ADVERTISEMENT

45 years ago today (11/30/77)... first RU game at the RAC!

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
Who was there?

24132029_10213083290369989_3905152529339997240_o.jpg

I was there. I went with my father. We got lost, and first went to Livingston Gym, thinking - “this is the new arena?”
First season in that Arena already had some classic games, Including NIT Wins over Coach K’s Army & Larry Bird& Indiana State..
Great win over No. 10 Syracuse, too!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/rutgers/1978-schedule.html

Looking back, so strange that we played The Hall at the RAC again a month later. (Beat 'em again, too! )

I was there. I went with my father. We got lost, and first went to Livingston Gym, thinking - “this is the new arena?”
First season in that Arena already had some classic games, Including NIT Wins over Coach K’s Army & Larry Bird& Indiana State..
Indiana State was 1978 (looks like Army was also).

EDIT: dumb post by me lol. Apparently a basketball season that starts in one year ends in the next calendar year. Who knew? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Last edited:
Forty-five years ago today -- Is it true there are still people on line for the men's room?

(I kid, I kid...)

Incidentally, Seton Hall was also the first opponent when Rider opened up their Alumni Gym back in (about) 1959, which is still their home court.

I wasn't at this game. But I did go on a trip with the Westfield Armory to see a Nets game that year to check out the new arena. I was 12 or 13 years old.

I didn't get to an RU game until my Freshman year in 1983.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
For oh so many years, the first thing that hit your sensories when you stepped into the RAC was the smell of that delicious popcorn.
My first game at the RAC. St. Patrick's Day 1980 - Celtics v. Nets. They had green popcorn. Also, the whole building was rooting for the Celtics although Eddie Jordan got cheers when Nets lineup was announced.

My first game at the RAC. St. Patrick's Day 1980 - Celtics v. Nets. They had green popcorn. Also, the whole building was rooting for the Celtics although Eddie Jordan got cheers when Nets lineup was announced.
Green popcorn! 😂

In that first year many of the students were in the 300 level, including my group for the Syracuse game. It so happens that the Orange brought a significant band presence that sat up there near us. Their band had a rhythmic tune they played regularly that ended with some fight song cheer. Well, they were quickly overwhelmed by RU students and fans who completed their song in perfect timing with “Syracuse Sucks”! And their band never stopped playing it so this continued throughout the game. For many years after my wife referred to it as the “Syracuse Sucks” game.

I was there. Actually unscrewed a seat back and hid it in my puffy jacket and walked out the door. Wrote the score and date on it and it went on my Birchwood Terrace apartment wall. No clue where it is today.

In that first year many of the students were in the 300 level, including my group for the Syracuse game. It so happens that the Orange brought a significant band presence that sat up there near us. Their band had a rhythmic tune they played regularly that ended with some fight song cheer. Well, they were quickly overwhelmed by RU students and fans who completed their song in perfect timing with “Syracuse Sucks”! And their band never stopped playing it so this continued throughout the game. For many years after my wife referred to it as the “Syracuse Sucks” game.
I remember that well! Ba ba ba Syracuse sucks. Lol

I was there. Actually unscrewed a seat back and hid it in my puffy jacket and walked out the door. Wrote the score and date on it and it went on my Birchwood Terrace apartment wall. No clue where it is today.
Awesome story despite the lost seat!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT