISEMENT

This will be first year we don’t stink in the BIG

I think the "stink" label varies by your perspective.

I understand why RU fans would say we didnt "stink" last year and in 2014.

but to MOST college football fans (particularly those of winning programs) if their teams did what we did last year and 2014 they would say their teams "stunk" and similarly would think that RU "stunk" in 2014 and last year.

get above .500 in conference AND be a team that has a LEGIT chance to beat one of the top teams (not just make it a bit interesting into the second half) - and then fans of other teams wont think you "stink"

with that said, I agree with the OP - for the first time- there is a chance that this will be the first year we wont "stink" in the BIG (as viewed by the VAST MAJORITY of (non-RU) college football fans, talking head, analysts, etc. etc.)

Reactions: Plum Street
Clearly we didn't stink

Even with the Big10 East Schedule, we were in the top half of the conference while playing 5 of the top 6, 6 of the top 8 teams sans RU.

We had the Hardest in Conference SOS

For the teams that were 5-3,4-4,3-5 = Nebraska, Minnesota, Maryland, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern......
  • Iowa played Maryland and Indiana
  • Minnesota played OSU and Michigan
  • Nebraska played Michigan State and Rutgers
  • Maryland played Wisconsin and Iowa + BigEast
  • Illinois played Ohio State and Penn State
  • Michigan played Minnesota and Northwestern + BigEast
  • Northwestern played Penn State and Michigan
We were easily the best 3-5 team.
We were the only of the above to win a Bowl Game.

Now if not being in the top 4-5 teams in the league means you stink, then sure...
At worst we were middle of the pack. And if we had anyone else schedule like Nebraska's or Wisconsin's schedule, we easily have 9 wins and 4-4.

We went 2-1 against the mid level, 1-1 against the teams that Stunk(i am including PSU), and 0-3 against the good teams.
Northwestern was the only team to beat the top 3, at home by one score.
Nebraska was the only mid level team to overachieve and they were obviously in the West.

OverallConferencePoints Per GamePolls
WLPctWLPctOffDefAP PreAP HighAP Rank
1​
Ohio State1410.93380144.822511
2​
Michigan State1120.846710.8754321.5855
3​
Wisconsin1130.786710.87534.620.8141113
4​
Nebraska940.692530.62537.826.42211
5​
Minnesota850.615530.62528.424.222
6​
Rutgers850.615350.37526.730.2
7​
Maryland760.538440.528.530.2
8​
Iowa760.538440.528.225.6
9​
Penn State760.538260.2520.618.6
10​
Illinois670.462350.37525.934
11​
Michigan570.417350.37520.922.4
12​
Northwestern570.417350.3752325.2
13​
Indiana480.333170.12525.132.8
14​
Purdue390.25170.12523.831.7

Last edited:
i think we'll be pretty competitive as well, but don't count your chickens before they hatch

Yes , you now disagree legendary predictions doesn’t make a poster a legend ? Unbelievable

The prediction is still playoff contention .
Capisce?

Perhaps look elsewhere to your forum acolytes to lick your ass if you need the affirmation - as homey don't think very highly of insecure self-absorbed braggarts.

• Love
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I think the "stink" label varies by your perspective.

I understand why RU fans would say we didnt "stink" last year and in 2014.

but to MOST college football fans (particularly those of winning programs) if their teams did what we did last year and 2014 they would say their teams "stunk" and similarly would think that RU "stunk" in 2014 and last year.

get above .500 in conference AND be a team that has a LEGIT chance to beat one of the top teams (not just make it a bit interesting into the second half) - and then fans of other teams wont think you "stink"

with that said, I agree with the OP - for the first time- there is a chance that this will be the first year we wont "stink" in the BIG (as viewed by the VAST MAJORITY of (non-RU) college football fans, talking head, analysts, etc. etc.)
I hear what you are saying and def “could” be the year we turn the corner BUT we “could” also lose more games in the BIG than people think. The first 5 games are all tough.

After that, not one game is “easy” either.

I hear what you are saying and def “could” be the year we turn the corner BUT we “could” also lose more games in the BIG than people think. The first 5 games are all tough.

After that, not one game is “easy” either.

Agree - that’s why some of the talk on here (eg “anything less than 8 wins will be a disappointment”) is misguided/ silly.

This is still a tough schedule.

While I hope/ expect continued improvement I am not assigning a win total to that

Spoken like a true Rutgers fan from our past . Think rational but have some faith for goodness sake. We are a good to very good team on paper . If we stay healthy that’s a bonus… Do we have top 10 talent? Do we have a good staff? Does the HC seem unsure going into the summer? It may not be 2006 but it will be as close to that as we have seen since Schiano left in 2012. Still going with 9-3 plus 1 in a bowl game. Stability of personnel outways many things this season. Tough games starting with VT…win that one and the season becomes quite interesting for all Rutgers fans.

Legends never die. And we won’t stink.
Embrace both

Never said we would stink. I expect that we will have a very good season.

As for the legends never die comment. Unfortunately for you, as the onus is pretty much only on you to continually propagates your own legend status, once you are gone, it will flame out with a whimper. Just the way things work on the internet with the continual turnover of information, debate and exchange.

As for the legends never die comment. Unfortunately for you, as the onus is pretty much only on you to continually propagates your own legend status, once you are gone, it will flame out with a whimper. Just the way things work on the internet with the continual turnover of information, debate and exchange.

Now be fair: he's a legend in his own mind.

Never said we would stink. I expect that we will have a very good season.

Not sure why you got this hard on for me. You came into the thread I started on the football board when I predicted northwestern’s Braun would win COY to criticize that. Then guess what , he wins it !
Now you’re following me here. Now guess what, I will be right again!
Relax buddy . It’s just a message board . Embrace the legend!

Reactions: RUBOB72
Not sure why you got this hard on for me. You came into the thread I started on the football board when I predicted northwestern’s Braun would win COY to criticize that. Then guess what , he wins it !
Now you’re following me here. Now guess what, I will be right again!
Relax buddy . It’s just a message board . Embrace the legend!

LoL. It's kind of difficult to avoid someone who constantly self promotes on these boards. If you constantly put yourself out there about how great you are, wouldn't you then have to expect shit thrown back at you? Are you insecure or just thin skinned? I'll say the same to you, relax it's just a message board.

LoL. It's kind of difficult to avoid someone who constantly self promotes on these boards. If you constantly put yourself out there about how great you are, wouldn't you then have to expect shit thrown back at you? Are you insecure or just thin skinned? I'll say the same to you, relax it's just a message board.
Yeah my posts are great . Body of work backs it up . I can summarize for you if you like
It’s pretty easy to “avoid” me . You can put me on ignore. But then you will miss the legendary takes

Last edited:
No you’re wrong . You can’t qualify if by saying we played these ranked teams. . This is the league we signed up for and they are our opponents and peers Z
If you consider 3-5 or 3-6 good records , you really are missing a few marbles. No one would think those are good. Even Mets fans
It really just depends on how you define "stink". If every game you lose doesn't come down to the final possession means you stink, then we stank in 2014 and 2023.

I look at "stink" as meaning you are terrible in comparison to the rest of your peers in P-5 (or P-4 now). I think by Plum's definition, 90% of the teams in D-1 football "stink".
I look at things a little more positively.

Reactions: mosito
Yeah my posts are great . Body of work backs it up . I can summarize for you if you like
It’s pretty easy to “avoid” me . You can put me on ignore. But then you will miss the legendary takes

Nahhh I don't put people on ignore. I just read the board much more than I post. The reason I respond is likely out of fascination by your apparent neurosis coupled with distaste for braggarts. Must take a lot of energy to have to talk for years (what's it been 8 years now?) constantly about how great you are ad nauseum. Congrats on all that effort.

Nahhh I don't put people on ignore. I just read the board much more than I post. The reason I respond is likely out of fascination by your apparent neurosis coupled with distaste for braggarts. Must take a lot of energy to have to talk for years (what's it been 8 years now?) constantly about how great you are ad nauseum. Congrats on all that effort.
You enjoy the takes. Things are better when legends are involved !! Would you rather read someone else’s takes that are wrong? Heck , there are insiders here with sources within the programs that got major things wrong. But I got them right. And the one time I got inside Info that the leonte carroo arrest was bogus I shared that here. Even in that thread I got mocked , until it was proven true.

Now, I make a positive prediction for this season. Enjoy it and embrace that you are posting with a legend .
It’s not bragging if you can back it up!

The reason I respond is likely out of fascination by your apparent neurosis coupled with distaste for braggarts. Must take a lot of energy to have to talk for years (what's it been 8 years now?) constantly about how great you are ad nauseum. Congrats on all that effort.

You do realize that there's a host of clinical psychiatrists who follow him just so that they can hold him up as multiple examples for the classes they teach, don't you? So don't discount his value to society in general.

You do realize that there's a host of clinical psychiatrists who follow him just so that they can hold him up as multiple examples for the classes they teach, don't you? So don't discount his value to society in general.
I will ask you this : Would you rather read someone else’s takes that are wrong?
Heck , there are insiders here with sources within the programs that got major things wrong.
Get excited about the season!!

As I said: legend in your own mind. Hope your arm heals soon.

No you’re wrong . You can’t qualify if by saying we played these ranked teams. . This is the league we signed up for and they are our opponents and peers Z
If you consider 3-5 or 3-6 good records , you really are missing a few marbles. No one would think those are good. Even Mets fans
Yes he is completely wrong. Rutgers doesn't get special treatment for playing in-conference opponents. This is the league we begged and pleaded to get in, so either start competing or join another conference. I'm tired of mediocre football in half-empty stadiums. I do agree that this coming season has strong potential, though.

Reactions: Plum Street
Yes he is completely wrong. Rutgers doesn't get special treatment for playing in-conference opponents. This is the league we begged and pleaded to get in, so either start competing or join another conference. I'm tired of mediocre football in half-empty stadiums. I do agree that this coming season has strong potential, though.
Correct

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT