ADVERTISEMENT

4 star RB chooses Pitt over Spartans & Badgers

Innermind

Junior
Sep 18, 2012
http://247sports.com/Player/George-Hill-37824

4 star ATH/RB George Hill out of Hubbard, Ohio had decommitted from Ohio State in October. Michigan State and Wisconsin were considered the favorites for Hill, but in a bit of a surprise, George Hill today committed to Pitt:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...rb-george-hill-announces-he-go-pitt/77558588/

Apparently, Hill's December 11 official visit to Pitt went very well... as a result, Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi beats out his mentor Mark Dantonio.

With Hubbard, OH being only approx. an hour drive from Pittsburgh, I would guess that the geographic proximity to home played a significant factor in Hill's decision.

But still... Pitt over both Wisconsin and Michigan State (and Nebraska too)... wow!

I thought for sure he was heading to MSU when he decommitted.

I hadn't followed him much since the decommittment, but apparently Ohio State wanted him at WR and he wants to play defense. May be a great decision for him to play for Narduzzi.

Reactions: RUtix4me
Word is he wants to play on defense, so committing to Narduzzi made sense since Narduzzi is somewhat of a defensive wizard

I would have thought, Pitt would have fallen into a black hole going into the ACC. I was wrong.

Pitt has every bit the football tradition of Wisconsin or Michigan State - arguably more - but that sort of historical appeal doesn't always resonate with current kids. I'm sure most kids would usually just rather play football in the Big Ten than the ACC. I would. But sometimes you just get a feel about a place, whether it's because of the people or the surroundings - it's so subjective.

I think the B1G story is tOSU losing two primo running back recruits in a matter of two months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve The Plumber
Pitt is ahead of us in recruiting at the moment because they had the foresight to get rid of their poor coaches, where as we held on to ours for too long and are reaping what we've sown. On the bright side, I'm confident Ash can have this type of success in his first year here, and am looking forward to watching him hit the trail for 2017.

Reactions: #1 RUFan and KJ_RU
Pitt is ahead of us in recruiting at the moment because they had the foresight to get rid of their poor coaches, where as we held on to ours for too long and are reaping what we've sown. On the bright side, I'm confident Ash can have this type of success in his first year here, and am looking forward to watching him hit the trail for 2017.
Well..in actuality, Pitt lost a few coaches who bailed on the program...from Todd Graham to Paul Chryst. If Narduzzi looking at the Rutgers opening is true, you have to wonder why it is that coaches don't want to stick around there. I've always viewed them as pretty equivalent to Rutgers...a good regional program, but not a national program.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Posted by a Michigan fan... Weird

Innermind's always been a valuable poster on this board, but yeah, WTF?

I guess it's a Wolverines vs Spartans thing... it's in our blood here in Michigan. I just find it pretty cool to see the student (Narduzzi) score a small victory over the mentor (Dantonio).

I was hoping for Wisconsin to land George Hill, as I like to see the top athletes in the B1G footprint choose to attend a B1G school... but I giggled and smiled a bit when this kid chose the ACC over MSU. I guess since the Wolverines cannot beat Sparty on the field, I instead have to enjoy these little moments of sadness in East Lansing.

As of today, MSU still has no RB commits in their 2016 class: http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits ... then again, Dantonio has a pretty good stable of RB's, especially Freshman LJ Scott, who is gonna be a pain in the arse for the rest of the B1G over the next few years. The Iowa Hawkeyes could not stop Scott during that 9 minute, 22 play drive in the 4th quarter of the B1G CCG (I shudder to think how better Scott's gonna become over the next few seasons).

Have a good holiday everyone!

GO BLUE!

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Seems like one or more boosters (envelope men) are stepping their game up at Pitt.

Hopefully the admin made the right choice with Ash because Narduzzi seems to be killing it in recruiting right now. Pitt has very little to offer with fans and real home field somewhat do you think he could have done here. Just sayin

Hopefully the admin made the right choice with Ash because Narduzzi seems to be killing it in recruiting right now. Pitt has very little to offer with fans and real home field somewhat do you think he could have done here. Just sayin

Might want to pump the brakes a bit. They are currently ranked #41.

Narduzzi has been there for nearly a year, first of all, and this class is ranked 41st AFTER going 8-4 and headed to a bowl game.

Can we please not act as if he's got a Top 10 class following a 2-10 season? Unreal.

I guess it's a Wolverines vs Spartans thing... it's in our blood here in Michigan. I just find it pretty cool to see the student (Narduzzi) score a small victory over the mentor (Dantonio).

I was hoping for Wisconsin to land George Hill, as I like to see the top athletes in the B1G footprint choose to attend a B1G school... but I giggled and smiled a bit when this kid chose the ACC over MSU. I guess since the Wolverines cannot beat Sparty on the field, I instead have to enjoy these little moments of sadness in East Lansing.

As of today, MSU still has no RB commits in their 2016 class: http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits ... then again, Dantonio has a pretty good stable of RB's, especially Freshman LJ Scott, who is gonna be a pain in the arse for the rest of the B1G over the next few years. The Iowa Hawkeyes could not stop Scott during that 9 minute, 22 play drive in the 4th quarter of the B1G CCG (I shudder to think how better Scott's gonna become over the next few seasons).

Have a good holiday everyone!

GO BLUE!
That touchdown by Scott was epic. Maybe my favorite play of the year.

Narduzzi may be a strong recruiter. However he has been helped by new coaches at Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, and Syracuse plus the uncertainty at West Virginia.

Reactions: ruready07

They got rid of their coaches? More like their coaches got rid of them.

Narduzzi was a 'name' long time Def Coord before Pitt got him. Improved the team in one season and got them to a bowl, and now taking advantage of relatively unknown hires at RU, Syracuse,Maryland and Virginia. Also fortunate not to be in the meat grinder of the Big 10 East.
They paid a extra for a well known Def Coord at a successful program. And it paid off. Let's hope RU is as fortunatel.

A ploy for him to get an extension after just one year, which thankfully worked! Probably eased the minds of some recruits too. Pitt's got their guy for the future.
Sorry guy...he'll be gone if a program with a stadium offers.

Narduzzi is not done on the recruiting trail.

Pitt is solidly in the mix for several Top rated WPIAL recruits which have not announced yet.
I am also hearing that former Rivals 4-star Maryland transfer Winfree (sp) is a Pitt lean.

Pitt is a program on the rise and the administration is committed to do what it takes (financially) to make it happen.

Article appearing in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette today, writer talked to Pitt AD Barnes about Pitt looking for an OC.

Cash for coordinators.

"As Pat Narduzzi searches for his next offensive coordinator, AD Barnes said Narduzzi has the resources to be competitive with the offer. Barnes said the current market for coordinators is "crazy", but reaffirmed the commitment Pitt has made to Narduzzi and football."

Because of his first year results some on this Board concluded that Narduzzi was not a good recruiter.
However, I think Narduzzi will turn out to be a formidable recruiter. Waiting for February for final rankings.

On this basis, HC Ash's recruiting ability cannot be determined with this years class of recruits.

Next year with full staffing in place and one year of HC experience under his belt will be the first year you can truly evaluate his performance.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Narduzzi has been there for nearly a year, first of all, and this class is ranked 41st AFTER going 8-4 and headed to a bowl game.

Can we please not act as if he's got a Top 10 class following a 2-10 season? Unreal.

Final results can only be determined in February.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Good for Pitt. Now expect Ketchup Stadium to be a full house when the kid plays [roll]

Over 8,000 tickets to date have been sold to Pitt fan going to the Military Bowl.

Pitt officials asked for additional ticket allotments.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT