ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers football becoming a top Big 10 program?

You’re right. We can discuss it. But it’s a silly discussion.
we finished right in the middle of the pack last year...but also gave Mich and OSU a couple of their toughest games all year. And since the OP was clear we aren't there yet but could it be possible over the next few years- it isn't that silly to discuss. Even if your opinion is that we are not even close, that is part of the discussion. No one is telling you not to participate in the thread because you have a different opinion

we finished right in the middle of the pack last year...but also gave Mich and OSU a couple of their toughest games all year. And since the OP was clear we aren't there yet but could it be possible over the next few years- it isn't that silly to discuss. Even if your opinion is that we are not even close, that is part of the discussion. No one is telling you not to participate in the thread because you have a different opinion
Saying a discussion is silly is not the same as saying "don't discuss it"

A discussion on aliens landing in new mexico in the 60s is also silly; plenty of people discuss it.

This sidebar conversation we're having is kind of silly as well, considering you're using alot of words to tell me why it's perfectly logical to discuss rutgers being a prominent, top big ten team despite you, yourself, making no such statement for or against that...

...Which is smart, b/c you are smart enough to know that the notion that we're a "top big ten program" or within shouting distance of that is...what's the word?

Saying a discussion is silly is not the same as saying "don't discuss it"

A discussion on aliens landing in new mexico in the 60s is also silly; plenty of people discuss it.

This sidebar conversation we're having is kind of silly as well, considering you're using alot of words to tell me why it's perfectly logical to discuss rutgers being a prominent, top big ten team despite you, yourself, making no such statement for or against that...

...Which is smart, b/c you are smart enough to know that the notion that we're a "top big ten program" or within shouting distance of that is...what's the word?
I believe I had responses earlier and throughout the discussion.

I believe I had responses earlier and throughout the discussion.
Ah sorry. I’ll backtrack and take a look.

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, although I’m sure I’m coming off as one.

When we got absolutely obliterated last year vs Iowa and Maryland in “revenge” games I gave up any illusion of being in the top half

Some think investing in this program with with this coach is wasted money. Basketball is a better investment. Just a couple of players can make a huge impact on winning
Why would they think it’s wasted money? He’s taken the program from 3 wins in year 1 to 7 Wins in year 5, during his 2nd tenure here.

Basketball has better prospects for this year due to the lottery players, but the future is uncertain.
Even this year is somewhat unknown because Cliff is elsewhere, and we don’t know what impact the new Centers will have.

Football has been built slowly and deliberately, with a much more stable foundation, and is poised to be successful going forward. We are solid at every position.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I am agreeing with AL. Or maybe I am still under the influence from last night
Will say it again here… 9-3 plus bowl win . 10-3 though many will still sell this team short. If you listen to the Reem n Beem podcast there is a hint of cockiness. Something Rutgers has lacked . Athan at the end says it all.Why not Rutgers?

Reactions: thegock

When we got absolutely obliterated last year vs Iowa and Maryland in “revenge” games I gave up any illusion of being in the top half
Football is a very physical game and it’s very hard to play physically for 13 games. We didn’t have enough talent, depth, or strength and conditioning. Playing Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State took a lot out of us, and we ran out of gas in November. It’s as simple as that.

Had we played Maryland and Iowa towards the beginning of the season, I think we beat them. I think we beat Maryland this year, because our schedule is far more favorable, they lose Taulia, and we are a far more stronger, talented and a better conditioned team.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR

You mean the game which was 6-0 into the 4th quarter… yes , Iowa scored 16 pts In that 4th . We are not the same team offensively this season. We are on paper better still on D. Why conjecture at this point it is arbitrary and we will need to show that we deserve our pre season semi hype.

Football is a very physical game and it’s very hard to play physically for 13 games. We didn’t have enough talent, depth, or strength and conditioning. Playing Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State took a lot out of us, and we ran out of gas in November. It’s as simple as that.

Had we played Maryland and Iowa towards the beginning of the season, I think we beat them. I think we beat Maryland this year, because our schedule is far more favorable, they lose Taulia, and we are a far more stronger, talented and a better conditioned team.
but no Fieldhouse or a coach who game plans to throw on 3rd and 7 or score 3 tds.

Sure, it’s not a waste of money if your goal is a bowl at 6-6, 3 conference wins and 3 noncompetitive losses.

If that’s a good investment to you, donate away !

Nevermind that not donating will get you that outcome.

but no Fieldhouse or a coach who game plans to throw on 3rd and 7 or score 3 tds.

Sure, it’s not a waste of money if your goal is a bowl at 6-6, 3 conference wins and 3 noncompetitive losses.

If that’s a good investment to you, donate away !

Nevermind that not donating will get you that outcome.
6-6 after having not won 6 games in 9 years is an amazing accomplishment. 2022 was a point of inflection and the program is on an upward trajectory, with a chance to win 8-12 games this year. Last year we play called according to our personnel and what we did best. This year we will be mostly throwing on 3rd and 7.

Ok, Fieldhouse Al. If there’s a chance to win 12, isn’t there also a chance to win 15 ?

I think right now a lot of top recruits who will eventually headed for top teams are holding back looking for NIL stuff. The top teams have suspiciously low recruiting tally right now.

RU has (Rivals) 22 players with 3 stars and OSU has 0 - Bama has 2.
Obviously that will be changing.
RU can be a team players take early and then drop if they get a better offer.
June is way early to be flexing imo
Cause we had so many decommits last year….uh oh. Ummm. Never mind.

I get ya- my point was that OP didn’t say we were but can we be on our way. 2 different things. We are not in the top half right now- maybe close.

BTW- the Iowa game- would have loved to see it played here or neutral. That crowd may have been the craziest of all away games we have played…

Reactions: Randal7
Ok, Fieldhouse Al. If there’s a chance to win 12, isn’t there also a chance to win 15 ?
In fairness, RutgersAl said 8 to 12 wins and Phil Steele has us at 8 wins this year. The low end of Al’s range is the baseline expectation by a respected analyst and there could be upside (or downside) from that starting point.

Reactions: rutgersal
I get ya- my point was that OP didn’t say we were but can we be on our way. 2 different things. We are not in the top half right now- maybe close.

BTW- the Iowa game- would have loved to see it played here or neutral. That crowd may have been the craziest of all away games we have played…
Wait didn’t some say it was a blowout?

You mean the game which was 6-0 into the 4th quarter… yes , Iowa scored 16 pts In that 4th . We are not the same team offensively this season. We are on paper better still on D. Why conjecture at this point it is arbitrary and we will need to show that we deserve our pre season semi hype.
Cmon Bob. You can do better than that. Iowa couldn’t throw the ball. They couldn’t throw.

Sounds like excuses to me

Cmon Bob. You can do better than that. Iowa couldn’t throw the ball. They couldn’t throw.
But it was not a blowout . Cmon Randal you can do much better. Iowa and Rutgers were basically even up.We all are aware we had no offense and neither did they.

But it was not a blowout . Cmon Randal you can do much better. Iowa and Rutgers were basically even up.We all are aware we had no offense and neither did they.
I disagree with your contention that wasn’t a blowout. We never came close to scoring. And again, this was the revenge game. It was an extremely poor effort in a big spot, and Iowa grinded us into dust like they ALWAYS do (we are 0-4 against them let me remind ya, having been outscored 17 to 93)

Schiano even talked about it as a revenge game and that was the best we had? Iowa fired their o coordinator basically right after and the guy was a dead man walking during that game. There was just no good reason to get shut out and have 127 yards (127!) of total offense to Iowas 400.

But ya know what, whatever you say.

I just disagree with ya.

Last edited:
I think right now a lot of top recruits who will eventually headed for top teams are holding back looking for NIL stuff. The top teams have suspiciously low recruiting tally right now.

RU has (Rivals) 22 players with 3 stars and OSU has 0 - Bama has 2.
Obviously that will be changing.
RU can be a team players take early and then drop if they get a better offer.
June is way early to be flexing imo
You’re too logical for these parts. Love our class so far and pretty amazing coming off only a decent year. But a long way to go to the top and how can u say too 15 classes will be the norm when we probably won’t finished top 20/25 this year.

I disagree with your contention that wasn’t a blowout. We never came close to scoring. And again, this was the revenge game. It was an extremely poor effort in a big spot, and Iowa grinded us into dust like they ALWAYS do (we are 0-4 against them let me remind ya, having been outscored 17 to 93)

Schiano even talked about it as a revenge game and that was the best we had? Iowa fired their o coordinator basically right after and the guy was a dead man walking during that game. There was just no good reason to get shut out and have 127 yards (127!) of total offense to Iowas 400.

But ya know what, whatever you say.

I just disagree with ya.
You can disagree but it was not a blowout by any stretch. As bad as the O was the game was 6-0 in the 4th away at Iowa. Use your head.

I actually watch the games Bob.
I sort of agree with you on this- even at 6-0 it never felt like we had a chance. Their D was much better than expected, it was like saying losing 2-0 in a baseball game where the other pitcher threw a perfect game, was close.
But…play that game anywhere else, and it would have been much different. That game was won by their fans.

Reactions: Randal7
Then you need to be more aware of what you are actually seeing. What is your definition of an actual blowout game? If you said our O sucks the. You would be accurate.
I never said blowout. I used “obliterated”

Sounds like excuses to me
What were you expecting Randall? The baseline expectation was 6 Wins. We won 6 Games, and had a winning season for the first time in 9 years.

Despite our limitations, it was a successful season. This year, we fixed our passing attack with better talent, and are well positioned to build upon last year’s progress. It should be a very good year.

Reactions: RUBOB72
What were you expecting Randall? The baseline expectation was 6 Wins. We won 6 Games, and had a winning season for the first time in 9 years.

Despite our limitations, it was a successful season. This year, we fixed our passing attack with better talent, and are well positioned to build upon last year’s progress. It should be a very good year.
Baseline expectations was lower than 6 wins- last year was a huge success. And the way we played in our losses to Mich and OSU made our season that much better. I know you and I are agreeing but I may even be saying you are down playing it, if that is possible. lol

Rutgers was a very small , poor, private college, and then a very small, poor, private college with a land grant school in those days. By the time the Ivys de-emphasized football, Rutgers was still a small school, although now an underfunded State University, that was expanding with lots of WWII surplus buildings and a growing student body filled with veterans under the GI bill.
Rutgers didn’t really begin to transform into a large school until RC went co-ed in 1980.

Princeton always drew largely from elite society while Rutgers was often where the first one in a family to attend college went.

Comparing historical alumni donations between PU and RU is not a fair comparison.
Agreed.

Rutgers College went coed in 1970, not 1980.

I was expecting something other than listless. You all should go back and watch the game. I think you are misremembering.

Better yet, read the game thread.

Baseline expectations was lower than 6 wins- last year was a huge success. And the way we played in our losses to Mich and OSU made our season that much better. I know you and I are agreeing but I may even be saying you are down playing it, if that is possible. lol
In a thread about our potential to be a top big ten team we’re talking about it being a “huge success” winning 6?

To be a top big ten team you have to win over and over and over again. You need battle stripes. Maybe Schiano goes 84-36 over the next 10 years (which would get him to a .600 win percentage at Rutgers for his career). Then we’re talking. Right now he’s 8 games under .500 and you don’t wanna know what the big East/ big ten league record is.

I’m just keeping it real. I’m trying to stay sober over here

Yup. It’s a really good OP.

We were beating Ohio State in the 3rd quarter last year. We played better and more physical than Ohio State in the first half. Think about that for a moment.

And then the Wimsatt jump pass that was returned for a pick 6 changed the game. We were already leading and we were going in for another score!! Crap, I am still pissed.

If we figure out QB, we are going to be very dangerous.

Reactions: thegock and Kbee3
Total yardage:
Iowa……..407
Rutgers.. 127
Time of possession:
Iowa………38 minutes
Rutgers…21
Passing yards:
Iowa……..223
Rutgers…93
Blowout home or away
Thank you! Who’s watching that game?! Haha

I was expecting something other than listless. You all should go back and watch the game. I think you are misremembering.

Better yet, read the game thread.
Before there was Rutgers 28 Louisville 25,
There were many disappointing performances. Disappointing games are part of the journey.
That game inspired us to make changes which will help us do better this year.

Total yardage:
Iowa……..407
Rutgers.. 127
Time of possession:
Iowa………38 minutes
Rutgers…21
Passing yards:
Iowa……..223
Rutgers…93
Blowout home or away
Come on Zap… not a strong showing but blowout or obliterated ? If we had some semblance of an offense that 6-0 4th doesn’t wind up 22-0. We realize it wasn’t our best but we also played an extremely tough last 5 games schedule. I don’t want to use excuses but also realize it was against a tough opponent in a tough place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT