ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers football becoming a top Big 10 program?

If we cam sustain at least this level of recruiting, it will eventually have an impact on the teams who used to poach NJ.

This is what surprised the crap out of me as I watched Maryland make the transition. It's hard to explain. I can assure you that my ACC buddies think I'm stupid when I try to. But a thin lineup was enough in that league; not so in the B1G....
And you guys have a great QB or have had one the last few years.

Rutgers FB Lifetime Results in the BIG 10

2014 ... 8-5 ... 3-5 ... 3 B1G wins
2015 ... 4-8 ... 1-7 ... 1 B1G wins
2016 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2017 ... 4-8 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2018 ... 1-11 ... 0-9 ...0 B1G wins
2019 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2020 ... 3-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2021 ... 5-8 ... 2-7 ... 2 B1G wins
2022 ... 4-8 ... 1-8 ... 1 B1G wins
2023 ... 7-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins

Only 16 Big Ten wins in 10 Big Ten seasons for an average conference win rate of 1.6 wins per season. We have yet to exceed 3 Big Ten wins, or a mere third of our conference games, in any season.

Y'all can view it however you want. But I'm not gonna start declaring us a top-ten, or even top-half, Big Ten team until we win over half our conference games for several seasons in a row. To do so sooner seems premature, and a little lame in a participation-trophy-esque way to me.

IMO, it's far better to play big than talk big.
Excellent post that lays out reality rather than getting ahead of oneself like this board seems to be doing

Reactions: LOU-RU85
The thing is, most if not all this board can afford to give $10 a month.

It’s about priorities and what they deem to be important enough.

I will never disparage anyone who does not give, as its solely a personal choice and everyone has their own bills to deal with with

But if you do not donate (and have the ability to, but choose not to ), you have zero reason to complain and bitch about the success, or lack there of, the athletic program (and specifically football) on a football message board.

Sure - but honestly, how many active posters do you think there are on these boards? Hypothetically - let’s say there are 500 engaged posters on here (and that’s probably generous as you can’t include folks who set up an account to post once or twice in that pool). 130 x 500 = 60k. That’s not moving the needle anyway.

If we are so fortunate to ever have a banner season like 2006, hopefully the collectives will be ready to capitalize on the casual fan bandwagon. You don’t do that by pushing recurring fee commitments. You do it by coming up with creative one time things like the $52 campaign to get Schiano back. Small one time things where that market can buy a token item or attend a token fundraising event in their local NJ area to feel a part of the build. Thats how you tap into significantly bigger number of participants.

Excellent post that lays out reality rather than getting ahead of oneself like this board seems to be doing
This lays out historical facts, not present day reality. And if you look at the last four years, one can see that the win trend line is positive, with the Miami win being the catalyst for our present day recruiting success.

Then anyone with knowledge of our roster can see that this could be the deepest, most talented, Rutgers team ever. Then when you factor in the culture and that:
- the kids have been trained by Jay Butler for 5 years
- the kids have been watching film for five years
- we return the Big Ten’s leading rusher
- the OL allowed the fewest sacks in the Big Ten last year
- 3 of 5 OL starters return from last year
- this years quarterback had a completion rate 5.2% higher than last years starter
- we resolved our WR talent issues with Miller, Brantley, Duff, and Black
- the schedule is the easiest since 2013, with OSU, PSU, and UM off it

Given these factors, anyone with a modicum of forecasting aptitude, can see that this should be a breakout year. I will be disappointed if we don’t win at least 8, but can easily see that this team is capable of winning 10 - 12 games, because there is isn’t a team on the schedule we can’t beat.

The board is the busiest it’s ever been, because many know that something special is about to happen. It’s fun seeing lots of previous posters come out of the woodwork.

This lays out historical facts, not present day reality. And if you look at the last four years, one can see that the win trend line is positive, with the Miami win being the catalyst for our present day recruiting success.

Then anyone with knowledge of our roster can see that this could be the deepest, most talented, Rutgers team ever. Then when you factor in the culture and that:
- the kids have been trained by Jay Butler for 5 years
- the kids have been watching film for five years
- we return the Big Ten’s leading rusher
- the OL allowed the fewest sacks in the Big Ten last year
- 3 of 5 OL starters return from last year
- this years quarterback had a completion rate 5.2% higher than last years starter
- we resolved our WR talent issues with Miller, Brantley, Duff, and Black
- the schedule is the easiest since 2013, with OSU, PSU, and UM off it

Given these factors, anyone with a modicum of forecasting aptitude, can see that this should be a breakout year. I will be disappointed if we don’t win at least 8, but can easily see that this team is capable of winning 10 - 12 games, because there is isn’t a team on the schedule we can’t beat.

The board is the busiest it’s ever been, because many know that something special is about to happen. It’s fun seeing lots of previous posters come out of the woodwork.
I am agreeing with AL. Or maybe I am still under the influence from last night

Sure - but honestly, how many active posters do you think there are on these boards? Hypothetically - let’s say there are 500 engaged posters on here (and that’s probably generous as you can’t include folks who set up an account to post once or twice in that pool). 130 x 500 = 60k. That’s not moving the needle anyway.

If we are so fortunate to ever have a banner season like 2006, hopefully the collectives will be ready to capitalize on the casual fan bandwagon. You don’t do that by pushing recurring fee commitments. You do it by coming up with creative one time things like the $52 campaign to get Schiano back. Small one time things where that market can buy a token item or attend a token fundraising event in their local NJ area to feel a part of the build. Thats how you tap into significantly bigger number of participants.
I love the $52 idea
Clemson and VT have similar concepts which work
We need to think outside the box - this is a prime example of doing so

As for giving to NIL- it has zero to do with budget or affordability- of course most of us could afford 10/20/50 etc a month.
We just disagree with the concept.
And yes, we do have the right to bitch as much as someone giving.
Stupidest statement ever.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
As for giving to NIL- it has zero to do with budget or affordability- of course most of us could afford 10/20/50 etc a month.
We just disagree with the concept.
And yes, we do have the right to bitch as much as someone giving.
Stupidest statement ever.
Not really, not contributing to something that’s directly going to impact out won/loss record moving forward, and that’s determining the future success of the program, while having them means to do so, then complaining because we’re not Elite, when we have the ability today, is most hypocritical thing I’ve ever heard

As the parent of a former player, I say that with all due respect- but at the end of the day, it comes down to winning and doing what it takes to get to that next level

If you and others are not willing to donate, as I’ve said 100 times that is absolutely your prerogative

But then complaining, and bitching and moaning, because we are getting steamrolled by the same teams over and over each and every year, is talking out both sides of your ass

Not really, not contributing to something that’s directly going to impact out won/loss record moving forward, and that’s determining the future success of the program, while having them means to do so, then complaining because we’re not Elite, when we have the ability today, is most hypocritical thing I’ve ever heard

As the parent of a former player, I say that with all due respect- but at the end of the day, it comes down to winning and doing what it takes to get to that next level

If you and others are not willing to donate, as I’ve said 100 times that is absolutely your prerogative

But then complaining, and bitching and moaning, because we are getting steamrolled by the same teams over and over each and every year, is talking out both sides of your ass
At the end of the day, we don’t have the same infrastructure that Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan do, which is why we struggle when we recruit against them.

Someone or lots of fans have to step up and build it, if we are to take the next step.
If people don’t want to give to NIL, they can give to the R Fund.

At the end of the day, we don’t have the same infrastructure that Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan do, which is why we struggle when we recruit against them.

Someone or lots of fans have to step up and build it, if we are to take the next step.
If people don’t want to give to NIL, they can give to the R Fund.
It’s a very simple concept
The game is played differently in regard to NIL

There’s aspects which I certainly don’t like, but at the end of the day, it’s not going to change because of my feelings

If I, and others, want to see an Elite program, we will donate

If we are OK with perennial pinstripe and quickly bowls, we won’t

End of story

Reactions: rutgersal
Rutgers has climbed up to be a "solid" B1G team...

14dd61f5-0eb5-4691-9fc1-1daf7c1b866b_text.gif

It’s a very simple concept
The game is played differently in regard to NIL

There’s aspects which I certainly don’t like, but at the end of the day, it’s not going to change because of my feelings

If I, and others, want to see an Elite program, we will donate

If we are OK with perennial pinstripe and quickly bowls, we won’t

End of story
This fanbase loves the pinstink and crappy bowls. But I get your point . Although , we do give the 2011 team crap for underachieving and winding up in the pinstink

I love the $52 idea
Clemson and VT have similar concepts which work
We need to think outside the box - this is a prime example of doing so

Yeah there are countless things like that which could be done. Not every effort would take off but if a handful a year could go viral like that one it would make a difference. Some fans fail to realize there are many variables that go into decisions to commit to a recurring charge. That’s a conversation with the wife for many. A one time charge is much more spontaneous.

Give to the R Fund to support the building of the Fieldhouse, if you don’t want to give to players.

But players are getting what the market will bear. This is the price of success. Basketball had a few supporters step up and bring a few lottery pick players here. We need similar godfathers for football. Or Lots of fans giving supporting would work too.

So you think it's reasonable to ask the fans to donate money to build practice facilities for mercenary professional football players? Are any of the players donating to this fieldhouse? Because if not, seems it can't be very important to them - especially now that they are paid...

So you think it's reasonable to ask the fans to donate money to build practice facilities for mercenary professional football players? Are any of the players donating to this fieldhouse? Because if not, seems it can't be very important to them - especially now that they are paid...
Yes. Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State fans supported their tremendous facilities. Players aren’t expected to contribute, though it would be great if they did so.

It’s very important to them because the best recruits choose to go elsewhere in most cases, because this program lacks support. Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State are better capitalized than we are, and have better facilities than we do.

havent been to a Met's or Jet's game in years so I don't give anything to them- and dont pay to watch either - but I am going to bitch about them too.

Giving a few dollars to NIL doesnt give you more rights than anyone else that is a fan.

Why not? The collective doesn’t generate enough money. There is a reason Tennessee has 20 4&5 star recruits in Knoxville right now for OV’s because the volunteer club gets people to open their wallets
.... could happen. will it... remains to be seen
so jump on someone else's post

This fanbase loves the pinstink and crappy bowls. But I get your point . Although , we do give the 2011 team crap for underachieving and winding up in the pinstink
You’re not going to be Elite every single year unless you have sin or sum of that as your coach, there’s always gonna be anomalies

But you get Elite, and stay consistent, it takes resources and a devotion by the fanbase, both emotionally and financially, to get there

havent been to a Met's or Jet's game in years so I don't give anything to them- and dont pay to watch either - but I am going to bitch about them too.

Giving a few dollars to NIL doesnt give you more rights than anyone else that is a fan.
We will agree to disagree

I firmly believe all these players should be paid, and have no problem contributing to that in order to see future success

You’re not going to be Elite every single year unless you have sin or sum of that as your coach, there’s always gonna be anomalies

But you get Elite, and stay consistent, it takes resources and a devotion by the fanbase, both emotionally and financially, to get there
I think this program can contend and be in the playoffs every 4 years as a lower seed that has to play in a first round road game.
Then in the other years playing in games like the pinstink

I think this program can contend and be in the playoffs every 4 years as a lower seed that has to play in a first round road game.
Then in the other years playing in games like the pinstink
I think with the expanded 12 team impossible 16 team, that’s certainly not out of the realm of possibility

I believe it Wisconsin type program is our peak, and would be disappointed if we do not reach that level

Reactions: Plum Street
Yes. Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State fans supported their tremendous facilities. Players aren’t expected to contribute, though it would be great if they did so.

It’s very important to them because the best recruits choose to go elsewhere in most cases, because this program lacks support. Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State are better capitalized than we are, and have better facilities than we do.

So why aren't professional college players expected to contribute? They get paid to play now. As I said earlier some make more than the average poster here. A fan's contribution is his ticket price and parking pass. If there's college money to pay players, players that have no commitment to the college anymore BTW, seems to me they can find the money to build the fieldhouse too. $100M a year from the B1G isn't enough to build a filed house?

Hell we had a starting QB "Rutgers Man (LOL)" walk out on the team the day he wasn't guaranteed a start. We're supposed to donate our money to make life here better for guys like that - when he isn't expected to?

That's where modern program donors start to look like chumps.

ETA: Here's the disconnect. Ya'll are still treating college football like it's still school kids playing for ol Alma Mater. Sure donating to the program in that world is great.

Now, it makes as much sense as donating money to the Giants to upgrade their locker room. IMO wanting to win that bad is sad.

But you do you. My point is made.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
So why aren't professional college players expected to contribute? They get paid to play now. As I said earlier some make more than the average poster here. A fan's contribution is his ticket price and parking pass. If there's college money to pay players, players that have no commitment to the college anymore BTW, seems to me they can find the money to build the fieldhouse too. $100M a year from the B1G isn't enough to build a filed house?

Hell we had a starting QB "Rutgers Man (LOL)" walk out on the team the day he wasn't guaranteed a start. We're supposed to donate our money to make life here better for guys like that - when he isn't expected to?

ETA: Here's the disconnect. Ya'll are still treating college football like it's still school kids playing for ol Alma Mater. Sure donating to the program in that world is great.

Now, it makes as much sense as donating money to the Giants to upgrade their locker room. IMO wanting to win that bad is sad.

Modern program donors are the lifeblood of their respective programs

One could argue a chump is the one on the message board constantly spewing negativity, yet travels to multiple away games per year, likely spending thousands of dollars and burning valueable PTO days in the process

That’s akin to spending a ton of money on a personal trainer, yet eating like shit and not following up on regularly scheduled doctors appointments

It’s a very easy concept…

Some on here want to see a winner
They’ll donate $$

Others are cool with the Pinstripe
They wont

Rutgers fans never donated adequately when it was school kids playing for ol Alma Mater, which is why Princeton owns an overall 53-17-1 win advantage over Rutgers.

If people want championships, they are going to have to donate. If they’re happy with the status quo, then do nothing.

Players don’t have to donate because the market says they don’t have to. The best players will simply gravitate towards those programs whose fans prioritize success, like the aforementioned mentioned Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan.

There are not a lot, if any, Rutgers players, who are making more than most here, which puts us at a recruiting disadvantage against elite schools. They are getting something nominal.

At the end of the day, Wimsatt did what he was brought here to do, he made Rutgers a winner, and left us much better than he found us.

Rutgers fans never donated adequately when it was school kids playing for ol Alma Mater, which is why Princeton owns an overall 53-17-1 win advantage over Rutgers.

If people want championships, they are going to have to donate. If they’re happy with the status quo, then do nothing.

Players don’t have to donate because the market says they don’t have to. The best players will simply gravitate towards those programs whose fans prioritize success, like the aforementioned mentioned Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan.

There are not a lot, if any, Rutgers players, who are making more than most here, which puts us at a recruiting disadvantage against elite schools. They are getting something nominal.

At the end of the day, Wimsatt did what he was brought here to do, he made Rutgers a winner, and left us much better than he found us.
Al- you know I love ya man…and I appreciate what you and others do for the program.
But, as much as I am ok with players making some cash- the fact that NIL has become more of a fan donation that a marketing payment for a player’s NIL- just makes it just not sit right.
That and the open player portal- it just makes it worse.
Those of us that love our teams but would rather buy my granddaughter an ice cream each month over putting that money to a college player-we are the ones that will be driven away.

Al- you know I love ya man…and I appreciate what you and others do for the program.
But, as much as I am ok with players making some cash- the fact that NIL has become more of a fan donation that a marketing payment for a player’s NIL- just makes it just not sit right.
That and the open player portal- it just makes it worse.
Those of us that love our teams but would rather buy my granddaughter an ice cream each month over putting that money to a college player-we are the ones that will be driven away.
I bought season tickets, parking and donated regularly to experience the exhilaration of the 2005 dominating beat down of Cincinnati at home.
Next to Louisville it was the most gratifying victory I’ve experienced.

The reward was a bowl game, a game I knew every player was going to play in and every starting underclassmen I followed since high school would return.

The insight Bowl was our finest loss, i couldn’t have been more proud and excited for the future… our core returning players was special.

No thanks to professional college sports

I bought season tickets, parking and donated regularly to experience the exhilaration of the 2005 dominating beat down of Cincinnati at home.
Next to Louisville it was the most gratifying victory I’ve experienced.

The reward was a bowl game, a game I knew every player was going to play in and every starting underclassmen I followed since high school would return.

The insight Bowl was our finest loss, i couldn’t have been more proud a excited for the future… our core returning players was special

No thanks to professional college sports
What if we become elite?
Louisville type wins and high level bowl games
Still out?

It’s different Jay.
I still follow and cheer, it’s just different.
I’ll never get used to opt outs and free agent portal, whether it helps us or not.

I’ll never be out.
I get it
My dad feels the same way

To a certain extent, I do as well as things have definitely changed

you missed the Iowa game last year?
And pretty much every PSU game?
And Wisconsin QB’s kill us
Iowa last year? Even IowaAl would not call that a Heisman performance.

When we stop the run and pressure the QB they look average against us. A few teams have passed well on us and less when we are healthy and have the depth we do now.

But we are straying from my original point. most BIG teams do not rely on the QB to win games for then single handedly. Iowa is a prime example of a team that does not rely on their QB to win games.

It's ok to not like the changes just like it's ok to like the direction college sports is headed. When things change some want things to stay the same while some embrace the changes. It's the way the cookie crumbles. When you watch the games you just enjoy a sport that you love without thinking about any of that. At least I would think people can watch the games without thinking about it. It's the off-season so people are in their thoughts. This is when things get emotional, lol I try to limit my message board time to in season but I can't help myself..

But I will say that Rutgers Might be the school that benefits from this new system more than most. I know we were all in the matrix but "blue bloods" or whatever schools have been playing by their own rules for decades and schools like Rutgers were not able to and could not compete as a result. This new system has Rutgers in one of the top two conferences and with a top ten recruiting class (most likely will be top 30 at least in the end)...this new system will become the norm for the next generation so all of us old guys need to realize the transition that's happening...we can be old and mad for the rest of our lives or just enjoy the games..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT