ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers football becoming a top Big 10 program?

Come on Zap… not a strong showing but blowout or obliterated ? If we had some semblance of an offense that 6-0 4th doesn’t wind up 22-0. We realize it wasn’t our best but we also played an extremely tough last 5 games schedule. I don’t want to use excuses but also realize it was against a tough opponent in a tough place.
our offense had started the game moving the ball until we woke up their fans and then we were just a complete mess on offense stopped by false start after false start. The was one or two early that killed a scoring drive that may have had us with a lead through the game . Their defense was also very very good. but that single score may have made the differense.

Come on Zap… not a strong showing but blowout or obliterated ? If we had some semblance of an offense that 6-0 4th doesn’t wind up 22-0. We realize it wasn’t our best but we also played an extremely tough last 5 games schedule. I don’t want to use excuses but also realize it was against a tough opponent in a tough place.
Ya Zaps just a former pro athlete, what’s he know?!?

• Sad
Reactions: thegock
our offense had started the game moving the ball until we woke up their fans and then we were just a complete mess on offense stopped by false start after false start. The was one or two early that killed a scoring drive that may have had us with a lead through the game . Their defense was also very very good. but that single score may have made the differense.
We were beat up going into the game. A TOP D with a great coach and an environment where the fans are worth 10 points .

Last edited:
Ya Zaps just a former pro athlete, what’s he know?!?
Not criticizing anyone. Don’t use Zap the pro athlete as your defense. He knows exactly the reasons as does everyone else here. They finished 10-4 and there was a reason for that. I played against his brother …I also saw him as a high school player…he is entitled to an opinion or commentary on the game. We all are. However , his pro baseball history or high school football experience does not make him the end all.Sorry Zap … I saw your list but this could have been a much different outcome with a QB . I had great respect for his father and brothers . But people tend to use the “ well he was a pro” to often . I have known many pro athletes including 3 or 4 Yankees back in the 50’s -60’s. Several Brooklyn Dodgers as well. But unfortunately it does not always transfer to another sport.

BTW: those Pro athletes used to put their uni’s on the same as the poor schleps who never made it to the B1G SHOW. Give RESPECT sure but I’m not into glorification of any athlete or say well they are an expert on the topic. That’s the point.

Lots of disgruntled posters in this thread complaining Rutgers alumni and TKR posters need to transfer more of their income and assets to the Rutgers football program.

The donations gap between Rutgers and the B1G's big three - PSU, UM, and OSU - is large. However, the ticket sales gap is much larger.

In fiscal 2023:

Football ticket sales
RU $10,344,071
PSU $41,891,139
UM $56,986,870*
OSU $64,342,912

For Rutgers to close this revenue gap, Rutgers must:
1) Double the capacity of the football stadium
2) Double or triple ticket prices
3) Sell 100,000 tickets to each home game

Achieving all three is unlikely.

* Edited UM's football sales revenue, original post used OSU's # for UM

Last edited:
Football is a very physical game and it’s very hard to play physically for 13 games. We didn’t have enough talent, depth, or strength and conditioning.
How is that possible? How does a team one TE away from a national championship this year lack so much?

Reactions: We R New Jersey
Lots of disgruntled posters in this thread complaining Rutgers alumni and TKR posters need to transfer more of their income and assets to the Rutgers football program.

The donations gap between Rutgers and the B1G's big three - PSU, UM, and OSU - is large. However, the ticket sales gap is much larger.

In fiscal 2023:

Football ticket sales
RU $10,344,071
PSU $41,891,139
UM $64,342,912
OSU $64,342,912

I think, lately, the impact of NIL funding may be more important than school revenue in terms of recruiting success and thus overall success. There’s a minimum level of funding needed to pay a competent coaching staff and overhead. But, so far at least, schools cannot pay the players.

And RU has already met the minimum needed to cover coaches and overhead. No?

I’m not pushing anybody to do anything with their money. Just saying that I think NIL is the way that RU can level up quite a bit versus schools with giant stadiums, without incurring the overhead of funding a new or expanded stadium.

NIL can fund wins. Wins can fund ticket sales. A season full of sellouts and merchandise sales can start to fund stadium expansion.

Winning is, as always, the key.

Not criticizing anyone. Don’t use Zap the pro athlete as your defense. He knows exactly the reasons as does everyone else here. They finished 10-4 and there was a reason for that. I played against his brother …I also saw him as a high school player…he is entitled to an opinion or commentary on the game. We all are. However , his pro baseball history or high school football experience does not make him the end all.Sorry Zap … I saw your list but this could have been a much different outcome with a QB . I had great respect for his father and brothers . But people tend to use the “ well he was a pro” to often . I have known many pro athletes including 3 or 4 Yankees back in the 50’s -60’s. Several Brooklyn Dodgers as well. But unfortunately it does not always transfer to another sport.
Ok now I know you’re delusional

Reactions: We R New Jersey

In fiscal 2023:

Football ticket sales
RU $10,344,071
PSU $41,891,139
UM $64,342,912
OSU $64,342,912

Hey look. Sobriety!

Far from delusional son..if you doubt what I just said it’s exactly how I feel regarding pro athletes . I played against Pro athletes , college athletes from age 16. Unfortunately as NY Met chief scout Pete Gebrian told my late father. Mr…..he has a chance. Didn’t happen and it doesn’t for most.So I’m far from delusional.

Love our fans and even though we are small in number we can get extremely loud. But the Iowa fans were rabid from play 1 and they are easily worth 10 points. We will get there.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Youtuber Power Rankings

This guy had us pretty high... and not necessarily because of the schedule.

A small channel with 1600 subscribers, but at least some non RU folks are also believers

Because the team was still developing last year. This is a different year.
So they go from getting boat raced by a very mediocre Maryland team in the final regular season game and then magically 7 months later are one tight end Away from being able to win a national title lol

Reactions: RutgersStadium
So they go from getting boat raced by a very mediocre Maryland team in the final regular season game and then magically 7 months later are one tight end Away from being able to win a national title lol
It was Rutgersal. Don't take it seriously!

This year, we will make history, not repeat it.

Rather than responding with your typical snark and hubris, you should ask, what’s changed with Rutgers that has you believing that Rutgers is a tight end away from winning the National Title?

It is going to give me a great deal of satisfaction when Rutgers Beats Penn State next year. It’s too bad we don’t play this year. But I digress.

Rutgers QB starter last year threw for 1735 passing yards, with a 47.8% Completion Percentage. I think this years starter is capable of throwing for upwards of 3,100 yards with a percentage completion rate approaching 60%.
If our expectations are released, we will have close to an 80% increase in passing game productivity.

The talent in the receiving corp is significantly better with 2 receivers capable of 1K yards receiving:
  • Dymere Miller
  • Ian Strong
Then we have a bunch of guys who will contribute significantly:
  • Brantley
  • Dremel
  • Duff
  • Black
  • Toure
Given the expected passing games improvement, to go along with the expected improvement from the running game and defense, we should have a very good team this year.

This year, we will make history, not repeat it.

Rather than responding with your typical snark and hubris, you should ask, what’s changed with Rutgers that has you believing that Rutgers is a tight end away from winning the National Title?

It is going to give me a great deal of satisfaction when Rutgers Beats Penn State next year. It’s too bad we don’t play this year. But I digress.

Rutgers QB starter last year threw for 1735 passing yards, with a 47.8% Completion Percentage. I think this years starter is capable of throwing for upwards of 3,100 yards with a percentage completion rate approaching 60%.
If our expectations are released, we will have close to an 80% increase in passing game productivity.

The talent in the receiving corp is significantly better with 2 receivers capable of 1K yards receiving:
  • Dymere Miller
  • Ian Strong
Then we have a bunch of guys who will contribute significantly:
  • Brantley
  • Dremel
  • Duff
  • Black
  • Toure
Given the expected passing games improvement, to go along with the expected improvement from the running game and defense, we should have a very good team this year.
Whenever you do these fits of wild optimism posts, you always talk just about our team, totally ignoring our competition. That approach to "analysis" is so ridiculously oversimplified as to be laughable.

Your heart is in the right place. And you're no dummy. But in order to make a reasonable projection, you need to not only show what you think is happening with our players, but also have some in-depth understanding of, and be able to discuss, the likely players with whom our players will be competing. All of whom are working their asses off to be better every day, just like our guys. And those teams are also recruiting and attracting transfers to improve all the time, just like us.

If you want to persuade anybody of anything, you need to provide a much more complete analysis along with plenty of facts and links to information from which you're concluding that our likely starters will be able to outplay others' likely starters.

Otherwise, it's just a bunch of noisy homerism.

Top Big Ten teams have winning conference records and are capable of selling out their home stadiums. Rutgers isn’t there yet, but this coming season could be a step in the right direction.
Stupid post # 4 ? Dummy people make statements which proves they know absolutely nothing about past games …

• Angry
Reactions: RutgersStadium
You mean like the QB play at Iowa? MSU? penn St? Wisconsin? We are very close or even at their level today with all of our upperclassmen. penn St is a notch above the rest here but you get my point. None of these teams have QB's who win games by themselves. Not even close. Hell even Michigan relies on the run game and great defenses way more than their QB.

The key is continuity. Iowa is consistently good. Not great but very consistent. We are just climbing but clearly climbing and not stagnant or even up and down right now.

The new Big Teams change what I am saying but I want to see how they do before I comment. I wish they all had to play our grind of a schedule the past 10 years. The BIG can be brutal when you lack depth. We always played Iowa tough but I think they wore our teams down every year we played them and others too. It's not the little 10.
The reason that Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State win games with less than stellar QB play is because they get above average to excellent OL play year in and year out.

The reason that Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State win games with less than stellar QB play is because they get above average to excellent OL play year in and year out.

Oddly enough I just ran across a 2019 RU vs Iowa gif on my PC.
Iowa won 30-0 and their OL just crushed RU.
Bad old days

xYZfZuX.gif

Whenever you do these fits of wild optimism posts, you always talk just about our team, totally ignoring our competition. That approach to "analysis" is so ridiculously oversimplified as to be laughable.

Your heart is in the right place. And you're no dummy. But in order to make a reasonable projection, you need to not only show what you think is happening with our players, but also have some in-depth understanding of, and be able to discuss, the likely players with whom our players will be competing. All of whom are working their asses off to be better every day, just like our guys. And those teams are also recruiting and attracting transfers to improve all the time, just like us.

If you want to persuade anybody of anything, you need to provide a much more complete analysis along with plenty of facts and links to information from which you're concluding that our likely starters will be able to outplay others' likely starters.

Otherwise, it's just a bunch of noisy homerism.
Noisy “homerism” 🤭😆 your post would have been just as complete with only these two words! 😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT