ADVERTISEMENT

4 Game Win Streak - Dead Cat Bounce

RAC93

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2023
It looks as if the 4 game win streak with the return of Jeremiah Williams, like a stock, was a dead cat bounce for RU. It seemed like they were ascending but it was fools gold as they’re back to the downward trend pre-Jeremiah. 📉 It’s unfortunate, but here we are back to the same place with poor all around play, poor shooting (threes, FTs, you name it), poor box outs, and even the defense is dropping off. At this point, NIT doesn’t feel like it will happen. OSU, the last home game opponent who just canned their coach, is playing significantly better than RU right now with recent wins over Purdue and MSU on the road. We’ll see how this team finishes, but it feels like they’re right back where they were after the 46 point game against PSU sitting at 10-10 with yesterday’s 46 point game. The more things change the more they stay the same, as they say. Pike has a lot of work ahead to gain back some positive momentum over the last 4 games and Big Ten tourney.

Hopefully we haven’t dragged Jeremiah into the muck with this team. Unfortunately, he’s played like everyone else the last two games.

Reactions: tm_nj and RAC93
Hopefully we haven’t dragged Jeremiah into the muck with this team. Unfortunately, he’s played like everyone else the last two games.
He's just playing to what he is. Better than our other guards, but not good enough for a good team.

Reactions: RAC93
Not a dead cat bounce. We were playing D at a ridiculous rate and had guys playing too many minutes and we have collectively hit a wall on D.

If we go back in time at Pike’s history there have been a bunch of these.

Losing stinks and it feels like our offense is terrible. It is but it isnt much different than what we have been this year. Our D has gone from elite to pedestrian in the last 3 games. Dangerous if your offense is putrid.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Not a dead cat bounce. We were playing D at a ridiculous rate and had guys playing too many minutes and we have collectively hit a wall on D.

If we go back in time at Pike’s history there have been a bunch of these.

Losing stinks and it feels like our offense is terrible. It is but it isnt much different than what we have been this year. Our D has gone from elite to pedestrian in the last 3 games. Dangerous if your offense is putrid.

Exactly a dead cat bounce

This team is as bad as we thought pre J Will

Exactly a dead cat bounce

This team is as bad as we thought pre J Will
Wow when we were winning those 4 games you were predicting wins and giving praise. As usual, you jump on and off the bandwagon -- no consistency in your " expert" analysis -- just a reaction to results. It all just shows, like all of us, we know little and sometimes it's better never jump to conclusions one way or the other because it just makes one look silly and not credible.

In the first paragraph of the Star Ledger article on the Maryland game is this sentence
'' In a season filled with putrid offense,Rutgers basketball left some of the worst for a crucial game in late February".Hopefully, the coaching staff hears the need for dramatic changes in roster formation for next season with emphasis on shooting ability .Rutgers can't waste having two elite recruits on the court joined bye players that are poor shooters.Pikiell has been a great spokesmen for Rutgers University on and off the court.The corrective action needs to start the day the team plays their last game .

Wow when we were winning those 4 games you were predicting wins and giving praise. As usual, you jump on and off the bandwagon -- no consistency in your " expert" analysis -- just a reaction to results. It all just shows, like all of us, we know little and sometimes it's better never jump to conclusions one way or the other because it just makes one look silly and not credible.
Turns out it was a dead cat bounce

J will wasnt god and we are exactly what we were after Penn State debacle.

This team can turn it around with a few tweaks and rotation changes. I dont expect the latter to occur

This team can turn it around with a few tweaks and rotation changes. I dont expect the latter to occur
turn what around..if you mean wins at home vs the worst team in the lead with a dead man walking coach or a team who fired their coach and still are losers of 10 of last 14 and 17 of last 18 road games despite their recent rally around aberration

The phenomonon of a "dead cat bounce" doesn't really translate to sports.

It's almost like there is a wide spread in how a team plays.. both the four game win steak and the Stonehill/Maryland/Penn St games are this team and they both represent the team. Just like the Lehigh/UMass/Depaul/Lafayette and fantastic win streak both represented the 2021-22 team. The "true" team is somewhere between the extremes.

And people were always on drugs thinking that the addition of Jeremiah Williams was some magic bullet instead of an incremental improvement.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
And yet our worse team in years may actually still give us a winning season you know something that was VERY rare in any season pre Pike

Reactions: RUskoolie
The phenomonon of a "dead cat bounce" doesn't really translate to sports.

It's almost like there is a wide spread in how a team plays.. both the four game win steak and the Stonehill/Maryland/Penn St games are this team and they both represent the team. Just like the Lehigh/UMass/Depaul/Lafayette and fantastic win streak both represented the 2021-22 team. The "true" team is somewhere between the extremes.

And people were always on drugs thinking that the addition of Jeremiah Williams was some magic bullet instead of an incremental improvement.
Guilty of taking drugs

I forget the year, but CROX reported reduced sales and high inventory levels. The stock tanked and I was in a deep hole. Then over the following days, it came almost all the way back. Instead of thanking God for the "dead cat bounce" and getting out with a small loss, I convinced myself that I was right all along and the stock would keep going higher. It didn't and I got buried.

Let's see what happens over the next 4 games. If RU goes 2-2 or better, it wasn't a dead cat bounce. If they go 1-3 or worse, it most definitely was a dead cat bounce.

Years later, CROX recovered. But I was long gone by then. I'll stay for the RU recovery.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
turn what around..if you mean wins at home vs the worst team in the lead with a dead man walking coach or a team who fired their coach and still are losers of 10 of last 14 and 17 of last 18 road games despite their recent rally around aberration
finishing your season on Wednesday in front of 500 fans is a way I don't want to see the season end.

I forget the year, but CROX reported reduced sales and high inventory levels. The stock tanked and I was in a deep hole. Then over the following days, it came almost all the way back. Instead of thanking God for the "dead cat bounce" and getting out with a small loss, I convinced myself that I was right all along and the stock would keep going higher. It didn't and I got buried.

Let's see what happens over the next 4 games. If RU goes 2-2 or better, it wasn't a dead cat bounce. If they go 1-3 or worse, it most definitely was a dead cat bounce.

Years later, CROX recovered. But I was long gone by then. I'll stay for the RU recovery.
Hold is Gold

finishing your season on Wednesday in front of 500 fans is a way I don't want to see the season end.
Rutgers Nation has been fantastic despite the terrible play at home. The sellouts against Penn State ( putrid performance ) were followed by sellouts against Wisconsin and Northwestern and despite the 2 game losing streak , Maryland was another sellout. I presume you meant Thursday but Rutgers Nation will likely show up for Michigan and Ohio State.
If you meant Wednesday of the tourney , Pike has to figure out why they play horrendously at home offensively in almost all the games except Wisconsin. It doesn’t look good now but not locked into Wednesday just yet

Rutgers Nation has been fantastic despite the terrible play at home. The sellouts against Penn State ( putrid performance ) were followed by sellouts against Wisconsin and Northwestern and despite the 2 game losing streak , Maryland was another sellout. I presume you meant Thursday but Rutgers Nation will likely show up for Michigan and Ohio State.
If you meant Wednesday of the tourney , Pike has to figure out why they play horrendously at home offensively in almost all the games except Wisconsin. It doesn’t look good now but not locked into Wednesday just yet
B1G tournament

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT