ADVERTISEMENT

4 star RB chooses Pitt over Spartans & Badgers

Honestly I think your location hurts you, In the past four years I spent alot time in the NYC/NJ area and every time I came home I told my wife I have no idea how anybody could live there. Think where most of the big name football coaches come from I am pretty sure they are not from major metropolitan areas like NYC. Trust me as an outsider from the suburbs NYC/NJ can become overwhelming quickly.
Lombardi/Paterno....Off the top of my head..

Reactions: BLewis1968
Maybe so...but if you or your wife want to see a Broadway play or go to a great museum or eatery i wouldn't think Tuscaloosa or Norman.....Eli's Eli....not a colorful character but he did discourage SD from signing him so he could come here instead of playing in the best weather most beautiful city in the country...I KNOW....I lived there...LaJolla is amazing...Like most of us you don't seem to appreciate what you have or had...my Dad was from the beautiful Canadian Maratimes ... Prince Edward Island and he loved it but here's where great opportunity lies and ASAP he came back here....what good being a millionaire or star in the middle of nowhere...for those who can deal with it.....lightweights...meh..
Ha, no you wouldn't. But if you think proximity to talent, facilities, history, money, institutional commitment to winning...college football in NY/NJ comes up short with the possible exception of NJ talent compared to Oklahoma talent (when that program basically lives off Texas talent). And that's what coaches are making decisions on. If the wife wants to see a Broadway show, Urban has use of a private jet for 50 hours/year for personal use, they can fly to NY to see a show. This is all without mentioning, as was brought up after this post of yours, that big city living doesn't appeal to everyone and in some cases is probably actively working against you.

I think going to NY for Eli was more about the Giants being well run compared to the Chargers, Raiders, Cardinals or Browns at the time. But even if it were for NY, there's also guys like LeBron who have passed on NY (twice in his case) to go elsewhere because it afforded them a better chance to win. Which is what all this boils down to when you're talking about the best coaches. Where is the best opportunity to win? Anything that doesn't immediately help winning is just incidental.

As for your last question...I'm sure many people, even many in NYC, would trade living in the city for the security and freedom that kind of money can provide. Some (for example, Saban) are going to be remembered with the best there ever was at their chosen profession. Again, a trade off I'm sure many would make.

I love NYC- work there. Like NJ, live there.
But I would move in a heartbeat because I have already had the chance to spend a big portion of my life in the world's greatest city.
But let's make something very clear- Pittsburgh would make the bottom of my list of places to live.
And you sound dumb as hell talking about Coaches from here. Everyone else pointed out a couple but you can also include parcels with them as well. Any list that starts with guys like Lonbardi and Parcells, is a hell of a list.

But I would move in a heartbeat because I have already had the chance to spend a big portion of my life in the world's greatest city.
But let's make something very clear- Pittsburgh would make the bottom of my list of places to live.
And you sound dumb as hell talking about Coaches from here. Everyone else pointed out a couple but you can also include parcels with them as well. Any list that starts with guys like Lonbardi and Parcells, is a hell of a list.

Pittsburgh is one of the most underrated cities in the country. Living in Pittsburgh and being the head football coach at PITT are two different things.

Serious question, does the average football or sports fan in the city of Pittsburgh & adjacent suburbs root for Pen State or Pitt?

I'm talking about people who did not attend either school.
My impression from going there is it is all Steelers, all the time.

My impression from going there is it is all Steelers, all the time.

I always laugh when I see greatest fans list with Steelers at the top. Of course there are tons of fans...they've been relevant for 40 years. Pittsburgh fans are only fans when their team is good. Steelers - yes. Penguins - yes. Pirates prior to the last five years - LOL.

First of all, you should know what you are talking about before you run your mouth.

I don't post on the Penn State free board. It's a cesspool. If you knew anything about me or my opinion on CJF, you would know I said prior to the season that the jury was still out on Franklin's ability to coach. I also said his best role would most likely be to be a CEO and surround himself with great Xs and Os guys since he clearly isn't one. There are 100 posters or more on here who could vouch for that. I've called him exactly what he is - a glad hander, good publicity guy and a very good recruiter.

I've never said PSU was a bigger name or program than Michigan so you missed on that one as well.

If you don't have a clue what you are talking about, probably best for you to just shut your mouth instead of opening it and coming across as completely ignorant.

Nope, you never post on BWI.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/bob-shoop-to-tennessee.76305/page-3

I knew I had seen your name before. You are what is known as a liar. Thanks for playing.

Pittsburgh is one of the most underrated cities in the country. Living in Pittsburgh and being the head football coach at PITT are two different things.
I actually like Pittsburgh but not to live there. I will always have the Steelers to thank for the greatest football moment of my life. The day my boy earned his first start at LT for the Chargers in 2012 and earned Game MVP for his performance. I can never hate the city after that! :football:

Reactions: kjb32812 and rume
Hey I don't want to get into this disagreement but Pittsburgh always grade out high on places to live in the US. "Just Saying"

I understand Pittsburgh underwent a revitalization over the past 15-20 years or so. I had a former supervisor move to Pittsburgh after taking a position at the U of Pittsburgh, he wrote us shortly after telling us just how nice Pittsburgh had become with so much to do. Unfortunately for me I drove through Pittsburgh in July of 1992 and that was the last time I saw the area. It was a dreary day and the area was not very nice, we saw abandoned factories and dilapidated buildings. I guess I need to get out a little more.

I don't particularly like NYC. My girlfriend and I go into the "city" between 6 and 8 times a year. Each time we're forced to take the train (which I f$&@":/g hate with a passion). If you drive in it might cost you $60 round trip with parking. If you take the train it's $52 and $12 for subways. Do you think someone did their homework? If the good lord allows me to finish out my 25 years I will file for retirement and get the heck out of this area.

Last edited:
Grades out high because there are some good jobs there and the city really has re-vitalized...but bad enough it is PA but it is in the middle of no where.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT