ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers football becoming a top Big 10 program?

In the B1G East- outside of PSU/Mich/OSU
In the last 3 years- only once has a team been +.500 in conf. That was MSU in 21..,

That is just nasty…
Tough conference. It’s still gonna be a tough conference having shed the East/West divisions.

Good. If and when RUFB eventually gets to the top, it’ll actually mean something.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
It is this year, for sure. The best team we'll face will be maybe USC or Virginia tech according to preseason rankings. I doubt Washington is going to be a top 25 team after losing a lot of players and their head coach.
It does seem, on paper at least, that this season will be our best chance to get to 5 conference wins since we joined the Big Ten. Still, is not gonna be easy.

Why not? The collective doesn’t generate enough money. There is a reason Tennessee has 20 4&5 star recruits in Knoxville right now for OV’s because the volunteer club gets people to open their wallets
We have lots of people with wallets. The challenge is getting them to open them to support Rutgers Athletics, as Athletic Success isn’t as important to Rutgers fans as it is to Tennessee fans, Penn State fans, Ohio State fans, or Michigan fans. This is the harsh reality that I have reconciled myself to. I’m hopeful that with consistent success, more people will be inclined to give.

We have lots of people with wallets. The challenge is getting them to open them to support Rutgers Athletics, as Athletic Success isn’t as important to Rutgers fans as it is to Tennessee fans, Penn State fans, Ohio State fans, or Michigan fans. This is the harsh reality that I have reconciled myself to. I’m hopeful that with consistent success, more people will be inclined to give.

Give to who? Players who in some situation make more than the average fan here? F that.

I think right now a lot of top recruits who will eventually headed for top teams are holding back looking for NIL stuff. The top teams have suspiciously low recruiting tally right now.

RU has (Rivals) 22 players with 3 stars and OSU has 0 - Bama has 2.
Obviously that will be changing.
RU can be a team players take early and then drop if they get a better offer.
June is way early to be flexing imo
We are the safety school...

Give to who? Players who in some situation make more than the average fan here? F that.
Give to the R Fund to support the building of the Fieldhouse, if you don’t want to give to players.

But players are getting what the market will bear. This is the price of success. Basketball had a few supporters step up and bring a few lottery pick players here. We need similar godfathers for football. Or Lots of fans giving supporting would work too.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Why do you feel that is so AL? Is it no state pride , the indifference or something more?
I know this isn’t PC, but I also wonder if the demographics and cultural diversity hurt Rutgers in this regard.

Reactions: motorb54
Why do you feel that is so AL? Is it no state pride , the indifference or something more?
I know this isn’t PC, but I also wonder if the demographics and cultural diversity hurt Rutgers in this regard.
Partially that but more of the lack of success

You saw what you were capable of as a fan base and state pride in the 06 season, specifically with the Louisville game

We have all the potential in the world, we just need to reach our full potential

Reactions: Spanky Da Karen
Rutgers FB Lifetime Results in the BIG 10

2014 ... 8-5 ... 3-5 ... 3 B1G wins
2015 ... 4-8 ... 1-7 ... 1 B1G wins
2016 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2017 ... 4-8 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2018 ... 1-11 ... 0-9 ...0 B1G wins
2019 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2020 ... 3-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2021 ... 5-8 ... 2-7 ... 2 B1G wins
2022 ... 4-8 ... 1-8 ... 1 B1G wins
2023 ... 7-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins

Only 16 Big Ten wins in 10 Big Ten seasons for an average conference win rate of 1.6 wins per season. We have yet to exceed 3 Big Ten wins, or a mere third of our conference games, in any season.

Y'all can view it however you want. But I'm not gonna start declaring us a top-ten, or even top-half, Big Ten team until we win over half our conference games for several seasons in a row. To do so sooner seems premature, and a little lame in a participation-trophy-esque way to me.

IMO, it's far better to play big than talk big.
The proclamations of future success without any are shocking.
Show me!

A good part of it is a lot of people who went to Rutgers thought the school provided terrible service. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State fans have tremendous pride in their school.

I don’t think cultural diversity hurts Rutgers. I think other schools have fostered a culture of supporting the school.

Partially that but more of the lack of success

You saw what you were capable of as a fan base and state pride in the 06 season, specifically with the Louisville game

We have all the potential in the world, we just need to reach our full potential
Would that level of success lead to the fanbase opening the wallet ?

A good part of it is a lot of people who went to Rutgers thought the school provided terrible service. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State fans have tremendous pride in their school.

I don’t think cultural diversity hurts Rutgers. I think other schools have fostered a culture of supporting the school.
That is true.

I do think the cultural diversity aspect hurts Rutgers financial support of athletics . Some cultures care and participate in athletics less than others

Would that level of success lead to the fanbase opening the wallet ?
Perception is vital.
Networks and media giving us primetime, national kickoff times on Saturdays is huge.
We’ve had a few and for the most part shite the bed on those chances.
Of course the fans and corporations will open their wallets, it’s a natural progression that happens from winning.

Unfortunately it’s a chicken vs egg scenario, we need magic, most often that magic occurs in the form of an obvious game changing talented quarterback, capable of running your complete offense, take you on 80 yard TD drives in the last two minutes throwing the ball, and keeps your defense off the field.

The philosophy of eating clock and running the ball ain’t changing perception against top teams, it’s a formula to keep it close for a half or even three quarters, then get your doors blown off in the final fifteen minutes, it a formula to lose

Last edited:
I have a healthy respect for how difficult it would be to raise the team’s talent level to that of the top teams in the expanded conference, however there’s no denying that recruits are buying into the program in a big way and momentum appears to be on our side (where is all this NIL money coming from!?). Is it conceivable that Rutgers is now on a path where top 15 recruiting classes become the norm and over the next few years we climb into to the top echelon of the Big 10?
GS 2.0 is starting to get media attention for building the program the right way:

This has not been accidental. The structuring taking place is an example of Schiano growing as a HC. Can he be frustrating at times? Yes… There isn’t a Rutgers fan who doesn’t realize top talent wins games .We see some level of talent and expect more of those type to join Schiano and his staff.We need that SPECIAL season in 2024. I believe that if we can stay healthy many things will turn out well.

Perception is vital.
Networks and media giving us primetime, national kickoff times on Saturdays is huge.
We’ve had a few and for the most part shite the bed on those chances.
Of course the fans and corporations will open their wallets, it’s a natural progression that happens from winning.

Unfortunately it’s a chicken vs egg scenario, we need magic, most often that magic occurs in the form of an obvious game changing talented quarterback, capable of running your complete offense, take you on 80 yard TD drives in the last two minutes throwing the ball, and keeps your defense off the field.

The philosophy of eating clock and running the ball ain’t changing perception against top teams, it’s a formula to keep it close for a half or even three quarters, then get your doors blown off in the final fifteen minutes, it a formula to lose
have to agree with this

Until RU gets consistent QB play they will not move to the upper 1/4 of the league. Every once in a while you need your QB to win a game, almost by himself, and that has not happened to RU in a long time.
You mean like the QB play at Iowa? MSU? penn St? Wisconsin? We are very close or even at their level today with all of our upperclassmen. penn St is a notch above the rest here but you get my point. None of these teams have QB's who win games by themselves. Not even close. Hell even Michigan relies on the run game and great defenses way more than their QB.

The key is continuity. Iowa is consistently good. Not great but very consistent. We are just climbing but clearly climbing and not stagnant or even up and down right now.

The new Big Teams change what I am saying but I want to see how they do before I comment. I wish they all had to play our grind of a schedule the past 10 years. The BIG can be brutal when you lack depth. We always played Iowa tough but I think they wore our teams down every year we played them and others too. It's not the little 10.

Reactions: thegock
Rutgers has climbed up to be a "solid" B1G team...

And what I really like about the current recruiting class is that it is loaded on the high level 3 stars. These are the kids that will usually bust their asses, have great talent and not come in as a prima donna.
And- they build such a solid foundation and depth. There really aren't any reaches.

I would like to see AK have a solid year and at least 1 of our WR's with 60+ catches. Those two things could really open up the eyes of the next set of recruits.
Like the Basketball player from Mahwah who made it to the NFL?

Like the Basketball player from Mahwah who made it to the NFL?
hahaha but he was a NR at that time. And then again- somehow a NR player had offers from Rutgers, Maryland, GaTech, NC State, USF, UCF - could have been a handful more but he shut those down before they could get to an offer.

You mean like the QB play at Iowa? MSU? penn St? Wisconsin? We are very close or even at their level today with all of our upperclassmen. penn St is a notch above the rest here but you get my point. None of these teams have QB's who win games by themselves. Not even close. Hell even Michigan relies on the run game and great defenses way more than their QB.

The key is continuity. Iowa is consistently good. Not great but very consistent. We are just climbing but clearly climbing and not stagnant or even up and down right now.

The new Big Teams change what I am saying but I want to see how they do before I comment. I wish they all had to play our grind of a schedule the past 10 years. The BIG can be brutal when you lack depth. We always played Iowa tough but I think they wore our teams down every year we played them and others too. It's not the little 10.
agree with most of this and especially the continuity but you can't discount quality QB play as RU fans know all too well

hahaha but he was a NR at that time. And then again- somehow a NR player had offers from Rutgers, Maryland, GaTech, NC State, USF, UCF - could have been a handful more but he shut those down before they could get to an offer.
Heard directly he was one of the hardest working kids on those teams.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

This is what surprised the crap out of me as I watched Maryland make the transition. It's hard to explain. I can assure you that my ACC buddies think I'm stupid when I try to. But a thin lineup was enough in that league; not so in the B1G....

Reactions: Yeah Baby and dmaw

Why do their QB’s look like first round picks against us

That is true.

I do think the cultural diversity aspect hurts Rutgers financial support of athletics . Some cultures care and participate in athletics less than others
I disagree, i think the schools culture matters more. If basketball goes like we all hope it will, it should be able to prove out our differing theories.

If you don’t want to donate that’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with that. But why disparage people that want to give a little if they can afford to?

Reactions: BLewis1968
If you don’t want to donate that’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with that. But why disparage people that want to give a little if they can afford to?
The thing is, most if not all this board can afford to give $10 a month.

It’s about priorities and what they deem to be important enough.

I will never disparage anyone who does not give, as its solely a personal choice and everyone has their own bills to deal with with

But if you do not donate (and have the ability to, but choose not to ), you have zero reason to complain and bitch about the success, or lack there of, the athletic program (and specifically football) on a football message board.

Reactions: BLewis1968 and dmaw
The thing is, most if not all this board can afford to give $10 a month.

It’s about priorities and what they deem to be important enough.

I will never disparage anyone who does not give, as its solely a personal choice and everyone has their own bills to deal with with

But if you do not donate (and have the ability to, but choose not to ), you have zero reason to complain and bitch about the success, or lack there of, the athletic program (and specifically football) on a football message board.

Not sure your conclusion follows your premise but you can have whatever opinion you like.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

Where does my quoted statement disparage anyone? Though I do believe you guys are being taken advantage of with this "NIL" donation program.

This has not been accidental. The structuring taking place is an example of Schiano growing as a HC. Can he be frustrating at times? Yes… There isn’t a Rutgers fan who doesn’t realize top talent wins games .We see some level of talent and expect more of those type to join Schiano and his staff.We need that SPECIAL season in 2024. I believe that if we can stay healthy many things will turn out well.

I’m optimistic because I think Schiano is building the program for longer-term success. Developing strong offensive and defensive lines takes time and has begun bearing fruit.

Reactions: thegock
Not sure your conclusion follows your premise but you can have whatever opinion you like.
The premises I will not hose anyone that does not donate, the conclusion is, if we fail to achieve the success that we have the ability to, those that do not donate Do not have the right to bemoan fact that we have not reached that level that we have the virus to achieve

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT